Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 National Champs

Options
  • 08-04-2016 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/orwell-wheelers-to-host-national-road-championships/1967
    Cycling Ireland are delighted to announce that Dublin based cycling club Orwell Wheelers has been successful in its bid to host the National Road Race Championships from 23-26 June. The former club of Stephen Roche will use the Phoenix Park as a focal point for the championships, it being the planned location for the start and finish area, subject to licence.

Hope to see you all there - either racing, spectating or marshalling! :):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

What time of day would most of the races be on? Mornings or evenings?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

brianomc wrote: »
    What time of day would most of the races be on? Mornings or evenings?

Generally the TT is on a weekday evening, and the road races at the weekend in the morning or afternoon. All schedules will depend on logistics and licences though, keep an ear out for updates!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Subject to licence are the important words in that statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Oh no my Phoenix Park KOMs begone...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Alek wrote: »
    Oh no my Phoenix Park KOMs begone...

Its not cyclocross

• Advertisement

Subject to licence are the important words in that statement.

Don't see why it shouldn't happen. The Park host lots events each year and only held the Iron Man event last year. They can keep some of the roads open and still run these events.

Great news and should be a good turn out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Fantastic news.
    Been waiting years for racing to return to Phoenix Park. And bringing it back to the city. Had a funny feeling when I saw it initially fall through that this would happen. Hope it is a great success now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Fantastic stuff, and a great location, well done to Orwell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

I dont envisage the race will be just in the park. Dont the regulations say the min circuit length is 10km? Would you get that in there

I think it would start there out for some laps and then back in for the finish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Brilliant news. Great job Orwell. If you need bodies to do anything just say the word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

morana wrote: »
    I dont envisage the race will be just in the park. Dont the regulations say the min circuit length is 10km? Would you get that in there

I think it would start there out for some laps and then back in for the finish
    The simple loop is 9.3km, it would be easy enough to add a bit to bring it over 10km.

That said I'll be campaigning to bring the race out of the park and past my house to make my marshalling slot more convenient.

Lumen wrote: »
    The simple loop is 9.3km, it would be easy enough to add a bit to bring it over 10km.

That said I'll be campaigning to bring the race out of the park and past my house to make my marshalling slot more convenient.

Yes but some of the 9.3 is like a bmx course. The north road is awful so I doubt that will be included. Pot holes and speed ramps the whole way.

Plus it would probably mean closing the zoo for a while on summer weekend which will not happen. I'd reckon the s bends, Khyber and out of the park up chesterfield avenue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Yes but some of the 9.3 is like a bmx course. The north road is awful so I doubt that will be included. Pot holes and speed ramps the whole way.

Plus it would probably mean closing the zoo for a while on summer weekend which will not happen. I'd reckon the s bends, Khyber and out of the park up chesterfield avenue

I'll admit I'm not that familiar with the park, but would there be much of a climb in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

Route it through Chapelizod and up the hill to Castleknock college. Nice climb there that goes under walkway of nursing home.

stecleary wrote: »
    I'll admit I'm not that familiar with the park, but would there be much of a climb in it?

It's definitely not a flat course and has some inclines with max of maybe 5% but there could be 3 or 4 of them inclines on one lap depending which way they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

After ten weeks of planning, we're back to square one. :(:(

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/change-of-venue-for-national-championships-not-guaranteed/2030
    The National Road Race and Time Trial Championships may take place in Wicklow, following an announcement from the Garda Síochana, that they cannot take place in the Phoenix Park as previously planned. On the weekend of the 23-26 June there will be restricted access to the Phoenix Park due to a major security operation that will be in place; this means that no public events will be granted access to the park. Likewise no other location in the Dublin area could be considered due to Garda resources required for this security operation. This recent development comes as a massive disappointment to the event hosts Orwell Wheelers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭happytramp

Awful news... How on earth can they have been only made aware of this now? What is this massive security operation that the Gardai didn't know about when the original application was made???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Joe Biden is to visit Ireland in June. I would guess that's what it is. That was only announced a couple of days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

quozl wrote: »
    Joe Biden is to visit Ireland in June. I would guess that's what it is. That was only announced a couple of days ago.

Banana F****** Republic :mad:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Christ! Sorry to hear that buffalo. I know you guys would have put on a hell of a show.

We've only 5 weeks left though and I'm wondering about whether the Championships will have to be delayed altogether (and possibly scrapped for this year given that is a weekend taht I think is reserved for Nationals across numerous countries and the Olympics means the rest of the season is already crowded)

If it cannot be within the Dublin area, and Gardai/Council support being required to possibly fully close roads is there any realistic chance they could be arranged for elsewhere that weekend?

Certainly buffalo if Orwell need any help when it comes down to sorting something else, I am sure I can speak on behalf of my own club and hopefully others who may be able to rally round to help with any new arrangements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Oh fupping hell. I only found it was going to be in the Phoenix Park just now in page 1. Got all excited expecting to see the route on page 2.

Damn you page 2. Damn you to hell!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Beasty wrote: »
    I am sure I can speak on behalf of my own club and hopefully others who may be able to rally round to help with any new arrangements

Well said. +1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Hard luck Orwell. Would've been a great showcase for cycling and the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Is there a chance that there would be no Nationals for 2016?... or a date in August/September?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

scott1974 wrote: »
    Is there a chance that there would be no Nationals for 2016?... or a date in August/September?
    There are other events already lined up fo most weekends (including Nationals in other disciplines). late September may work as I think the Worlds are in mid-October this year

As I've indicated already, it looks a pretty big ask to get them moved in 5 weeks or less though.

Wonder what would have happened of Mr Biden had chosen the weekend of one of the All-Ireland finals ....?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Beasty wrote: »
    Wonder what would have happened of Mr Biden had chosen the weekend of one of the All-Ireland finals ....?

"Dear Joe...."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

• Registered Users Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just read one of the links in the Sticky Bottle article in the above post. So Clonmel CC were originally the hosts but they had to pull out due to funding issues. Then Orwell stepped in.

Are the National Championships completely funded by the host club? Or do CI contribute anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Whatever about the nationals, closing the whole park for the whole weekend, for the outgoing vice-president?

FFS. The VP is a total nobody. Has anybody ever even bothered trying to assassinate one of them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Has anybody ever even bothered trying to assassinate one of them?

Look, we all want racing the park but I think what you're suggesting might be a bit drastic. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just that it should really be a last resort.

Advertisement