Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor in Dublin city centre

Options
  • 08-04-2016 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello,
    I'm in the process of buying a small apartment in the city centre (Christchurch area). I have a mortgage approved in principle and I'm looking for a solicitor to be ready as soon as we close the deal.

If you know a good solicitor with an affordable cost, would you mind contacting me by PM with the information?

I relocated to Ireland a bit more than 2 years ago so I'm not a huge expert on this kind of stuff, for my understanding I'll need a solicitor to finalize the sale, but not for anything else, am I right?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes, you strictly only *need* a solicitor to close the sale, but especially as you're not familiar with the Irish process, you will get badly burned if you don't engage one as soon as you have agreed a price with the vendor.

For example - you say you have your mortgage approved "in principle". Which is basically meaningless. You want to have your mortgage fully approved before you sign any contracts to purchase the property, or you could find yourself losing tens of thousands of euro. This is the kind of stuff a solicitor will catch and save you from.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Mod note:
    Recommendations by PM only please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

You know that every other building in D7 and D8 along the quays is a solicitors firm right? Did you now wonder what the domed building down the road was? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Drakoo

Yes I know that there are a lot of firms, I just wanted to look for an advice rather than going into a random firm as a foreigner :)

Drakoo wrote: »
    Yes I know that there are a lot of firms, I just wanted to look for an advice rather than going into a random firm as a foreigner :)

Phone around, the solicitor doesn't need to be geographically proximate to the property either really.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Phone around, the solicitor doesn't need to be geographically proximate to the property either really.

A solicitor should always be obtained by personal recommendation. Some are avaricious or incompetent or both.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    A solicitor should always be obtained by personal recommendation. Some are avaricious or incompetent or both.

I'd rather ring round than take recommendations of randomers on the interwebz. If they're a Lionel Hutz character recommending themselves or getting a friend to do it doesn't seem to be rocket surgery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Quality is highly variable. Getting legal work done is not like booking a holiday.
    Getting overcharged, having title problems dealing with the consequences of a strike off and having to pay another solicitor to sort out the mess made by the first one are just some of the things that can happen.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Quality is highly variable. Getting legal work done is not like booking a holiday.
    Getting overcharged, having title problems dealing with the consequences of a strike off and having to pay another solicitor to sort out the mess made by the first one are just some of the things that can happen.

To be fair you're much more likely to encounter a dodgey travel agent that leaves you stuck in Timbucktoo than a Solicitor that can't handle a simple conveyance based on the quays.

I'd have a lot more faith in the Law Soc than ABTA any day of the week.

Proper Personal face to face references are, of course, preferable. However the issue of rougue soliciors is blown way out of proportion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The OP asked for a recommendation not a lecture folks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement