Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish tank

Options
  • 09-04-2016 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi everyone, I've just moved into a new rental property and the previous tenant left a fish tank with 2 fish inside. We advised the landlord who said the fish would be picked up that week, 6 weeks later we still have the fish. They look like goldfish but with a mermaid like tail and are quiet small. Only two left in the tank which is quiet large. I feed them and actually enjoy them. However I know the tank needs to be cleaned which I don't have a clue how to do. Also today I noticed something like a tick or something attaching itself to the glass of the tank in numerous places.

Any advice on how to care for these two orphans?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Hi everyone, I've just moved into a new rental property and the previous tenant left a fish tank with 2 fish inside. We advised the landlord who said the fish would be picked up that week, 6 weeks later we still have the fish. They look like goldfish but with a mermaid like tail and are quiet small. Only two left in the tank which is quiet large. I feed them and actually enjoy them. However I know the tank needs to be cleaned which I don't have a clue how to do. Also today I noticed something like a tick or something attaching itself to the glass of the tank in numerous places.

Any advice on how to care for these two orphans?

Is there a filter in the tank? These tick things, can you get a picture? Could they be pleco fish? The first thing you could do is go to the pet shop & get a gravel syphon & some water dechlorinator. Not expensive. Then using the syphon remove some of the tank water - about 20% & then treat the same amount of tap water with the dechlorinator & add back to the tank. There is a fish section here if you look at the top of this page.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Epicbutterfly

Knine wrote: »
    Is there a filter in the tank? These tick things, can you get a picture? Could they be pleco fish? The first thing you could do is go to the pet shop & get a gravel syphon & some water dechlorinator. Not expensive. Then using the syphon remove some of the tank water - about 20% & then treat the same amount of tap water with the dechlorinator & add back to the tank. There is a fish section here if you look at the top of this page.

I have pictures just don't know how to add them to
    Post. I would hate to see them die. The tank had a light and filter that are working but extremely loud noise when turned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I have pictures just don't know how to add them to
    Post. I would hate to see them die. The tank had a light and filter that are working but extremely loud noise when turned on.

The filter has to be turned on all the time otherwise the bacteria will die. It is this bacteria that keeps the water healthy. The filter can be cleaned out by taking the pads out of it & cleaning them in some tank water & then put them back in. If it is all clogged up that would explain the noise

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Thread moved to aquariums sub-forum.
    Good luck op :)
    DBB

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Sorry, I see the op has started a thread here. Closing this thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement