Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monster Hunter Boardsie Caravan Ultimate Generations X G

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Any advice for a brand new MH player? Best why to set up from the beginning and stuff like that?

Okay, best way to approach it without a Mentor is to check out this video. ProJared did a real great video series for complete and utter noobs. It helped me A LOT to get complete basics. He did it for MH3U, but all of it translates to MH4U.

When you done with that, go check this dude for weapon tutorials. First go and play yourself and try out few weapons, then when you got a few downed as favourites go and check his tutorials. I would suggest checking all of them eventually as you might not like a weapon when you try out, but thats because you have no clue how to use it. That happened to me with Charge blade, I though it was crap until I actually watched his video and realised how incorrectly I was using it. Now its my favourite weapon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

From what I sow so far, all ranged weapons are ultimate in multilayer and really crap at solo as they are very slow to kill, bad cost efficient too. The way you talk about ranged I feel about charge blade upgrade. You only start getting decent stuff in hr. Until that you struggle and use rank 1-3 and other weapons already rank 4-5. Even now I can build good few rank 5-6 other weapons, but getting it on charge blade is struggle, but at least possible now.

In end game, ranged weapons are totally viable solo. I know some speedrun world records belong to ranged weapons. In some situations too where you want to break a difficult, high up monster part, they're often better than their blademaster alternatives.

I made some basic gunner sets on my main file once I hit HR, here's a miiverse screenshot from way back

zlCfzTcqUyILNu9ygT

That's for the Seregios bow, for the bowguns I swapped the talisman and the trousers (Lobster Pants IIRC) so I had Evade Distance instead of Focus. Not optimum but totally usable.

I replaced these with infinitely better ones once I hit G special.

My issue is that at the start of the game, gunning is completely ass and expensive.

While I'm posting old Miiverse screenshots, here is the set myself and the missus both used from HR until G3, if anybody wants to steal it.

zlCfzTcqZj8dQiL7vh

And here is a set I used pretty specifically for Blast element SNS:

zlCfzTcqMnAzE8Y6CK
    Yeah, pink rathian really got me on my toes. I just killed hr zamtrios and Seltas Queen and it was not as bad. Still good jump in difficulty, but at least I did not felt all fight like: " oh ****, oh ****, oh for **** sake, you damn future handbag from Brown Thomas!!" Rathians pretty much an icon monster for MH series. Weren't they like main monster in 1 or 2?

I think Rathian and Rathalos are the primary trademark monsters of the series. They've appeared in every single game, and were the only monsters (except Diablos) to carry over in the massive reboot between MHFU and MH Tri.
    You are now in Cork lol? And I just moved in with misses in limerick lol. I still work in North Cork though. On some day off or something we could meet up somewhere in Cork, like cafe etc. Just play some MH and drink coffee. :)
    Hope you sort out Internet, would be so great to do some online again.

Yeah hopefully we could make something work sometime. I am almost never in or near Cork city but I do pop in on the rare occasion.

Don't have high expectations of my potential future internet. I don't :(

In end game, ranged weapons are totally viable solo. I know some speedrun world records belong to ranged weapons. In some situations too where you want to break a difficult, high up monster part, they're often better than their blademaster alternatives.

I made some basic gunner sets on my main file once I hit HR, here's a miiverse screenshot from way back

zlCfzTcqUyILNu9ygT

That's for the Seregios bow, for the bowguns I swapped the talisman and the trousers (Lobster Pants IIRC) so I had Evade Distance instead of Focus. Not optimum but totally usable.

I replaced these with infinitely better ones once I hit G special.

My issue is that at the start of the game, gunning is completely ass and expensive.

While I'm posting old Miiverse screenshots, here is the set myself and the missus both used from HR until G3, if anybody wants to steal it.

zlCfzTcqZj8dQiL7vh

And here is a set I used pretty specifically for Blast element SNS:

zlCfzTcqMnAzE8Y6CK

I think Rathian and Rathalos are the primary trademark monsters of the series. They've appeared in every single game, and were the only monsters (except Diablos) to carry over in the massive reboot between MHFU and MH Tri.

Yeah hopefully we could make something work sometime. I am almost never in or near Cork city but I do pop in on the rare occasion.

Don't have high expectations of my potential future internet. I don't :(

From looking at those screenshots I do realise I need to start doing a mix of gear from different sets. I got a habit and old thing where I need to have full set due to esthetic reasons.
    Its not am issue in LR, but in hr you see gear sets which pop up with one or another item with completely random skill.

Where in County Cork you based? I work in Mallow, North Cork. It does not need to be Cork city by any means. Smaller towns would ne even better. Small pub or cafes. If you are even interested in that. Who knows maybe you ever in limerick too.

Anyway, on another not. Seregios can go and suck a bag of dicks. Got urgent quest to go to hr9 caravan. It has one mechanic which is so ****ing frustrating. I don't want to spoilt it for people, but it it just complete ass.
    I actually had a ****er to the point of capture, but wanted to throw a few punches to make sure it's there. I was full 150hp and he killed me in few seconds die to its mechanic. It was my last try and officially it's a first monster which got me 3 times fainted and made me fail a quest. I actually went straight for the fag after tossing my 3ds and flipping a finger to it... Yup, I am that mature. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Any advice for a brand new MH player? Best why to set up from the beginning and stuff like that?

I'd recommend three things :
    1. Clear 3 hours in your schedule to push through the early gathering quests and get to monsters that are big enough to earn the name. MH4 is more streamlined than MH3 was, and they do have a big epic spectacle to draw you in but it's epic in scope and scale, your own interactions are pretty naff. And then it's back to foraging. You need to get as far as the Seltas and Tetsucabra to start feeling like you kill monsters for a living.

2. Watch the ProJared and Gaijan Hunter movies. It's impossible to stress how much of your enjoyment of this game comes from your attitude towards it. MH doesn't take prisoners or suffer fools. With the exception of maybe Dual Blades and Long Blade, none of the weapons want to be your friend at the start (but by the end of the game you'll have earned eachothers' respect and be besties). These guys will help

3. Read UberPrinny Baal's evangelical MH3 thread, then start following Shadowhearth in this one. Your progression in MH is as much about improving yourself as it is improving your gear. Your fancy new blade will only do it's improved elemental damage if you can hit the bloody beast with it. When a Lagombi is flattening you or a Rathian is tapdancing on your skull and you can't seem to find an opening it's easy to lose sight of the fact that everything in the game can be beaten, and if you put the work to learn their moves, patterns and habits it WILL be beaten. And then you can come on to the thread and brag about it. And the bragging is, in a weird way, part of the game too. You just brought down a 10 storey behemoth by sitting on it's face and stabbing - you deserve some kudos! And we're here for you :D

Fecking Gore Magala is whupping me good (and repeatedly) now that he's available to hunt :( Can't seem to avoid his devilspunk pools, they're everywhere. Kind of wish this hadn't coincided with my upgrading to a Dear Lutemis, I'd hate to think it's the sword :D
    Any tips?

Banjo wrote: »
    I'd recommend three things :
    1. Clear 3 hours in your schedule to push through the early gathering quests and get to monsters that are big enough to earn the name. MH4 is more streamlined than MH3 was, and they do have a big epic spectacle to draw you in but it's epic in scope and scale, your own interactions are pretty naff. And then it's back to foraging. You need to get as far as the Seltas and Tetsucabra to start feeling like you kill monsters for a living.

2. Watch the ProJared and Gaijan Hunter movies. It's impossible to stress how much of your enjoyment of this game comes from your attitude towards it. MH doesn't take prisoners or suffer fools. With the exception of maybe Dual Blades and Long Blade, none of the weapons want to be your friend at the start (but by the end of the game you'll have earned eachothers' respect and be besties). These guys will help

3. Read UberPrinny Baal's evangelical MH3 thread, then start following Shadowhearth in this one. Your progression in MH is as much about improving yourself as it is improving your gear. Your fancy new blade will only do it's improved elemental damage if you can hit the bloody beast with it. When a Lagombi is flattening you or a Rathian is tapdancing on your skull and you can't seem to find an opening it's easy to lose sight of the fact that everything in the game can be beaten, and if you put the work to learn their moves, patterns and habits it WILL be beaten. And then you can come on to the thread and brag about it. And the bragging is, in a weird way, part of the game too. You just brought down a 10 storey behemoth by sitting on it's face and stabbing - you deserve some kudos! And we're here for you :D

Fecking Gore Magala is whupping me good (and repeatedly) now that he's available to hunt :( Can't seem to avoid his devilspunk pools, they're everywhere. Kind of wish this hadn't coincided with my upgrading to a Dear Lutemis, I'd hate to think it's the sword :D
    Any tips?

Good round of tips m8. I think we will bring some sort of rebirth to monster hunter or bring old hunters back in action. :)

Gore magala... That's a very nasty one when you meet it for first fight. If you can down it for progress, then take it and leave it for now. Its set is not great and weapons can look good for now, but upgrade paths for them are horrendous.
    Of its first fight, well, then get your balls nice amd tight now show your best performance. Use leap and mounting as much as you can. The areas you fight it are perfect for it. I always tried to get in close as possible and just go at it with sword mode. Only taking out axe when it's down. Its way too fast and unpredictable to whale on it with axe. When it's enraged and phase two, just stay the **** away unless you can do a leap attack from edges and mount it. Everything else will end you in a pool of your own urine amd blood. Been there done that.

P. ****ing S. Kicked Seregios ass and captured it while at it! Even then when I got it to capture point, he completely ****ed me.
    He just landed and I was rushing in to put trap. Full hp and all. He just did his "special" amd then just rammed me. Got pretty much one shoted. Got back after it amd captured it while it slept. **** that. So yeah, got the bastard and fainted only once. Its makes rathian look like leaping stone. In general Seregios is not bad, but it's random unpredictable way of killing you in few seconds just because **** you that's way makes whole fight very stressful. Saying this, my most satisfying hunt so far.

• Advertisement

From looking at those screenshots I do realise I need to start doing a mix of gear from different sets. I got a habit and old thing where I need to have full set due to esthetic reasons.
    Its not am issue in LR, but in hr you see gear sets which pop up with one or another item with completely random skill.

I used a program called Athenas ass to input my talismans and check for best gearsets as I went. It's handy because you can tell it how far you are in the village and the guild hall, and it will only recommend gearsets you actually have access to.

MH4U is pretty crazy in that it is technically possible to get the staple blademaster skill Sharpness+1 (a skill only available at the very endgame of Tri/3U) as early as low rank(!!!). I personally didn't bother because I don't think it's as valuable on the early crappy weapons, so I opted for the raw damage of Attack Up Large on my precious veliciprey sets, until I was able to make a mix that had both.

Ironically enough, considering how much choice MH4U gives you in it's varied skills early on, I used way less different armoursets in this game compared to 3U. I remember posting a lot about how I had a lot of different blademaster gearsets for different occasions. In this whole game I basically used three:

Low Rank to Early High Rank - Full Veliciprey gemmed for: Attack Up Large, Negate Stun, Autotracker. Basically the best starting gearset in a MH game ever.

Mid High Rank to G2 - The pictured mix set. Rathalos Cap S (w/ Attack Jewel 3), Velociprey Mail S, Tigrex Vambraces S (w/ Attack Jewel 2), Chrome Metal Coil (is just a torso up waist) and Storge Greaves with a Handicraft Jewel. This by itself gives Attack up Large and Sharpness+1 which is amazing for pure damage. I also added in an Evasion talisman and some jewels (the light blue ones) to give myself evasion+1. This set was phenomenal to have so early. My missus isn't as much of a fan as Evasion as I am, and really enjoyed her time using Veliciprey, so she modified this one to include Negate Stun instead.

G3 to eternity - Full Star Knight: Challenger+2 (Attack Up XL and Critical Eye+3 when a monster is angry), Steady Hand (Which is Mind's Eye (Attacks never bounce) + Razor Sharp (Weapons stay sharp twice as long), and Rodeo God (Mount easier, topple easier). On top of this the set also 4 points in Handicraft (Sharpness+1), 11(!!!!!!!!!!!) free slots, and 5 elemental resistance versus every element. I don't feel like it's an exaggeration to say that this might be the best full armourset in a MH game ever.

Once I was able to make this set, basically every gearset I own became some varient of Star Knight.

Anyway, on another not. Seregios can go and suck a bag of dicks. Got urgent quest to go to hr9 caravan. It has one mechanic which is so ****ing frustrating. I don't want to spoilt it for people,
    Bleed only hurts you when you run or evade. Not when you walk (It took me a while to figure this out) or crawl. It will naturally go away if you crouch for a bit. Well done steaks, portable steam bombs (love these!) and (I think) Energy drinks can get rid of it immediately.

Seregios weapons all have an interesting gimmick to them if you've seen that? All except the bow, which just had crazy ridiculous nuts attack power, and ironicially is arguably the best of all his weapons.

3. Read UberPrinny Baal's evangelical MH3 thread, then start following Shadowhearth in this one.

I didn't start the thread, I just posted an awful lot in it. Clickable link for the curious.
    Any tips?

The "devilspunk" debuff doesn't ever go away on it's own, but you can constantly reset it to zero by popping nullberries or standing in a portable steam bomb (love these!).

If you can overcome it, you get a 15% affinity boost and spunk immunity for around a minute. You overcome it by a preset amount of hits based on your weapon. I did some personal testing on these, because I initially assumed it was "Total damage inflicted" , but it's definitely just "Number of hits".

So tl;dr: If you're over 50% spunked, eat a consumable to lower your spunkatude, if you are between 0% and 50% devilspunked, lay into Gore Magala to become spunk immune.

On Seregios Baal.
    He is some ****! :D I actually did not knew if you kneel it takes off debuff. I Coped on right away that walking does not kill you, so as soon as I had debuff I would go to other area and use well done meat. Its damn expensive! I Havent checked what I can make out of it as as soon as I killed it I had to go pick up misses and kid, but I will go now check it. The thind that I can take off debuff by just sitting just made whole thing a lot easier in my head! cheers!

Well, I think I made a booboo...

As ball would say, I started using Seregios as my fast tesco check out. Killed 3 more of them and kind of nailed it now. With all mats collected I made myself a charge blade. Then I looked it up online.... Charge blade of it sucks and I wasted all mats... I'll still try it out see it in action. Might make Seregios set, which makes it better at some extent.

I just don't want to spoilt if for others, but when you get to this monster, make sure to read info on gear you make out of it, due to it being a special cast of weapons.

I wouldn't fret too much over wasted mats. Mats aren't real, I'd just worry about your own personal wasted time, and I don't really think you made that much of a boo-boo.

If we ignore for a second that all Seregios gunner weapons are amazing, the Blademaster ones are generally better the closer your ratio of average number of weapons hits to average number of evades is to 1:1

So the GS and HH benefit very well from the gimmick, but the IG, SNS, DB, LS do not. Everything else is kind of in the middle.

That said though, I was playing an "IG + CB only" file, so I did make both of them, and I thought they were fine. They're probably not the best weapons of their class, but there's a big difference in Monster Hunter between "Totally optimal" and "Actually bad".

I went on to make pretty much all of Seregios's weapons (except for SNS, DB and LS), and they definitely have their uses.

All his weapons have the pros of high raw, natural purple(!!), and his gimmick. The con is that they have no element, don't benefit from Sharpness+1 and have very short sharpness bars (Only using seregios weapons will I go from Purple to Green almost without realising).

I have some armour sets without sharpness+1, where I'm just trying to maximise attack power (Attack up XL, Challenger+2, etc), or I'm going all in on a scumbag item set (carving master, miraculous luck, partbreaker) and I don't have skill points left for damaging skills. These are the situations where Seregios weapons are great.

Incidentally so are the Nerscylla weapons: Natural purple, good sharpness length and poison element. I love her CB and IG both very much.

Regarding his armour: I don't know. I didn't make it. If you want to list the armour, all its skills, and what you think of them, I could give you my opinion on your appraisal.

.....wait did I just give homework?

I wouldn't fret too much over wasted mats. Mats aren't real, I'd just worry about your own personal wasted time, and I don't really think you made that much of a boo-boo.

If we ignore for a second that all Seregios gunner weapons are amazing, the Blademaster ones are generally better the closer your ratio of average number of weapons hits to average number of evades is to 1:1

So the GS and HH benefit very well from the gimmick, but the IG, SNS, DB, LS do not. Everything else is kind of in the middle.

That said though, I was playing an "IG + CB only" file, so I did make both of them, and I thought they were fine. They're probably not the best weapons of their class, but there's a big difference in Monster Hunter between "Totally optimal" and "Actually bad".

I went on to make pretty much all of Seregios's weapons (except for SNS, DB and LS), and they definitely have their uses.

All his weapons have the pros of high raw, natural purple(!!), and his gimmick. The con is that they have no element, don't benefit from Sharpness+1 and have very short sharpness bars (Only using seregios weapons will I go from Purple to Green almost without realising).

I have some armour sets without sharpness+1, where I'm just trying to maximise attack power (Attack up XL, Challenger+2, etc), or I'm going all in on a scumbag item set (carving master, miraculous luck, partbreaker) and I don't have skill points left for damaging skills. These are the situations where Seregios weapons are great.

Incidentally so are the Nerscylla weapons: Natural purple, good sharpness length and poison element. I love her CB and IG both very much.

Regarding his armour: I don't know. I didn't make it. If you want to list the armour, all its skills, and what you think of them, I could give you my opinion on your appraisal.

.....wait did I just give homework?

I don't have much time now, but from what I read amd sow on YouTube last night: sharpness +1 actually works on it and gives 20 instead 10 of purple. I could make ghetto set for sharpness and attack+. Need to look in to it more.
    My play sale with CB might actually work with it.

• Advertisement

I don't have much time now, but from what I read amd sow on YouTube last night: sharpness +1 actually works on it and gives 20 instead 10 of purple. I could make ghetto set for sharpness and attack+. Need to look in to it more.
    My play sale with CB might actually work with it.

Sharpness+1 definitely doesn't work with any of his weapons; are you thinking of Razor Sharp or Steady Hand (Which contains Razor Sharp)? Either of them would double your functioning sharpness (10 becomes 20), but don't add any new sharpness colour.

BTW I was wrong/didn't phrase it clearly. Seregios weapons only have purple at G rank/rare 9. At the point you make them they just have white, which I think is still pretty good at that point in the game.

Nerscylla's weapons also only have purple at G-rank/rare 9

Sharpness+1 definitely doesn't work with any of his weapons; are you thinking of Razor Sharp or Steady Hand (Which contains Razor Sharp)? Either of them would double your functioning sharpness (10 becomes 20), but don't add any new sharpness colour.

BTW I was wrong/didn't phrase it clearly. Seregios weapons only have purple at G rank/rare 9. At the point you make them they just have white, which I think is still pretty good at that point in the game.

Nerscylla's weapons also only have purple at G-rank/rare 9

Sorry m8, you are spot on. I got the whole thing mixed. Its a long day at work and I am still here. So I rushed in with last post amd did a booboo.

So right, the skill I was looking is sharpness, which gives razor sharp. ( I have to say the whole skill naming thing is a bit confusing and has double naming) it will give 20 instead of 10 sharpness. It will make quality of life with CB a lot better. I use CB as evasive and dodge setup. I rarely use shield. Most of the time o just charge it up, then looking for openings to mount monster amd then whale on it with charged up CB. So in theory, I should be able to keep up sharpness with all dodging and rolling to use mostly in charged up axe mode.

I will need to go through database of armours and try to make ghetto sharpness and attack+ setup. I don't know if I will be able to do it in next 3 days as I am on 10-11h shifts and 2h travel times on top of that. Then Sunday and Monday with misses.

Afford Seregios armour set: it's good set when it comes to g rank, but at hr it's a bit crap and won't do for what I want to try.

I guess that's the beauty off MH games, there are so many ways of trying to build up your style of play. The amount of different gear makes experiments very interesting.

Decided to give the Glaive a go, but to do so I first needed a few Nercylla bits. Compared to the first fight he's been a pussycat. Maybe it's the new charge blade, maybe it's my new Club 92 methodology (Always be mounting!) but I'm barely using my Meds now... Just chopping and riding, like a randy chef. Big thanks for all the encouragement to start using the verticals a bit more. At this rate I could probably build myself the Armour set too....

Anyway, built the Nercylla glaive only to find I can't get the materials to upgrade Kinsect, so I'm left with a slow, lumbering dung beetle hanging off my arm. And I just realised I have no idea what the controls are. Back to youtube!

On an unrelated note, if anyone knows how to get Kodi to give me screen resolution options on an Android box using the AV-out rather than HDMI (so I can't turn HDMI autodetect off!), that would free me up for more hunting and less fruitless configurating.

Razor sharp is great. It's probably my favourite Guard Lancer skill (after the obligatory Guard+2) because Guard Lancers are always safest with their weapons drawn, and any skill that minimises how much you need to sheath and sharpen is great.

You would think then that the Seregios gimmick would synergise very well with the Lance, but the devs already thought of that and nerfed how effective the gimmick is on Lance only. I still use the Lance anyway, but I'm sad about the nerf.

I'd love to knock you out a quick and dirty set with Razor Sharp (or Steady Hand) + as much points in Attack as possible Shadowhearth, but as mentioned I don't have a PC atm.

I strongly recommend you (and everybody) go here: https://www.facebook.com/AthenasArmorSetSearch/

And download the most recent version of Athena's Armour Set Search program (aka, the ASS).

To find out the easiest way to make the set you're talking about, you just need to tell the program, how far you are in the game, what your best Attack and Sharpness talismans are. Also whatever your talisman is with the most slots, incase the other ones don't cut it.

I set up my mine like this

Daves%20ass_zpsiyn1k5ye.png

I definitely recommend to allow bad skills, because otherwise it won't show you any armour combinations with negative skills. I'd much rather have the choice to see what the bad skills are, and choose to gem them out, or not.

For example, my main set for getting lots of extra carves has Thunder Res -20 as a negative skill. Who cares about that? Only a couple of monsters use attacks of that element anyway, and they're not hard to avoid. I regularly used this set to farm quests with Zinogre and Rajang both and never bother gemming this skill out.
    Decided to give the Glaive a go, ....I'm left with a slow, lumbering dung beetle hanging off my arm. And I just realised I have no idea what the controls are.

The thing that I really hate about the Glaive is that if you are holding the R button, and then release it, you'll do the "Pheramone shot" which is where you Stargate Staff Blast a useless little homing beacon out of your staff. The way this is supposed to work is that your kinsect will the home in on the beacon and you can easily get your buff juices, but in practice the kinsect doesn't infinitely fly towards the beacon, it will just flies towards it once when you tell it to, and won't readjust if the monster moves.

Mostly though, the thing that annoys me is that I'm often playing with the Glaive and holding R because I'm waiting to press one of the following button combinations:
    R+X - Send Kinsect
    R+A - Recall Kinsect
    R+B - Pole Vault

Oftentimes though I'll think "Hmm, no it's not safe to do a thing, because the monster is about to attack", so I'll release R. Then my hunter does a pheramone shot, often into the face of an attacking monster. This has often gotten me hit and occasionally gotten me killed.

To combat this, I've had to get into the habit of cancelling my "Waiting to do something" by pressing R+Y, which sheaths my weapon.

I don't think the Insect Glaive needs any buffs, but I would consider it a huge one; at least for my style of play; to just remove the pheramone shot altogether, or tie it to a different, less annoying input.
    On an unrelated note, if anyone knows how to get Kodi to give me screen resolution options on an Android box using the AV-out rather than HDMI (so I can't turn HDMI autodetect off!), that would free me up for more hunting and less fruitless configurating.

Honestly, I have no idea what this even means.

Decided to give the Glaive a go, but to do so I first needed a few Nercylla bits. Compared to the first fight he's been a pussycat. Maybe it's the new charge blade, maybe it's my new Club 92 methodology (Always be mounting!) but I'm barely using my Meds now... Just chopping and riding, like a randy chef. Big thanks for all the encouragement to start using the verticals a bit more. At this rate I could probably build myself the Armour set too....

Anyway, built the Nercylla glaive only to find I can't get the materials to upgrade Kinsect, so I'm left with a slow, lumbering dung beetle hanging off my arm. And I just realised I have no idea what the controls are. Back to youtube!

Did my 3 day work binge. No MH during then. Got two days off, but spending it with misses, so no MH, but still managed a bit. Hehe.

Banjo: really happy to see you using vertical a lot more. Its this MH new concept and I really love, way more fun then whole underwater thing in 3. My play style just goes around throwing in punches and using my terrain. I was a bit off about it at start as I did not knew how it works, but after some practice it's my primary way of dealing with monsters. I kind of want to learn glaive just because of its jump attack. By the looks of it in MH X you can get different fighting styles that let's you jump attacks with wider weapon range. Really looking forward to it, specially the great sword.

Baal: as soon as I got time for myself I am downloading app, I can already see how beneficial it is. What I do now, is just going to mh4 app and looking for skill I want, then check what gear carries that skill,looking for primary torso. Then see if it's more beneficial to get other gear with stats or "torso up" skill.
    So far looks like sharpness is a high level gear skill. The choice is very minimal.

Which kind of brings me to the topic of Seregios's weapons. I had a chance to sneak out and finally try out my Seregios CB. Did two fights: gathering hall LR rathian solo and hr tigrex from caravan. After those two fights I can say only one thing about it: I love it and it works even with CB due to my play style. I never droped bellow blue sharpness and always was able to keep up on on white and now and then to Blue. Just from fast look I can see it being more handy and efficient then using blackguard+. Blackguard is very good weapon, but it's blue sharpness is pretty much useless. It goes away very fast and you just fight in green sharpness. In a long run Seregios with its gimmick just does it work very well and keeps me in higher damage band.

So yeah, all in all I am happy with Seregios CB. Would love to make great sword. Actually, due to my play style I really want to try out great sword again. I got mats to make a few. So meh, might use it for ****s and giggles. My dream weapon always was great sword ( as a lot of other noobs hehe) and with new mounting mechanic and vertical play I can really see it work!

Other step: I want to get some new gear as I learn more and more about skills. Right now I use a nice set with attack large and half stun. Its a mess, but works so far.

My ideal would be attack + L or LX with razor blade, but I doubt it will happen right now. Would be nice to get some higher defence gear with attack+ L and more useful skulls like handicraft etc. Will need to go through my app or when I get chance to get that app.

I see a lot of hunters taking q break over weekend. :)

Anyway, my misses had her hangover beauty sleep, so I managed to play some MH!

It was about me trying out Seregios CB in real world amd try to do some progress. In fact I did!

First of all did one expedition run, where I killed 4 monsters. It gave me a few guild quests. I finally understand how guild quests work. Got that out of system and I might be doing a lot more expeditions.

Did some caravan hr progress:

Hr tigrex 8stars
    Hr black gravios 9stars
    Hr Azure rathalos 9stars

Tigrex and b.gravios were grand, but Azure rathalos just dick. I don't want to spoil it, but caravan quest has a twist. A very ****ed up one. I still managed to do that quest from first Try, but it tops Seregios quest by a mile. I had no potions left and all supply potions were gone too when I captured it. I guess stupid combination for mega potions failed 4 times on field too... Just really unlucky.

Azure rathalos makes a fantastic set, which does have sharpness skill!!! I really wanted, but idea of doing that quest again just makes me shiver...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Always the chance that he'll show up on expeditions and other quests now that you've beaten him once though!

Went back to caravan 2-5 to clear left over quests. Not because I'm running scared from the Gore Magala. I just like to tidy up loose ends, is all. After doing the double-Nercylla hunt, I had enough body parts to craft 4 of the 5 pieces of the armor. What the hell! Let's run it again and make all 5 pieces. So I did. And I really need to learn how to use Gems 'cause I'm sure I could do something cool with all those slots but I haven't figured out what. Double Gypceros hunt - check! Catch a bunch of fish - Check! Hunt a herd of monkeys - check! Run out of things to do to avoid the inevitable - Check!

Anyway, none of this procrastinaction got me any where. Sure, I charged into my Gore Magala hunt loaded for bear with Nulberry's up the ying yang, but it turns out they're supposed to be taken orally. It started well enough, with me absolutely bating him around the place and forcing him to dribble off to his nest. But fool that I am, blood up and blade charged, I followed him and proceeded to engage him in combat in the smallest possible arena the hunting ground offered. I could barely move for devilspunk pools and big black evil feet. He cannily kept moving out of the way of my many cunning nest-lip-jump mount attempts and then, for want of a better phrase, stomped the living **** out of me.

Needless to say I fainted. Charged back across the map, made a sneaky dash for the comparative safety of his hind legs but he caught me with the edge of his strafing explodey-breath then flew backwards, pinning me in place, and charged straight through me. And that was that. 2 hits and I was fainted again. It was so quick that I was able to transition a couple of areas before my Palicoes knew I was gone!

I took my time on the final return journey, scrounging up a few extra potions and berries on the way to sustain me in the fight but it was pointless, the only way I was going to be getting any benefits from those elixers was if the force of one of the relentless dragon's blows shoved my backpack straight into my stomach and shattered all the precious vials there-in. That would have made for an awesome Popeye-like comeback, but it was not to be. This time he did me the courtesy of taking 3 hits to kill me so I could retain some pride.

Looking at my save games, my new save is now on the same amount of hours as my last one, and I'm starting to get a very familiar (sinking) feeling about this hunt... :D

Went back to caravan 2-5 to clear left over quests. Not because I'm running scared from the Gore Magala. I just like to tidy up loose ends, is all. After doing the double-Nercylla hunt, I had enough body parts to craft 4 of the 5 pieces of the armor. What the hell! Let's run it again and make all 5 pieces. So I did. And I really need to learn how to use Gems 'cause I'm sure I could do something cool with all those slots but I haven't figured out what. Double Gypceros hunt - check! Catch a bunch of fish - Check! Hunt a herd of monkeys - check! Run out of things to do to avoid the inevitable - Check!

Anyway, none of this procrastinaction got me any where. Sure, I charged into my Gore Magala hunt loaded for bear with Nulberry's up the ying yang, but it turns out they're supposed to be taken orally. It started well enough, with me absolutely bating him around the place and forcing him to dribble off to his nest. But fool that I am, blood up and blade charged, I followed him and proceeded to engage him in combat in the smallest possible arena the hunting ground offered. I could barely move for devilspunk pools and big black evil feet. He cannily kept moving out of the way of my many cunning nest-lip-jump mount attempts and then, for want of a better phrase, stomped the living **** out of me.

Needless to say I fainted. Charged back across the map, made a sneaky dash for the comparative safety of his hind legs but he caught me with the edge of his strafing explodey-breath then flew backwards, pinning me in place, and charged straight through me. And that was that. 2 hits and I was fainted again. It was so quick that I was able to transition a couple of areas before my Palicoes knew I was gone!

I took my time on the final return journey, scrounging up a few extra potions and berries on the way to sustain me in the fight but it was pointless, the only way I was going to be getting any benefits from those elixers was if the force of one of the relentless dragon's blows shoved my backpack straight into my stomach and shattered all the precious vials there-in. That would have made for an awesome Popeye-like comeback, but it was not to be. This time he did me the courtesy of taking 3 hits to kill me so I could retain some pride.

Looking at my save games, my new save is now on the same amount of hours as my last one, and I'm starting to get a very familiar (sinking) feeling about this hunt... :D

I kind of need to do same, come back and do a clean up. I am pretty sure I skipped some food quests too. Its just.... I hate those egg delivery quests and other non sense. Give me a rabid on its period Azure rathalos instead off then one of those soul crushing crappy quests.

So still strugling with it Mogala m8? When I was fighting it, for some reason I completely ignored his mines and blight thing. For some reason it was not effecting me that bad. I never used any items to nullify it.
    As you have learned, the terrain you fight monster in is very very important. I try to avoid all those crappy places and try to wait out or get just avoid monster until it flies away. Perfect example of it was my Azure Rathalos fight. I will put it in spoilers if someone does not want it to get ruined for themselves as it was a WTF moment for me at least.
    Right, the Azure Rathalos quests begins very very badly for you. You go hunt A. Rathalos and guess who pops in just to annoy you? Seregios!!! So you basically have to fight very nasty A. Rathalos and fight off your back pissed off seregios, which is very hard even on its own. What I did I just tried to isolate A. Rathalos all the time. Just mark the bastard and if they were both in one place I would just leg it in to other area and wait for one of them change position, then go in and fight when A. Rathalos on its own. Both of them even in big area is just anal session without a lube. Not pretty.

Good God... Egg delivery... I did the one with the Rathian where she smashes the crap out of the map, but I approached it as a Rathian hunt, took down the beast and then trotted off home with the egg.

But they wanted 2 of the fecking things, and they deliberately made the route home longer for the second trip. I'd rather have a second Rathian.

Incidentally, this is one of those game moments that you break by playing it the hard-man way. It's much more fun if you grab the egg and run from the Rathian, the set-piece is designed around you trying not to break the egg and failing. Sometimes you're better off to do what the game tells you to do than following your draconicidal gut!

• Advertisement

For me that is always "screw the egg, I'm taking this down!"

And then when I'm trotting home the long way the second time round with the egg, some little scumbag of a felyne / melynx will jump at my back and result in the world's most disappointing omelette. Needless to say, I end up killing every damn one of them in the area in a rage fit.

Visited my family over the weekend again, so the only bit of multiplayer on my main file was killing Zinogres to try and get a Skymerald for my nephew to make his Star Knight set. Since killing a single G-rank Zinogre is a refreshingly easy quest compared to the other Apex/Guild quest/Elder Dragon nonsense that comprises G rank; I decided to bust out my gun sets, and focused on breaking his head/horns for that extra skymerald chance, since my missus and her dual blades and my nephew and his great sword did definitely NOT need any assistance getting that tail off.

The quests went brutally quickly. Of special note was the time I was using the Seregios Bow, during which out team looked like a pro-MLG-speedrunning crew.

Zinogre tripped.
    Zinogre stood back up.
    Zinogre tripped.
    Zinogre stood back up.
    Zinogre tripped.
    Zinogre stood back up.
    Zinogre mounted.
    Zinogre toppled.
    Zinogre stood back up.
    Zinogre tripped.
    Zinogre stood back up.
    Zinogre tripped.
    Zinogre stood back up.
    Zinogre dead.

It wasn't even on purpose or planned, but we apparently hit some sort of wonderful sweetspot of bow charge damage, GS Lv.3 charges and DB demon mode/mounting.

It was glorious.

Nephew got his Skymerald too.

Good God... Egg delivery...

Egg quests are definitely very annoying. Most of my other half's play progression was stunted by her adamant refusal to ever do any solo egg delivery quests in the caravan.

I've seen a lot of people elsewhere on the internet suggest really extravagant egg delivery armoursets with marathon runner, negate heat/cold/hunger etc etc. I think that's really overboard.

I don't have a dedicated egg delivery set in this game, but if I did it would be:

Armour skills:
    Autotracker (Know where all large monsters are always)
    High Grade Earplugs (Don't drop eggs to a sneaky roar)
    Transporter (Move faster transporting eggs)

Food skill:
    Felyne Lander (fall from any height, never drop egg)
    Caveat - Lander does not work versus that transition between areas in the dunes that results in your character loading already knocked out flat on their stomach (I think area 5 to 8)

Inventory:
    Mega/Regular Dash Juice x5 (drink before picking up egg)
    Hot/cold drinks if required (remember hot drinks are not needed if you have dash juices)

That's it. Keep in mind I never made this set, I don't think I actually have any usable set with High Grade Earplugs. I probably just used full Veliciprey for autotracker, felyne lander and dash juices. That's all I needed to beat all the egg quests I encountered.

The trick is to just watch where the monster is on the map, and only transition to a new area when it's safe to do so. Rathian in particular homes in on whomever has the egg, so as long as you wait by the area edge and allow her to catch up on you before moving on, she shouldn't get a single attack or roar off.

Gore Magala is dead.

It was a near thing, the bitch nearly had me, but there's no such thing as half a shag, half a dump or half a hunt. You've either done it or you aint. And finally I ain't an ain't.

Nerscylla glaive and armour. Opened with an accidental mount (hey, this reminds me of a story about my wedding...), followed my usual pattern of Beat the tar out of it / let it retreat to the tiny nest area / get 2-shotted in the nest / run back and get 2-shotted / run back and get... but no! I did not get 2-shotted the 2nd time! I ran like an uncooked egg to another area and drank my armoured weight in potions, then ran back and nearly got 2 shotted. But where there is a sliver of health and a big feck-off stick with a beetle on the end of it, there's a way!

I still can't control the bug or the glaive reliably, but I tell you what - it doesn't matter what you can and can't control! When you're juiced up to the nines with Red you can just press any buttons you like and that bitch is going DOWN!

Sweet victory! finally I am Caravan Rank 5! I know that's pitifully low in the scheme of things but whatcha gonna do?

The glorious high of vanquishing my greatest foe lasted about 3 minutes, at which point I found out I had not unlocked the area that I need to mine to upgrade my Glaive, and then found out that there are about 2 inches of Gravios's body that are not impervious to my Glaive, and those 2 inches emit some sort of death-by-pastuerisation every couple of minutes. I'm going to have to practice my stick-vault mount.

I'm still in awe of the idea of a family get-together that involves taking down Monsters instead of drinking too much wine and arguing. Kudos to you, UP_B!

Gore Magala is dead.

I'm still in awe of the idea of a family get-together that involves taking down Monsters instead of drinking too much wine and arguing. Kudos to you, UP_B!

GJ Banjo! In my opinion LR Gore Magala might be the last hard thing you fight until sometime in G-Rank. I expect you'll have plain sailing in the game now for a very long time.

One random tip about Glaive shooting I didn't figure out for a while as well was kinsect charging: hold R+X for a while until the kinsect flashes, then release X to shoot it off very quickly and with a lot of power in whatever direction you're facing.

There's not a lot of reason to do this over regular kinsect shooting (it's obviously stronger but takes significantly longer to prepare), but if you're fighting someone awful like Gravios who drags the fight out by fart-walking, you can spend your downtime powering up that bug.

There will also be the rare occasion where you'll be towards the end of a monster fight and think "If I can just get some red essense I can finish this off", charge up your bug, shoot it, and see the "Quest complete" screen pop up via an unexpected bug kill.

Family gaming get togethers are good when you can manage them. I've never been big into drinking.

I raised my siblings kids on stuff like Phantasy Star online and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles on the Gamecube; so something like Monster Hunter has an instant appeal.

I'd love a good ol local-multiplayer session on Monster Hunter. Don't know anyone else that plays it (in person, I obviously know of you lovely lot of Jaggi herders!)

I've struggled with several beasties following the Gore Magala, perhaps we should team up Banjo! :p

Star Lord wrote: »
    I'd love a good ol local-multiplayer session on Monster Hunter. Don't know anyone else that plays it in person

I am a huge proponent of local monster hunter. Nothing beats it. To date I have yet to do a single quest of MH4U online.

I've been doing local co-op since MH Tri on the Wii, and that didn't even HAVE local co-op.

I'd just get people to come over to my flat with THEIR Wiis and their copies of Tri, and we'd all play in the same room off the same internet connection.

During the MH3U days I'd sometimes meet total strangers off boards in cafés in Dublin and tear though content that way.

Banjo: happy on your progress. I can see you bit the bait of MH addictive madness. Satisfaction of taking on harder and harder monsters is very addictive. Even more satisfying when you come back to kill monster you struggled with before and just rail Road it. Now wait for all the other mew monsters. Gore magala was pretty much an introduction. ;)

As for local play: me and UberPrinny_Baal already trying to see if we can make a day for it in Cork at some date. I'll be coming from limerick. If any more people interested in it, they are more then welcome to join in.
    The idea of meeting up with fellow monster hunter nerds with a cup of coffee is something that I would to in a heart beat.

As for local play: me and UberPrinny_Baal already trying to see if we can make a day for it in Cork at some date. I'll be coming from limerick. If any more people interested in it, they are more then welcome to join in.
    The idea of meeting up with fellow monster hunter nerds with a cup of coffee is something that I would to in a heart beat.

At this point, we're basically guaranteed 4 people. If we get more than that, we could split into two rotating groups of different people, which is something I've never done before locally. A two person group is the cap on arena stages too, so it's not like anyone has to feel put out playing with less. I always love getting more arenas done.

If nobody wants to read far too many damn words about my other character progress, you can stop reading now: The event I had been expectantly waiting for on my solo gun alt finally happened: Half Price Shop Sale!

If playing gunner-only feels like slumming it, playing gunner-only AND not having any good bullets in your box feels like super mega ultra poverty slumming it. I was basically living hand-to-mouth (hand-to-bullet-chamber?) and only buying enough bullets to last the very next quest, and was always running out mid-quest and finishing with Normal S1 or uncoated Bow shots like a savage.

Now though, I've purchased 1000 each of Normal 2, Pellet 1 and Pellet 2, as well as 500ish each of Pierce 1 and each of the elemental shots, and 100 shots of poison 1. I didn't spent anything on bow coatings because I don't have any good bows that can use coatings. That's an expense I can look forward to in the future.

My total spending spree brought me from 34,000z to 52z. So now I'm too poor to do anything but harvest tours and collection quests.

That's cool though, because I wanted to mop up all the village 2 and 3 star quests before moving onto the next plot event, which is riding the boat, where, iirc
    Gore Magala will attack on the ocean.

I hope that will give me access to Cheeko Sands, because I only have Val Habar and Harth atm, and I'd really like to get more than one cat (two stealing cats would really help me get extra parts for all my useless guns).

Currently I've made all available weapons except for the Nerscylla HBG and Bow (need more parts).

I don't have ANY talismans other than the auto-guard one the plot gives you. I'd desperately like any one so that I can do a bit of armour customisation. Even just a blank one with a slot or two would be great.

I'm in a frustrating position HR-wise where I can easily kill a basarios on an expedition, but am then too low level to do the guild quest I get as a result, which involves killing a basarios....(?)

My weapon progress is being gated by Dragonite Ore, some beetles, and parts from a bunch of monsters I haven't fought yet: Narjarala, Iodrome, Ioprey and Zamites (yeah the little poison and shark guys).

The Arzuros gun+ which is one of my two best weapons and has been my primary source of crouch-fired pellet (which can shred a seltas to death in about 45 seconds) will lose it's individuality by upgrading into either a Congalala or Nerscylla HBG. As much as I'd like to make EVERY possible upgrade of every weapon, I don't think I've ever seen or heard of anyone using a Congalala weapon in ANY MH game ever. I'm not sure I'll be arsed to fully upgrade two Arzuros Gun+'s so that I can take them down parallel paths.

My other best HBG is the Tetsucabra, which can crouch fire normal 1 (the greatest skill for a poor hunter) and will be upgraded later to a either rare 3 Tetsu gun or a rare 2 Rathian gun. It's more likely here I'll make both.

Light Bowgun is still the ginger stepchild of the three gunner weapons for me. It's usages are less than a quarter of HBGs. I haven't found or made a single one that can rapid fire a useful ammo, so I just feel like I'm wasting time and bullets whenever I take on on a kill quest.

Lastly I was thinking about making a full set of Bumblepumkin armour since it has Fastcharge (good for bows) and Destroyer, it also has Combination+ and Pro which is good for a poverty character like mine who hasn't got all the combo books yet, and it will allow me to make more bullets and bomb casings cheaper. Also my main chars in MH3U and MH4U were both girls, and this gun alt is a guy, and the male bumblepumpkin helmet looks badass!

If anyone actually read to the end of this, good job you!

Well, good job me then :D

Is there not a weird kind of fulfillment in taking on a job to pay for the materials for the next one - you can't get a more direct causal link between your actions and your goals! - or does the Ammo shortage just make the whole thing a real trudge?
    I tried the ranged weapons once, I just can't get into the rhythm. It felt like maybe you're supposed to use them more in a group when you can let your melée guys keep the beast busy.

OK, what's a "stealing" palico?
    I've just been hiring whomever comes along and using them to occasionally catch the Plesioth (sp?) in the fishing game. I should have known there was more depth to it than that...

Not a lot of hunting time yesterday, had a quick look at my Gathering Hall quests, I'm still on the 1st set. So I set out to capture a Gypceros but the bastard ran away from my trap when I pre-tranqued his face, and despite having 2 trap tools with me I had neglected to pack / scrounge up enough materials to make anything out of them. And it was getting late so I couldn't go and do it then... And once that frustration starts to simmer, and that bendy penile tail is flapping around at your face it's hard not to take it out on poor aul' Gypo... So he's dead now :(
    They are a bollix to fight on mute, you can't hear the click-click of his head-flint so you have to constantly keep resetting the camera to make sure he's not up to any shenanigans. Also, it gets very confusing when your weapon does poison damage and you keep hitting him during spitting/loogie-charges and then have to pause to check if you've gone purple...

To get to HR2 do I have to do *all* of the HR1 quests? There's a lot of gathering and bullying little critters around in that list that I can't be arsed with...

• Advertisement

Well, good job me then :D

lol, thanks for reading my nonsense wall-o-text Banjo. I don't like fighting Gypceros either. In-fact, here's a picture I saved out of someone's scans of one of the MH artbooks because it gave me so much joy. This particular section was discussing how incredibly elastic the Gypceros tail is:

Itcansmackitself_zpsd0e3dbfd.png

OK, what's a "stealing" palico?
    I've just been hiring whomever comes along and using them to occasionally catch the Plesioth (sp?) in the fishing game. I should have known there was more depth to it than that...

As a Shakalaka loyalist, I didn't pay much attention to the Palicos or how they worked, and had to have this explained to me later by a friend of mine when I was embarrasingly far in the game.

Basically, you have your Ace Palico, who doesn't have any particular inclinations towards how he behaves in battle (I think this is called "Leadership forte" but it basically means "Blank slate").

Then you have all your other cats which you recruit once you're further in the game. Each of them DOES have a particular inclination (Attack, Healing, Stealing, Gathering etc).

You can set up to 5 of these cats to be your "First Stringers" (or was it second stringers?). Depending on what their "forte" is, your ace palico will change his behavour in battle to reflect them. So if you have only one healing first stringer, your ace will be healing forte. If you have 2 healers and 3 attackers, he'll be attack forte.
    Also specific amounts of first stringers of the same type will give your ace palico certain new abilities (without looking anything up, I know stealing unlocks something like the follow skills:

1: Steal - Palico can steal 1 carvable item from a monster
    2: Boomerang - Palico throws a giant boomerang, deals cutting damage
    4: Boomerang+ - Palico throws a bigger boomerang
    5: Steal+ - Palico more likely to steam items.

I imagine there are probably good combinations of cats to use to unlock a particular set of skills, but I always just use 5 of the same cat and go all in on whatever skill I'm looking for.

If you have the space, I recommend keeping 5 of each type of cat and taking them out on test drives to see which you like.

I like healing (more health horns, antidote horns), attack (buff horns), protection (def buffs, actual blocking of some fireball attacks) and gathering (no fighting, just picking up items). Stealing will always be king for me though. Not only do I usually walk away with one extra carve per two cats, but I have often gone on quests with blunt or gun weapons, and had the boomerang spamming cats cut the monsters tail off completely on their own.

I was so surprised I miiverse posted about it at the time: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAAAtVHhph07kcw
    To get to HR2 do I have to do *all* of the HR1 quests? There's a lot of gathering and bullying little critters around in that list that I can't be arsed with...

You never need to beat all quests, you just need to beat the urgent quest to go up a HR.

The annoying thing is though is that in order to UNLOCK the urgent, you need to beat all the key quests.

The main problem there is that key quests are not marked in any way, and the only way to know which quests are key is to look it up online.

Advertisement