Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notification of switching provider from Eir while out of contract. Please do not fine

Options
  • 08-04-2016 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

Hello Eir,

My Eir broadband contract is up today.

Previously when I moved from Eircom to Sky (after my contract was up) I got fined by Eircom for not giving 30 days notice, even though I was no longer in contract. 
    Many Eircom customers were affected by this. 

Comreg ruled that Eircom were wrong to do this to their customers:
    Reference:
    http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg13114.pdf
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057076118

From a few of the current threads on this forum it looks like people may still be affected by this.

This thread is to notify you that I am out of contract with Eir and I will be moving service provider next week.
    I do not want to cancel my Eir account as my new provider needs an existing active broadband account to switch from, so I am worried that ringing 1901 and speaking with cancellations may cancel the account.
    Can you please confirm in writing that you will not fine again me for switching broadband provider next week while out of contract? I can send my account number.

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

cork_south wrote: »
    Hello Eir,

Previously when I moved from Eircom to Sky (after my contract was up) I got fined by Eircom for not giving 30 days notice, even though I was no longer in contract. 

Reference:

From a few of the current threads on this forum it looks like people may still be affected by this.

This thread is to notify you that I am out of contract with Eir and I will be moving service provider next week.
    I do not want to cancel my Eir account as my new provider needs an existing active broadband account to switch from, so I am worried that ringing 1901 and speaking with cancellations may cancel the account.
    Can you please confirm in writing that you will not fine again me for switching broadband provider next week while out of contract? I can send my account number.

Thanks a lot.
    Hi cork_south,

Thanks for getting in touch.
    All cancellations must be submitted in writing including your relevant account information to the cancellations department advising of your 30 day written notice as per the eir terms and conditions here https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/eir_General_Terms_and_Conditions.pdf

I'm afraid this thread  would not meet the cancellation terms and conditions. I would recommend contacting the cancellations team on 1901 to discuss this in further detail.

-Pamela 

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Hello Eir,

Reference:

Thanks a lot.
    Hi cork_south,

All cancellations must be submitted in writing including your relevant account information to the cancellations department advising of your 30 day written notice as per the eir terms and conditions here https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/eir_General_Terms_and_Conditions.pdf

I'm afraid this thread  would not meet the cancellation terms and conditions. I would recommend contacting the cancellations team on 1901 to discuss this in further detail.

-Pamela 

Hi Pamela,

Thanks for getting back to me.

My goal here is simply to switch broadband provider without getting fined by Eir again.

My new provider said not to cancel the Eir account as that will make it very difficult to switch.
    So I do not want to cancel the account, I just want to switch provider.

Can you please help to answer the following questions to help me understand the switching process?
    ==================================================================

1. Can you please provide Eirs feedback on Comregs ruling regarding Eir account cancellation procedures found in the following link?http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg13114.pdf
    Eirs current terms and conditions still seem to contradict Comregs ruling for switching provider after a customers contract has finished.
    What is Eirs feedback on that ruling?

2. Just so I understand correctly, a customer for Eir can sign up for an account online (very easy), but to switch service provider outside of contract a customer would still need to physically post in a letter to Eir and wait 30 days? 
    Can you confirm?

3. Please confirm Eirs recommended best practices when a customer wants to switch provider (not cancel account).
    Note: My new provider requests that an account be active for the switch to occur.
    If I contact the new provider and they switch over a few days early, will Eir fine me again?
    If Eir close the account, then the new provider wont be able to sign me up.
    Can you please confirm how I can switch an active Eir account to a new service provider.
    If this is not possible, please confirm.

4. Can you confirm that when the switch has completed I need to post back the Eir router?
    If I don't post the router back, I will get fined correct?

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Twelve Bar Blues

Hi CorkSouth,
    Do you have a landline on your Eir account, and is a landline included in your service from new provider?
    If so, you can submit a number porting request which transfers your Eir number to your new provider. This also serves as notice to cancel your Eir broadband and phone account. Your new provider should advise you of this as part of the ordering process.
    You might still be charged for a notice period by Eir, but at least the changeover should be seamless and you will not have to send multiple communications.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Twelve Bar Blues

Hi CorkSouth,
    Do you have a landline on your Eir account, and is a landline included in your service from new provider?
    If so, you can submit a number porting request which transfers your Eir number to your new provider. This also serves as notice to cancel your Eir broadband and phone account. Your new provider should advise you of this as part of the ordering process.
    You might still be charged for a notice period by Eir, but at least the changeover should be seamless and you will not have to send multiple communications.

Hi CorkSouth,
    Hi 12Bar,

Thx for the help. Unfortunately I have eFibre only with Eir and am switching to Broadband only with the new provider.

Having been stung by Eircom in the past for moving provider outside of contract I am going to try to avoid getting stung a 2nd time so hopefully someone from Eir will answer all of the 4 questions above for me.

• Advertisement

Hello Eir,

Reference:

Thanks a lot.
    Hi cork_south,

-Pamela 

Hi Pamela,

My goal here is simply to switch broadband provider without getting fined by Eir again.

My new provider said not to cancel the Eir account as that will make it very difficult to switch.

Can you please help to answer the following questions to help me understand the switching process?

1. Can you please provide Eirs feedback on Comregs ruling regarding Eir account cancellation procedures found in the following link?http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg13114.pdf
    Eirs current terms and conditions still seem to contradict Comregs ruling for switching provider after a customers contract has finished.

2. Just so I understand correctly, a customer for Eir can sign up for an account online (very easy), but to switch service provider outside of contract a customer would still need to physically post in a letter to Eir and wait 30 days? 
    Can you confirm?

3. Please confirm Eirs recommended best practices when a customer wants to switch provider (not cancel account).
    Note: My new provider requests that an account be active for the switch to occur.
    If I contact the new provider and they switch over a few days early, will Eir fine me again?
    Can you please confirm how I can switch an active Eir account to a new service provider.

4. Can you confirm that when the switch has completed I need to post back the Eir router?

Thanks for your help.
    No problem  cork_south,
    Unfortunately I would be unable to advise of the cancellation process from here, I would recommend contacting cancellations directly and they will be more than happy to advise you of the correct process and add the relevant notes to your account.

If you wish to cancel your contract under the Regulations, you must return to us any Equipment (this includes the modem) to us within fourteen days of the date you provide us with written notice that you wish to cancel the contract. Usually a courier will be in contact with you to collect the equipment.

-Pamela 

Hello Eir,

Reference:

Thanks a lot.
    Hi cork_south,

-Pamela 

Hi Pamela,

Can you confirm?

Thanks for your help.
    No problem  cork_south,
    Unfortunately I would be unable to advise of the cancellation process from here, I would recommend contacting cancellations directly and they will be more than happy to advise you of the correct process and add the relevant notes to your account.

If you wish to cancel your contract under the Regulations, you must return to us any Equipment (this includes the modem) to us within fourteen days of the date you provide us with written notice that you wish to cancel the contract. Usually a courier will be in contact with you to collect the equipment.

-Pamela 
    Hi Pamela,

I do not wish to cancel the contract. I just want to switch provider.
    My contract with Eir has already finished; I am no longer under contract.

I will call the cancellations number (though I do not want to cancel a non-existent contract) and try to figure this out.

Any chance of me ever returning to Eir is long gone after seeing this fiasco is still carrying on 18 months after the last time I got stung.

Thanks for your help anyway, I know your hands are tied here.

Hello Eir,

Reference:

Thanks a lot.
    Hi cork_south,

-Pamela 
    Hi Pamela,

I rang 1901 (option 4, then 3) and spoke with your colleague named Queen from the Retention department.

Queen has confirmed that she has accepted my notice period of switching via telephone.
    Queen confirmed that contrary to the statement above that "All cancellations must be submitted in writing" that I DO NOT have to send any letter to Eircom, and that I can switch provider from May 11th.
    Switching can be done online via https://www.eir.ie/switchingForm.jsp or via telephone.

So there is no further confusion for any other customers who would like to switch provider, below (Eir Website) is where it says you DO NOT have to provide written confirmation AND if you switch you will not be charged. This link could be passed to other customers to stop all the confusion.

https://www.eir.ie/switching/
    [font=eir-medium-web, 'Arial Medium']Switching to another Service Provider[/font]
    [font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial]There are a few important things that you need to be aware of if you are switching your services to a new service provider:[/font]
    • You are obliged under the terms of your contract with eir to provide 30 days' notice of your intention to switch service provider.
    • Customers who switch service provider without giving eir 30 days' notice of their intention to switch *will not be charged a penalty fee.*
    • You may currently be in a service contract with eir; if you choose to switch provider while you are still in the minimum period of your contract you will be liable for early cease fees and charges. If you are unsure whether or not you are still in the minimum period of your contract:
      • - You will have received a letter from eir informing you of the terms of contract when you last entered into a contract
      • - You can call an eir customer service advisor at 1800 504 110.
    [*]
    [font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial]We want to make sure you do not suffer a break in your service. To avoid this please read below.[/font]
    [font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial]You can give your notice to Switch provider by either one of the following methods:[/font] [*]

Thx for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

Hi cork_south,

-Pamela 

That is not correct, as per ComReg rules you are supposed to be able to switch providers (once out of contract) without contacting the previous provider.

Your are absolutely not supposed to have to deal with the previous provider's "cancellation" (sales) department to do this.

Please confirm with ComReg that this is definitely the case and just switch. If Eir "fine" you they can explain it to ComReg.

12Phase wrote: »
    Hi cork_south,

-Pamela 

That is not correct, as per ComReg rules you are supposed to be able to switch providers (once out of contract) without contacting the previous provider.
    Hi 12Phase,

It looks like you are right according to https://www.eir.ie/switching/

This has been very confusing.

I am not sure what to believe, should I wait the 30 days before contacting my new provider or could I do it now?
    I honestly do not know but it looks like it will be safest for me just to wait it out.
    All I want is to switch providers, while out of contract, without getting fined by Eir again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

This....

Unfortunately half the reps you get through to in Eir haven't a clue about Eir policies (and can usually only escalate to relevant departments) and will spin you a different yarn every time you talk to them, I think this is down to bad CS training to be honest....

Hi 12Phase,

I am not sure what to believe, should I wait the 3o days before contacting my new provider or could I do it now?
    I honestly do not know.
    All I want is to switch providers, while out of contract, without getting fined by Eir again.

If you're out of contract (confirm this with Eir if you like) then just contact a new provider and they will handle the switch over. There's nornally no disruption to voice but there may be disruption to broadband (although usually not that much).

It's basically an automated process.

Also be VERY careful about cancelling! You may end up actually closing the line entirely and suddenly incurring activation fees and delays.

You're passing the full service over to the other provider and just not activating the voice services again. That shouldn't matter. You're moving the "line" (line rental) to another provider who takes over everything. Whether or not they activate the POTS voice services is no longer any of eir's business.

Hi 12Phase,

I am not sure what to believe, should I wait the 3o days before contacting my new provider or could I do it now?
    I honestly do not know.

If you're out of contract (confirm this with Eir if you like) then just contact a new provider and they will handle the switch over. There's nornally no disruption to voice but there may be disruption to  broadband (although usually not that much).

It's basically an automated process.
    My 18 month contract is up since last week.

Aswell as via telephone, I also used the Eir Online switching form which came back with the following after I submit it.

Switching or Changing Service Provider
    Thank you for using the online Switching confirmation form.
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]Your request has been recorded. We will issue you with written confirmation of your request by post within 5 working days which will outline the date on which your 30 day notice requirement will be completed.[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]For your information; the 30 days' notice period will be completed in 30 calendar days from today's date; unless the completion date falls on a weekend or a bank holiday - in which case it will be the preceding working day.[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]If you are still within the minimum term on your services from eir you will be liable for early cease charges; please contact a customer service advisor at 1800 504 110 who will advise you of any charges which will be applicable. [/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Alternatively log on to www.eir.ie/switching for further information on what charges will appear on your final bill.[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]If you wish to change your mind about giving notice to switch service provider or would like to discuss what other alternatives may be available to you please call 1800 504 110 to talk to a customer service agent.[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]We would like to thank you for your custom and we hope that we can be of further assistance to you in the future.[/font]
    [font=Arial, sans-serif]Thank you,[/font]

[font=Arial, sans-serif]eir[/font]

That's all totally unnecessary and ComReg already issued them with a non compliance notice over it.

Unbelievable tbh!

Please contact ComReg. They should be made aware of these things .

That's all totally unnecessary and ComReg already issued them with a non compliance notice over it.

Unbelievable tbh!

Too much hassle. 
    I just want to switch and be done with it.

I might call back when I receive the letter to see if someone can confirm what will happen if the new provider takes over before the 30 day period as the website says I won't be charged.

Confusing stuff.

Unbelievable tbh!

Too much hassle. 
    I just want to switch and be done with it.

I might call back when I receive the letter to see if someone can confirm what will happen if the new provider takes over before the 30 day period as the website says I won't be charged.

Confusing stuff.
    Once you have followed the correct process there should be no issues with cancelling  cork_south,
    If you do have any issues with your final bill feel free to PM me and I'll resolve it for you :)

-Pamela 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I am so glad I read this, not worth signing up to Eir. Much easier dealing with the resellers than this crap, particularly company that is only giving lip service to comreg

I flagged the eir 'switch' site with ComReg anyway. Just as a general thing!

I flagged the eir 'switch' site with ComReg anyway. Just as a general thing!
    No problem 12Phase,

-Pamela 

• Advertisement

Once you have followed the correct process there should be no issues with cancelling  cork_south,
    If you do have any issues with your final bill feel free to PM me and I'll resolve it for you :)

-Pamela 
    Hi Pamela,

Today i got my letter from Eir stating:
    "Your 30 days notice period to switch provider will be complete on 10/05/2016"

It states that if I am within the minimum terms of my contract I will be liable for early cease charges.
    It does not state what happens if you switch within the 30 days while out of contract.

Could someone in Eir please confirm that this early cease charge mentioned in the letter does not apply to me as I am out of contract?
    Also as per www.eir.ie/switching
    [font=eir-medium-web, 'Arial Medium']Switching to another Service Provider[/font]
    [font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial]There are a few important things that you need to be aware of if you are switching your services to a new service provider.[/font]
    • Customers who switch service provider without giving eir 30 days' notice of their intention to switch will not be charged a penalty fee.
    [*]

Can I contact my new provider now and start the switching process without getting fined by Eir?

Thanks for your help.

-Pamela 
    Hi Pamela,

It states that if I am within the minimum terms of my contract I will be liable for early cease charges.
    It does not state what happens if you switch within the 30 days while out of contract.

Could someone in Eir please confirm that this early cease charge mentioned in the letter does not apply to me as I am out of contract?
    [font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial]There are a few important things that you need to be aware of if you are switching your services to a new service provider.[/font]
    • Customers who switch service provider without giving eir 30 days' notice of their intention to switch will not be charged a penalty fee.

[*]

Can I contact my new provider now and start the switching process without getting fined by Eir?

Thanks for your help.
    [*]
    Can you PM me your account number cork_south and I will check if you are out of contact.

-Pamela 

-Pamela 
    Hi Pamela,

[*]

Thanks for your help.

[*]
    Can you PM me your account number cork_south and I will check if you are out of contact.

-Pamela 
    [*]
    Sure Pamela, I was out of contract last month and was waiting for the contract to end so I could switch.
    PM sent.

-Pamela 
    Hi Pamela,

[*]

Thanks for your help.

[*]

-Pamela 

[*]
    Sure Pamela, I was out of contract last month and was waiting for the contract to end so I could switch.
    PM sent.
    [*]
    No problem cork_southI'll check this and be back to you soon.

-Pamela 

-Pamela 
    Hi Pamela,

[*]

Thanks for your help.

[*]

-Pamela 

[*]
    PM sent.

[*]

-Pamela 
    [*]
    Thanks for confirming I am out of contract. I sent a couple of PMs back but for some reason they are not going into sent PMs.

As I am out of contract can you please confirm that I can contact the new provider now to start the switch over, without getting fined by Eir?

Thanks.

-Pamela 
    Hi Pamela,

[*]

Thanks for your help.

[*]

-Pamela 

[*]
    PM sent.

[*]

-Pamela 

[*]
    Thanks for confirming I am out of contract. I sent a couple of PMs back but for some reason they are not going into sent PMs.

As I am out of contract can you please confirm that I can contact the new provider now to start the switch over, without getting fined by Eir?

Thanks.
    [*]
    No problem  cork_south :)
    I can confirm you are out of contract and you should not be charged an early cease charge when cancelling your account.

-Pamela 

-Pamela 
    Hi Pamela,

[*]

Thanks for your help.

[*]

-Pamela 

[*]
    PM sent.

[*]

-Pamela 

[*]

Thanks.

[*]
    I can confirm you are out of contract and you should not be charged an early cease charge when cancelling your account.

-Pamela 
    [*]

Thx for the confirmation Pamela.

-Pamela 
    Hi Pamela,

[*]

Thanks for your help.

[*]

-Pamela 

[*]
    PM sent.

[*]

-Pamela 

[*]

Thanks.

[*]

-Pamela 

[*]

Thx for the confirmation Pamela.
    [*]
    No problem cork_south :)

-Pamela 

Hi Pamela,

I have moved to a new provider today.
    I called eircom and they said a courier might or might not call to pick up eircom router.

Can you please make sure if a courier does not call to pick up the router that I will not be fined 60 euro?

Thx.

• Advertisement

Hi Pamela,

I have moved to a new provider today.
    I called eircom and they said a courier might or might not call to pick up eircom router.

Can you please make sure if a courier does not call to pick up the router that I will not be fined 60 euro?

Thx.
    That's no problem cork_south,

Can you send me a PM with your details and I will ensure this will not happen.

-Pamela 

Advertisement