Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Long stay @ Dublin airport how do I come back to a full battery?

• 09-04-2016 10:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

long stay @ Dublin airport how do I come back to a full battery?

Is there any facility for this need?

How have others tackled this need?

Comments

Just plug in and it's charged, how long are you going for ? I wouldn't have it sitting at 100% charge for days

So what I would do is plug it in with a timer set for a few days time to charge for 10 mins then remote activate the charge from the internet or app before you fly home this way the battery won't be sitting at 100 %. Allow up to 7-8 hrs for a full charge from about 17% .

If you plug in the car with the timer set it won't charge immediately , if there is no timer set it charges immediately when you plug in.

As far as I'm aware you can't pre book the airport charge points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,726 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just plug in and it's charged, how long are you going for ? I wouldn't have it sitting at 100% charge for days

So what I would do is plug it in with a timer set for a few days time to charge for 10 mins then remote activate the charge from the internet or app before you fly home this way the battery won't be sitting at 100 %. Allow up to 7-8 hrs for a full charge from about 17% .

If you plug in the car with the timer set it won't charge immediately , if there is no timer set it charges immediately when you plug in.

As far as I'm aware you can't pre book the airport charge points.

So you block the charger for s week or two?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

I went on holiday for a couple of weeks and parked in quick park. I noted the cars on the chargers when i was driving in were still there when I was driving out a couple of weeks later.
    Should be a €10 per day charge for having a car connected to a charger. That would sort out that hogging.

ted1 wrote: »
    So you block the charger for s week or two?

Sorry I misunderstood the original question, you meant can you leave the car connected to the charger for days, weeks ?

The answer is yes, that's the only way to do this or charge at the 2 fast chargers close by which if you have the 30 kWh will charge a lot faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,726 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Sorry I misunderstood the original question, you meant can you leave the car connected to the charger for days, weeks ?

The answer is yes, that's the only way to do this or charge at the 2 fast chargers close by which if you have the 30 kWh will charge a lot faster.

Valet parking of EVs makes a lot more sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

Is valet parking an option how do I arrange it?

And a lot more expense.

heliguyheliguy, would a fast charge be out of the question on the way home ?

How far are you from the airport ?

heliguyheliguy, would a fast charge be out of the question on the way home ?

How far are you from the airport ?

I have a fluance so fast charging is out of the question.

I`m Navan far from the airport, Just a little shy of a comfortable return trip.

I`m really surprised that there is not an organised solution for this, I guess they just expect you to park and hog the space for the duration of your trip, what a waste of resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I`m really surprised that there is not an organised solution for this, I guess they just expect you to park and hog the space for the duration of your trip, what a waste of resources.

If they were smart they could charge a fee and put people car on charge they day before they returned. Obviously you need to leave them the key unless they had a mobile charging point. Can you opening the charging point on a ev with out a key?

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    Can you opening the charging point on a ev with out a key?

You can leave the charge port door open but you'd still need to park the car in the charge bay if you didn't give the key to someone so it could be moved.

The DAA couldn't care less about EV charging, the charge points are only there to make them look good and appear to be green.

If you need to hog a charge point then do so but as far as I am aware you can't pre book them so getting one empty EV space is a 50 50 chance.

If there's not a better system by the DAA for EV owners then hog away , it's not like you're just doing it for the free electricity or have the choice to do otherwise. It's up to the DAA to install more charge points. It's a shame they don't have faster than 3.7 Kw chargers for someone picking up someone and having to wait.

They dont expect people to hog the chargers.
    It just takes a seriously ignorant EV driver to hog the chargers.
    I dont even park at a charger unless im actually charging.
    Parking in the airport I wouldnt even park at the charger, because hogging it for longer than it takes to get your charge would be pure ignorance on my part.
    And then that ignorance just means less use of the charger for everybody, including the hoggers. What happens when you gets there and another hogger is already hogging. It just gets worse.
    People should either not bring an EV to the airport, or do their charging (fast or slow) before or after they travel.

The Airport charge points are different to normal public charge points, if you need to use a charge point and you are flying out you have no choice but to leave the car plugged in whether it's charging or not, in my opinion this is what they are installed for, though in reality they were really only installed for publicity. There wasn't a great deal of thought put into it.

The charge points are too slow to be used by people collecting passengers and the only other use would be for people flying out and coming back the same day , but that still doesn't serve all EV drivers so in my opinion the DAA should either install a lot more charge points or have people to move cars that they are charged by the time the driver returns and this is unlikely, whatever about installing more charge points.

What would be a lot more annoying to me would be if someone plugs in for 2 weeks that lives well within the distance of a full charge.

The Airport charge points are different to normal public charge points, if you need to use a charge point and you are flying out you have no choice but to leave the car plugged in whether it's charging or not, in my opinion this is what they are installed for, though in reality they were really only installed for publicity. There wasn't a great deal of thought put into it.

The charge points are too slow to be used by people collecting passengers and the only other use would be for people flying out and coming back the same day , but that still doesn't serve all EV drivers so in my opinion the DAA should either install a lot more charge points or have people to move cars that they are charged by the time the driver returns and this is unlikely, whatever about installing more charge points.

What would be a lot more annoying to me would be if someone plugs in for 2 weeks that lives well within the distance of a full charge.

Of course you have a choice.
    And that choice says a lot about the person making it tbh.
    I live about 100km for Dublin airport.
    I charge before I get to the airport. Heaps of fcps around Dublin airport and the M50, M1, and any other direction you care to name from the airport.
    So I charge up to 80% before I get there, i dont hog the chargers and then I charge on the way home after I collect the car.

If I needed an hour or so one a slow charger before i leave the car park, assuming its not hogged by some inconsiderate idiot, then i'll take one there.

If the leaf wasnt suitable to bring without hogging a charger on someone more needy, then i would make other arrangements to get to and from the airport, like the rest of the population with or without any cars at all do.

There really is no excuse for being a dick, no matter where you are travelling from.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sgalvin

They are only low power points there so are for longer term use not a top up.
    The airport should have many 1-2kw points as cars will be there for at least a day.

For the OP there are 3 optional really.
    1. Plug the car in when you get there and leave a sign on the cable allowing people to unplug after 8 hours. The fluence locks the cable to the car with the central locking anyway so your lead is safe.
    2. Look in the normal area of the carpark for a standard 3 pin plug on a wall and use your granny lead. Same thing with it locked to your car.
    3. Book parking offsite to include a valet for €20 and tell them a charge is part of the scope. Granny lead or otherwise! No charge no pay! They will be moving the car anyway.

DAA had a fleet of kangoo ZE so they probably have some sort of policy on it And/or more chargers on site not listed.

sgalvin wrote: »
    They are only low power points there so are for longer term use not a top up.
    The airport should have many 1-2kw points as cars will be there for at least a day.

For the OP there are 3 optional really.
    1. Plug the car in when you get there and leave a sign on the cable allowing people to unplug after 8 hours. The fluence locks the cable to the car with the central locking anyway so your lead is safe.
    2. Look in the normal area of the carpark for a standard 3 pin plug on a wall and use your granny lead. Same thing with it locked to your car.
    3. Book parking offsite to include a valet for €20 and tell them a charge is part of the scope. Granny lead or otherwise! No charge no pay! They will be moving the car anyway.

DAA had a fleet of kangoo ZE so they probably have some sort of policy on it And/or more chargers on site not listed.

Thank you for a very helpful answer.
    I like the valet solution I will ring them and see if they can do that for me.

yqtwqxqm wrote: »
    I charge before I get to the airport. Heaps of fcps around Dublin airport and the M50, M1, and any other direction you care to name from the airport.
    So I charge up to 80% before I get there, i dont hog the chargers and then I charge on the way home after I collect the car.

If I needed an hour or so one a slow charger before i leave the car park, assuming its not hogged by some inconsiderate idiot, then i'll take one there.

If the leaf wasnt suitable to bring without hogging a charger on someone more needy, then i would make other arrangements to get to and from the airport, like the rest of the population with or without any cars at all do.

There really is no excuse for being a dick, no matter where you are travelling from.
    Not all ev@s can use fcp`s
    And for someone claiming to always do the right thing you are being quite rude and unhelpful in this discussion.

Well there is no point having the charge points at the airport then really if someone can't go on their hols and charge up leaving the car. What other purpose did the DAA have for installing the charge points ? ok sure, publicity was the main one.

Yes EV drivers can park in the normal car park or long term and use the fast chargers and so can the person who only needs a top up so then what's the point of the charge points ?

If someone is going for a day or 2 weeks they're still taking a charger up for longer than a charge takes, and if you're picking up or dropping off passengers they're too slow, this is the DAA's lack of concern for EV drivers in general.

So tell me then , why have charge points in the Airport at all ? I am sure they could well afford to have more charge points and even 3 or 4 DC points too.

Public street chargers and fast chargers is a completely different matter.

I think the airport would be an excellent place for destination charge points (13amp sockets) along with shopping centers, cinemas and other places where visitors typically spend a few hours parked.
    The relative in-expense of standard (outdoor) 13amp sockets would mean hundreds could be installed for the cost of a single fcp.
    And with longer range cars coming and given our islands small size; it is many low cost destination charge points that will best serve Ireland.

• Advertisement

Not all ev@s can use fcp`s
    And for someone claiming to always do the right thing you are being quite rude and unhelpful in this discussion.

The only rude thing in this discussion is hogging chargers that others will not have access to while another car is on them needlessly.
    So make other arrangements. Its really a choice of using up or not using up a resource that others will want to use too.

If you must take your car and it doesnt have fcp capability, then arrive at the carpark with plenty of time to charge, charge it up and move the car away from blocking the charger. Or have plenty of time when you get off your flight and take it to the charger then. Just dont go away and leave your car taking up the charger that someone else might need.

Same goes for any charger tbh.

I think the airport would be an excellent place for destination charge points (13amp sockets) along with shopping centers, cinemas and other places where visitors typically spend a few hours parked.
    The relative in-expense of standard (outdoor) 13amp sockets would mean hundreds could be installed for the cost of a single fcp.
    And with longer range cars coming and given our islands small size; it is many low cost destination charge points that will best serve Ireland.

They were doing this in the UK a few years ago. Every fcp or slow charger had couple of 3 pin sockets on it too. I dont know why but they got rid of them over time. There was also a company installing free chargers to any home or business that wanted them if they let EVs use them. Dont know how well that has gone since.

The only rude thing in this discussion is hogging chargers that others will not have access to while another car is on them needlessly.
    So make other arrangements. Its really a choice of using up or not using up a resource that others will want to use too.

If you must take your car and it doesnt have fcp capability, then arrive at the carpark with plenty of time to charge, charge it up and move the car away from blocking the charger. Or have plenty of time when you get off your flight and take it to the charger then. Just dont go away and leave your car taking up the charger that someone else might need.

Same goes for any charger tbh.

You're being unreasonable and very unfair if you think a Fluence driver with no fast charging capability should wait up to 7 hrs for a charge before or after a flight. That is just pure ridiculous and people know how I stand on Public charger abuse but this is just madness altogether !

Once again, the DAA installed charge points to be used by passengers and if someone needs to plug in and leave for a few days or weeks then so be it that's what they're there for it's up to the DAA to provide a proper EV charging facility where ev owners can plug in and leave for up to 2 weeks at a time.

Chances are you won't get to use the charge point anyway because you can't pre book. You can prebook the car parks but not the chargers, how typical.

I ask you then yqtwqxqm, what do you think is reasonable usage for the Airport charge points ?

13 amp sockets would be great but it would require everyone to have the granny charger.

You wouldn't need them at the likes of cinemas because most people going to the cinema would live close enough.

I think the 300+ Km electrics would render a lot of these charge points unnecessary, I would be able to make an Airport run without charging.

You're being unreasonable and very unfair if you think a Fluence driver with no fast charging capability should wait up to 7 hrs for a charge before or after a flight. That is just pure ridiculous and people know how I stand on Public charger abuse but this is just madness altogether !

Once again, the DAA installed charge points to be used by passengers and if someone needs to plug in and leave for a few days or weeks then so be it that's what they're there for it's up to the DAA to provide a proper EV charging facility where ev owners can plug in and leave for up to 2 weeks at a time.

Chances are you won't get to use the charge point anyway because you can't pre book. You can prebook the car parks but not the chargers, how typical.

I ask you then yqtwqxqm, what do you think is reasonable usage for the Airport charge points ?

Lets ask him how long will he be tying up the charger?

I cant believe you are advocating tying up chargers for extended periods while everyone else who needs to use it during that time can go and jump.

Have you ever hogged an airport charger for an extended period yourself?

Its the same in the train stations. People parking in the morning and being full after a couple of hours, meantime anyone who arrives after that cannot use the chargers.

A fluence, or any other driver, could easily make other arrangements to get to the airport, like anyone else who doesnt own a car capable of making the trip properly.

Im all for more chargers, but i am not for tying up any charger under any circumstances any longer than it takes to charge.

Reasonable usage for all chargers is that you use them or park at them only during the time you are charging your car.

All chargers, including airport chargers should have an automatic amount, even if its zero per hour while charging and then a punitive charge of €10 per hour for being connected to the charger while not charging. That would free up the chargers for people who need them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What are the discharge rates on these cells? If the facility provided by to break the battery out of the circuit and prevent any current leakage would you not return to a mostly full charge?

I cant believe you are advocating tying up chargers for extended periods while everyone else who needs to use it during that time can go and jump.

Its the same in the train stations. People parking in the morning and being full after a couple of hours, meantime anyone who arrives after that cannot use the chargers.

A fluence, or any other driver, could easily make other arrangements to get to the airport, like anyone else who doesnt own a car capable of making the trip properly.

Im all for more chargers, but i am not for tying up any charger under any circumstances any longer than it takes to charge.

Reasonable usage for all chargers is that you use them or park at them only during the time you are charging your car.

All chargers, including airport chargers should have an automatic amount, even if its zero per hour while charging and then a punitive charge of €10 per hour for being connected to the charger while not charging. That would free up the chargers for people who need them.

I have never used the Airport chargers because I mostly drop off and pick up so the charge points in the Airport are completely useless for this so I use the fast charger. If I'm flying out with my partner anywhere we will take the diesel Cee'd estate for the extra space and because I wouldn't pay to stay in the short term.

So you're suggesting that if someone needs to charge and flying out that this is abuse of the chargers ?

So what would you deem acceptable usage then ? you said in the time it takes to charge ?

So tell me then, if it takes up to 7 hrs to charge some electrics how do you think someone can wait around up to 7 hrs in the airport ? the chargers are too slow to charge an ev in any meaningful amount of time. If someone needs the chargers and doesn't need to fly out then the fast chargers are close by.

If someone is to make alternative arrangements then what the hell use are the charge points ?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sgalvin

I am all for charging for use of the public charge network for 2 reasons.
    1.the charging hardware will have to be maintained and replaced
    2. People should pay for their motoring and charge at home where possible.

I do not think that you should get free parking at a charge point quite the opposite in order to reserve for those who need them.
    At least €5/hour to park at the public charger parking space (charging or not) and free everywhere else.

What the original post was about parking In the airport which Is realistically going to be for an extended period.

A charger located inside a long stay carpark is not a public charger.
    The government/esb should not be sponsoring a charger not in a public place where access is controlled by others.

A charge point in a long stay carpark is only going to be used by someone using the carpark.

Someone using a long stay carpark is there for at least 3 days which is a long time. If it's a private business it's a commercial aspect where the the private car parks should be selling as a service.

ive sent the qpark and the daa an email asking that they introduce a steep per day charge for these chargers, outlining the problem of hogging that is common when there is no charge for parking at a charger when not charging.
    I pointed out that this could be an additional revenue stream for them and that they could have it as an extra €10 or so oer day payable at the time of booking. So you could book your place on the charger if you feel you need it but would have to pay a lot for extended use.
    I also pointed out to them that they should have a bank of parking soace with 3 pin plugs for EVs that they could charge extra for too. That might get more charging spaces available.

Hopefully they will sit up and take notice.

I think you are right too that any public charger should charge double for the parking space.

• Advertisement

ive sent the qpark and the daa an email asking that they introduce a steep per day charge for these chargers, outlining the problem of hogging that is common when there is no charge for parking at a charger when not charging.
    I pointed out that this could be an additional revenue stream for them and that they could have it as an extra €10 or so oer day payable at the time of booking. So you could book your place on the charger if you feel you need it but would have to pay a lot for extended use.
    I also pointed out to them that they should have a bank of parking soace with 3 pin plugs for EVs that they could charge extra for too. That might get more charging spaces available.

I think you are right too that any public charger should charge double for the parking space.

All this is under the assumption that charging and parking is free which I seriously doubt. So if someone is paying for the parking then they are entitled to stay as long as they paid for.

O.K I got confirmation on Facebook that the parking is not free for electric cars at Dublin Airport so heliguyheliguy, use the charge points if you're paying for it and don't worry about it.

yqtwqxqm, I can only imagine the laughter when someone from the DAA reads your e-mail ! :D

O.K I got confirmation on Facebook that the parking is not free for electric cars at Dublin Airport so heliguyheliguy, use the charge points if you're paying for it and don't worry about it.

yqtwqxqm, I can only imagine the laughter when someone from the DAA reads your e-mail ! :D

What made you think parking would ever be free in Dublin airport? No chance in hell of that ever happening, ev or not.
    Are you talking about long stay or short stay there?
    I would imagine hogging the charger definitely would never be a problem in the short stay with the charge ticking up per hour.

Its in the long stay where i see chargers being hogged.

I got a reply today from qpark today saying that they are installing more chargers for evs and that they already have plans in place for charging per day on the charger on top of the daily parking fee. So thats good news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm confused.

This is a long term car park.

What is your suggestion here? If someone is parking long term, they shouldn't block the charger. Because if they do, then someone else coming in to park long term can't block it themselves?

The car park people should extend their valet service to include plugging in the car.

Otherwise the only way to use the SCPs while parked long term is to block the charger long term, which is not ideal but unavoidable.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I'm confused.

This is a long term car park.

What is your suggestion here? If someone is parking long term, they shouldn't block the charger. Because if they do, then someone else coming in to park long term can't block it themselves?

The car park people should extend their valet service to include plugging in the car.

Otherwise the only way to use the SCPs while parked long term is to block the charger long term, which is not ideal but unavoidable.

Exactly, and you're paying for the parking space so I don't see why paying for the electricity is so important !!! But it's cheap anyway so who cares.

Public charge points are a completely different matter.

The Airport charge points are for travellers anyway and not for short term visitors , this is what the fast chargers are for. So it's up to the DAA to install more.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

Sounds like a DAA Problem so why are people squabbling with each other!

I park in the airport practically every second week. FWIW had an emergency recently and had to park in short term for long period, emailed them from abroad and they gave me the "long term in short term" rate, probably because I was a regular but they were open to reason so worth asking!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement