Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Late Late Show April 8th 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

This is gonna be the "Every parish in the country should have it's own hospital, Garda station, Post Office, and airport - sure don't we all pay taxes" slot.

And 50m swimming pool aswell...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Free Turf For Everyone In The Audience - A New Play by Michael Fitzmaurice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Autosport wrote: »
    Ok is yer man sitting on his own for or against rural Ireland?

Can you be against rural Ireland?

Would that be like an American being against, say, Kansas?

"I gotta say, Brad, I just don't like it.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

"I went in to one town and all the places were boarded up".

Is he absolutely sure that they didnt just get advance notice that he was coming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

I'd hate to think that tonight's LLS is nothing but filler :pac: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

Tubs cant accept being wrong or learning something. He also is looking for something simple and singular to blame

He'll be waiting awhile as I'm not a farmer but surrounded by them :) I can let him think they're mine ;)

How's your frontage? Road frontage,that is... :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Perhaps they need a new cash crop like medicinal cannabis?

Teagasc are already on to allowing hemp to be grown again. a few years back they grew 30 acres of hemp here in Ireland and did research on it and apart from needing new machinery to harvest it (hemp plants can grow up to 10 metres high) they reckoned it would be profitable

http://www.teagasc.ie/publications/2010/862/862_Hemp.pdf

I doubt our politicians will allow it to actually proceed though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Tubs? He's in a world of his own..

My world ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

"Let's get our figures right". If you had any real grasp of the figures you wouldn't be talking this sh1te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Those creeps on the panel would all drive business away from rural Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

Red Kev wrote: »
    Need to diversify a load of farming away from standard cattle, dairy and sheep. But they're far too slow and unwilling to change.

Need to get rid of hobby farmers. So many farms are not worked to their full potential and are not viable businesses. Most of them are inherited farms so it comes easy and thats the way its run whereas lads who buy land tend to work their farms to the max. There's too many of them in love with the idea of being a farmer rather than actually getting on and doing it....... farms need to be commercially viable and all these grants just allow the current situation of hobby farmers with non viable farms to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

Broadband can't commercially exist in rural Ireland.

Well I think decent internet connections are a modern day right. Providing free education was a radical move for it's time, and it was for all our benefit that it happened... and this is potentially an extension of that if we are to reach our potential. If all our country's children are to have equal opportunities in life don't they need access to it?

Ok is yer man sitting on his own for or against rural Ireland?

He is for himself and his own importance

Mairead Lavery is on Newstalk a lot.

Always figured her to be way older.

This is why he doesn't have more than one guest on the couch at a time. He can't control it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

LordSutch wrote: »
    Like just who is Brush Shiels anyway? I mean even thirty years ago people used to say Brush who? and what's the beret thing he has goin on there? Brush and his beret, he's a funny old sausage :cool:

...now thirty years later, who/what is Brush Shiels?[/QUOTE

"The beret thing" baldness vanity.

I can see the point of this save the town business. But driving to an out of town retail park where you can park is way handier. No getting away from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

One of the biggest problems is the lack of access to locally raised taxes. Tax goes to the government, a small bit stays with the Co Council. The money is handed out ot them by the government after the Co Co go to them with a begging bowl.

Plenty of money that could be spent locally is held by various ministers and handed out in their own constituencies.

What we need is that a parish/community council can raise money and spend it on their own locality to provide services like on the continent, but that isn't going to happen here as it moves power out of the hands of TD's and Councillors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Muahahaha wrote: »
    do tell more please, never known of this titbit of cronyism

That came out last year, in the papers & a lot of people jumped on it, slap in the fac for Kenny, no doubt doing the facepalm!
    I live in rural Roscommon.

The biggest problem is that most people want their cake and want to eat it as well. Michael Fitzmaurice promises that they can; it gets him plenty of votes; blames the boyos in Dublin & Brussels when it can't be delivered.

The EU are a barmy bunc, look at bananas too bent :(
    Broadband can't commercially exist in rural Ireland.

Tourism or Transport 21 doesnt' exist either in the NW :confused:

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Mairead Lavery is on Newstalk a lot.

Always figured her to be way older.

Ahh, that's it. Me too...

How can you have an entire show if filler?

That's an achievement of sorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I can see the point of this save the town business. But driving to an out of town retail park where you can park is way handier. No getting away from it.

Depends on the access to easy and free parking. Some towns are a joy to wander around for a mooch and a browse, because they are properly configured to keep the business in the town itself. Most aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Man in the middle seems to want to give everyone a free house via the council. Two guesses where the council is going to get the money to buy those houses. Also, were are these people going to work if they live in those houses?

Get Diarmuid Gavin in to fix up the dirty old towns....that didn't do very well, did it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

No mention of the mountain biking at ballyhoura? Same place, no? Has the potential to attract loads of well healed European tourists who will travel in any weather.

What we need is that a parish/community council can raise money and spend it on their own locality to provide services like on the continent, but that isn't going to happen here as it moves power out of the hands of TD's and Councillors.

Problem is your parish or community council would be overrun with sticky fingered locals and the same chronyism and fraud would abound.

"But lads".

Fairly belittling/patronising of Tubridy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

You can tell that big lad has spent his whole life in the pub making arguments with elaborate analogies over pints with Ming Flanagan. They have an analogy for everything.

I'm missing something here. If the people in the area of the town all shop in the town, it's grand, right? The high street is saved.

What's the problem?

• Advertisement

That goon with the glasses and the hand movements wants the tax payer to foot the bill by getting councils to buy up the derelict houses. He's barking mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Lots of farms in Ireland are unsustainable, if your machinery and stock are getting pilfered every few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

One of the biggest problems is the lack of access to locally raised taxes. Tax goes to the government, a small bit stays with the Co Council. The money is handed out ot them by the government after the Co Co go to them with a begging bowl.

Plenty of money that could be spent locally is held by various ministers and handed out in their own constituencies.

But you have too many roads in rural Ireland that the country cannot sustain, we have more roads per person than any other country in Europe. Property tax in rural Ireland is not at all covering the costs of providing services to these houses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Well there was also MSG, pork scratchings, emulsifier, E123, binding agents and rectum.
    I'll send you the recipe

Business' are not going to set up in those locations. This man doesn't seem to understand that.

I would be no supporter of Eircom or their dreadful support, but it's not reasonable to expect that you should have fibre broadband in every nook and cranny of the rural landscape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

screamer wrote: »
    Problem is your parish or community council would be overrun with sticky fingered locals and the same chronyism and fraud would abound.

Luckily we don't have cronyism or fraud in the National Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Wish that guy would either put on or take off his glasses, it's distracting

Why did only one of them talk from the podium??

Tubs is stressed, he cant deal with this, plus they arent agreeing with him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Devolving power to County Councils is not the answer ... from my experience they make the Dáil look efficient.

M

Wish that guy would either put on or take off his glasses, it's distracting

Did he know they didn't fit when he bought them?

I would be no supporter of Eircom or their dreadful support, but it's not reasonable to expect that you should have fibre broadband in every nook and cranny of the rural landscape.

We don't expect it. TBH I think this whole broadband BS is a red herring.

M

What about the farmers blocking the cycling track from Dublin to Galway, purely shooting their communities in the foot.

M

If you spend a pound locally your up in NIRL?

These people are living in the 80s. I don't want to buy farmer Joe's seasonal produce, where I'll pay a fortune and have little choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Sounds like your man just got back from a holiday. Distinctly underwhelmend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

screamer wrote: »

I think th opposite would be true. Far more local knowledge, supervision and control over how the money is spent. You would need far stronger transparency guidelines, then it would work.

Right im off to fryup a pound of sausages......

• Advertisement

"Sponsors the adventurous spirit of the Late Late Show"

How does that get away without comment every week??

Advertisement