Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 National Champs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I think the fact that this would be a free event for the public to attend has made it expendable.
    I can't imagine a rearranged Ireland soccer game (like a play off) for a major tournament be pushed to the side for a state visit. The fact that no money will be handed over to help pay Garda OT means all of sudden the resources are not there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I think the fact that this would be a free event for the public to attend has made it expendable.
    I can't imagine a rearranged Ireland soccer game (like a play off) for a major tournament be pushed to the side for a state visit. The fact that no money will be handed to up to pay Garda OT means all of sudden the resources are not there

Also it doesn't help its over 3 - 4 days. How come ye don't have to pay the gardai?
    Dublin marathon has to pay for their service as does alot of small races

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Also it doesn't help its over 3 - 4 days. How come ye don't have to pay the gardai?
    Dublin marathon has to pay for their service as does alot of small races

Dublin marathon has a sign up fee which means it generates much more than theses races would.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Dublin marathon has a sign up fee which means it generates much more than theses races would.

Very True, but the smaller races would have a small sign up fee for revenue and costs of getting roads closed.

Its a pity it can't work for ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"The Board of Cycling Ireland has recently taken the decision to increase the leisure event insurance fee (formerly known as a one day licence) from €2 to €10. This is to increase the value of leisure membership to those who are already Cycling Ireland members, and makes membership more attractive to event participants.

This change will be effective from the 1st of June 2016"

I doubt C.I contribute anything to it? but they sure do like charging!!!.
    Disgraceful decision to disrupt Orwells plans !

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Hell be there for a day if even as he plans to spend time in mayo and louth. Ludicrous

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

I never got how this was going to happen in the Phoenix Park anyway - the weekend evening racing got knocked on the head a while back and that was for a short time period in the evening. So how was a weekend long event with heaps more riders and spectators going to get the go ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Are the National Championships completely funded by the host club? Or do CI contribute anything?

the hosts pay for it all but im pretty sure they keep all the entry money too, you'll never break even but sure its grand, the honor of hosting it is enough for clubs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭wav1

stecleary wrote: »
    the hosts pay for it all but im pretty sure they keep all the entry money too, you'll never break even but sure its grand, the honor of hosting it is enough for clubs :rolleyes:
    Cycling Leinster have sponsored it e5000,given the circumctances that arose this year

wav1 wrote: »
    Cycling Leinster have sponsored it e5000,given the circumctances that arose this year

why is not always like this?
    If CI or the provincial board fund it surely there would be a lot more interest in hosting it.

• Advertisement

why is not always like this?
    If CI or the provincial board fund it surely there would be a lot more interest in hosting it.
    As previous post says we decided to help out given the ''circumstances'' and I think as a one off its absoloutely the right thing to do to enable the championships go ahead,but generally why oh why would a provincial body fund a ''National'' Champs.It goes higher than that.
    After all the issues this year IMO it will be up to the board and staff to fund and organise them going forward as its not feasible or realistic to expect a club to put their hands up to promote this with no funding from top table.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

stupid decision. if there was a gig scheduled for that weekend would it have been rescheduled too? why can't he just visit the country like any other tourist does? I actually had to check to see who he was. knew he was a political dude of some sort, but never knew he was the first loser. sure no-one remembers second placers anyway.

kenmc wrote: »
    stupid decision. if there was a gig scheduled for that weekend would it have been rescheduled too? why can't he just visit the country like any other tourist does? I actually had to check to see who he was. knew he was a political dude of some sort, but never knew he was the first loser. sure no-one remembers second placers anyway.
    Except maybe Raymond Poulider

wav1 wrote: »
    As previous post says we decided to help out given the ''circumstances'' and I think as a one off its absoloutely the right thing to do to enable the championships go ahead,but generally why oh why would a provincial body fund a ''National'' Champs.It goes higher than that.
    After all the issues this year IMO it will be up to the board and staff to fund and organise them going forward as its not feasible or realistic to expect a club to put their hands up to promote this with no funding from top table.

I get why the "sponsorship" happened this year and kudos for it, my suggestion of provincial boards paying is based on rotation of locations, clubs of each province then submit their bids to host the nationals.
    It's crazy that CI dont fund the main event of the year.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I get why the "sponsorship" happened this year and kudos for it, my suggestion of provincial boards paying is based on rotation of locations, clubs of each province then submit their bids to host the nationals.
    It's crazy that CI dont fund the main event of the year.
    They do sort out the medals and jerseys as well as someone to present them....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I would question your grasp of politics in the US. And Biden didn't make the call on this, so having stupid potshots at him does nothing. He's quite an affable if sometimes cartoonish character, who's had some serious sh!t to deal with in his personal life.

Shutting sown the whole park would seem like overkill, but the Gardaí don't make all the decisions in these cases, the security apparatus of the US has quite a say in it too.

Beasty wrote: »

what sort of cost in involved in hosting the nationals?
    Surely CI can well afford to fund it

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

what sort of cost in involved in hosting the nationals?
    Surely CI can well afford to fund it
    When we did the CX Nationals entry fees covered a lot of the costs. That was a much smaller event though.

Closing roads, Garda support, and the fact it runs over 4 days will undoubtedly up the costs (although some of that is less relevant in the Park, anyone putting it on elsewhere will have to pick up all that and provide a hell of a lot more in terms of volunteer time and effort)

When we did the CX Nationals entry fees covered a lot of the costs. That was a much smaller event though.

Closing roads, Garda support, and the fact it runs over 4 days will undoubtedly up the costs (although some of that is less relevant in the Park, anyone putting it on elsewhere will have to pick up all that and provide a hell of a lot more in terms of volunteer time and effort)
    Costs that really go un noticed are the real big ones.Doubt very much if there was any chance that it was ever going to be on closed though.Garda presence was of the essence given exit/entry from the park etc,but closed roads no.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I would question your grasp of politics in the US. And Biden didn't make the call on this, so having stupid potshots at him does nothing. He's quite an affable if sometimes cartoonish character, who's had some serious sh!t to deal with in his personal life.

Shutting sown the whole park would seem like overkill, but the Gardaí don't make all the decisions in these cases, the security apparatus of the US has quite a say in it too.
    I have less than no interest in anything to do with the US to be honest, so not knowing their VP would be low on my list of worries. sure I don't even know who our VP is.
    and I never made a potshot at anyone besides saying the decision was stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I have less than no interest in anything to do with the US to be honest, so not knowing their VP would be low on my list of worries. sure I don't even know who our VP is.
    and I never made a potshot at anyone besides saying the decision was stupid.

"First loser"? What's that, if not a pot shot?

Could a number of clubs join together to host the events?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lets run it in Fingal.

Could a number of clubs join together to host the events?
    As I've already mentioned there's nothing to stop clubs helping out Orwell here given the circumstances

I'm not sure to what extent CI rules allow "joint promotion" of nationals and it may require one club to be the nominated "lead" club (where the glory rests, or the buck stops!!)

2016 is now more to do with the logistics of actually pulling together an event of adequate quality in such a short timescale, or finding a way of deferring them until later in the year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Fwiw Beasty Swords and stamullen jointly promoted the national champs back in about 2000

Edit was in 2002

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

a promotions group consisting of 6 or more licence holders could promote it if they pitched to CI and they accepted it.

As I've already mentioned there's nothing to stop clubs helping out Orwell here given the circumstances

I'm not sure to what extent CI rules allow "joint promotion" of nationals and it may require one club to be the nominated "lead" club (where the glory rests, or the buck stops!!)

2016 is now more to do with the logistics of actually pulling together an event of adequate quality in such a short timescale, or finding a way of deferring them until later in the year.
    My understanding is that plan B is well under way and they will happen.Actually Orwell might get more bodies to row in now than previous,seeing as they keep hitting obstacles.I have already volunteered to help with service etc and I'm sure many more will come on board also.
    I know its a pain in the butt for them now,having to change/alter etc,but to be honest it could pan out to be a better event.Was never mad about the park for the champs from the start.For night gallops etc Yes but for the champs No.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭rochefan

Not sure they even do that, was talking to womens champ a few years back and she had to give back the jersey as it was needed for the mens race the next day which I thought was a bit harsh

rochefan wrote: »
    Not sure they even do that, was talking to womens champ a few years back and she had to give back the jersey as it was needed for the mens race the next day which I thought was a bit harsh

That's only for the presentation. You get your proper jersey/skinsuit in the post a week or two later.

Can't have the right sizes for everyone on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

morana wrote: »
    a promotions group consisting of 6 or more licence holders could promote it if they pitched to CI and they accepted it.

They would probably charge them all ... massively for the honour of running the National Championships for them..... Cyclin£ I$€land :mad:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Advertisement