Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cashing in a Pension - Advice needed

• 08-04-2016 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Looking for advice in relation to someone reaching Selected Retirement Age (SRA) with a pension of circa €84k. The following options are available:

1. Extend the term, but if doing so must move from current "with profit" fund to an alternative fund.
    2. Take retirement benefits: Take lump sum and a) buy annuity b) invest in an ARF.

Circumstances are as follows:
    1 Taxable Income of around €60k (€50k self employed income, €5k rental income , €5k other). €100k+ taxable income when jointly assessed.
    2. Wishes to continue contributing to a pension in order to reduce tax bill on above income
    3. No immediate requirement for a tax free lump sum.

Therefore questions are as follows;

1. Should the person just extend the term so as to continue contributing to the pension while still self employed. I assume that if you cash in the pension that will just add another €12k p.a. to individuals income and therefore increase tax bill. i assume the goal is wait to draw down pension when there is no longer self employed income so pension will be taxed at the lower rate.

2. How come i must move away from the current "with profit" fund and what fund should i move to.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to direct message if you wish.

Advertisement