Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking about a tattoo

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 James cushnan

Got my 1st one on my upper arm at 42, now 50 and I am thinking on getting one on the other arm love my tattoo, go for it but get one that has a meaning for you and over time when you look at it, it will have a meaning for YOU and no one else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Tattoos when done well by an actual artist, with talent, look good, they are aesthetically pleasing, but the vast vast majority of them are little more than trite scrawls. I mean is another cheesy motivational quote in jet black cyrillic or ancient greek contrasting against your pale flabby Irish flesh something anyone really needs?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

When done well they look pretty good.

I think with these things less is definitely more though. Once age starts kicking in and the skin starts sagging, what looked like an exotic Chinese symbol tattoo in your twenties, can end up resembling a discarded work by Jackson Pollock in your forties and beyond.

As stated by others in this thread, if you're going to get one make sure it's something that's important to you because you will have it for life.

Each to their own, but I personally wouldn't be interested in getting one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,724 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

mzungu wrote: »
    When done well they look pretty good.

I think with these things less is definitely more though. Once age starts kicking in and the skin starts sagging, what looked like an exotic Chinese symbol tattoo in your twenties, can end up resembling a discarded work by Jackson Pollock in your forties and beyond.

As stated by others in this thread, if you're going to get one make sure it's something that's important to you because you will have it for life.

You poor misguided fool.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

You poor misguided fool.

Visually it's not the most appealing to my eye. I don't think age improves the look of a tattoo.

But like I said:

Visually it's not the most appealing to my eye. I don't think age improves the look of a tattoo.

But like I said:

Well I'm almost 46 and have several tattoos and indeed got a new one 2 weeks ago, looks fine but I guess if you are in your 20's then my age seems ancient to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Got my 1st one on my upper arm at 42, now 50 and I am thinking on getting one on the other arm love my tattoo, go for it but get one that has a meaning for you and over time when you look at it, it will have a meaning for YOU and no one else.

This seems to be a really modern take on tattoos. Getting something that has *meaning*. Just get something that looks amazing, or that you like the look of. No point attributing some mad heartfelt reason behind it.

Well I'm almost 46 and have several tattoos and indeed got a new one 2 weeks ago, looks fine but I guess if you are in your 20's then my age seems ancient to you.

Pushing into the latter end of the thirties here, so I'd like to think 46 is still relatively young!!

I have noticed stretching with friends of mine who got them in their teens and early twenties. As they grew (drastically in some cases) the gloss was somewhat removed from the original product (artistically very impressive). Some of them now regret it, but others don't and see it as a part of them and that's cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

If you have to ask you're not ready

• Advertisement

Pushing into the latter end of the thirties here, so I'd like to think 46 is still relatively young!!

I have noticed stretching with friends of mine who got them in their teens and early twenties. As they grew (drastically in some cases) the gloss was somewhat removed from the original product (artistically very impressive). Some of them now regret it, but others don't and see it as a part of them and that's cool.

I don't regret my tattoos I do love them but when I see today's work I do wish I had kept both upper arms free, prime real estate :D

Advertisement