Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Cross Border Sim Only Deal

Options
  • 08-04-2016 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

I live in Northern Ireland my current mobile contract is coming to an end and I am interested in a pay monthly sim only deal.

Roaming charges, while not a major consideration, are something to be taken into account. I don't phone the Republic that often but when I'm in the Republic I do want to be able to contact home.

Any recommendations as to the best provider or sim only deal?

As always many thanks

Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

One major here is the NI providers implementation of the EU roaming regulations due to come in later in the month, some of these details are uncertain.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

kah22 wrote: »
    I live in Northern Ireland my current mobile contract is coming to an end and I am interested in a pay monthly sim only deal.

Roaming charges, while not a major consideration, are something to be taken into account. I don't phone the Republic that often but when I'm in the Republic I do want to be able to contact home.

Any recommendations as to the best provider or sim only deal?

As always many thanks

Kevin

It's not clear how much data you need while in NI? If you want a provider in ROI, then Meteor & Eir are the best options as they both offer free roaming throughout Europe including up to 1GB per month (bill-pay only).

Avoid Three Ireland and all the resellers that use their excuse of a network. Three has been banjaxed since their botched up takeover of O2 last year and shows no signs of improving. Also, if you accidentally roam off Three when in NI you will be fleeced for €250 per GB ! This is due to increase to €1,000 per GB on 1st May.

Vodafone Ireland have a good network but roaming is expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭kah22

bugfreebob wrote: »
    !Avoid Three Ireland and all the resellers that use their excuse of a network. Three has been banjaxed since their botched up takeover of O2 last year and shows no signs of improving. Also, if you accidentally roam off Three when in NI you will be fleeced for €250 per GB ! This is due to increase to €1,000 per GB on 1st May.

Vodafone Ireland have a good network but roaming is expensive.
    thanks for that bit of info and thanks of course to all who replied.

As mentioned in my OP phoning South is not a major issue, it's just when I'm down South I don't want to be stuck with high rates

Are roaming charges not suppose to be going. For people living across the water that's probably not a major issue but for people living in border regions it can be a major consideration. Indeed I know some people who keep two phones one for North and one for South

Advertisement