Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mechatronics (online) level 7

Options
  • 09-04-2016 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Has anyone done this course or is anyone doing it at the moment. I'm starting this course in September so i am looking for as much information as possible, is the course run well, are the classes good, job opportunities after, are the maths very hard??.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cctvtech

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mattym

I'm an electrician hoping to start this course in September as well but it's about 15 years since I studied. I am a bit concerned about the maths on the course. Would anyone have any further information on the course please?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

I'm half way through this course. There is no maths in first year so I have no experience of that. There are 6 maths revision lectures I have to go through before September, I'm absolutely shocking bad at maths so I'm working on that now.

There is a lot of pain all over Christmas, one exam before and two after and a giant b#$tard nightmare scada assignment. Two more exams in may and another scada assignment. The rest of the time its fine. You have 4 lectures a week that you can review any time.

One downfall of online learning is that you are isolated. Back when i did my level 6 all those years ago when you couldn't get something to work you could ask somebody beside you. We don't have that luxury with online learning. We have a whatsapp group which is fantastic, but on something very complicated it cant help much.

There is very little help from some lecturers. Employment opportunities seem to be good, I've been working for intel for years, they only recognize level 8 degrees so i'm working towards that. A lot of guys in the course are going to level 7 only, there employers are happy with that.

Do the course, it will fly by. Also book in asap, the places fill up crazy fast. It might be booked very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

Not familiar with this particular course but it is great to be able to listen to recorded lectures. You can pause, go back if you are not sure of a point.

I also completed a course in another college recently and we had a facebook group and we organised occasional group calls.

This worked really well, both a social element but also allowed discussion on topics of interest.

Also if you can have a small study group of 3 or 4 it is great, particularly with all the technology to communicate and share information.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

There has been about a 10-12 FSE,s where I work who are electricians with level 7&8 mechatronics courses behind them have left to work in Medical/ pharmaceutical they are in high demand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 elec28

hi

I'm starting this course in september.
    Speaking to friends that done it , it seems very interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cctvtech

elec28 wrote: »
    hi

I'm starting this course in september.
    Speaking to friends that done it , it seems very interesting

what areas are they working in now. is the money good starting off??

• Registered Users Posts: 3 elec28

cctvtech wrote: »
    what areas are they working in now. is the money good starting off??

Two of them were self employed so it just ment taking on better job. And the other stay with the company he's was working with so kept his electrian salary. I don't think the money's great starting of with no experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Iv just got a BSc in IT from WIT and want to branch into Engineering with this course. I was set to do an BEng in manufacturing engineering in september in WIT but iv just got an email to say the course is cancelled, you can imagine what kind of position this leaves me in.

Is the entry requirement of the level 6 mandatory or are they willing to overlook this?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

they will overlook it, but the course is full. You have to apply early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭Hijpo

FS, thought i might have a chance when it looked like it was still open for late applicants.

WIT has really f***ed me on this one.

Advertisement