Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subjects that overlap

Options
  • 09-04-2016 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I signed up to do: higher level math, english, spanish, agricultural science, history, business and ordinary level irish in fifth year.

My teacher told me I should do one more subject so I was wondering do any subjects overlap a lot with any of those? I am good at essays and learning things off but am awful at science.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

There aren't a lot of subjects that overlap hugely in interests of fairness but Biology or Geography could be good options as small parts of both courses overlap with Ag Science. Both subjects are mostly just memorisation and Geography involves a lot of essays which you said that you're good at. However both subjects have fairly long courses and you may not want to do another science subject (Biology) if you're bad at science - I would recommend talking to some 6th years and flipping through the textbooks of each subject before making your decision though, as Biology is seen by lots of people as the easiest science subject (of course this will be different for everyone) compared to Chemistry or Physics which involve a much greater depth of understanding.

You could also look at Economics as small parts of the course overlap with Business. It's a very short course with repetitive exam questions and it mostly involves memorisation - once you pay attention to the marking scheme it's very easy to get a good grade in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

berco24 wrote: »
    I signed up to do: higher level math, english, spanish, agricultural science, history, business and ordinary level irish in fifth year.

My teacher told me I should do one more subject so I was wondering do any subjects overlap a lot with any of those? I am good at essays and learning things off but am awful at science.

Geography would have a good chunk of learning stuff off and has a lot of essays too!

Economics is a nice short course that'd mainly involve learning things off as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

I thought of the same subjects as Bazinga above! I think Economics might be a good choice in particular, because the course is much shorter than the geography course and so it would be an easier eighth subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 berco24

thanks so much! Looking at Ag science it does look a lot like geography but I like that there's loads of choice on the Economics papers so I'll have a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Was this a career guidance counsellor? Do you feel the need to do an extra subject? Are you busy enough with the 7 subjects you have? What would be the purpose of the 8th subject?

• Advertisement

Was this a career guidance counsellor? Do you feel the need to do an extra subject? Are you busy enough with the 7 subjects you have? What would be the purpose of the 8th subject?

Yeah it was the career guidance counsellor. I'm not sure if I need it or not but I'm doing ordinary level irish so it might be good to do 8 for safety? I'm in fourth year so only choosing my subjects now and don't really know how many to do

The vast majority of students do 7 subjects and get along fine. Seven subjects is quite a workload. It also largely depends on the type of grades you might expect to get in your LC (I know that's hard to predict right now) and the type of courses you might be interested in and the ballpark points you might need.

E.g. if you have an idea that you want to do a general degree in arts, business, science for example, you'll probably be ok with points in the 400 region, and should be fine with what you have. If you are looking at the high points courses like medicine, dentistry etc, that need a near perfect leaving cert and one of your current subjects is likely to be a low C for example, that's when you might consider an extra subject : that you can get a better grade in than your current weakest subject. Beyond that, if it's not filling a subject requirement or replacing one of your current HL subjects for points, then it's just a whole load of extra hassle for no extra gain.

I'm not sure what I want to do so at the moment I want to keep my options open and aim for the most points I can. If I can I want to find subjects that overlap or a subject with a short enough course to make the work load manageable. That's why I'm leaning toward economics

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

LCVP

Ag Science and Business qualify you.

LCVP

Ag Science and Business qualify you.

what is the LCVP?

• Advertisement

what is the LCVP?

Leaving Cert Vocational Programme. You do work experience and learn about the world of work. There is some things in common with Business.

however it is graded as Distinction, Merit and Pass. Distinction is worth 70 points so if you were planning on higher than a C1 in your extra subject then LCVP is not going to help you.

If you haven't heard of it, maybe your school doesn't offer it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

LCVP is going down to 66 marks, which in any other subject is in the 60-70 percent category.
    I think it would be far more realistic to get 60 percent in another subject rather than going for 85+ percent in lcvp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Boaty wrote: »
    LCVP is going down to 66 marks, which in any other subject is in the 60-70 percent category.
    I think it would be far more realistic to get 60 percent in another subject rather than going for 85+ percent in lcvp.

LCVP is by far the easiest LC subject to get points in - unless you are guaranteed at least a C1 at higher level in 6 subjects then LCVP is where you should go.

LCVP is by far the easiest LC subject to get points in - unless you are guaranteed at least a C1 at higher level in 6 subjects then LCVP is where you should go.

Only 1 in 11 get a Distinction. Not exactly the easy honour. Particularly when it's only worth 66 points in the new points scheme or a H4 equivalent (60-69%).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Pretty sure LCVP isn't a subject you can just take up because technically if you take LCVP you're doing a different Leaving Cert course to the Leaving Certificate Established. Also if your school doesn't teach LCVP organising work experience and recorded interviews and the fact the exam is on in May rather than June would prove very difficult.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes, there are quite a few restrictions on LCVP.

Advertisement