Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dispose of laptops/desktop - N County Dublin

Options
  • 09-04-2016 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I have 3 laptops and 1 desktop I need to get rid of.

Was wondering if people can help me by suggesting who I can donate/recycle these computers to?

I need them to be collected as well, and I don't mind paying a small fee either.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

http://camara.org/give-computers/

Be aware of data on the disks - they will destroy it for a fee if you want; however I just have a stack of every HDD I've ever owned in a cupboard...

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭afterhours

Unfortunately, they don't collect.

And they are situated in Chapelizod.

If anyone hears of anything to dispose of these, let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

afterhours wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I have 3 laptops and 1 desktop I need to get rid of.

Was wondering if people can help me by suggesting who I can donate/recycle these computers to?

I need them to be collected as well, and I don't mind paying a small fee either.

Thanks for any help!

Fingal County Council organise a free WEEE day on a Saturday in most towns in the County once a year - you should check out their website. In 2015 it was at the end of July. I have not seen details for this collection yet. You will have to bring the items to the collection point yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Hope op doesnt mind me sort of hijacking this. Anyone recommend where I can get a laptop upgraded around NCD or is it worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

The Computer Factory at Pinnock Hill is excellent Leo,have used them many times,they have saved me on a number of occasions,especially once with a hard drive full of family photo's ..hence the old It saying ... anything you hav't backed up at least 3 times ,you obviously don't care about ...ahyhoo the link here ... https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjixJ-__JLMAhVLPRQKHeNBB9wQFggbMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FComputer-Factory-525205574257095%2F&usg=AFQjCNGZKgoxxtbz-jTB0KoOV9thqHU4pg&bvm=bv.119745492,d.d24

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

afterhours wrote: »

If I were you I'd be donating the HD's from each machine to the underside of a large sledge hammer, multiple times, then gathering up all the remains and setting them in a bucket of concrete, and burying it in my back garden, or a burial at sea!

Don't ever take the chances with HD's in computers you send for recycling.

I read once about a guy in the UK who recycled a laptop, to only have a reporter knock on his door months later and tell the guy his bank details, credit card numbers, and provide a list of pretty much every transaction he made online in the last 5 years!! all sourced from Nigeria where the recycled laptops had been sent to help under privileged schools etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

If you like, you can drop the computers into the Parish Office in Balbriggan (beside SS Peter and PAul's Church) and they will bring them to CAMARA for you. There's no charge

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭afterhours

If I were you I'd be donating the HD's from each machine to the underside of a large sledge hammer, multiple times, then gathering up all the remains and setting them in a bucket of concrete, and burying it in my back garden, or a burial at sea!

Don't ever take the chances with HD's in computers you send for recycling.

I read once about a guy in the UK who recycled a laptop, to only have a reporter knock on his door months later and tell the guy his bank details, credit card numbers, and provide a list of pretty much every transaction he made online in the last 5 years!! all sourced from Nigeria where the recycled laptops had been sent to help under privileged schools etc..

Thanks for that, I am pretty computer savvy and know about this, but for anyone who doesn't know, listen to this guy!

Advertisement