Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat peeing on bag

• 08-04-2016 8:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭

So my indoor only 5 year old bengal has had some "accidents" shall we say recently.

About 3 weeks ago he got locked into the hall and the pooed all over the toddlers bed, seemed like diarrhoea (tmi) and that he tried to get to tray but couldn't. Toddler has been awful to him so perhaps there's some retribution there! Cleaned up and we moved on

Then twice this week, Monday and today he has peed, not on, but right beside my hubby's bag, which moved at each instance. He had access to his tray, so is it the bag? My hubby said the bag got wet during a flood in his office on Monday so is that it?

We're going to thoroughly clean the trays and bag. I'm not overly concerned over uti as he seems happy otherwise and tray has been wet/dirty.

Anyone any experience?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

So we cleaned trays, kept bag out of reach and no problems. Tonight my husband left the bag in the kitchen, we hear scratching and the cat has peed on the floor beside it. So its obviously the bag. I've cleaned it and the floor thoroughly and used a feline spray to discourage and destroy any odours.

But I'm wondering, is it a damp smell attracting him or has another cat sprayed the bag? Our neighbours cat sometimes comes in but our cat does not seem bothered by him and this cat wouldn't have had access to the bag.

Our cat is very agitated this evening when he came in, directly after my husband came home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

It sounds like the hall/poo incident was a once-off unfortunate event.
    If you take that out of the equation and look at the inappropriate peeing on its own, I think it'll be easier to solve the problem.

The damp bag seems to be the trigger for him. Without a doubt the bag absorbed a variety of smells in the flood water and for whatever reason your cat is unsettled by the smells.
    I actually would have thought it more likely that he'd spray or pee ON the bag, not on the floor beside it.
    Still, the connection is definitely with the bag. As with carpet or furniture it's almost impossible to totally remove animal scent from fabric, using biological detergent repeatedly is always recommended.
    Get rid of the bag completely and see if he settles down and gets back to normal.

If the floor he's peeing on is tiled, he could be seeking out cold surfaces due to the start of a UTI, even though you're not seeing any other signs of it as yet. Stress can cause cystitis so just keep an eye out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Toddler has been awful to him so perhaps there's some retribution there!

Stress can cause cats to urinate outside the litter box as well as cause cystitis.

The cat needs to feel safe and comfortable in it's home, otherwise you're just asking for problems.

Perhaps address this issue too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

The cat in general is happy and stress free, he has a large garage to himself with no access from the kids. Its not always possible to keep them apart without keeping him in the garage and he does like being in with us.

Thanks for the advice, he found the bag again this morning but no reaction at all to it since I cleaned it, hoping that's the end of it. He's due in the vets next week to get his claws clipped so I'll get the vet to check him out then also.

Advertisement