Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 National Champs

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

ragazzo wrote: »
    National Championships are one main difference. Elite licence can only ride Elite Championships if graded at A1/2.
    A3 elite riders can only ride A3 Championships.
    Riders opting for M40/50/60 licences can only ride their age designated National Championships.
    ie, an M40 rider graded at A3 category cannot ride the A3 Championships and a 45 year old Elite A3 rider cannot participate in the M40 Champs.

Grading is another difference. If one looks at the A2 and A3 CI rider rankings, there are a number of M50 riders hovering at the top but not being upgraded. M50 riders do not automatically receive an upgrade on reaching the appropriate number of points.
    As far as I know, they can choose to remain in present category.

This cleared a few things up for me. Was speaking to an M60 rider during the week who did the nationals on Saturday. He had no choice but to do the M60 race which had such small numbers that it didn't have a race feel for him. He would have liked to go in the M50 race however where the field size was a lot larger.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

This cleared a few things up for me. Was speaking to an M60 rider during the week who did the nationals on Saturday. He had no choice but to do the M60 race which had such small numbers that it didn't have a race feel for him. He would have liked to go in the M50 race however where the field size was a lot larger.

Is the standard very different between M50 and M60? If so, I guess thats why that insist they be separate. Though combining the 2 (similar to the way the elites and u23 is combined) might be a decent option too.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

1bryan wrote: »
    Is the standard very different between M50 and M60? If so, I guess thats why that insist they be separate. Though combining the 2 (similar to the way the elites and u23 is combined) might be a decent option too.

The M60 Championship race included all riders aged 60 and over. There was a 75 year old rider involved. This is necessary due to field size issues as there were only 13 entered in the M60 and older category.
    The distance was also 1 lap shorter than the M50 race. M50 had an abundance of talent which is set to become even greater next year when a number of M40 riders graduate.

Combining the M50 with the M60 would not, in my opinion, be a feasible option. Unhealthy and unsafe due to some of the ages involved.

ragazzo wrote: »
    The M60 Championship race included all riders aged 60 and over. There was a 75 year old rider involved. This is necessary due to field size issues as there were only 13 entered in the M60 and older category.
    The distance was also 1 lap shorter than the M50 race. M50 had an abundance of talent which is set to become even greater next year when a number of M40 riders graduate.

Combining the M50 with the M60 would not, in my opinion, be a feasible option. Unhealthy and unsafe due to some of the ages involved.

IMO the way these championship races should work is that a rider can always voluntarily "upgrade" to a higher category race once they have the required A number on their licence. e.g.

M40/50/60 can choose to enter Elite once >=A2
    M50/60 can choose to enter M40 once >= A3

The M60 in question rides A3 races regularly and I wouldn't be surprised if he wonders why he should bother his ass to travel to a small 50km race.

IMO the way these championship races should work is that a rider can always voluntarily "upgrade" to a higher category race once they have the required A number on their licence. e.g.

M40/50/60 can choose to enter Elite once >=A2
    M50/60 can choose to enter M40 once >= A3

The M60 in question rides A3 races regularly and I wouldn't be surprised if he wonders why he should bother his ass to travel to a small 50km race.

The rider can make that choice at the start of the season when taking out their racing licence. One cannot chop and change whenever they feel like it. This method would make a mockery of the Championships and would not be allowed in any reasonable sport.

Some people fought for years to have separate Masters Championships and now at the initial stages you proclaim that the best way is to just allow anybody to ride whatever they like.
    This is on top of allowing riders to self upgrade on their initial licence application. I think the Ras is a good example of why that is a bad decision.

The 75 year old M60 that I made reference to does not regularly ride A3 races and usually races distances of 80kish with riders of similar ability. I would be surprised if he actually wanted to ride the M50 race but who knows.

• Advertisement

I'm aware of being able to opt for elite at licence renewal stage once a2 or higher but can m50/60 riders opt to come down to one of the lower m40/50 categories?

If they could this would allow the same flexibility as those opting for elite.

I do agree with you that the decision should be made at renewal time.

I'm aware of being able to opt for elite at licence renewal stage once a2 or higher but can m50/60 riders opt to come down to one of the lower m40/50 categories?

If they could this would allow the same flexibility as those opting for elite.

I do agree with you that the decision should be made at renewal time.

Elite licences can be obtained in A1/2/3 category at renewal time.

Masters 40 can automatically be upgraded to A2/1 status. On reaching their 46th year they can downgrade to A3 on licence renewal.

M50/60 riders can opt for an A2/3 licence on renewal and regardless of competition points earned during season will not be automatically upgraded. Upgrades are by choice on reaching quota.
    Check CI Rider Rankings for A3/2 riders for clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Not sure if the race video was posted yet, got a link in a CI email a few minutes ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDIEPUWJYeg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Looking forward to seeing this debuted in the Tour of Poland

Snazzy!

https://twitter.com/eddie_km/status/752442442180333568

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

https://twitter.com/nicholasroche/status/753180723125817346

nico is wearing the jersey during the tour of poland this week

• Advertisement
Advertisement