Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting / sharing accommodation, over 40's

Options
  • 09-04-2016 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Is there many single people over 40 sharing accommodation? If you say, split up with your wife /partner what do you do, where do you go?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It's not unheard of but I'd think it's unusual. Back when I was house sharing I lived for a while with an English lady in her 50s. She was a hippy dippy type though and never lived anywhere for more than a year or two. I also remember a truck driver who was away a lot and a lady who only was going to be working in the area for 3 months.

It's fine in the short term but I'd say for most people in their 40s, house sharing isn't where they want to be. Especially if they have children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Just by way of feedback, I'm not saying I'm right or proud of the fact, but I wouldn't rent to anyone significantly older than myself personally. (As a rent-a-room). I'm sure someone older would be delighted to have some one of a similar age. By older I mean mature not old. 50 being the new 40 and all that :pac:

It's just how I feel I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Are you facing into something like this yourself, OP?

I've shared with a person who was 40 odd when I was mid 20's. Best housemate I've had and only one I would actually keep in touch with. He was just a single guy and is still sharing away as far as I know will into his mid 40's now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

When I was in college I shared with someone in their 40s. She was single. Got along grand. House was quiet, organised and no hassles. It worked well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Paulw wrote: »
    When I was in college I shared with someone in their 40s. She was single. Got along grand. House was quiet, organised and no hassles. It worked well.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It does get harder to find sound house-mates as you (and they) get older: The proportion who are still single because they have personal issues that affect their ability to relate to other people gets quite high after about 30-something.

But I guess there must come a point where this changes, and there are a good few potential housemates who are single due to divorce or being widowed. Not sure where this point is though.

And that's a statement on a population basis. You might be lucky and find excellent 40+ housemates, I know there definitely are some around.

Advertisement