Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 National Champs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

pretty shameful that the original plan of a munster club hosting couldn't happen, Clonmel CC hosted it just a few years ago, have barely any racers these days, plus run another very large event annually - I can think of a couple of decent sized and well known Munster clubs that don't even hold a Sunday race - pity they didn't step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

pretty shameful that the original plan of a munster club hosting couldn't happen, Clonmel CC hosted it just a few years ago, have barely any racers these days, plus run another very large event annually - I can think of a couple of decent sized and well known Munster clubs that don't even hold a Sunday race - pity they didn't step up.

No, it's pretty shameful that Cycling Ireland don't organise and run the National Championships each year and that it's pushed back on clubs to "step up" and organise it. There's not a single club, of volunteers, in the country should feel shame for not being willing to take on the task.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭irishpeloton

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

this was the first route that came to mind when it was announced they were looking for another route.

I'd prefer them doing the circuit in the other direction, but regardless, i'm ridiculously excited to see them racing those roads.

well done Orwell!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭slow

Is it a tough course?

• Advertisement

slow wrote: »
    Is it a tough course?

not much flat on it. The lakes are very lumpy with a combination of short, sharp ramps, and a couple of longer drags (such as the one by the graveyard before lacken).

It'll be an Ardennes classic type parcours, though nothing too steep on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

very tough course. after 2/3 laps this will be hard, after 7 or 8 riders will be all over the circuit in ones and twos.

narrow, hard, dead road around the back of the circuit through Lacken, little climbs that zap and with the roads twisting all the time. out of sight out of mind. that being said, the shelter there will make it really fast racing on the hardest part of the circuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

If the champs is staged around the lakes, then 6 or 7 laps will absolutely kill the field. What an incredible course that would be - some of us have pondered over the years about the very notion of it. We considered running a time trial around it also a few years ago but backed out. Suffice to say that once thye field turns off the road towards Valleymount, there isn't an inch of flat until you return to the bridge over the lake back into Blessington. And the climbs are all draggy and the roads heavy. About 20 or so finishers in the elite race I expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Hats of to Orwell, Hope everything goes smoothly from here on in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Presume they are looking at a loop running anti clockwise around the main lake and over the 3 bridges.

Will roads be closed ? Was looking at maps to see how a detour on the N81 would go and it looks feasible alright. Or as it is a short stretch on the N81 they may hold traffic....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Homer1798

This will be a selective course, I reckon on 11 noticeable drags/climbs? on it in what? 22km? It's hard to see a group coming to the finish in the Elite races,narrow roads around the lakes could play a major part if you need service and the bunch is split to bits, descent into the right hand bend from Ballyknockan could be dodgy if it's wet. I would predict that the Masters races will split to pieces, but in saying that whoever wins on this circuit will be a worthy National Champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,379 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

What are the chances of a Dan Martin/Nico/Deignan racing this and winning it? Would be great to see the Irish Champions jersey in the Pro Peloton again.

With no flat it kind of rules the likes of Bennett and Mullen out I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Would say Nico is nailed on for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

Yep, looks like Roche will be there alright...

https://www.facebook.com/118995384809273/videos/1105468296161972/

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Plastik wrote: »
    No, it's pretty shameful that Cycling Ireland don't organise and run the National Championships each year and that it's pushed back on clubs to "step up" and organise it. There's not a single club, of volunteers, in the country should feel shame for not being willing to take on the task.

Who, or what, exactly do you mean by "Cycling Ireland"?
    And, are you referring to just the Senior/Master Road Champs, or all the other Champs also?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

TGD wrote: »
    Who, or what, exactly do you mean by "Cycling Ireland"?
    And, are you referring to just the Senior/Master Road Champs, or all the other Champs also?

Well, if they run the Senior/Master Road Champs, they'll have to run the the Cyclocross Champs, XC MTB Champs, DH MTB Champs, BMX Champs, Enduro Champs. Marathon XC Champs, T.T. Champs.
    That'll keep them quiet.

Oh and I forgot the Track Champs.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

DDC1990 wrote: »

With no flat it kind of rules the likes of Bennett and Mullen out I suppose

I would disagree with that, these are not high mountains. In fact I'd argue that Deignan will never win an Irish champs, as there are no climbs in the country long enough for such a pure climber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Well, if they run the Senior/Master Road Champs, they'll have to run the the Cyclocross Champs, XC MTB Champs, DH MTB Champs, BMX Champs, Enduro Champs. Marathon XC Champs, T.T. Champs.
    That'll keep them quiet.

and all the Para disciplines too. they should be bloody paying for them all. its too much to ask clubs to pay for them. how much does a road closure cost for a weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

stecleary wrote: »
    and all the Para disciplines too. they should be bloody paying for them all. its too much to ask clubs to pay for them. how much does a road closure cost for a weekend?

Get the leisure cyclists to pay for it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,379 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I would disagree with that, these are not high mountains. In fact I'd argue that Deignan will never win an Irish champs, as there are no climbs in the country long enough for such a pure climber.
    Fair enough. I haven't had a chance to look at the route profile, just going on what was said here that it's got no flat parts.

I wouldn't have great knowledge of cycling, only what I would see during Grand Tours/Classics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

That'll keep them quiet.

It's four different track champs 'they' would have to do - Senior, Masters, Youth and Junior. Add the Youth Road Champs too. But who are 'they'?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Bennett could well cope i would say, and Mullen too. Sam will be doing the tour though so unlikely he will feature.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Bennett could well cope i would say, and Mullen too. Sam will be doing the tour though so unlikely he will feature.

Yes- protour riders tend to be a class of their own and they would all have a chance on this type of route. But you would have to say Roche would likely drop Bennett given the constant rolls; nobody wants to bring a sprinter to the finish of course.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Fair enough. I haven't had a chance to look at the route profile, just going on what was said here that it's got no flat parts.

if its going anti-clockwise from Blessington village, around the lakes, then there will be a couple of miles of a stretch of flat to downhill.

From Blessington village, south to the turn-off for the lake drive, is pretty much all flat to downhill (I'd say a 2-mile stretch). Then, from that turn-off to the turn onto the lake drive itself (beyond Valleymount), its undulating, but there's a good stretch of flat to downhill there too.

Its the left turn beyond Valleymount that the fireworks will start. There won't be a bit of flat until they return to Blessington village.

The sign at the bridge on the Kilbride side of the lake drive says 15km to Blessington. It always felt like more than that to me. But if it is a 15km circuit, we're looking at about, what?, 15 laps?

15 laps of the Blessington lakes, at racing speed, is going to sap every bit of energy from the body. This race will be very attritional.

I don't see where theres any point on the circuit that would benefit a climber over a more heavily-build, powerful rider. But, given Dan Martin's record in the Ardennes classics, if he rides, he'd be the out-and-out favourite for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

1bryan wrote: »
    if its going anti-clockwise from Blessington village, around the lakes, then there will be a couple of miles of a stretch of flat to downhill.

From Blessington village, south to the turn-off for the lake drive, is pretty much all flat to downhill (I'd say a 2-mile stretch). Then, from that turn-off to the turn onto the lake drive itself (beyond Valleymount), its undulating, but there's a good stretch of flat to downhill there too.

Its the left turn beyond Valleymount that the fireworks will start. There won't be a bit of flat until they return to Blessington village.

The sign at the bridge on the Kilbride side of the lake drive says 15km to Blessington. It always felt like more than that to me. But if it is a 15km circuit, we're looking at about, what?, 15 laps?

15 laps of the Blessington lakes, at racing speed, is going to sap every bit of energy from the body. This race will be very attritional.

I don't see where theres any point on the circuit that would benefit a climber over a more heavily-build, powerful rider. But, given Dan Martin's record in the Ardennes classics, if he rides, he'd be the out-and-out favourite for me.

It's a 25.5km/323m circuit so maybe 7 laps? That's presuming that this is the route, but it's hard to see any alternative?

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/13984072

If the pub at Ballyknockan is open it could be a great day out, though I don't know if I'd be able for riding the bike home at the end of it, the publican should be testing the market for Belgian beers and stocking up..... A big screen keeping us up to date would be handy too......

Seriously though it looks like a proper test the winner will have earned his champions jersey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

That'll keep them quiet.

AFAIK

1. Enduro has nothing to do with the UCI and absolutely nothing to do with CI, so, the popularity of the World's here shows how events can be run successfully without the help of CI

2. Track Champs? On a National level track championships include
    Team Pursuit
    Team Sprint
    Omnium (men's and Women's)
    500m
    Match Sprint
    Scratch
    etc, and a similar rake in Women's, Senior, Masters, juniors

AFAIK, the track championships are primarily organised by the Track Commission, along with the International GP, which is a UCI sanctioned event with points and all.

IS the abscence of a Road Comission the reason a club has t undertake the the running of the Road/TT National Championships?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

nilhg wrote: »
    It's a 25.5km/323m circuit so maybe 7 laps? That's presuming that this is the route, but it's hard to see any alternative?

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/13984072

If the pub at Ballyknockan is open it could be a great day out, though I don't know if I'd be able for riding the bike home at the end of it, the publican should be testing the market for Belgian beers and stocking up..... A big screen keeping us up to date would be handy too......

Seriously though it looks like a proper test the winner will have earned his champions jersey

They should have a jersey for the ride back from Ballyknockan to the city over Ballinascorney

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Great route, it will be attritional and selective, though not one for the pure climbers; more a strongman's course. Deignan is a real 'diesel' engine who would need a very long hard climb to simply ride everyone off his wheel one by one. These climbs are more for the 'puncheurs'.

These national races can be quite unpredictable because nobody really has the team to control them. The big names have to fend for themselves. Last year Matt Brammeier was an almost unbankable favrourite after riding into the champs in superb form, but in the end he missed what turned out to be the key move and it was race over. That said, I'd expect to see Damien Shaw right in the mix in defending his title.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Wonder what the TT route will be, would they go for the Sally Gap hill climb TT?

• Advertisement

A Sally Gap TT route would be highly unlikely - in fact it would be pretty much a disgrace if they turned what is a national elite time trial into a 12km slog up a mountain road; it would make no sense to me. That is more for club riders who want a challenge, or lads to post times on strava. Not suitable for a national championship at all.

Advertisement