Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some web pages won't open on any browser in windows 10

Options
  • 08-04-2016 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭

TSB and Betfair being two, any ideas on how to sort this?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Who is your internet provider? What errors are you getting? some ISPs particularly mobile ones have "child lock" protections that you need to call them and ask for it to be disabled.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Wottle wrote: »
    TSB and Betfair being two, any ideas on how to sort this?

Thanks

Have you a screenshot? Probably some bundled internet security package that came with your laptop if its new. If not is it a legit version of win 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Wottle

Yep, legit version.

Going to uninstall avast and see if that's the culprit.

Yep, legit version.

Going to uninstall avast and see if that's the culprit.

No joy, crap

No joy, crap

So it works for some sites? Do they work when the laptop is on WiFi? Looks like a driver issue to me. Did the laptop come with win 10 originally?

• Advertisement

FrostyJim wrote: »
    So it works for some sites? Do they work when the laptop is on WiFi? Looks like a driver issue to me. Did the laptop come with win 10 originally?

Yep, most sites are fine. It's a desktop with Ethernet.
    Thanks for the replies so far.

Yep, most sites are fine. It's a desktop with Ethernet.
    Thanks for the replies so far.

Press start and type device manager. See if there is any exclaimation marks on the any of the network adapters.

Is it all https webpages? Does the aib website open?

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Press start and type device manager. See if there is any exclaimation marks on the any of the network adapters.

Is it all https webpages? Does the aib website open?

No exclamation marks and AIB works fine.

I searched YouTube and a few others have same problem but none of the YT fixes work for me

No exclamation marks and AIB works fine.

I searched YouTube and a few others have same problem but none of the YT fixes work for me

In device manager if you click on the Ethernet adapter and press update driver does windows update find a new driver? Might be worth googling the "windows 10 Ethernet driver <insert PC make/model>"

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Try this:

Hit the windows key on the keyboard or just click on the windows icon in the bottom left to open the start menu.
    With the start menu open, type "cmd" without the quotation marks and hit enter.
    When the command prompt window opens, type "ping www.open24.ie" again without quotations, hit enter and then post the results.

It should look something like this:
    Pinging www.open24.ie [193.120.216.23] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 193.120.216.23: bytes=32 time=51ms TTL=239
    Reply from 193.120.216.23: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=239
    Reply from 193.120.216.23: bytes=32 time=51ms TTL=239
    Reply from 193.120.216.23: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=239

Ping statistics for 193.120.216.23:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 50ms, Maximum = 51ms, Average = 50ms

If you end up with lost packets, it means that the issue isn't your browser and is possibly Windows, your hardware or something on your ISP's end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Gator88

Do you have pop ups blocked?

You could try downloading a different browser

Try this:

Hit the windows key on the keyboard or just click on the windows icon in the bottom left to open the start menu.
    With the start menu open, type "cmd" without the quotation marks and hit enter.
    When the command prompt window opens, type "ping www.open24.ie" again without quotations, hit enter and then post the results.

It should look something like this:

If you end up with lost packets, it means that the issue isn't your browser and is possibly Windows, your hardware or something on your ISP's end.

Lost=4 (100%)

I put a HDMI graphics card in it a couple of days ago, basin card 5450, just wanted the HDMI slot. Could this be the issue?
    I'm very much a novice.

Gator88 wrote: »
    Do you have pop ups blocked?

You could try downloading a different browser

Tried it with 3 browsers now, Chrome, Bing , Mozilla

I've also run troubleshooter and that says I have one or more protocol issues.

No idea what that means

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

Virus scan and malware check advised.

Is there another device in the house you can use to check those sites? Like a phone, tablet or another pc. Anything that can connect to your home wifi, that will tell you if the problem is limited to your just your pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Up in the top corner hit the menu button, select open in Internet explorer, not
    Every website seems to agree with edge.

Is there another device in the house you can use to check those sites? Like a phone, tablet or another pc. Anything that can connect to your home wifi, that will tell you if the problem is limited to your just your pc.

All sites work fine off the wifi devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Have you downloaded anything recently? I had an issue before where I couldn't access Google. Deleted a few bits that I had downloaded and it resolved the issue.

I've given up. Windows 10 has an option to reset this PC, currently at 8%. Hopefully that sorts it out

• Advertisement

Try going to the command prompt again and type "tracert www.open24.ie".
    What it does is it shows you each hop through the internet that your connection is taking to get to open24.ie.
    I tried it here and got 11 hops total. See what comes up but don't post the first few hop results here as that's information that could be used to identify you.

Advertisement