Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harassment by dodgy plumber for large amounts money for very poor work

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

He can wire the 3 wires into the shower, but he cannot wire it back to the fuseboard or go near it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

cars14 wrote: »
    .......Before they started they orally agreed on 3000 euro for materials which she paid and 80 euro per day for labour.....

I am just wondering what the legal situation is here .i.e. Could they claim that they are casual employees of herself (because they are paid by the day) and hence have limited responsibility compared to a contractor?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

cars14 wrote: »
    My sister had a 'Plumber' and his 'employee?' working on our bathroom. Before they started they orally agreed on 3000 euro for materials which she paid and 80 euro per day for labour.
    After very doing poor work he looked for an additonal 5000.

He wouldn't accept the bank draft for 3000 euro she was giving him and would only take cash. Then he wouldn't provide a receipt. Now he wants 5000 euro more.

The work is very poor.
    He was wiring a shower but turned out not to have any wiring/electricians qualifications.
    He cut the floor tiles and put them on the walls. I fear they may fall off.
    I don't know if the plumbing is correctly done.
    He said two people could not be using the two showers at the same time due to a new law.
    He hasn't finished the job.

We feel harassed. The guy he has working with him had a Limerick accent and twirling a drill in my direction when I asked for receipts. He rung my sister this morning.

What do you suggest we do?
    Isn't it a jailing offence for unqualified trades men to touch wiring?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

I would assume that installing a shower is not minor work. But I was only making the point that small works can be done by a handyman type.

Would be interested to know if installing a shower or shower pump is "minor".

I dont think the new shower is a minor job because it requires the fitting of a 'protective device' to the distribution board which is classified as 'restricted' and not allowed.

Minor electrical works includes the replacement of an electrical accessory such as a light switch, the replacement or relocation of a light fitting where the existing circuit is retained, the provision of an additional socket to an existing radial circuit, or electrical works which do not require the issuance of a completion certificate under section 9D of the Act.

I presume you (or a plumber) can replace an existing shower unit that has already been wired as this would come under the heading of 'replacement of an electrical accessory' and would therefore be a minor electrical work.

Advertisement