Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking about a tattoo

• 08-04-2016 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I was thinking about getting a small tattoo on my shoulder - nothing too big or fancy. Never had one done before and I'm 43. Is that a bit sad? Am I too old to get inked?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

No. Go for it. Be a long time dead.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

If you want it, go for it! Nothing sad about it, it's a pretty cool thing to do.

Shoulder is a good safe place to do it too (assuming you don't regularly wear tank tops to work :p).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

I'm in the same boat, looking for the right tattoo.

My wife is not gone on the idea, working to bring her on-board :)

What design were you thinking of and why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Cully72 wrote:
    I was thinking about getting a small tattoo on my shoulder - nothing too big or fancy. Never had one done before and I'm 43. Is that a bit sad? Am I too old to get inked?

I'm in the same boat with a few weeks, have a scar from a surgery that I'm thinking of covering with something

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Highlander

Cully72 wrote: »

I got my first tattoo done last month at the age of 46. If you want it go for it, nothing sad about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Cully72

I'm in the same boat, looking for the right tattoo.

My wife is not gone on the idea, working to bring her on-board :)

What design were you thinking of and why?

I was thinking about a stag's head as its on the family crest. I downloaded a design from a tattoo site that I think is pretty cool. Wife is fully supportive, so no barrier there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

A stags head is a really powerful piece, and looking online there are so-so-many ways to execute it. But get it the right size for your shoulder, don't have it too small and looking lost.

I like Geometric Tattoos: http://www.amazingtattooideas.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/geometric-stag-arm-tattoo.jpg

Or the simpler: https://www.askideas.com/media/13/Black-Geometric-Deer-Head-Tattoo-On-Forearm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

I made a deal with myself that at 40 I'm getting a tattoo. Im 34 now...Always wanted one but could never decide what to get.

Was thinking something space/astronomy related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'll go against the consensus here and advise against it. I'm 40 myself and never had the urge to get one either. I've always thought of them as tacky dirty things that you'll ultimately end up regretting a few years down the line. I've seen people destroy themselves with them and it'd actually put me off someone to be honest.

Anyway, just my 2c but if you've never bothered to this point, why now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

I find them pretty tacky to be honest but my opinion (or anyone else's) for that matter isn't really relevant. If it makes you happy then go for it. Just make sure it can be covered up for things like job interviews.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭NeverWaining

Mid life crisis time!

If you want one go for it. Get something that you think you'll still like when you're old (and accept that you're old!). And probably best to make sure it can be covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I'm not going to say yay or nay to the tattoo, as it's your choice. But here's a link to an app that superimposes tattoo designs onto photos so you can decide what you want and see what it looks like.

I'm sure there are other apps as well so you can search for them.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 johnphillips

Go for it if you want one!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭jones 19

Don't bother with it. A tattoo on your shoulder or anywhere you can't see it doesn't make sense. Are you going to admire it with a mirror ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Op just go for it.But then again Im biased!!
    My wife has just completed a half sleeve at 42.
    Ive most of my right arm done.
    Im planning a full sized back piece of an illustration from the John Milton poem "Paradise Lost"
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=paradise+lost+milton&biw=1511&bih=691&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjI3_SmpZrMAhXMwBQKHewyAuQQ_AUIBygB&dpr=0.9

One of the black and grey ones the full size from neck to waist.Just trying to find the right artist now.
    Its going to be a masterpiece like having a piece of art on my skin.

But yeah go for it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I'll go against the consensus here and advise against it. I'm 40 myself and never had the urge to get one either.

But that's just you.Plenty of people love tattoos.
    I've always thought of them as tacky dirty things that you'll ultimately end up regretting a few years down the line. I've seen people destroy themselves with them and it'd actually put me off someone to be honest.

Theyre not dirty or tacky and at 40 youre less likely to regret a tattoo than if you got a stupid design in your teens/early 20s.
    Im inked for half my life now and don't regret any of them.
    Can I ask why it would put you off someone?
    I know people really high up in some companies and government agencies that command a lot of respect but have a lot of decent tattoos.It shouldn't change anyones opinion of them.
    Anyway, just my 2c but if you've never bothered to this point, why now?

Midlife crisis :D:D

Feck it I want a motorbike but cant pass the theory test even though Ive been driving since I was 17.

Maybe its one of those things the OP has always wanted but never got around to it and now at 40 they are determined to get one.Nothing wrong with it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I got one at 20 and have regretted it ever since. I had 1 blast of laser but never went back for more. It's on my shoulder so I don't have to look at it but when I take off a t-shirt I know it's there and I hate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭LostTazMan

If you want it then go for it. As Hellrazer says you're mature enough to pick something that is to your taste. In my opinion the people who don't like their tattoos either got them for a reason that is no longer important to them, got one on a whim, or got a poor quality job done.

When you are sure that you want a SPECIFIC tattoo find a good artist who suits you and go for it. Any reputable artist will be glad to talk to you about your design when they are quiet, and to show you some of their work. Take your time and you will have something to be proud of, rush it and the bets are off!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 keavebm253

_Kaiser_ wrote:
    I'll go against the consensus here and advise against it. I'm 40 myself and never had the urge to get one either. I've always thought of them as tacky dirty things that you'll ultimately end up regretting a few years down the line. I've seen people destroy themselves with them and it'd actually put me off someone to be honest.

Go for it.there not horrible dirty things.i have 37 tattoos and I've never regretted any love them all

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭LostTazMan

jones 19 wrote: »
    Don't bother with it. A tattoo on your shoulder or anywhere you can't see it doesn't make sense. Are you going to admire it with a mirror ?

I have a great tattoo on my back. It's hard for me to see it, but I know it's there, I know why I got it, and I've never regretted getting it. It's 20 years ago when I got it now, so I'll probably never regret it now! :-)

Different people have different tastes, and tattooing is a subject that brings out strong opinions, I have no problem with anyone disliking tattoos provided they are civilised about it!

• Advertisement

Do what ya want ffs. I'm 27 and have none, though I had some great ideas when I was younger, never had the funds for it and I'm glad I didn't get any now. In time I may change my mind. Because when it comes down to it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

No. Go for it. Be a long time dead.

I have no opinion about a tattoo, its your body.
    But the above is just silly. I really do hate sayings like that.
    Its the same as, here for a good time, not a long time.

Never make an important decision thinking, that youll be dead a long time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

why oh why do people get tattoos? i mena why would you want to draw all over yourself? and why do something to yourself thats permanent and if you hate it later your screwed... ever wallpaper your room and a year or so later say i hate that paper and change it and say what was i thinking? ever buy a jumper and after a year say i hate this jumper and stop wearing it and say what was i thinking? ever have a mad haircut then realise you dont like it and get a different hair cut and say what was i thinking? yea, well in all those cases you can change things....with a tattoo you cant, dont do it to yourself people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

jezzer wrote: »
    why oh why do people get tattoos? i mena why would you want to draw all over yourself? and why do something to yourself thats permanent and if you hate it later your screwed... ever wallpaper your room and a year or so later say i hate that paper and change it and say what was i thinking? ever buy a jumper and after a year say i hate this jumper and stop wearing it and say what was i thinking? ever have a mad haircut then realise you dont like it and get a different hair cut and say what was i thinking? yea, well in all those cases you can change things....with a tattoo you cant, dont do it to yourself people

I have several tattoos, had them for going on 12 years. Still love em.
    My mother has tattoos, had them for some 30 years, still loves them.

Best advice about tattoos is get something important to you and you'll love it forever.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I have several tattoos, had them for going on 12 years. Still love em.
    My mother has tattoos, had them for some 30 years, still loves them.

Best advice about tattoos is get something important to you and you'll love it forever.

well if you really really have to get tattoos, i guess thats at least some sense to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Don't :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

jezzer wrote:
    why oh why do people get tattoos?

I don't have any at the moment, but I plan on two. One is of an outline of a horses head, because horses are a big part of who I am.. and that one is going on my left wrist. The second is of an ink print of my dog's paw because he's getting old but he has done a great deal for me through out my life and although I don't know how I'm gonna cope when he does die, having something of him permanently with me I think would help the process. That one I really want to put on my left ribcage, but have been advised against it due to the pain of where it is (but I'm very tempted to do it anyway). Although I am young, both of these are something I cannot possibly regret.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Sonics2k wrote: »

QFT ^^^.

Take your time and come up with something that you really like. Remember it'll be there for a long time, so don't just go and get something vapid. A good friend of mine here in South Yorkshire owns her own tattoo studio (helped her set it up) and that's what she said to me and what she says to pretty much everyone. Well, she puts the "don't pick something vapid" a little more diplomatically than I have.

In my personal opinion, I'd also consider not just picking something out of a tattoo book unless it's really, really inspired. Get something that's unique & personal to you.

Lemming wrote: »

In my personal opinion, I'd also consider not just picking something out of a tattoo book unless it's really, really inspired. Get something that's unique & personal to you.

Single biggest mistake that people make.Go in,look in the books and pick one out that 10,000000 other people have.

Theyre the ones that I find regret them in a few years time.

Get something personal.Mark the milestones/regrets in your life with them and you wont regret it.

Actually feck that--get a unique,one off design that no one else has and you wont regret it.
    Pick a tribal ,Irish flag, skull off the wall of a tattoo shop and you will.

• Advertisement

You cant really compare wallpaper,clothes etc with tattoos.
    Its a small/closed minded argument to be completely honest.

Tattoos have been around for thousands of years.They`ll always be around.
    But my honest opinion is basically this.

If you don't like them then don't get one but don't go preaching to people that do like them. Im sorry but mind your own business and let me do what I want with my own skin.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    You cant really compare wallpaper,clothes etc with tattoos.
    Its a small/closed minded argument to be completely honest.

Tattoos have been around for thousands of years.They`ll always be around.
    But my honest opinion is basically this.

If you don't like them then don't get one but don't go preaching to people that do like them. Im sorry but mind your own business and let me do what I want with my own skin.

but people with tattoos are a bad influence on young kids who think its cool only to realise when they have to grow up and get real jobs they look ridiculous, we cant all be hairdressers and ex cons

but people with tattoos are a bad influence on young kids who think its cool only to realise when they have to grow up and get real jobs they look ridiculous, we cant all be hairdressers and ex cons

Are you serious???
    A bad influence on kids?Only ex cons and hairdressers?
    Are you nuts?
    If that's your attitude then your post is idiotic and the sign of an extremely closed minded individual.

Im neither an ex con or a hairdresser.If you saw me in my working role you wouldn't even know I have tattoos.

Statements like yours are downright ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

46 in August, had 3 tattoos done 15 years ago (shoulder to elbows both arms) nothing since until last week when I got a smallish one (personal to me) on inside right forearm, already looking into next one, beware the ink bug :D

Lol

Idiotic statement, I work in an office and no one has ever once mentioned my tattoos. Owner of the last company I worked (large financial company) for had tattoos on his arms too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Not sure if serious .....

• Advertisement

Lol

Idiotic statement, I work in an office and no one has ever once mentioned my tattoos. Owner of the last company I worked (large financial company) for had tattoos on his arms too

a guy who owns a financial company has tattoos? what has the world come to? there was a time when people had a bit of decorum.

When I am dealing with anyone and I see they have tattoos my opinion of them falls dramatically especially in a professional situation.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Are you serious???
    A bad influence on kids?Only ex cons and hairdressers?
    Are you nuts?
    If that's your attitude then your post is idiotic and the sign of an extremely closed minded individual.

Im neither an ex con or a hairdresser.If you saw me in my working role you wouldn't even know I have tattoos.

Statements like yours are downright ridiculous.

sorry i forgot fishermen too

People need to grow up and act accordingly

a guy who owns a financial company has tattoos? what has the world come to? there was a time when people had a bit of decorum.

When I am dealing with anyone and I see they have tattoos my opinion of them falls dramatically especially in a professional situation.

Why?

The ink on my body does not define the person I am.

Why?

The ink on my body does not define the person I am.

it just looks bad and normally associated with convicts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Well my opinion of you has fallen dramatically after reading this. I guess everyone's different. Go figure.

• Advertisement

Absolute bolloxollogy :rolleyes:

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Well my opinion of you has fallen dramatically after reading this. I guess everyone's different. Go figure.

thats fair enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Right, but King George V had a rather large tattoo. I also happen to personally know 4 lawyers, 2 Surgeons, 1 O.R. Nurse and 6 teachers with tattoos. A number of them also have full sleeves.

In closing. You're talking nonsense my friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

OP, I'll echo what others have said: If it's something you've always wanted and you have a design you love, then go for it. I only have two so far, but I love them both and plan to add to them when the time is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Haven't got any, not sure if I ever will, not because I'm against them but because I've had a hard time thinking of what I'd like to get on me for the rest of my days, Haven't thought of it yet though!

If you've something in mind, go for it, but if it's just a fleeting fancy, I'd say wait a few months

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

jezzer don't post in this thread again. Smells way too much like trolling and if it isn't, well you've made your point. So no more. Only warning.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    jezzer don't post in this thread again. Smells way too much like trolling and if it isn't, well you've made your point. So no more. Only warning.

No I certainly am not trolling, just making my point but fair enough your the boss of this thread

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jezzer, you clearly read the instruction and warning, but chose to ignore both. Since this isn't your first time for this kinda thing, take the week off.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Theirs new ink for tattoos on the way that can be removed after a year without a laser.

http://www.sciencealert.com/newly-developed-tattoo-ink-is-designed-to-disappear-after-a-year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

They're dirty looking yokes on just about everyone, especially as folk get older.

That's my thinking on them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement