Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 National Champs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

neris wrote: »
    I see Sagan was back to his normal 2nd place in the Czech & Slovak nationals

He was beaten by his brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Eamonnator wrote: »
    He was beaten by his brother.

And two others.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    And two others.

Not in the Slovakian Championships, he wasn't.

http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/National_Championships_Slovakia_-_Road_Race_2016

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

ronoc wrote: »
    Has the full list of finishing times been released yet ?

http://www.orwellwheelers.org/national-champs-2016/1010-national-road-race-championship-results

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

Surprised to see the rte 9 oclock news had somewhat of a report on the nationals and even a bit of video

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

neris wrote: »
    Surprised to see the rte 9 oclock news had somewhat of a report on the nationals and even a bit of video

On probably the busiest sporting weekend on decades. Was good to see

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Eamonnator wrote: »

It's a combined race. He was 4th over the line after RK, his bro and Stybar.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    It's a combined race. He was 4th over the line after RK, his bro and Stybar.

I know that, one race, two championships, two jerseys, two sets of medals.
    The same as Irish Chamionships once were.

http://www.thebikecomesfirst.com/juraj-sagan-takes-over-the-slovakian-champions-jersey-from-his-brother-peter/

buffalo wrote: »

The men's must have been one tough race, 155 starters, 41 finishers, and big gaps between the finishers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Will be interesting to see what sky come up for his national jersey.
    I think Cycling Ireland have recently made the jersey design much stricter with much less scope for alternative designs favouring the shamrock over the tricolour

NationalChampsJersey.jpg

Previously Sky have used the white template for the the GB National Jersey so i imagine they will opt for the white over the green

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭uphillonly

Photos from the Elite Men & Women's race:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskyXLuQt

Let me know if anyone wants any full resolution files.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Shame with all the route changes we've ended up with a fairly tepid circuit, the one round Blessington lake would have been savage.

I wasn't talking to many riders but with just over 40 finishers in the Elite championship I reckon that was a hard enough circuit. And absolutely no surprise that the World Tour Riders were first and second.
    Given the comments about some difficulty in the cavalcade, the notion of doing the race around the lakes on a summer Sunday without closed roads does sound more than a bit troublesome.
    The final venue worked out in the end

Homer1798 wrote: »
    I was around the Elite circuit tonight and it's anything but tepid. It's a tougher circuit than last year and I don't think many complained about that being Tepid. There are plenty of drags and Brewel hill to break the bunch up and very little "flat" (as it's either up or down). I can't imagine the finish being on the Naas side of the town (where the Rás stage finished a few years ago) as it would require a massive operation to keep the run in safe for the 5 events, there is however a wide section of road on the Athy side about a kilo from the circuit that would have enough space around it for the race infrastructure. Masters circuit is ideal and harder in reality than it looks on strava/paper, same for the Elite circuit. Best of luck to the organisers.

Some more reflections

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=804117256355002&id=115231578576910

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

JK.BMC wrote: »
    I wasn't talking to many riders but with just over 40 finishers in the Elite championship I reckon that was a hard enough circuit. And absolutely no surprise that the World Tour Riders were first and second.
    Given the comments about some difficulty in the cavalcade, the notion of doing the race around the lakes on a summer Sunday without closed roads does sound more than a bit troublesome.
    The final venue worked out in the end

from what I saw I'd have to agree with this. Calling the route 'tepid' is unfair. Different types of route will always determine that the race is raced differently, and that it will suit riders with different characteristics or strengths.

I was positioned at the top of a drag near the end of the lap. It was notable how drained almost everyone looked when they reached that point, even from the end of lap 1.

I think the route was one for the strong-men. It allowed a vastly superior rider like Roche, once he'd make the race-defining break, to show his superiority. He looked ridiculously comfortable all day. It was just a matter of whether he could play it correctly, tactically.

Longer, steeper hills may have favoured the more-lithe Dunbar, but you have to play the hand you're given. I thought he did remarkably well to show as strongly in the break, as he did. It was clear the tank was empty after Roche's final attack.

And to those complaining about behaviour on the road or whatever. It may be moot, but at around 1:30pm it became eerily quiet. No traffic, a lot of spectators disappeared. Obviously all off to watch the soccer match. The last 2 laps could almost have been run un-marshalled, it was that quiet .

Well done to the organisers of this. Running the weekend's events was not an easy task. The circuit was perfect. The marshalling that I saw, was flawless. It all led to excellent racing, and worthy champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

47 kmph average for first 12kms, looked like around 46kms were done in first hour of racing and not too far off that in the second hour - then it really started to ramp up. Thankfully I was in a car with the shivers even befoe the end of lap 1. I went anticlockwise on the lap afterwards and each rider to a man was in pain. The weather and the route thinned the field out after each lap, the speeds were savage even on the route which was a hardman's course. You looks at the Irish hardmen who finished 18 minutes down though and it gives an indication of the race. 3 laps less wouldn't have made the race any less difficult.

Roche looked head and shoulders above everyone else. The approach to lap 3 up the hill to Brennans pub and he had the front group in ribbons pushing a massive gear. Then goin up hill he took a rain cape or something off and was still pedalling the gear as they struggled to go by him. The Mullen group and the bunch were all within sight at that stage but 10 kms later the gap was 2 minutes. They must have seriously ramped up the speed back out the main road.

Brilliant by Mcloughlin who's just coming back from doing exams as far as I know. Feely did the ride of the day in the company he was in. Breheny from UCD must get a mention but Conn McDunphy the young lad broke a bike, then raced his Dad's spare and still finished well up. Great ride from a lad who's improving week on week. Any of the domestic riders who finished deserve serious credit

47 kmph average for first 12kms, looked like around 46kms were done in first hour of racing and not too far off that in the second hour - then it really started to ramp up. Thankfully I was in a car with the shivers even befoe the end of lap 1. I went anticlockwise on the lap afterwards and each rider to a man was in pain. The weather and the route thinned the field out after each lap, the speeds were savage even on the route which was a hardman's course. You looks at the Irish hardmen who finished 18 minutes down though and it gives an indication of the race. 3 laps less wouldn't have made the race any less difficult.

Roche looked head and shoulders above everyone else. The approach to lap 3 up the hill to Brennans pub and he had the front group in ribbons pushing a massive gear. Then goin up hill he took a rain cape or something off and was still pedalling the gear as they struggled to go by him. The Mullen group and the bunch were all within sight at that stage but 10 kms later the gap was 2 minutes. They must have seriously ramped up the speed back out the main road.

Brilliant by Mcloughlin who's just coming back from doing exams as far as I know. Feely did the ride of the day in the company he was in. Breheny from UCD must get a mention but Conn McDunphy the young lad broke a bike, then raced his Dad's spare and still finished well up. Great ride from a lad who's improving week on week. Any of the domestic riders who finished deserve serious credit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    Breheny from UCD must get a mention

Breheny (#41) DNFed, the results are being amended to replace him with Chris McGlinchey (#141).

buffalo wrote: »
    Breheny (#41) DNFed, the results are being amended to replace him with Chris McGlinchey (#141).

thought the pictures were missing him alright !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭fat bloke

47 kmph average for first 12kms - then it really started to ramp up.
    :eek::eek::D

Nice write up. Sounds savage. Have an image of a monocled Nico supping a cappucino and perusing Sunday papers up the drags with the rest of the lads shnottin' and shpittin' in his wake :D

that 47 kmph average was my average and I'd lost a minute out the back :-)

just saw that Morton and co average was 52 kmph for first 12kms

45 kmph for first hour of racing, probably standard enough for lads who came from the Ras on a dry day but this was a miserable horrible day on hard back roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

that 47 kmph average was my average and I'd lost a minute out the back :-).

Chapeau ! Some balls for digging in !
    "Pain is temporary , quitting is forever" ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

Is it only in the national that you have the 40 and 50 masters section or is there other races in the season (apart from the vets races of course)

Is it only in the national that you have the 40 and 50 masters section or is there other races in the season (apart from the vets races of course)

And related to the above: is it compulsory for those aged 40 and above to compete in the masters or is it a choice? Poor old Chris Horner and Jens Voigt come to mind here!
    I also do remember a bunch of guys in their 40s turning up to the A3 road race in Cork and being told sorry- it's the ould fellas championship for ye, boy! So who knows the proper regs in these cases?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

And related to the above: is it compulsory for those aged 40 and above to compete in the masters or is it a choice? Poor old Chris Horner and Jens Voigt come to mind here!
    I also do remember a bunch of guys in their 40s turning up to the A3 road race in Cork and being told sorry- it's the ould fellas championship for ye, boy! So who knows the proper regs in these cases?

You can choose to have an elite licence over 40 and that means you ride the elite champs, once you change to an M40 though you cannot go back

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

When you are booking your lisence you can opt for Senior or Masters if you are over 40, but you can't have it both ways. CI have a prominent explanatory notice about it on their on-line system. Either can ride in the normal road races - it's in National Championships the main difference comes in.

Thanks for the info.
    I think if I am looking correctly that all the finishers in the elite race were under 40 years old. I reckon Stevie McKenna from Omagh is the oldest finisher but I might be wrong. Not that it matters much I suppose.

RobFowl wrote:
    You can choose to have an elite licence over 40 and that means you ride the elite champs, once you change to an M40 though you cannot go back

TGD wrote:
    When you are booking your lisence you can opt for Senior or Masters if you are over 40, but you can't have it both ways. CI have a prominent explanatory notice about it on their on-line system. Either can ride in the normal road races - it's in National Championships the main difference comes in.

So what's the pros and cons of having a masters or elite licence if your in your 40 s or 50 s

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

So what's the pros and cons of having a masters or elite licence if your in your 40 s or 50 s

National Championships are one main difference. Elite licence can only ride Elite Championships if graded at A1/2.
    A3 elite riders can only ride A3 Championships.
    Riders opting for M40/50/60 licences can only ride their age designated National Championships.
    ie, an M40 rider graded at A3 category cannot ride the A3 Championships and a 45 year old Elite A3 rider cannot participate in the M40 Champs.

Grading is another difference. If one looks at the A2 and A3 CI rider rankings, there are a number of M50 riders hovering at the top but not being upgraded. M50 riders do not automatically receive an upgrade on reaching the appropriate number of points.
    As far as I know, they can choose to remain in present category.

ragazzo wrote:
    National Championships are one main difference. Elite licence can only ride Elite Championships if graded at A1/2. A3 elite riders can only ride A3 Championships. Riders opting for M40/50/60 licences can only ride their age designated National Championships. ie, an M40 rider graded at A3 category cannot ride the A3 Championships and a 45 year old Elite A3 rider cannot participate in the M40 Champs.

ragazzo wrote:
    National Championships are one main difference. Elite licence can only ride Elite Championships if graded at A1/2. A3 elite riders can only ride A3 Championships. Riders opting for M40/50/60 licences can only ride their age designated National Championships. ie, an M40 rider graded at A3 category cannot ride the A3 Championships and a 45 year old Elite A3 rider cannot participate in the M40 Champs.

ragazzo wrote:
    Grading is another difference. If one looks at the A2 and A3 CI rider rankings, there are a number of M50 riders hovering at the top but not being upgraded. M50 riders do not automatically receive an upgrade on reaching the appropriate number of points. As far as I know, they can choose to remain in present category.

Thanks for the info where do the A4 guys come into it . Is there a A4 elite licence and if so can they do the master if they are the right age sorry about all the questions on it just I was a little confused over the weekend when I was looking at the race programme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

Thanks for the info where do the A4 guys come into it . Is there a A4 elite licence and if so can they do the master if they are the right age sorry about all the questions on it just I was a little confused over the weekend when I was looking at the race programme

A4 is supposedly a beginners category where riders learn the basics and then progress on. That might work in theory but has not really worked in practice leading to A4 being a mixture of strengths, experience and abilities.

As far as I am aware, A4 riders can race in the M40/50/60 events but are not classed as Elite so therefore have no separate A4 Championship event. It would be like having a Championship race for beginners which may happen some year but has not happened yet.

There may also be a distance restriction on A4 races. This used to be 80k, not sure if it is still applicable, which would bar A4 riders from the M40 event. Championship distance for M40 is generally around the 100k mark.

Advertisement