Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying cash for a house

Options
  • 08-04-2016 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to buy a house for cash in Ireland...not like bank transfer but in cash in 500 note euro bills? Or would you have to go through a bank?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

If the money is legit your fine. But who really has a few hundred K in a cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Our solicitor would definitely refuse to deal with it. He told us a story of someone who was trying to buy a house with actual cash and how fast he ran away.

I think, if you could find a solicitor willing to handle the sale and a seller willing to take it, you'd need to be very clearly able to show where the cash came from to buy a house. Otherwise the anti-money laundering regs or similar would kick in in some form or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

Yes true but maybe I don't like banks or maybe I am worried that someone will get my banking details online and clean me out. Let's say I just want to save in cash and do so for 10 years to buy a house. What and how could I prove that the money is legal in 10 years? What is considered proof that the money is "legit"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Personally, I know of two people who are fortunate enough to have been in position to do this. One was a very substantial sale, but once you have a paper trail for the money it's fine. In their case anyway

I think, if you could find a solicitor willing to handle the sale and a seller willing to take it, you'd need to be very clearly able to show where the cash came from to buy a house. Otherwise the anti-money laundering regs or similar would kick in in some form or other.

Yes I can understand that. I mean it is risky for someone to accept that amount of cash. But how would you prove your life savings? Like if you saved up over a period of 30 or 20 years in 10 different jobs living in 5 different countries... how could you prove that? I mean maybe you start saving and you dont think about proving it because the amount is low but then over the years... you know what I am saying? What if i have like 100k under my mattress but I never expected it or expected to need to proove it but nevertheless aquired it by all legal means?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

armabelle wrote: »
    Yes true but maybe I don't like banks or maybe I am worried that someone will get my banking details online and clean me out. Let's say I just want to save in cash and do so for 10 years to buy a house. What and how could I prove that the money is legal in 10 years? What is considered proof that the money is "legit"?

From the way you describe it you would have a tough time convincing anyone it was legit, but I suppose for the sake of this thread you could take a photo of the money each month in front of the ticker tape on sky news, maybe.

RiseToMe wrote: »
    Personally, I know of two people who are fortunate enough to have been in position to do this. One was a very substantial sale, but once you have a paper trail for the money it's fine. In their case anyway

But what kind of a paper trail could you have if you got the money over a lifetime? Perhaps you lived and worked in 5 or more countries for 5 or more employers?

Frynge wrote: »
    From the way you describe it you would have a tough time convincing anyone it was legit, but I suppose for the sake of this thread you could take a photo of the money each month in front of the ticker tape on sky news, maybe.

hahah that is a cool idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

But what kind of a paper trail could you have if you got the money over a lifetime? Perhaps you lived and worked in 5 or more countries for 5 or more employers?

I presume you get payslips, or get paid into a bank even if you withdraw immediately. You could let a ledger. Keep in mind how much money you're allowed to take in cash in and out countries too of you intend on bringing money around the globe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

And that is exactly the reason why getting wages or whatever paid in the bank would be much better. Cash transactions are getting more restricted and for me anyone accepting money in a bag for the house would be insane. The risk associated with it would be huge.

• Advertisement

RiseToMe wrote: »
    I presume you get payslips, or get paid into a bank even if you withdraw immediately. You could let a ledger. Keep in mind how much money you're allowed to take in cash in and out countries too of you intend on bringing money around the globe.

I certainly don't have my payslips from my first job 15 years ago but perhaps I do have some of the savings. I could ask my old bank from those days when I used to live in X country but doubt they would give me a historial after all this time. Heck I dont even know what bank I had back then. How could I possibly prove my life savings then were I to acquire it over such a long period?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I certainly don't have my payslips from my first job 15 years ago but perhaps I do have some of the savings. I could ask my old bank from those days when I used to live in X country but doubt they would give me a historial after all this time. Heck I dont even know what bank I had back then. How could I possibly prove my life savings then were I to acquire it over such a long period?

Well that is a problem for you to resolve. But then you still have to find someone who would be willing to sell for cash.

meeeeh wrote: »
    And that is exactly the reason why getting wages or whatever paid in the bank would be much better. Cash transactions are getting more restricted and for me anyone accepting money in a bag for the house would be insane. The risk associated with it would be huge.

I have always got paid into a bank... no job I have had or client have I had that has paid me any other way but bank accounts come and go, so do jobs and clients and so does one move from country to country over a lifetime. But a paper trail to my life savings (had I actually saved up that amount of money instead of wasting it at the pubs for example) would seem impossible after all this time.

The day cash is restricted is the day this world is completely owned by banks and so are we all. I pray that day never comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Ah so you're looking for idea's from us on how to legitimize your criminal assets:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

No solicitor will agree to this. You are going to find that very hard to do. Also why would the seller except this?

dar100 wrote: »
    Ah so you're looking for idea's from us on how to legitimize your criminal assets:)

Ok I'll cut you in :D

No solicitor will agree to this. You are going to find that very hard to do. Also why would the seller except this?

Ok, well I could deposit it into my bank account just before the sale couldnt I?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

10 percent is my going rate:)

on a serious note, it is up to any individual who challenges you on your money, to prove it is not legit

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ok, well I could deposit it into my bank account just before the sale couldnt I?

Bank will raise hell if you suddenly turn up with 300k cash. Don't expect it to be available to transfer out any time quickly afterwards.
    on a serious note, it is up to any individual who challenges you on your money, to prove it is not legit

A solicitor, house vendor, etc does not have to give a reason to refuse to deal - even though it'll be obvious why.

10 percent is my going rate:)

that sounds like how it should be...innocent until proven guilty say I

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Bank will raise hell if you suddenly turn up with 300k cash. Don't expect it to be available to transfer out any time quickly afterwards.

A solicitor, house vendor, etc does not have to give a reason to refuse to deal - even though it'll be obvious why.

what if I take it into the bank in5 euro notes and coins.... then they can't deny me... I mean I kept it in jars all this time how my parents told me since I was a boy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Maybe tell them you won the money on the horses? I hear that works if you're a politician anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Set up a companies offshore. I hear Mossack Fonseca should be able to sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

what if I take it into the bank in5 euro notes and coins.... then they can't deny me... I mean I kept it in jars all this time how my parents told me since I was a boy

Won't change a thing.

Turning up to lodge 300k and then trying to transfer it quickly is going to bring every single money laundering protection down instantly

they're not obliged to let you lodge the cash but they are obliged to let the authorities know you tried - no matter the size of the notes.

Where you'd get 300k of old fivers - they replaced them, remember - and manage to justify having got that many since 2002 I also don't know!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,687 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You would be reported to Revenue if you tried to conduct a transaction with over €15k in cash, whether or not Revenue would actually do anything about it would be up to them, it's likely they would investigate the source.

Taking pictures every month is a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

You could ask Bertie Ahern or read through the findings of The Mahon Tribunal for some guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Absolutely, but the bank will probably report this as a suspicions transaction. It makes you look like a money launderer. If you have some proof of where the money came from then its fine but I would say it would raise eyebrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Yes you are perfectly entitled to buy a house for cash, however , to get good title to a house you need to engage a solicitor to transfer every thing to your name and register the title deeds.
    Solicitors are obliged to notify the revenue of cash transactions , so if you can satisfy revenue that the cash is legit you would be fine , however , Revenue won't just take a good story and would need to see evidence of some tax paid or any vat due on this cash at various stages or proof that such taxes due abroad were also paid. IE payslips/ invoices / receipts for goods sold etc.

Secondly Most solicitors would refuse to handle that amount of cash on security grounds , but maybe could facilitate taking it and passing it over in instalments of smaller amounts.

The only alternative would be to hand over cash directly to the selller of the house but this would be very dangerous as who's to prove its still not their house after you paid for it.

This is one of the reasons people are tax compliant in Ireland because if you want to Own anything substantial ( including a car) you most ultimately prove that taxes were and are been paid or risk such asset being seized until with the burden of proof being on you and not the revenue.

There are various elements in society who for tax avoidance reasons therefore never own property, and remain mobile or get council houses , so that they are not worth persuing in the courts by revenue, as they don't have any assets to seize.

So if you want to own a house you have to pay your tax and be able to prove it, down the line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

All the travellers deal in cash so its not a problem

• Advertisement

Absolutely, but the bank will probably report this as a suspicions transaction. It makes you look like a money launderer. If you have some proof of where the money came from then its fine but I would say it would raise eyebrows.

but is this because it is so weird to actually save money nowadays? Couldn't I go to revenue and ask then or say... hey Ive got this lump sum, I want a house how can I do it legally?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement