Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 National Champs

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

JK.BMC wrote: »
    A Sally Gap TT route would be highly unlikely - in fact it would be pretty much a disgrace if they turned what is a national elite time trial into a 12km slog up a mountain road; it would make no sense to me. That is more for club riders who want a challenge, or lads to post times on strava. Not suitable for a national championship at all.

I have no idea, trying to figure out TT courses in the area, most of them are hill climbs as far as I know, the bohernabreena one was actually the one I meant to say but that would be exactly as you described.

What courses are there in the area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

CramCycle wrote: »
    I have no idea, trying to figure out TT courses in the area, most of them are hill climbs as far as I know, the bohernabreena one was actually the one I meant to say but that would be exactly as you described.

N81 out and back seems an obvious one; Blesso-Naas- Ballymore etc is near 30km; whatever the organisers decide it's pretty likely that some rolling roads will be involved.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

N81 out and back seems an obvious one; Blesso-Naas- Ballymore etc is near 30km; whatever the organisers decide it's pretty likely that some rolling roads will be involved.

I thought that but wasn't sure whether the N81 would be OK considering the horrendously stupid driving and the presuming lack of closed roads. Or will the Gardai be out providing friendly warnings to motorists to behave.

I rode most of the course last night, grown men will cry is my prediction.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I rode most of the course last night, grown men will cry is my prediction.

I agree, Lake Drive multiple times will really sap the legs, its deceptively difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Didn't An Rás or another big race go up Sorrell Hill there before?

• Advertisement

Yes - Nissan Classic one year; Martin Earley won the KOM. And I appeared on TV waving him by at the top. Wouldn't send a mountain bike race up there now, road is in pure sh1te!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Yes - Nissan Classic one year; Martin Earley won the KOM. And I appeared on TV waving him by at the top. Wouldn't send a mountain bike race up there now, road is in pure sh1te!

Really? That long ago? Messages still painted in the road the last time I went up. Agree, awful surface now.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

a (flattish) possibility could be;

From Blessington, take the N81 back towards Dublin.
    Right turn at the golf course just before Brittas
    Manor Kilbride Village
    First right turn just after the village
    (the backroad down to the lakes)
    Blessington Village

I reckon that loop would be a good 30km at least.

Or, the same route in the opposite direction to save having to take that right turn and cut across traffic. The could manage it with a partial closure of the N81 - the road is wide enough to not have to close it completely.

I wonder, is the TT route decided on yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Have definite start times been given yet for various races ? CI page has most of them starting at 11

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

1bryan wrote: »
    a (flattish) possibility could be;

From Blessington, take the N81 back towards Dublin.
    Right turn at the golf course just before Brittas
    Manor Kilbride Village
    First right turn just after the village
    (the backroad down to the lakes)
    Blessington Village

I reckon that loop would be a good 30km at least.

Or, the same route in the opposite direction to save having to take that right turn and cut across traffic. The could manage it with a partial closure of the N81 - the road is wide enough to not have to close it completely.

I wonder, is the TT route decided on yet?

for the RR AFAIK the loop has to be between 10km and 25kms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Irish Raven

Any confirmed route for this....and a link via strava or the like :-) .....its penciled in as 150km plus...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

TGD wrote: »
    Who, or what, exactly do you mean by "Cycling Ireland"?

Really? 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

might be a good excuse them to 'fix' the road surface on the bridge that crosses the lake by the Rowing club (kilbride side of Blessington), assuming that'll form part of the route, which I expect it will.

Well? Any news? TT on the N81 maybe? And what about the Hillbilly Tractors on the Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Well? Any news? TT on the N81 maybe? And what about the Hillbilly Tractors on the Sunday?

Stickybottle reporting that the Champs in Wicklow isn't going to happen, mainly due to local objections, plans in place for another venue in Leinster.

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/national-road-champs-in-wicklow-are-off-new-location-planned/

Hopefully third time lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

nilhg wrote: »
    Stickybottle reporting that the Champs in Wicklow isn't going to happen, mainly due to local objections, plans in place for another venue in Leinster.

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/national-road-champs-in-wicklow-are-off-new-location-planned/

Hopefully third time lucky

Dammit, phoenix park was on my doorstep, blessington was do-able. 2 weeks to plan this sounds tough based on how it's gone so far.

brianomc wrote: »
    Dammit, phoenix park was on my doorstep, blessington was do-able. 2 weeks to plan this sounds tough based on how it's gone so far.

I was kinda thinking they might consider coming out our way (Newbridge Gp circuit) could have sat at my gate and had a grandstand view, but it's Derby weekend on the Curragh so that won't be a runner, not a simple thing to organise inn two weeks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

How hands on or off are CI in organising these? Do they leave it all at the hands of a club to do? Maybe I'm being naive but youd hope planning for the next one would begin the moment one finishes if not sooner.

Obviously nobody could have prepared for biden shutting down the park, and for the locals it was very short notice so can't fault them or Orwell. Could it happen that there'll be no national champs?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Weepsie wrote: »
    How hands on or off are CI in organising these? Do they leave it all at the hands of a club to do? Maybe I'm being naive but youd hope planning for the next one would begin the moment one finishes if not sooner.

Obviously nobody could have prepared for biden shutting down the park, and for the locals it was very short notice so can't fault them or Orwell. Could it happen that there'll be no national champs?

As StickyBottle state, plans are well advanced for the alternative, and CI have been very helpful and active in organising it. We hope to have an announcement very shortly, once everything is confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 if in doubt

If I was the type of poster who liked to stoke up a rumour I'd say the Naas Open TT this weekend could be good prep for the nationals.

But I'm not so I won't say anything...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭EAD

I love a good Fleetwood Mac album myself!

EAD wrote: »
    I love a good Fleetwood Mac album myself!

Ah, you can go your own way.

That's what I think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

There's a cycling report in this week's Drogheda Independent, not related to the Champs, but refers to them, by the way. It says, that they are being held in Kilcullen, Co. Kildare.
    Is there any truth in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

https://twitter.com/KilcullenDiary/status/740776701890809856
    its in the Kilcullen Diary and I have retweeted it...so it must be true

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

There's no keeping secrets in the cycling scene... official announcement: http://www.cyclingireland.ie/cycling-news-item/kilcullen-confirmed-as-venue-for-national-road-championships/2064
    The 2016 National Road Championships will take place in Kilcullen, Co. Kildare, from the 23-26 June. The process of securing a location for this year’s National Championships has been a long and arduous one, with two changes in race headquarters and routes happening due to circumstances outside the control of event organisers

Third time lucky! Entry still open via the CI portal at https://cyclingireland.azolve.com/portal/Events.aspx

Nice and handy for me :)

As near as I can figure out this is the senior race lap

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14304109

Masters races won't take in the Bewel Hill section, going straight up the R448.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

What's the course like profile wise?

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    What's the course like profile wise?

Think of 'wide rolling main roads' mixed with 'twisting narrow country lanes Flanders-style'
    Brewel Hill will be a fantastic addition on the Sunday. I have the picnic and wine bottles ready

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

nilhg wrote: »
    Nice and handy for me :)

As near as I can figure out this is the senior race lap

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14304109

Masters races won't take in the Bewel Hill section, going straight up the R448.

They're more likely to stay on the R448 at 28.8km instead of taking that left. (Purely based on previous IVCA races!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Think of 'wide rolling main roads' mixed with 'twisting narrow country lanes Flanders-style'
    Brewel Hill will be a fantastic addition on the Sunday. I have the picnic and wine bottles ready

Very good, hopefully Roche still fancies it. It would be nice to see the champions jersey back at WT level.

Advertisement