Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fancy Leitrim's first registration number 'IT 1'?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

IT1 has been a UK reg for over 100 years. Owned by a Captain Buckley in London in 1911

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Blue850 wrote: »
    IT1 has been a UK reg for over 100 years. Owned by a Captain Buckley in London in 1911

Interesting. Whats your source for this info?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

28jv9mq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭w124man

So who owns TIT 5 then?

• Advertisement

PanhardPL wrote: »
    28jv9mq.jpg

Irish Motor Directory. A list of Irish regs and their owners. That's the 1915 edition. Google lurgan ancestry to find the 1911 edition. I've got the 1925 edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

w124man wrote: »
    So who owns TIT 5 then?

I know you are only kidding but just to put the record straight they never got as far as TIT.
    When the reg changed in 1986 Leitrim had only got as far as KIT.
    Whatever about TIT I'm sure there would have been quite a queue for WIT!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

w124man wrote: »
    So who owns TIT 5 then?
    They probably wouldn't have allowed "TIT", there would be some TD whinging about it in the Dail.

There were a couple of early Limerick reg plates (TI) that might have done it: TI7 and TI75.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Red Kev wrote: »
    They probably wouldn't have allowed "TIT", there would be some TD whinging about it in the Dail.

There were a couple of early Limerick reg plates (TI) that might have done it: TI7 and TI75.

No 5 HIT either.

KIP was never issued in Kilkenny as kip is another name for a brothel and RIP was not issued the second time round for superstitious reasons:)
    GIP was never issued either, don't know why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭w124man

hi5 wrote: »
    No 5 HIT either.

Make you sick, wooden tit !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

hi5 wrote: »
    No 5 HIT either.

KIP was never issued in Kilkenny as kip is another name for a brothel and RIP was not issued the second time round for superstitious reasons:)
    Would have looked good on a Hiace!

Sorry, could'nt help it!!!!!!

Details/article from Regtransfer, who are selling 'IT 1' -

"Ancient and Modern

A number of Irish newspapers have spotted the registration IT 1, which is up for sale on the Regtransfers.co.uk website. Why should this be of interest to readers in Eire? Well, the number was originally issued in County Leitrim back in 1903 and is one of the earliest ever number plates. Furthermore, Irish registrations have always held a special attraction for private number plates enthusiasts because they can use the letters 'I' and 'Z'. They are also dateless.

IT 1 is a particularly interesting number for several reasons: as mentioned above, it has a long history; it is an attractive 'number 1' registration and, of course, it has an obvious relevance to the field of information technology"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I have KIT602, one of the last issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DaveCol

A shame to see the car and it's original registration no separated

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

IT 7 is listed as owned by Lairds of Drumshambo. People here may remember they were a family who up until recently, had a Jam making factory.

Edit. Quick Google.
    http://boards.ancestry.ie/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=4389&p=localities.britisles.ireland.let.general

Also, The decendants of the owner of IT18 are still living at Ballinamore.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

IT 4 was on a series 3 Jaguar XJ6. 4.2L Manual.

I'd say the car is still around.

^^^ According to that article 'IT 1' only 'emigrated' to the UK in c.2007, when the car was sold by the Lucey family (who owned the now-closed car museum in Killarney).

To my knowledge, RoI plates ceased being allowed to transfer to the UK register since about the mid-1980's. Hmm..

'IT 18' is listed on cartell.ie as a Fiat Uno?!

'IT 4' is listed (as mentioned above) as a Jaguar

'IT 2' as a Volkswagen Scirrocco

'IT 7' is on a Range Rover Vogue (in the UK)

'IT 8' listed as an Opel Kadett

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Silvera wrote: »
    'IT 18' is listed on cartell.ie as a Fiat Uno?!

'IT 4' is listed (as mentioned above) as a Jaguar

'IT 2' as a Volkswagen Scirrocco

'IT 7' is on a Range Rover Vogue (in the UK)

'IT 8' listed as an Opel Kadett

:)

It was acceptable in the 80s....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

It was acceptable in the 80s....
    Ah c'mon Carchaeologist, IT was always acceptable :D

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

An uncle of mine had a Toyota Starlet in the 80s: HIT 22 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

I find this fascinating.

Some months ago i saw that IT1 was for sale and the article said it had belonged to Lairds.

The way that irish numbers made their way to the Uk is clear, up till 70s.. re the suggestion that this number only emigrated in 2007, seems at odds with the facts.

I know the VIP 1 story has been explained, though I forget the details, ( Popes no. was made up)

The list produced by Panhard is simply amazing, why on earth were the registered owners from all over the place.???

Re the sale of IY 1, i am perplexed... I dont know who ever had it, nor whether it went to England. an early IY ( 22?) is in Cultra....

In the eighties or so , in county Louth , one could ask for and get any number that was over 30 years not taxed ( i think that was the criterea)... IY 2 was on a Mini, I saw IY 1117 being scrapped years later (polo/ derby?)

several men about town got their car model numbers , i.e. 3231, 3251, 518 etc
    But IY 1 has me baffled

rugbyman wrote: »
    The list produced by Panhard is simply amazing, why on earth were the registered owners from all over the place.???

d

possibly because up untill 1938 (?) we were still in the Commonwealth, and members of old Landed Gentry families could easily have had Irish properties while their main residence was in the UK.
    Anyone from Rep.Ireland with a parent born before 1938 can legitimately apply for a UK passport, by the way.

thanks for reply Neckarsulm, I had thought of that but its still an extraordinary amount.

re the passport thing, i have it in my mind that one must have been born before 1948. not sure why, commonwealth?
    declaration of republic, rather than Free sate?/

Whoo Hoo Blue 850, checked out that Lurgan ancestry, great stuff,,, AND seems to have been edited by a famous Dundalk man H.G. Tempest, if tis he, he lived two streets from me,

You are more than likely correct, I thought it extended to children ofthose born before 48, but more than likely the parent would have had to had availed of the opportunity.

In the early years of motoring, only those of wealthy means or public servants would have been able to afford a car, so perhaps the lingering echo of the UK rule shows up in the car reg. lists.

Advertisement