Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Morning sickness!

Options
  • 09-04-2016 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

So I am 9 weeks today and I had my first morning sickness, have been feeling nauseous for a while but today was the first time I got sick. Only thing is, I got sick about 45 mins after I took a pregnacare tablet, what do you think? Should I take another one? I'd say it all came out with the sick :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

sinead81 wrote: »
    So I am 9 weeks today and I had my first morning sickness, have been feeling nauseous for a while but today was the first time I got sick. Only thing is, I got sick about 45 mins after I took a pregnacare tablet, what do you think? Should I take another one? I'd say it all came out with the sick :(

They can be quite heavy. Always take them after a meal.

Try have some ginger also. Settles the stomach x

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Some say it's all day sickness ! Get well soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

No, don't take another one. It's just vitamins so nothing to be worried about. If it was an antibiotic or something then you'd consult your doc and ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I take the pregnacare at night. I think a lot of people find them harsh on the stomach

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭sinead81

January wrote: »
    No, don't take another one. It's just vitamins so nothing to be worried about. If it was an antibiotic or something then you'd consult your doc and ask them.

But even with the folic acid? That's why I am paranoid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

A day or two folic acid missed wouldn't make any difference don't panic x

A day or two folic acid missed wouldn't make any difference don't panic x

Great thanks, will start back on them in the morning x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Is pregnacare one of the ones you are supposed to take with your main meal of the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Technically yes, but I just took it whenever I remembered it and never had any problems. I have a total iron stomach though.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Found pregnacare awful, didn't matter what time of the day or night I took, it made the nausea and vomiting worse. I switched to just folic acid and omega 3 tablets. (I was still sick until 24 weeks but definitely better without pregnacare)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭appledrop

I suffered from severe sickness in first trimester + my consultant told me to stay away from pregnancare as it can definitely make your sickness worse. As she said the baby will take all the nutrients from you it needs so no need for extra vitamins. I just took standard folic acid tablets instead.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I started getting sick when I was 8 weeks, mainly at night and I was sick a few times every night for nearly a week. I was taking pregnacare then too, and read in a few forums that it was quite harsh, so I stopped taking it and just stuck to folic acid on its own for a couple of weeks. I couldn't swallow a pregnacare anyway as it was too big and made me gag. I changed brands a while later and got a Seven Seas one for pregnant women in Boots. Its a lot cheaper, and basically has the exact same thing, including some ginger! I haven't been sick since then (I'm 28 weeks now). I also got those pressure bands for my wrists that help with motion sickness and I swear by them. After about a day of wearing them I stopped being sick, just had the nausea, which eventually went too!

If you go off the pregnacare, just start taking the folic acid on its own for a bit and when you feel better maybe just switch brands.

How do you managed with the "fear" around morning sickness. I haven't been sick yet but have felt a bit queasy and it's magnified if I'm in a meeting at work, or on the bus. I'm more panicking rather than being genuinely sick I think :(

I got my first spout of "morning sickness" last night.

It has carried through to today. Woke early this morning feeling like I had a mixture of heart burn and nausea with a side of dizzy. Can't even look at food.

Anyone any tips? I've heard anti- sickness bands (sea sick bands) can help.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Ginger or tuc biscuit worked for me. I used to get a can of ginger ale in the shop beside my office and I'd be sipping away at it until lunchtime. It was the only way I managed not to spend the entire morning with my head down the loo. The only thing to watch with ginger ale is it's usually full of sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Not letting myself get too hungry worked for me - I kept nibbling away on crackers or sucked on sour sweets which seemed to help too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Eating a cracker before getting out of bed helped on my first pregnancy too. ( not even hospitalisation helped on this one!) small bits of food, little and often. Stress and anxiety and rushing in the morning def made it worse so I woke earlier to give myself more time. I also didn't eat anything fruit wise before 3pm.

Thanks girls. Today was tough. I've come home from work early. I keep feeling nauseous and light headed every time I stood up. I tried ginger nut biscuits and nibbled on some cream crackers but 3pm I just threw up so said it was best to make an escape. Chemist said to try peppermint so sucking on some mints here and bought some peppermint tea bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Gin gins sweets for nighttime, seabands are amazing but make sure you've them on right and the Yogi tea ginger tea :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Constant light snacking worked best for me. Could not keep down any large (read: normal sized) meal, and felt nauseous when hungry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

New to this forum. Had first early scan today. Great relief to see a little head with arms moving and jumping about at 11 weeks.
    Morning sickness has turned out to be all day unpleasant nausea rather than actual sickness. I don't enjoy it, but must admit I've had friends who've had it much worse. In the last week it's turned into a blocked up throat unable to swallow freely kind of feeling and find myself burping all the time, it's disgusting.
    As for food, mostly have found myself turned off by the smell of foods that I'm not supposed to have. Aversion to coffee, pork, coriander, as well. Also refill fresh water to drink regularly as the thought of old water grosses me out.

Finally got some sea sick bands this morning, and have to say, they are working so far. The light headiness and feeling of swaying when I walk is greatly improved and the edge is gone of the nausea. Still have little sick feeling but not nearly as bad :)

stickybean wrote: »
    Finally got some sea sick bands this morning, and have to say, they are working so far. The light headiness and feeling of swaying when I walk is greatly improved and the edge is gone of the nausea. Still have little sick feeling but not nearly as bad :)

How do you know exactly where to locate them. I'm struggling to know I have them 100% right

Beanybabog wrote: »
    How do you know exactly where to locate them. I'm struggling to know I have them 100% right

I measure three fingers down from the end of my hand, if that makes sense?

They have ridden up a little

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

stickybean wrote: »

I'm sure they worked for me! I wore them for a few weeks after too, just in case. At the start I wore them in bed too as I was sick a lot at night so I was afraid to take them off! My friend recommended them to me & I am so glad she did! I think I used to wear the, when I was a kid for car sickness! 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Pregnacare made me sick on the last pregnancy. Never vomited on a day I didn't take them. Luckily I only took them for four days. This time I've only vomited once and it was on a day I took two panadol. Might be coincidence but Im avoiding all tablets if possible now.

As much sleep and fresh air as possible definitely helps the nausea. I feel worst in the evenings when Im tired so I try to eat as much as possible early in the day.

Eating a packet of salt and vinegar taytos before meals helps settle my stomach. Fizzy drinks too. Cold food is best, especially smoothies. Less food smell. Bowls of cereal with cold milk go down well too. Toast and banana has been dinner many nights.

Fizzy drinks! I was feeling guilty glad I'm not the only one. There's a reason we were reared on 7up when sick - I'm convinced it cures me When I'm having a bad day

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Molly1983

Beanybabog wrote: »
    Fizzy drinks! I was feeling guilty glad I'm not the only one. There's a reason we were reared on 7up when sick - I'm convinced it cures me When I'm having a bad day

I found sparkling water and lemons really helped me when I was feeling queasy. Also sucking on lollipops helped too

I find a glass of club lemon first thing in the morning (diet) and a cracker helps the queasiness and that awful wretching feeling. I am gone off coffee big time, and I lived for my first coffee every morning! Funny how your tastebuds change

• Advertisement

I went off tea & coffee at the start. I would normally only drink one of each a day, but couldn't stand it for ages. Now I'm drinking decaf coffee but not everyday and I am still not that mad about tea!

Advertisement