Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good lunches for under a tenner pref. under/around fiver

Options
  • 08-04-2016 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Trying to cut back and eat something other than burgers and fish and chips, and trying to find some cheap but nice places to eat.
    I'm based in Dublin/Bray, but also looking for other places as I'll be travelling around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Do you mean for a lunch during working hours?

Would it not be better to prepare fresh lunches at home? Would save you a fortune and would likely be alot nicer, easier on the waistline also!

Things like pasta salad, chicken salads, soup (in a flask), wraps/pittas filled with grilled chicken/ ham & cheese and any salad you like. All could be made the night before just leave any sauce off bready foods until just before you leave home to avoid them going soggy.

Eating out healthily for 5 euro is hard done by these days. Many deli sandwiches/ rolls etc are lethal on fat and they would mostly be the price range you are looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I get a wrap around here in a local place the odd time and I think it's reasonably healthy.

Wholemeal wrap, roast turkey, salad leaves, peppers and a bit of relish in it. Delicious, and I think it's 3.40.

They do the whole southern fried chicken, jambons lark as well, but they can make up wraps if you ask them.

Any noodle places around, or bento boxes. Big portion of noodle soup with veggies isn't mad money usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Nice range of wraps and sandwiches in Aldi for 1.29

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Do you mean for a lunch during working hours?

Would it not be better to prepare fresh lunches at home? Would save you a fortune and would likely be alot nicer, easier on the waistline also!

Things like pasta salad, chicken salads, soup (in a flask), wraps/pittas filled with grilled chicken/ ham & cheese and any salad you like. All could be made the night before just leave any sauce off bready foods until just before you leave home to avoid them going soggy.

Eating out healthily for 5 euro is hard done by these days. Many deli sandwiches/ rolls etc are lethal on fat and they would mostly be the price range you are looking at.

Agreed. You could have a tasty, nutritious cold lunch for 1 to 3 euros and thrown together in minutes before you leave home. eg a combination of tinned fish (salmon, sardine and herring are underrated imo), vacuum packed smoked mackerel or salmon, cold cuts of meat, hard-boiled eggs, cheese, tomato, beetroot (jar or vacuum packed), onion (scallions or red), sweetcorn, grated raw carrot, raw celery, cold boiled potatoes, good quality brown bread (like McCambridges).

It might be boring, but you could probably survive healthily on that diet alone if you added some extra vegetables and, for me anyway, beer or wine.

We're fortunate in one thing in Ireland: good food is cheap to buy!

Advertisement