Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official ESTA Application Website

Options
  • 08-04-2016 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

The Official ESTA Application Website appears to be down for the last 5 days or more.

I've used it many times over many years and never had this situation before.

Would this be something that happens from time to time?

It shows as down via "Is it down Right Now" too

Just in case there is something going on at my end could some of you see if you can get to the link?

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

There are a lot of sites out there that pretend to be the real deal but are not so I'm only looking to access the official one.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

No trouble here. Try clearing your cache... if that doesn't work, completely exiting all your browsers and waiting a few moments before reopening them... if that doesn't work, restarting your computer... in that order. If that still doesn't work, reset your router and try again; your IP might be blocked or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

All of a sudden this is not funny :mad:

I have 2 desktops here both using different OS's and neither of them will connect to that site.

I have tried different browsers and cleared their cache but still no joy.

I have reset the router and that didn't help either???

I've even gone to the Windows Hosts file but there is nothing up there either?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Are you using the full link https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html ?

Speedwell wrote: »
    Are you using the full link https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html ?

Yep, I tried that too but no luck.

2 Desktops with Win 7 & 10

Old Laptop with XP

I can't get to it on my phone either so I'm thinking it has to be IP related although I have no idea as to why that might be or what I can do to correct it.

Yep, I tried that too but no luck.

2 Desktops with Win 7 & 10

Old Laptop with XP

I can't get to it on my phone either so I'm thinking it has to be IP related although I have no idea as to why that might be or what I can do to correct it.

ugh, I know, right? I thought resetting your router would have done it but you had no luck with that. Call your Internet provider... if I were you I'd have been down to the local library or wi-fi equipped pub ages ago. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Try changing your router dns to Google dns 8.8.8.8

irishgeo wrote: »
    Try changing your router dns to Google dns 8.8.8.8

Thanks for that suggestion irishgeo but it hasn't sorted the issue unfortunately.

I have the ESTA well sorted from another location but I want to find out what's denying me access from here......

Thanks for that suggestion irishgeo but it hasn't sorted the issue unfortunately.

I have the ESTA well sorted from another location but I want to find out what's denying me access from here......

open a cmd prompt

type tracert esta.cbp.dhs.gov and post the results

eccca060ca.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Guessing by that octet you're on Virgin. If you only have their modem in place they have you on DSLite. This shouldn't be preventing this working but it has caused weird behavior before. Their customer service reps need to turn it off on your account.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Guessing by that octet you're on Virgin. If you only have their modem in place they have you on DSLite. This shouldn't be preventing this working but it has caused weird behavior before. Their customer service reps need to turn it off on your account.

Yes ED I'm with Virgin and have the Cisco EPC3925 modem bridged with my own Netgear router doing the work.

I was sure I wasn't but how can I check to see if I'm on DSLite? Would I have an IPV6 address? because I don't as far as I know.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I have Virgin Media and cannot access that site either..

Nick

virgin routing issue so.

irishgeo wrote: »
    virgin routing issue so.

How do we go about reporting that or what should we describe it as to them?

How do we go about reporting that or what should we describe it as to them?

Post in the Virgin Media "Talk To" section and add a link to this thread?

Speedwell wrote: »
    Post in the Virgin Media "Talk To" section and add a link to this thread?

Done.

LINK:

Yes ED I'm with Virgin and have the Cisco EPC3925 modem bridged with my own Netgear router doing the work.

I was sure I wasn't but how can I check to see if I'm on DSLite? Would I have an IPV6 address? because I don't as far as I know.

You may be on DSLite or you may not be bridged at all!

If your netgear had a public address itself you would see:
    1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms YOUR NETGEAR [192.168.2.1]
    2 9 ms 7 ms 6 ms 109.255.x.x
    But you see an extra 10. private hop in between. What does the connection section of your Netgear say?

It's quite unlikely to be a routing issue as I'm on the same Class B (109.255.) and it routes just fine for me. We should be within the same AS so border routing would normally be shared.

Yoyo have you checked if you're on DSLite?

You may be on DSLite or you may not be bridged at all!

Is there any straight forward way to check if I am on DSLite?

The Cisco has the bridge option in the firmware and that's how I bridged it.

Unless you're running a linux server and have put it in a DMZ I'd put €100 that you ARE on DSLite.
    Aggressive OS guesses: FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE (93%), FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE (90%), HP 4000M ProCurve switch (J4121A) (88%), Netasq U70 firewall (86%), Konica Minolta bizhub C253 printer (86%), OpenBSD 4.0 (86%), Juniper Networks JUNOS 9.0R2.10 (86%), m0n0wall 1.22 - 1.23b1 firewall (FreeBSD 4.11) (86%), Canon imageRUNNER C2380 or C2880i printer (86%), IronPort AsyncOS 7.5.1 (85%)

No exact OS matches for host (test conditions non-ideal).

Uptime guess: 24.064 days (since Tue Mar 15 16:59:59 2016)

Just login to 192.168.2.1 and you'll see its leased a V6 address. You need to PM the VMI reps with name address DOB acc-number and request DSLite be turned off. Won't happen until Monday after 1PM now. If you phone them tomorrow the weekend cover *might* be able to do it.

I'm able to access the website via VPN, turn of VPN and the connection is timing out. Looks to be a routing issue with UPC alright

Nick

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    I'm able to access the website via VPN, turn of VPN and the connection is timing out. Looks to be a routing issue with UPC alright

Nick

If you trace it do you see a 10. address? A VPN nulls the effects of CGN so its not necessarily a straight routing blunder.

Unless you're running a linux server and have put it in a DMZ I'd put €100 that you ARE on DSLite.

Just login to 192.168.2.1 and you'll see its leased a V6 address. You need to PM the VMI reps with name address DOB acc-number and request DSLite be turned off. Won't happen until Monday after 1PM now. If you phone them tomorrow the weekend cover *might* be able to do it.

This is what I see when I log into the Netgear

IP Address 92.235.46.252

What section of the router will I see if it's a V6 address?

If you trace it do you see a 10. address? A VPN nulls the effects of CGN so its not necessarily a straight routing blunder.

Yep! Indeed. Here are some screens:
    Working (with VPN):
    382676.png
    Not working (VPN off)
    382675.png

You both see an intermediate hop, sounds like CGN to me.

http://ipv6-test.com/ Thats a nice quick test

You both see an intermediate hop, sounds like CGN to me.

http://ipv6-test.com/ Thats a nice quick test

According to that quick test I'm on IPV4 ED

I jumped the gun so guys, the hop is the CMTS (different config in your area) so its a routing messup.

17339-i-m-so-embarrassed.jpg

For you it may be going dead between Aorta and Verizons networks, fine for me. Hopefully Virgins NOC get on it.

According to that quick test I'm on IPV4 ED

Likewise!

Nick

I jumped the gun so guys, the hop is the CMTS (different config in your area) so its a routing messup.

17339-i-m-so-embarrassed.jpg

For you it may be going dead between Aorta and Verizons networks, fine for me. Hopefully Virgins NOC get on it.

I have little knowledge of networking so I'm relying on guy's like you to point me in the right direction.

Bottom line is that there appears to be an issue and the goal is to get it sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

I'm also with virgin, when I type the url with https:// it works but when I type without the s http:// it doesn't work, my ip address is range 92.235.45.x

• Advertisement

nava wrote: »
    I'm also with virgin, when I type the url with https:// it works but when I type without the s http:// it doesn't work, my ip address is range 92.235.45.x

The 'S' is there for a reason, It's a secure site and is not meant to work without the 'S'

Advertisement