Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to non-stick frying pan

Options
  • 08-04-2016 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the best place to post but....Looking to replace our non-stick frying pan with a non non-stick frying pan? What are my options if any?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A non non-stick frying pan?
    That'd be a just a plain ol' frying pan you're looking for then. :)

Have you considered a ceramic pan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Lodge is a popular range of cast iron products including several cast iron skillets which come without the Teflon coatings. American made products for the BBQ and camping market. Look here for the options and try Amazon for availability.

De Buyer is a French made brand that includes black iron and stainless steel uncoated frying pans. www.debuyer.com/en Nisbets.ie and Amazon for limited availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Think I'll give this ceramic pan a shot.

Minder wrote: »
    Lodge is a popular range of cast iron products including several cast iron skillets which come without the Teflon coatings. American made products for the BBQ and camping market. Look here for the options and try Amazon for availability.

De Buyer is a French made brand that includes black iron and stainless steel uncoated frying pans. www.debuyer.com/en Nisbets.ie and Amazon for limited availability.

On 2nd thoughts, after looking at this de buyer I think I'll give this a go. Thank you for the recommendation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Cast iron all the way. If you cure it correctly you will have a beautiful non stick pan that you will have your entire life.

Don't wash it with fairy or the likes. Just water and a stiff brush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

The only problem I find is the sizes are all quite small. Have you checked either of those options against the pan you are replacing?

Minder wrote: »
    The only problem I find is the sizes are all quite small. Have you checked either of those options against the pan you are replacing?

Yes I have, it's like for like - 28cm.

Cast iron all the way. If you cure it correctly you will have a beautiful non stick pan that you will have your entire life.

Don't wash it with fairy or the likes. Just water and a stiff brush.

Sound. Some interesting things to note in relation to what I bought:

Mineral B Element pans are covered with beeswax. Does it definitively coat the utensils?
    We coat Mineral B Element pans with beeswax to protect them from oxidation during their shipping and their storage. This protection also facilitates the seasoning and improves pan non-stick properties.
    Beeswax coating is not permanent and will disappear when the pan is washed previously to the first use. It is important to carefully remove the outer beeswax layer to avoid staining your cooktop.

Why does meat stick to the pan during the cooking?
    During the cooking, foods stick to the pan before coming off easily. This is the cauterizing and caramelization phase that enables meat to remain tender and juicy by keeping its water inside. Therefore, as long as this cauterizing phase is still going on (as long as meat doesn’t show a browned crust), you should not try to turn your piece of meat over. Sealing your piece of meat this way leads to the Maillard reaction (occurring at about 140°C) that reveals all the flavours of food. Once it is well sealed, meat will come off the pan easily.
    We recommend you not to pierce the piece of meat before cooking it.

How to season my iron pan? When is it seasoned?
    Pour about 1mm of oil into your iron pan and heat it. Once the oil slightly steams, empty it into a recipient and wipe the pan with a paper towel.
    The seasoning of your pan will be optimal and efficient after having cooked red meat 10 times. The more your pan is used, the best the cooking results are. The more it blackens, the less it sticks. Once your pan is well seasoned, you will be able to cook more delicate food such as eggs, fishes…

How to clean my iron pan?
    Once food is cooked, deglaze your utensil by pouring some liquid into it (wine, water…). This step will enable you to make a delicious sauce easily and to remove stuck food.
    After deglazing the pan, clean it with warm water. If residues remain, you should use an abrasive sponge. Dry the pan immediately and slightly oil it to avoid rust. Then, tidy it up in a dry place.
    Careful: Never clean your iron pan in a dishwasher or with detergent products as they would damage your pan and its seasoning. Never soak your utensil or let it dry on a kitchen sink as it could oxidise.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Or a regular pan and use a good quality parchment paper in it to stop the "sticking", some chefs go that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Don't laugh, but my best buy, pan wise, has been a cast iron saute pan from Tesco's.
    Deep enough to make any sauce or stirfry,and the clear glass out prevents splatters.
    Biggest mistake with any type of pan is letting it get too hot.

Edit, just looked, it's actually stainless steel with some kind of heavy base bonded on.
    It was about 28 Euro at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Cast iron all the way. I'm waiting for my near end of life expensive tefal to give up so it can be replaced by a proper cast-iron.

You can throw them in the oven to finish a steak or under the grill to finish a fritatta. Hard to beat.

Never soap it. If it refuses to give up a bad odour just fry some onions in it.

It needn't be expensive either: http://www.adverts.ie/pans-bakeware/cast-iron-frying-pan/9924182

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I love my well used old cast iron pans but I always have a non stick pan too. They have different uses.

The cast iron ones are great for searing meat in and roasting or grilling in but I wouldn't dream of trying to fry fish or do an omelette in one.

So, yes, a well seasoned cast iron pan is a wonderful thing, it isn't a replacement for a non stick pan, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I love my well used old cast iron pans but I always have a non stick pan too. They have different uses.

The cast iron ones are great for searing meat in and roasting or grilling in but I wouldn't dream of trying to fry fish or do an omelette in one.

So, yes, a well seasoned cast iron pan is a wonderful thing, it isn't a replacement for a non stick pan, imo.

Yep I'd be the same. I'd use the cast iron for steak or lamb chops but for omlettes or fish I'd use stainless steel pans.

Advertisement