Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need some help with direction.

Options
  • 08-04-2016 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Boards,

I would very much appreciate some help. I'm going to generally outline my experience and qualifications and hope to gain some insight into what jobs I would be suitable for. Thanks in advance for any/all suggestions.

I have 10 years work experience from age 18-29, mostly service jobs including waitressing, bar-work and radio dispatching. I also have 2 years as an office manager and 4 years as a factory worker. Then I went back to college but continued to work those 7/8 years in the evening for a small business so in total I have almost 18 years work experience. I worked for six months in a media outlet as part of my course and have a great reference from there. I also worked on behalf of the college during my time there so I think that stands to me also, that I worked full-time as well as studying full-time.

I have a BA and an MA in the Arts. I took four years of history and sociology during my undergrad as well as my major subjects. I have been freelancing for a year since I graduated gaining experience as a copy-writer and editor but I really would love a full-time position with decent pay and regular hours. Nice and all as freelance money is, it's unreliable and I feel like I'm still just living from week to week when I know I have a lot to offer in an employed role. I am willing to travel for work.

Sadly the MA doesn't qualify me for anything in particular It shows that I have strong research skills and am capable of critical thinking and working alone as well as in a group. My thesis was well received and overall I am happy with the outcome in that regard.

I am a problem solver and I have a knack for coming up with names for products/publications. I am inquisitive and creative by nature. I get on well with work colleagues and have enough experience to understand the work dynamic.

The problem I keep coming up against is that (and I'm actually quite embarrassed by this) I don't know what jobs I could/should be applying for. I had several sessions with a CV and career adviser and while that was helpful all I really got out of it was an improved CV and compliments on how I am a strong and useful candidate but not what I am a candidate for as such.

I think I would do well in advertising maybe? I'm a good copywriter and love working on problems and concepts. I don't have an advertising degree though or marketing.

For now I'd love to just get a foot in the door somewhere and see where I go from there. As you probably noticed I went back to college as a mature student so I am in my 30's now.

Thank you for reading and fingers crossed I'll get some suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Hey,

I worked for a number of years as an advertising copywriter. I've since moved to a different, but related field. If you're interested in getting into the creative side of advertising you'll need to get together a portfolio. That's what will land you a gig with an agency. Unfortunately, your impressive CV will count for very little, it's all about your portfolio and experience (no experience isn't really a problem if you have a good portfolio, it just means you'd be starting in a junior role).

If you have a good writing background you could consider getting in touch with content marketing agencies and see if any of them need writers?

Or have you considered technical writing? It can be hard to get into and lots of roles require good software or programming backgrounds, but there are roles out there that only really require a decent writing and editing background. I found this to be the case particularly in the e-learning field, where there seems to be a decent number of writing gigs around at the moment.

Best of luck in your search. I've had 2 periods of jobhunting in the past year with a background that would have some similarities to yours. I know how frustrating it can be. I found myself so often wishing I'd done something a bit more clear cut career-wise, like engineering or accounting.

Advertisement