Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hybrid VRT question

2»

Comments

peposhi wrote: »
    It's not only the car itself that makes money, Mad Lad... The bloody service parts are the one that make a fortune...

Indeed, how could I forget. :D

BoatMad wrote: »

secondly , most hybrids are quite frankly JUNK , batteries with 20km range etc , these are just " rule beaters", as the NEDC test is carried out over slow speeds and restricted ranges and hence these hybrids can claim low emissions from the test , whereas in real life the damm things are just petrol engine cars

in my view there should be no incentives to own hybrids , pure BEVs are the way to go .

We could and should have been driving hybrids years ago, diesel was the greatest con ever.

20 kms are plug ins, but even non plug in hybrids are better than diesels.

I was a die hard Diesel fan for years and clocked up well over 350,000 miles in diesels both non turbo to the PD Turbo diesel VW's. But after driving the prius from a PD VW Group diesel was just amazing and I never turned back since then.

The MK II Prius that came out in 2004 was so much better than any diesel, 60-64 mpg from a petrol automatic was amazing. 12 years later, the majority of people are still driving diesels.

I agree that today BEV's are the way forward. But the message is slow to get through but if you check out my thread from earlier today the Leaf is actually not selling that bad in Ireland compared to many other models.

What we could have had years ago if chevron Texaco did not own the rights to the NiMh battery, they forbid any Auto maker from making a hybrid with a battery larger than that of the non plug in prius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Hi folks,
    Question still remauins however - how do you claim the rebate? Looking at a car, vrt payable will be about €2100. 2 years old so rebate of €1350 which means effective vrt payable of €700 roughly.
    Do you pay the full whack at the NCTS centre on the day of the asessment and claim the rebate back (and f so, how) or does the NCTS factor the rebate amount in before giving you a payable amount?
    Thanks

BTW it's a lexus CT200h I'm getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Hi folks,
    Question still remauins however - how do you claim the rebate? Looking at a car, vrt payable will be about €2100. 2 years old so rebate of €1350 which means effective vrt payable of €700 roughly.
    Do you pay the full whack at the NCTS centre on the day of the asessment and claim the rebate back (and f so, how) or does the NCTS factor the rebate amount in before giving you a payable amount?
    Thanks

BTW it's a lexus CT200h I'm getting.

the latter. The figure you online get includes the rebate already

grogi wrote: »
    the latter. The figure you online get includes the rebate already

Balls...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭WattsUp

I recently registered as PHEV. There wasn't a code on the VRT system. They inspected the car, scanned all documentation etc and said they would request a code from revenue and usually get it the same day.

That afternoon the NCT called and said my quote was ready. It correctly calculated VRT at 14% based on their value and then reduced VRT bill by 2250 for a plug-in hybrid.

I just popped down and paid the bill that day. Done and dusted.

For example if current OMSP value was 20000 and VRT rate was 14% you would expect to pay 2800 for a normal car. However for a hybrid, less than 2 years old, you would see a VRT bill of 1450 (2800-1350). Have a look in the VRT calculator for a examples like the prius.

20rothmans wrote: »
    I recently registered as PHEV. There wasn't a code on the VRT system. They inspected the car, scanned all documentation etc and said they would request a code from revenue and usually get it the same day.

That afternoon the NCT called and said my quote was ready. It correctly calculated VRT at 14% based on their value and then reduced VRT bill by 2250 for a plug-in hybrid.

I just popped down and paid the bill that day. Done and dusted.

For example if current OMSP value was 20000 and VRT rate was 14% you would expect to pay 2800 for a normal car. However for a hybrid, less than 2 years old, you would see a VRT bill of 1450 (2800-1350). Have a look in the VRT calculator for a examples like the prius.
    Hi - thanks for that. Can I just ask if the quote on the vrt calculator is inclusive of the rebate? For example right now I'm getting vrt estimate of about €2100 on a lexis CT200H. Is this inclusive of the rebate? Is this what I would be liable for or would it be €900 odd?

Assuming a value (current OMSP) from revenue of 23000 then 15% VRT would be 3450. Take away the 1350 and would be expecting a quote around 2100.....

I suspect VRT discount is already in the quote unless your car is valued at 14000 by revenue :-(

Sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Hi - thanks for that. Can I just ask if the quote on the vrt calculator is inclusive of the rebate? For example right now I'm getting vrt estimate of about €2100 on a lexis CT200H. Is this inclusive of the rebate? Is this what I would be liable for or would it be €900 odd?

Yes. Despite not stating it anywhere in the quotation, the rebate is included.

Worth doing calculation yourself to check anyway. When importing a Plug In Hybrid it was incorrectly classified as a Hybrid and the 1350 discount applied instead of 2250......That was why they had to get a new code from revenue and saved me 900.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

How accurate is the vrt amount given on the website?
    It says €3440 for a 132 is300h f sport.

It's got premium sat nav and full leather upgrades which I assume are not included in the figure given.
    Would I be looking at much more?

This document describes the process. Section 8.3.3 deals with extras

http://www.revenue.ie/en/about/foi/s16/vehicle-registration-tax/vrt-manual-section-08.pdf?download=true

Seems like for a 3 year old car 40% of the original cost of optional extras is added to the valuation. Then VRT for you is calculated at 16% of that valuation.

I'd guess extras will cost you 16% of 40% of their original cost. If leather cost 2000 new then it might add €128 to your VRT bill.

Advertisement