Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 National Champs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

ronoc wrote: »
    Might go watch this. Is there a route map available?

http://www.orwellwheelers.org/national-champs-2016/routes

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

Apart from the finishing line is there a good spot to view the Sunday race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Brewel Hill- bring the picnic and a few strong bitters....
    Narraghmore Village also- maybe the pub will be open and you will have good mobile signal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Has the finish line been decided? There was talk of it being in the town of Kilcullen but that wasn't confirmed.

JK.BMC wrote: »
    Brewel Hill- bring the picnic and a few strong bitters....
    Narraghmore Village also- maybe the pub will be open and you will have good mobile signal

Not an awful lot of space on Brewel hill, probably fine if you cycle up but parking would be a problem?

Narraghmore and up at the Tower in Old Kilcullen both have pubs that might be open and Walls in Kilgowan will certainly be serving both food and drink so a few options there. Of the non pub locations maybe up top of the drag to Rathsillagh , that's where I'm going Thursday evening to watch the TT.

Presumably orwell will have a live twitter feed all during the Champs?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Ballyhurtin, obviously!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

nilhg wrote: »
    Presumably orwell will have a live twitter feed all during the Champs?

Yes, the account is @NatChamps2016
    And the Hashtag is #NatChamps2016

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭nailik

nilhg wrote: »
    I hope Orwell have a good supply of brushes though, the very heavy rain on Tuesday carried a lot of stone and gravel on to the Bewel hill section, one rider solo can pick his way down but in a group it'll be lethal as it stands

I rode both the senior lap and the masters lap today and there were three separate trucks out on the roads sweeping up gravel and filling potholes.

Both routes are far tougher than they look on paper, particularly the Sunday route. Six times up Brewel Hill will see the field absolutely ripped apart.

1bryan wrote: »
    Ballyhurtin, obviously!

The view at the top of Brewel, looking across the field towards Ballyhurtin, the village of Dunlavin and the Wicklow mountains with Lugnaquilla on far right. Spectacular on any given day. The KOM is just inside the Kildare border and it very much looks like the Council or somebody has swept and cleaned the 3.3km stretch up to this point.
    As mentioned earlier, no real parking up here but it's an easy walk from the Northern side, from Kilgowan, where there is lots of parking, food and drink in Wall's Pub. The descent is much steeper than the climb from the south.

An idea of how narrow Brewel Hill gets; most of it like this, with the odd stretch of about 8% but not a difficult slope. Will make for an exciting spectacle in the way that the Oude Kwaremont in Flanders isn't at all steep but is where the action often happens.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The view at the top of Brewel, looking across the field towards Ballyhurtin, the village of Dunlavin and the Wicklow mountains with Lugnaquilla on far right. Spectacular on any given day.

Interesting addition of an "Ultimate CX" style jump into the nationals but it should be entertaining if nothing else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

Any idea where the time trial starts and finishes? Where would be the best vantage point?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Fender76 wrote: »
    Any idea where the time trial starts and finishes? Where would be the best vantage point?

http://www.orwellwheelers.org/national-champs-2016/routes

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭EAD

Fender76 wrote: »

There's a ramp at 10k that should give a good view or you could head to the Moat near Athy where you will get riders coming up drags from both sides. Also there is some parking at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Start lists at http://www.orwellwheelers.org/national-champs-2016

(Along with race manual, TT specs, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

Some start list for M40 !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

169. That's just nuts. Surely it should be at least be A3 and up?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

daragh_ wrote: »
    169. That's just nuts. Surely it should and least be A3 and up?

Time to have a 40-44 and 45-49 category?
    I know, it would be an added nightmare for the organizers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Where's the A2 Champs ! ?

169. That's just nuts. Surely it should and least be A3 and up?

Why is it nuts?
    180+ in the main stage races in the calendar; these vets are all highly experienced. I'm looking forward to watching the 150 rider line out first time through Old Kilcullen. Twill be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Why is it nuts?
    180+ in the main stage races in the calendar; these vets are all highly experienced. I'm looking forward to watching the 150 rider line out first time through Old Kilcullen. Twill be grand

There's A4 riders in that line up who only started racing this year. I doubt any of them have raced in a bunch that big. That's all I'm saying.

• Advertisement

There's A4 riders in that line up who only started racing this year. I doubt any of them have raced in a bunch that big. That's all I'm saying.

OK. Well they will get some hiding in the first 10km out the Athy Road

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

So, who's still heading to watch this instead of the football?

(*I am!)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

1bryan wrote:
    So, who's still heading to watch this instead of the football?

Half the race and then the football maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭Junior

I thought you had to be A3 to ride the nationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Junior wrote: »
    I thought you had to be A3 to ride the nationals.

Not the Masters categories.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I think you used have to be A3 to ride the vets race. Did the A4 thing come in when they added the M50 and M60 races?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

There's great activity at the TT start this evening. Chapeau to the Blanch Wheelers rider who looked like he was going to give it a go with the '70s silver Basso - it was a refreshing sight among the aero frames and disc wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I think you can take part in senior cships as an a4 but cant win a medal in the category, but I'm not 100% sure. Any chance you could change the Sunday race because of the match :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

lennymc wrote: »
    I think you can take part in senior cships as an a4 but cant win a medal in the category, but I'm not 100% sure. Any chance you could change the Sunday race because of the match :P

There's some talk, that they're going to change the time of the match, so as not to interfere with the Champs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Advertisement