Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideal settings for adsl > modem > wifi router

• 08-04-2016 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Basically my new setup is as follows,

I have a phone line going into an eircom zyxel router acting as modem which is connected by ethernet to a Tenda 1200m.

The zyxel has wifi disabled and acts only as a modem, the only thing connected to it is the Tenda 1200m 5g wifi router, the idea is the Tenda is a much better router than the zxyel for internal networking.

So I want to set things up to optimise the fact that only one device is connecting to the modem, and forward traffic back and forth with as little trouble as possible.

The default gateway for the modem is 192.168.1.254, the Tenda requests 192.168.1.64 to connect to it
    The default gateway when clients are connected to the Tenda is 192.168.0.1, all IPs are in the range 192.168.0.2-255 for clients on the Tenda.

I am trying to identify settings to optimise this setup, what should I be trying?

I have set the LAN subnet on the modem to 255.255.254.0 for example, I don't know if that will affect anything.

Should I set the default server for port forwarding to 192.168.1.65 (the Tenda's IP on the zyxels LAN)?

Can/Should I forward ports directly from the zyxel from the WAN to 192.168.0.x?

Any tips or ideas to optimise this setup are appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 whats_up

Correction as I cant edit my post...

Should I set the default server for port forwarding to 192.168.1.64 (the Tenda's IP on the zyxels LAN)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

By my reading of it the Zyxel is still routing. *Error Buzzer* Double NAT is bad.

Put the Zyxel into bridge mode and configure the Tenda to open a PPPoE connection to the eircom RAS. That way IP traffic starts at the Tenda and its the only router.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 whats_up

ED E wrote: »
    By my reading of it the Zyxel is still routing. *Error Buzzer* Double NAT is bad.

Put the Zyxel into bridge mode and configure the Tenda to open a PPPoE connection to the eircom RAS. That way IP traffic starts at the Tenda and its the only router.

Awesome I was hoping something like this existed, I've always been a bit cack at networking despite messing around with it for years...

I have to get the PPPoE credentials from Magnet broadband and will report back!

Advertisement