Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 National Champs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

Rode the circuit during the week and liked the look of it alright. One for the off season to do list.

Unlikely to be open before 8.30pm. You can always start in (new) Kilcullen and get a taxi/lift down. Its definitely worth the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭uphillonly

A few photos from today's M40, M50 & M60 races:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskCWsq9Y

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I see that Marcus Christie had his rather expensive bike (€12k - hardly likely it cost that much) stolen from the back seat of his car last night at the hotel he is staying at. Terrible thing to happen to him but leaving a bike in a car, let alone on the back seat is asking for trouble. Harsh as it may sound, I would have little sympathy for someone who has such low regard for the security of their own bike that they leave it in a car like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭brianomc

Wet day today. For anyone coming out, the finish line isnt on the regular route. It was getting set out roughly where i have it marked on the map as I was passing by. It's an uphill-ish finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭LeoD

I presume normal race rules don't apply to National Championship races? Just looking at those photos posted and half the field are on the wrong side of a double white line approaching the crest of a hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Anyone got any news on the crash in the ladies race?

Does anyone have a link to riders/race numbers list?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

LeoD wrote: »
    I presume normal race rules don't apply to National Championship races? Just looking at those photos posted and half the field are on the wrong side of a double white line approaching the crest of a hill.

The roads are closed.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Thud

fat bloke wrote: »
    Anyone got any news on the crash in the ladies race?

http://womenscycling.ie/boylan-retains-national-champion-title/
    Report here but not much detail on crash

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,379 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Thud wrote:
    Nico wins it

Delighted.

Lovely double for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

LeoD wrote: »

Ah shag off will ya

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Brian? wrote: »
    The roads are closed.

Not so, according to Sticky Bottle.

http://www.stickybottle.com/races-results/awesome-roche-comes-home-solo-for-irish-champs-coronation/

"A spill in the bunch as well as traffic on the road disrupted things...."

probably rolling closures, that allowed them to use full road for section in those pics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Thud wrote: »
    probably rolling closures, that allowed them to use full road for section in those pics

Yes, same as the RAS and major domestic races.
    Lads there are plenty threads about traffic and rules of the Road elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭wav1

Brian? wrote: »
    The roads are closed.
    Roads def were not closed and it made for some hairy moments in the first few laps on the narrow section.Cavavcade got it verydifficult to get by an oncoming motorist at one stage.Lots of riders in the cars at that stage,but it was all over for them once the cavalcade had to stop.Fair play to the club with the promotion,given all the obstacles they encountered in the run up to today,but I wouldn't be a fan of that circuit today.The extra loop that was added to yesterdays circuit was unnecessary I feel,and added nothing to the event as such.Just made it a bitmore dodgy.

Where did Ryan Mullen finish?

Titled his ride "worst day of my life" :eek:

https://www.strava.com/activities/621558034

In a thread entitled "2016 National Champs.", I think discussion about traffic on the course, during those races is completely on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

just out of curiosity do the guys like roche have support & cars from their pro teams over for this or do they just look after themselves? saw on twitter a picture of one of the spanish sky riders warming up for the spanish TT with a sky team car in the background

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

I only saw the racing on two road sections, neither of which were closed (I was in a line of traffic on one section). In both cases, motorbike outriders were well ahead of the racing and had oncoming motorists well warned and prepared. Junctions were manned by volunteers with red flags. It looked well organised and safe to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭wav1

neris wrote: »
    just out of curiosity do the guys like roche have support & cars from their pro teams over for this or do they just look after themselves? saw on twitter a picture of one of the spanish sky riders warming up for the spanish TT with a sky team car in the background
    They all had back up cars,but were owned,driven,and staffed by connections of the riders based here at home as opposed to their pro teams sending over support staff.

I was wondering the same thing.
    I saw a video clip(can't find it now)of Roche, during the T.T., there appeared to be a support car for Roche, but it wasn't a Sky Team car.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

I see Sagan was back to his normal 2nd place in the Czech & Slovak nationals

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I see Sagan was back to his normal 2nd place in the Czech & Slovak nationals

4th actually in the combined. 2nd in the Slovak classification.

Thud wrote: »
    Where did Ryan Mullen finish?

Titled his ride "worst day of my life" :eek:

https://www.strava.com/activities/621558034

Pretty sure he was 9th.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I was wondering the same thing.
    I saw a video clip(can't find it now)of Roche, during the T.T., there appeared to be a support car for Roche, but it wasn't a Sky Team car.

He didn't have a Sky branded car but he did have a helper on a bike anyway, she got great shouts of "go on Nico" as she climbed the hill to the finish a few mins before Roche did. Big bag of stuff on her back like a deliveroo cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

brianomc wrote: »
    He didn't have a Sky branded car but he did have a helper on a bike anyway.

It was a Nicholas Roche Performance Team car.

Has the full list of finishing times been released yet ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Motorbike marshals and gardai were awesome. Members of public were very patient and positive, with the exception of one farmer dude who wanted the riders to wear hi vis. Somebody tell Roche.

Advertisement