Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monster Hunter Boardsie Caravan Ultimate Generations X G

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Waited for argos to open. Their system as fudged. Took a while, but they had it! One copy only!!! Need food buff for myself now and off I go!

Have been checking their site this morning and noticed the missing price on the listing. Presume you had to ask at the counter?
    Might take a trip down so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Mine downloaded overnight, but won't have much time to play it over the weekend until maybe Sunday evening, to be honest! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Have been checking their site this morning and noticed the missing price on the listing. Presume you had to ask at the counter?
    Might take a trip down so.

Yeah, was same. Thats why there was issue. She could not find it too. So I went on website on my phone and gave her number. She found one copy!
    Website is fudged, but in their shop terminals show it. I dont think there are many copies around today, so I would go get it now or bend over to gamestop.

Anyway, I bought some food, had breakfast, game is inside. Going upstairs, plugging in hdd to TV with movies and I am not getting off that bed unless I am hungry. :)

Just back from Argos and they had none in stock - one due in today so she reserved it for me. There was a gigantic Argos truck driving in as I left so bet it's on that. I could see on her screen that most stores around the country only got a single copy in which is a bit miserable.
    Priced at €48.99 versus €54.99 in Gamestop. Will go back down later whenever I get the text, no bother as it will give me some more time with The Witcher 3. :D

So.... Played so far only 6h35min. Just did urgent and opened up 3star qs. Loving it so far, but there are few things o can't get grasp of yet.

So I decided to go for Lance. Started as adept style, but I just can't get those counters work. I watched a few videos amd they look straight forward, but I just can't. Can't execute arts too.
    I switched to aerial style and now I can atheist use it.
    I need to read and watch more about adept styles and arts. I just can't get them work.

The start of the game is so damn dragging. A lot of **** peddling quests and no bog monsters to hunt. They try to to make it easier for mew comers, but for someone who played it's share of MH games it's just fecking annoying.
    Another one bit that's is just pure out annoying: talking to everyone. You know how you needed to talk with villagers after urgent quests? So now you need to talk about 10 more times then in mh4. I never skipped dialog in mh4, but now I just roll through it.

Other then that - its monster hunter. You loved mh4? Well, you be in love again. :)

• Advertisement

Just got my copy before the store closed. Said they have a new catalogue coming out tomorrow so maybe that was why the website listing was borked.

I see StarLord managed to get some time in before Sunday. ;)

Well, I am back to work today and I played mhx for 9h35min yesterday. :) Hopefully I'll be able to play a bit tonight after work.

All in all loving it. New effects are satisfying and makes it feel like you are hitting a monster. Though locked frame rate is a bit annoying and I am one of those pricks who do notice it.
    Now is it me, or mhx feels more wobbly then mh4. In mh4 it felt really tight and precise, where in new one it feels a bit more flimsy if it makes any sense. Could be just me.
    Another thing I noticed that they dialed down armour and damage values a lot. Its not more in thousands and stuff. Damage values kind of all in line with all weapons.
    Weapon upgrade system a bit weird. Not sure I like it or not yet. Will need a lot more time to see it properly. Just looks like upgrade trees all over the place.

Good thing is, that I finally hunting some proper monsters. Still will need to go back and clean up all the crapy 2 star quests. They feel like a massive filler just to make game longer. Can't wait to get to those higher levels where all of that crap is gone.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Just got my copy before the store closed. Said they have a new catalogue coming out tomorrow so maybe that was why the website listing was borked.

I see StarLord managed to get some time in before Sunday. ;)

Just two gather quests last night to start it off... :/

Okay, I had a chance to play a very little bit last night and one thing just infuriating.
    I killed arzuros. To complete quest it took me about 10 minutes. After that it took me about 25 minutes running around 4 villages and talking to everyone. To make it even worse, when I left one village after talking to everyone, there new speech bubbles poped up, i went back and talked to another 3 villagers, then went back to original village to see more speech bubbles pop up, rinse and repeat 3 times.
    After all these shenanigans my 2 star quests filled up to 4 pages with crapy delivery and killing small monsters quests.
    At this point it's just annoying. Looks like I will need to suck it up and do all of them. On top of that I have no interest doing Any feline hunting, but you need to do a chain of quests with feline to unlock very important trading recourse...
    Love the game, but they are taking a piss with whole villagers and quests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Star Lord wrote: »

If it comes to that, Nintendo support can move your purchases to a new 3DS though. They just need your serial number details etc

I cannot stress this enough : they can move a purchase. They cannot move your game. So you can, within 24 hrs (more like 2 to 4!) be playing the game again but not YOUR game. The save is gone and there's no meaningful way to back it up. For games like Monster Hunter, Pokemon, hell even Animal Crossing, games where staring over is like trying to move on to a new puppy or pair of slippers or - in the case of MH - high a maintenance girlfriend who is wild after a couple of Bacardi's but Christ does she go on about mushrooms and seasoning, until they have some sort of cloud sync in place go physical. The break is too emotional, the hill to steep to want to climb again. At least if you lose your save data you'll have lost your cart so it will have been partially under your own control.

• Advertisement

Banjo wrote: »
    At least if you lose your save data you'll have lost your cart so it will have been partially under your own control.

I think a lot of games save to the SD card, rather than to the cart itself, so not sure if that'll work under all circumstances either!

Not found a single cart game that doesn't let me pick up from where I left off on a different 3DS.
    But the only download game that let me do that, despite having the SD card they were saved to in my possession, was Monster Hunter 3, and that's because I had the save game backed up on my Wii U copy.

And to keep things on topic, I think the post room at work has something for me :) This time, I swear on the souls of all the G Jaggi who've needlessly died for my compulsion to restart the game, this time I'm making it to G Rank. Any suggestions of a good starting set up? (weapons, arts, whatnot)

Don't think there is a G rank in MHX from what I read? Still plenty of quests of equal difficulty apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Man, my weekend was so busy.

Shockingly when you invite a load of people to your house for a long weekend + BBQ, you're regularly pretty busy feeding them and cleaning up.

A definite flaw in my planning was having the party beginning on the launch weekend of the game release. None of us had any idea what we were doing, and what we ended up doing on the Friday was all making our characters at the same time, skipping all tutorials and text, and jumping straight into the first multiplayer harvest tour. A Great Maccau appeared, and we hacked away at it with our yellow sharpness starting weapons, which immediately dropped to red and stayed at red for the whole fight because none of us had whetstones lol.

We had 2 deaths, but we killed it. We just ran every large monster quest after that one. Tetsucabra, Gypceros, etc etc.

Always generally 2 deaths due to paper-thin defenses, but we never failed a quest.

We had a half dozen MH players in the one room, and set-ups for Street Fighter IV and V, so there was lot of people dropping in and out to play different games. I initially used a different weapon on every quest and kept my weapon usages pretty even, but as the host, I most often dropped out to do other stuff, so I ended up falling behind everyone else in gear.

Eventually when everyone else had obtained the coveted "First green sharpness" weapon, I was still rocking crappy yellow.

So I decided that maintaining one of every weapon at the start of the game was going to be way too difficult and expensive (and I'm not comfortable with the new upgrade system yet), so I decided to go all-in on one of the weapons I'm least comfortable with: Hunting Horn.

At least that way while my damage would be way behind the rest of my party, I could increase the overall party damage with my 10% and 15% attack buffs.

Also for things like the Blangonga urgent (which we all did to get to HR2), I was able to keep up the Attack Buff songs, along with a warm drink song, HG earplugs song and snowman immunity song which made everything a bit easier.

Messing around with the different styles, I felt like Adept is probably the best for me to use with Hunting Horn, since the "Double note/plays two songs" thing works in all styles (I heard it was Guild Only) and Adept's evades seem to have crazy invincibility. It's like a free Evasion+ skill at the cost of only having one hunter art and losing the HH flourish move.

I'm surprised Capcom made the starting armour 10 points in Divine Protection and 6 points in Maestro. What an oddly random combination. I really wanted to gem it up to 10 points in Maestro but the decorations weren't yet forgable at my point in the game, so we all ended up making a Jaggi/Bullfango mix where we just choose the highest attack power per piece. I'm a little disappointed I'm back wearing Jaggi armour again though, this is my third or fourth character starting off that way?

Bone Armour is tempting for those Maestro and Slugger skills...

I'm loving that cats make everything better on this file. The Transpurrter in the start areas is my new favourite NPC, and bringing Prowlers on gathering quests is godlike.

They don't require you to bring or prepare ANY items. Are immune to hot/cold areas, have infinite stamina/pickaxes/bugnets, 9 lives, the potential to be invincible via burrowing, and some neat gimmicks in their hunter arts I haven't really figured out yet. One of the ones I enjoy using throws a boomerang that steals a random item from whatever monster it hits.

All they need is some kind of farcaster skill and they'd be literally perfect.

As tempting as it might be to look up a prowler guide, I'm going to mess around with them myself and figure out what I think the best skills are.

I feel like the internet always comes to 100% consensus on the "Absolute best thing" 10 minutes after a game came out and everybody just endlessly copies it and tells anyone who asks to do the same. If I listened to them I would have been running Stamina cats for all of 4U, instead of my favourite item-grabbing/tail cutting Stealing cats.

Overall I felt like I had not gotten the chance to play much MH over the weekend, but looking at my file I'm apparently already 15 hours in?

I'm thinking about stalling my quest progress and trying out those optional training missions to see what kinda tutorials this game has.
    This is bull****. I am at smyths. Dude looked at me like I have 3 heads. Then goes on his pc and comes back with this:

Sorry it's not in stock yet, it's between 15-22 July!!! Wtf!!!!! I am actually furious!
    Argos does not have it on system yet properly, so I wonder if even bother.
    Only option gamestop?

Yeah, heard a lot of people saying this. Very little stock apparently. €45 from the Eshop plus a free theme definitely beats €55 from Gamestop and a kick in the balls.
    Another thing I noticed that they dialed down armour and damage values a lot. Its not more in thousands and stuff. Damage values kind of all in line with all weapons.

I wanted to draw attention to this immediately because this is important.

They haven't dialed down damage values, they've just stopped lying to you about the weapons attack power.

If you've ever read anything MH related anywhere around the internet, you might have heard references to "Displayed Attack" and "True Raw".

True Raw is the ACTUAL attack power of a given weapon, the reason this is even a term is that the attack power you always see in the weapon shops was "Displayed Attack", or basically, a made up number.

In past games for example, a Switch Axe and SNS might have had identical attack powers of 100, but the shop/menu would display the SA as 540 attack, and the SNS as 210 attack.

This was Capcom's way of saying to people "Hey, this Switch Axe hits harder than the Sword and Shield". Which is kinda true, an individual SA hit is likely to be stronger than a single SNS hit, but that's all down to what buttons you press more than anything else.

This was always a pain for the number crunchers, as in order to compare weapons or calculate damage, you'ld have to figure out what the Displayed Attack multiplier was, and divide down by it to get the True Raw.

Now in Generations, they've just done away with all that nonsense and are simply displaying the True Raw.

This is better and simpler for everybody, as long as you can wrap your head around the fact that even if two weapons have the same True Raw: a single hit from a Dual Blade will NOT do the same damage as a fully charged Lv.3 Great Sword attack.
    this time I'm making it to G Rank. Any suggestions of a good starting set up? (weapons, arts, whatnot)

Yeah as Andrew said, this game doesn't have a G-rank. Only the ultimate games do. I hear there's no shortage of content in this though, so I wouldn't worry about it.

With regard to set recommendations: I'm afraid we're all in the same starting boat, I have no damn idea.

Okay, today I have time to play. I just do clean up 2 star crap. Did feline 2 star qs too. Its just rubbish at this point. I really don't understand why they added this crap.
    So I am playing for hours amd lost barely going Down. :(
    I found even worse quests then egg delivery... Freaking fishing. Just spend am hour and abandoned twice quest now.
    I just can't catch a single fecking fish for quest. I used different baits and I am able to get it hooked, but in that mini game it always fails on me!!!! Online says just mash A button and I am hammering it like crazy, but fish always runs away at 1-2 bars left. I am actually super frustrated. :(

Freaking fishing.

I haven't fished yet in Gen, but the two best tips I can give you from 4U

(1) To win the "big fish" minigame, mash the A button while spinning the circle pad. This mechanic seems to work like mashing out of stun in street fighter. It doesn't matter what you press, just that you have a certain amount of inputs in a certain amount of time.

I would regularly fish in Dundorma while watching films, and succeed 100% of the time based purely on sound, without ever looking at the screen.

(2) If you're trying to catch a specific fish and you know what it looks like (For example, Spear Tuna look like giant swordfish), simply bring some kind of bait with you (for example, goldenfish bait). It doesn't matter what kind of bait.

Press A to use your infinity worms and have the fish start moving towards you, if you see the fish you want is not there, cancel your worm, and press Y to throw in your bait. Now the water will only be populated by fish corresponding to the bait (in this example, goldenfish). Immediately remove your bait before anything bites, and throw a worm in again.

Now the pond is repopulated with a random assortment of fish.

Rinse and repeat until you SEE the one you want to catch (like a giant swordfish) and try to catch that fish.

Also since you (thank christ) have an infinite amount of worms, don't be shy about NOT reeling in if the wrong fish bites the bait. Just let it eat the worm and move on until you've got the correct fish on the line.

I haven't fished yet in Gen, but the two best tips I can give you from 4U

(1) To win the "big fish" minigame, mash the A button while spinning the circle pad. This mechanic seems to work like mashing out of stun in street fighter. It doesn't matter what you press, just that you have a certain amount of inputs in a certain amount of time.

I would regularly fish in Dundorma while watching films, and succeed 100% of the time based purely on sound, without ever looking at the screen.

(2) If you're trying to catch a specific fish and you know what it looks like (For example, Spear Tuna look like giant swordfish), simply bring some kind of bait with you (for example, goldenfish bait). It doesn't matter what kind of bait.

Press A to use your infinity worms and have the fish start moving towards you, if you see the fish you want is not there, cancel your worm, and press Y to throw in your bait. Now the water will only be populated by fish corresponding to the bait (in this example, goldenfish). Immediately remove your bait before anything bites, and throw a worm in again.

Now the pond is repopulated with a random assortment of fish.

Rinse and repeat until you SEE the one you want to catch (like a giant swordfish) and try to catch that fish.

Also since you (thank christ) have an infinite amount of worms, don't be shy about NOT reeling in if the wrong fish bites the bait. Just let it eat the worm and move on until you've got the correct fish on the line.

I need specific fish amd there is no bait for it. At least as far as Internet says.
    So you need actially use circle pad too?! Oh ffs. That must be the issue I had. I was hammering A like crazy and always time out. Well, I am giving up on 2 star quests as they look like to be infinite. I clear on and get 3 more. Sick of it. I am just moving on with 3star and killing what I want.
    So far I found only one talisman from harvest tour in d. Island. They unlock a bit later so? I need at least 2 more slots to put up attack M on my jaggy set.

I need specific fish amd there is no bait for it. At least as far as Internet says.
    So you need actially use circle pad too?! Oh ffs. That must be the issue I had. I was hammering A like crazy and always time out. Well, I am giving up on 2 star quests as they look like to be infinite. I clear on and get 3 more. Sick of it. I am just moving on with 3star and killing what I want.
    So far I found only one talisman from harvest tour in d. Island. They unlock a bit later so? I need at least 2 more slots to put up attack M on my jaggy set.

LOL man, we have giant disconnects sometimes.

You need to read more carefully or I need to write more clearly

You don't need the bait for the fish you want to catch, you need ANY bait to randomly reload the fish in the pond and hope that your one shows up.

LOL man, we have giant disconnects sometimes.

You need to read more carefully or I need to write more clearly

You don't need the bait for the fish you want to catch, you need ANY bait to randomly reload the fish in the pond and hope that your one shows up.

I know that, but it works in Gen by just walking out of zone and walking in again.
    I won't be trying it again. Not soon anyway. Really got sick of all those filler quests. Will try just going for big monsters and work from there. My ocd can feck off for a bit.

I spent some time playing around in the Prowler tutorials last night.

It was a little annoying to me that they don't treat a person doing the Prolwer tutorials as someone who has ALREADY done all the other tutorials.

For example, while doing the Prowler combat mission versus the Great Maccao, the tutorial person was like:

"Let me tell you about a very valuable and powerful skill you need to know about when fighting Monsters as a prowler... Mounting! To mount a monster, do an attack while jumping off a ledge...."

And I'm just thinking "I know all this. Only tell me the cat stuff."

I know WHY they have to do this. They can't assume that everybody has played previous games, or even the current games tutorials.

At least they made the tutorials all optional stuff, but I'm still tempted to run all the palico stuff in case there are any gems in there I'm missing out on hidden behind stuff like "This is how you gather mushrooms".

If anyone wants to do the bare minimum Prowler tutorial quests to feel like they understand this new class (weapon?) I recommend trying the two combat quests: Kill a Great Maccao and Capture a Great Maccao.

"But wait!" you might hear yourself say, as I did "How can a Prowler catch a monster when they can't use items?"
    If they have it set as a skill Prowlers can use infinite-use traps when their special metre gets high enough. One of these is "Poison Purr-ison" which traps AND poisons the monster in one go
    which is pretty nuts, but I knew that already.

What I did NOT know, is that
    when you have a monster in a prowler trap, their A button boomerang attack changes to an infinite-use tranq bomb. Basically meaning that as long as you have the prowler correctly set up, you have infinite chances to catch a monster (depending on how long it takes an unused trap to despawn).

I am also unsure of when the A button changes from a boomerang to a tranq bomb. Is it when a monster is in a trap, or is it when a CAPPABLE monster is in a trap? Do Prowlers instinctively have a form of capture guru on top of all their other native skills?

They are a much more interesting addition to the game than I thought they'd be.
    I know that, but it works in Gen by just walking out of zone and walking in again.
    I won't be trying it again. Not soon anyway. Really got sick of all those filler quests. Will try just going for big monsters and work from there. My ocd can feck off for a bit.

Walking in and out of a zone has always worked as well afaik, but the switchy bait trick is just a lot faster and less concentration intensive.

I imagine you'ld find it more managable polishing off these fishing quests while watching something with the missus and bait switching, rather than actively having to run in and out of the area all the time.

• Advertisement

every time he goes near his missus when there's Monster Hunting to be done he ends up throwing one into her to get her to leave, if he follows your method he's going to need to buy a Partridge Family bus by the time MH 6 rolls along.

Played a little more with the missus. We polished up all the HR1+2 Prowler only quests, and also jumped into the Prowler arena to fight the Great Maccao to see what the pre-loaded arena Prowlers are like.

I don't really have any strong opinions on any of it. Prowlers definitely have some cool unique things about them, but despite skimming one or two guides, I still don't really understand their skill system.

One thing I especially like is the "Plunderang", which is the default skill on gathering palicos.

It costs 4 bars of super, and makes the Prowler throw a single boomerang that seems to have little paws sticking out of it.

If it hits a monster (large or small) and returns to the Prowler, a red shiny spawns that anyone can loot. This red shiny will be called "{Monster Name} Item" and at the end of the quest is appraised into a random item from the "Carve" loot table.

So on a "Kill 15 Rhenoplos" quest, I plunderanged 4 of them over the course of it, at the end of the quest, those 4 Rhenoplos Items turned into 1 Rheno shell and 3 Raw Meats.

It's especially nice though if you're running multiple Plunderang Prowlers on a Gathering quest, and a large monster appears that you're not arsed to fight.

Every plunderang spawns a red shiny, and everyone can loot every shiny one time each, so while myself and herself were doing a gathering quest, an Arzuros showed up.

We both plunderanged it, both got two carves, and then went and ended the gathering quest.

Two carves each for no effort isn't two shabby, especially since KILLING a monster usually rewards three.

Overall though I'm not really sure I have an opinion on generations so far.

I think I agree with Shadowhearth that the pacing is a bit too slow for my liking. I'm nearly 20 hours in and I feel like I've done nothing important.

Kicked off last night. Jesus it is slow. I'm still on 1-star town quests, and it's just drudge, drudge,drudge. I mean, they all start this way but there isn't even any real sense of purpose or narrative. I know they're tutorial quests to get you used to resource gathering before you get stuck into the real hunting because I've done this before, but if I hadn't there's no guidance in-quest. Did they think 3 and 4 weren't quite alienating enough?

Also, why do I have to walk so far to get honey? Where's my convenient mushy, herb and honey pickups in the first area? God damn you Capcom!

So I went switch-axe, because I'm a creature of habit. Something isn't right. I keep breaking my attack chains by pressing A and it feels like that shouldn't be happening. It irked me. I was very irked. So I forged a Long Sword, and something's not right. I'm not getting my awesome samurai slashy-slashy-sheath. And I'm still just picking up mushrooms and bugs and herbs. And it's been ages and I have to go to bed soon.

God damn it, MH. You are a cold mistress.

Hurray! Palicoes! Wait, there's still no big monster and beating that quest didn't unlock an Urgent. And it's after bed time. Mother of Kazan!

I woke up this morning and noticed MH4 sitting on my locker. I'm sorely tempted to go back and give Shiggy-Mags another bash rather than push through this sludge...

That's the thing, MH4 did have gather quests, but didn't feel like there were quite as many right at the start, so it had a bit of story drive to it too, giving a sense of urgency to get you going. MHG doesn't, at least so far...

I am on 4 stars now and finally picked up on big monster department. Still a good few crappy gathering quests, but not as bad. I gave up on all that crap and just going for stuff that is cool.
    upgrade system of weapons is starting to get annoying, trees spread like crazy and I have already made 3 iron Lances qnd upgrading them. I don't want to check wiki as it ruined it for me in mh4. I was focus hunting for stuff amd not just discovering.

Played a bit more prowler to unlock honey. Done that, so will be back to it later.
    One thing I kind of do like is new prowler hunting game. I thinks it's more fun and actually gives nice rewards. Q lot more micro management now with whole resting, training, hunting, but I like it.

So so far I am using a mix set of bulldrome and jaggy mix set with Hidden stinger. Rocking attack L skill.
    Getting better at blocking, so might finally learn adept style.

By the way, is it better doing harvest tours in prowler? Large inventory. No need for tools? Or I am missing something.

I am on 4 stars now and finally picked up on big monster department. Still a good few crappy gathering quests, but not as bad. I gave up on all that crap and just going for stuff that is cool.
    upgrade system of weapons is starting to get annoying, trees spread like crazy and I have already made 3 iron Lances qnd upgrading them. I don't want to check wiki as it ruined it for me in mh4. I was focus hunting for stuff amd not just discovering.

I've only just finished all the 1* quests and am mopping up the 2*, not even unlocked 3* so you're miles ahead of me.

The weapon upgrade system kind of annoys me too. My other half made herself some Gypercos dual blades, but doesn't remember which weapon she upgraded to get them.

I want to make them too, but I am in 100% the same boat as you, I both don't want to look stuff up on the wiki incase of spoilers, and don't want to waste my time upgrading the wrong weapon.

To be fair to this game though, I thought it was pretty stupid in 4U how Gravios weapons weren't forgable, only upgradable from Nerscylla weapons (which is not an intuitive path)

Not to mention Brachydios weapons were super random in how you obtained them, I know the SNS was upgraded from a Rathalos weapon, but I think every other one was upgraded from a different monster.
    Played a bit more prowler to unlock honey. Done that, so will be back to it later.
    One thing I kind of do like is new prowler hunting game. I thinks it's more fun and actually gives nice rewards. Q lot more micro management now with whole resting, training, hunting, but I like it.

Whatever gets me the best stats on things is all I care about. I like the new Meownster Hunter mini-game only due to the fact that it's fast to get over and done with. The old one could take a while, especially if you were like me, and just trying to snipe some good scraps from the Elder dragons
    So so far I am using a mix set of bulldrome and jaggy mix set with Hidden stinger. Rocking attack L skill.
    Getting better at blocking, so might finally learn adept style.

Me too with the bulldrome Jaggi mix. I initially was wearing the Jaggi Helm, but it made me so sad to look the same AGAIN, that I changed to the Bulldrome Gunner Cap to get a sweet pair of monster horns on my head.

Now I look like a badass viking, so I don't care if my defense is lower.

Attack Up L and Gathering+1 is my set atm, which is hilariously similar to the set I was running on my 4U alt gunner for so long.
    By the way, is it better doing harvest tours in prowler? Large inventory. No need for tools? Or I am missing something.

I'm doing every quest except large monster hunts with prowler at the moment. No need for items, infinite bugnets/pickaxes/stamina as well as autotracker to avoid large monsters. And if I'm feeling cheeky I can sneak up on them and Plunderang a free carve too.

I just kitted my prowler out in full Centaur gear, because that weapon has the highest attack power out of what I have unlocked.

Can you do egg delivery quests with prowler?

Anyway, played q good bit yesterday.

Was doing some random 2-4 star quests just to have them out of the way, but the more I do them, theore villagers throw quest at me. Its like never ending story....
    At the same time I did more 4 big monster quests and finally got to 5star.

So few things: Fecking Garuga is on mhx too... That's one monster I never wanted to see. Its as nasty as always. Killed it and aerial lance did the trick.
    Killed my first Mizutsune too. Love design of this one. Fun fight, but not very hard. Definitely not a fecking "oh my God, moggy! Stop twisting my nappies off!" job from mh4.

As always, getting tons of new sets yoked, but all useless compared to lovely mix set I am rocking. I do finally unlocking some rank 2 weapons. Sick of running with iron lance.

I'd also be interested in the prowler / egg quest thing. If I get a chance I'll give it a go. But wouldn't you drop the egg if you tried to run since he runs on all fours?

After 3 or 4 unsuccessful runs at the 1-star Immortal Bug quest, eating up Old Nets by the fist-ful and spending hours wandering around unsuccessfully looking for crafting materials before giving up and taking the Subquest finish, I finally copped on and ran it as Puss In Boots. Unlimited nets. HURRAH! That's good leché! And then I get 3 immortal bugs in 4 goes in the first area. God Damn You, Capcom!

At last, a monster hunt. The Great Maccao (sp?) was a bit of fun with default armour and weapon, given that he didn't have the default G *aggi moveset and I couldn't remember how to swing a long sword. Urge to hunt big game... rising...!

Tried the crazy Hypno-Owl in the Arena - she's very, very silly and it took me ages with the electric SnS on offer, but that's because I'm a pussy and keep avoiding the high-risk high-damage areas in favour of nice, safe, flank stabbing.

Realised I've done my usual thing of creating a female avatar which I'll be ashamed of and will probably never take online. But I'm not doing that 1* tier again any time soon so I'm stuck with it.

In conclusion, I'll never catch y'all up. But I'm having finally having fun lagging behind :D

Did some more quests last night.

I'm basically categorising in my head: every gathering and kill small monsters as a gathering quest; and I'm only using Prowlers for those quests. I'm tempted to also classify kill miniboss quests (anything ending in drome) the same, since it's pretty easy to curbstomp Great Maccaos or Arzuros when they try to ruffle your fur.

Using this classification, I have not done a "Real" monster fight quest since like... Monday. There is just such a ridiculous high volume of gathering quests to do, and cats are such superior gatherers I'm starting to forget what my hunter even looks like....

We also did some DLC quests, and praise be to Yama Tsukami, DLC QUESTS NOW GET TICKS BESIDE THEM AFTER YOU DO THEM!!!!111

I am not sure this has ever been a thing before. Thank christ it's finally in a game.

We did the 1* star Prowler only DLC quests, because we were not brave enough to jump straight up to 3* event Glavenus (Who the game lets you fight with no pre-requisites), because it seems pretty likely he'd wreck us.

We also discovered some additional balance behind the Prowler Plunderang, which is my new favourite thing ever. I assumed the reason why they spawn things called "Arzuros item" rather than "Arzuros shell" is that people couldn't run four prowlers and just chuck boomerangs until someone gets a plate/ruby/mantle. You still have to beat the quest to get the item appraised, and you have no guarantee it will turn into a good item.

I was partially right, but the other reason is so that they can set the maximum stack size of any "____ item" to 3. We discovered this while doing a "Gather 20 Moofah fur" quest and doing drive by shootings on a wandering Arzuros.

After we hit him with our fourth plunderang, we got the message "Arzuros item at maximum" so we had to leave him alone (i.e. Kill regularly) after that.

This doesn't prevent you from going around and plunderanging other monsters on the map, but the maximum you can do the same one and get rewards for it is three.
    Can you do egg delivery quests with prowler?
    I'd also be interested in the prowler / egg quest thing. If I get a chance I'll give it a go. But wouldn't you drop the egg if you tried to run since he runs on all fours?

Prowlers are like inspiration cartoon messages guys. They can be whatever you want them to be.

The only downside is that they don't seem to be able to run while carrying eggs, but for all we know Prowler egg carrying walk speed is on par with hunter with transporter skill run speed. It's hard to tell when the camera in this game is so damn zoomed in, and super-zoomed in when you're a cat.

From totally anecdotal experience, the Jaggis I encountered on my egg delivery quest were able to keep up with me pretty easily, but I never lost an egg to them attacking. I always moved away in time. So it feels kinda like pro-transporter human running speed to me. I might be wrong though.
    After 3 or 4 unsuccessful runs at the 1-star Immortal Bug quest, eating up Old Nets by the fist-ful and spending hours wandering around unsuccessfully looking for crafting materials before giving up and taking the Subquest finish, I finally copped on and ran it as Puss In Boots. Unlimited nets. HURRAH! That's good leché! And then I get 3 immortal bugs in 4 goes in the first area. God Damn You, Capcom!

At last, a monster hunt. The Great Maccao (sp?) was a bit of fun with default armour and weapon, given that he didn't have the default G *aggi moveset and I couldn't remember how to swing a long sword. Urge to hunt big game... rising...!

Tried the crazy Hypno-Owl in the Arena - she's very, very silly and it took me ages with the electric SnS on offer, but that's because I'm a pussy and keep avoiding the high-risk high-damage areas in favour of nice, safe, flank stabbing.

Realised I've done my usual thing of creating a female avatar which I'll be ashamed of and will probably never take online. But I'm not doing that 1* tier again any time soon so I'm stuck with it.

In conclusion, I'll never catch y'all up. But I'm having finally having fun lagging behind :D

As well as having the infinite bugnets, I feel like Prowlers have passive Gathering+2 as well, since they seem to gather 5/6 times per nodes, and a regular hunter without gathering skills seems to only get 2/3.

I'm definitely enjoying the "No thought" required aspect of the prowlers. I just have an item set saved with nothing in it, and equip it before every quest.

I don't even eat because cats have infinite stamina, and I don't need extra health on top of the revival acorns they give you. I may as well save that cash for when I'm playing as a pathetic human.

Hypno-owls weapons and armour look class, I've only fought it once in multiplayer. I want that HH harp!

I haven't tried any hunter arenas yet Banjo, so respect for that. I only did some prowler ones to see what kinda loadouts they're given, and to give me cost-free previews of what all the skills do, so I can see which ones I like for my own cat.

• Advertisement

I know I am on 5 star now. I am not rushing, but last two days I had days off and my gtx 680 decided to fry on me on Wensday morning. So played mhx instead. My gtx 1060 should be delivered, so my gaming time between wow and mhx will be balanced. :) Enough time for the rest to catch up hehe.

Advertisement