Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EA Insisting on Phone Bidding

Options
  • 08-04-2016 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭

Is anyone familiar with a scenario where an EA tries to get two bidders on the phone together (to different agents in the office) in order to "wrap up" the bidding? I can't really understand why they don't just say if they don't hear from the underbidder by X time on X day that they'll assume they have dropped out of the bidding. It's like they are trying to force an auction situation!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Never come across that!

To be honest, I would have liked this situation in the past, providing that the highest offer over the phone meant the bidding process was wrapped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Well, the thing is for a lot of people you want to discuss it with someone first, at least have a think for a few minutes!

But yeah, I can see how it could suit in some situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Never come across that!

To be honest, I would have liked this situation in the past, providing that the highest offer over the phone meant the bidding process was wrapped up.

What if the EA had a phantom bidder on the other end, no way would I do that, if your being forced into an auction situation, face to face with your solicitor present is the only way I would go.

Malari wrote: »
    Well, the thing is for a lot of people you want to discuss it with someone first, at least have a think for a few minutes!

But yeah, I can see how it could suit in some situations.

Agreed, once they don't mind hearing a husband and wife having a domestic mid-call about what their highest bid is!!! :D

It'd be a practice less out of place in the rental market I guess!

Are you going to take part in this scenario?

JimmyMW wrote: »
    What if the EA had a phantom bidder on the other end, no way would I do that, if your being forced into an auction situation, face to face with your solicitor present is the only way I would go.

Well i'd just make an offers up till I'm comfortable with the amount and in line with what I think the property is worth, and find out before I hang up if I'm successful.

A "phantom bidder" can bid without using a phone too...

I'm not saying the practice is foolproof by any means, it was one offer per day back and forth on a previous house I was bidding on. just seems more efficient providing the process is closed after the call as i mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Agreed, once they don't mind hearing a husband and wife having a domestic mid-call about what their highest bid is!!! :D

It'd be a practice less out of place in the rental market I guess!

Are you going to take part in this scenario?

I don't want to take part! I know how far I'd go without discussing it with another person, who is currently unavailable. We may go further.

The EA has mentioned this a couple of times now, and are saying they will have to do it this way to close it today. At this stage they won't be in receipt of a deposit until Monday anyway, so I can't really understand the rush.

Its a good idea to bring things to a head and go sale agreed. Presumably somebody is dragging heels on the process and the vendor is getting fed up.

Advertisement