Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Monster Hunter Boardsie Caravan Ultimate Generations X G

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Feels a little strange how slow you move when in axe mode

This never really made much sense to me! I mean it's not like it's a cumbersome weapon, or heavier than its sword and shield mode!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Ugh Khezu, annoying fecker. Thought I'd be able to kill him relatively quickly before the F1 started earlier today, nope. Quit the mission via the sub-quest so not a total waste of time. Will try him again.

Hopefully I'll warm to the charge blade more as the slow movement is really off-putting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Ugh Khezu, annoying fecker. Thought I'd be able to kill him relatively quickly before the F1 started earlier today, nope. Quit the mission via the sub-quest so not a total waste of time. Will try him again.

Hopefully I'll warm to the charge blade more as the slow movement is really off-putting.

Hmm, really? I found all Khezus pretty much easy mode with GS or CB. The only one, which did got a few F bombs from me was Red Khezu. With Lance Khezu is a bit more tricky as I am still not great with evade Lance and I dont have Evade distance skill. Just keep an eye on is moves. He gives a lot of openings, which are really easy to abuse with sword mobe in CB.
    Another thing about CB. Axe mode is not the mode to be in full time. Its situational. In fact, the way I play it, I use it only on downed monsters. So in nut shell my fighting with CB: Use sword mode all the fight until I got full phials. After that I try to get red shield charge and get full phials again. Whens that done I am looking for openings to mount monster and down it. Then its just about unloading super burst attacks. As soon as monster gets up, I got to sword and shield mode.
    Mobility of a weapon should not be an issue for you m8. In fact it is one of the most versatile and mobile weapons.

As for my own progress:

Not much, just usual random G2 quests. Really getting hang of Lance. In fact I finally got a good group and we did Fire Drill quest. Just one quest away from urgent.
    In fact I was fighting that urgent Monster for other people and we always failed. I never fainted on that Monster, but my team mates do. Its third time it happened to me now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

When I loaded up my monster hunter file the last time I played I was a little confused.

I told you guys I killed DM with a Pierce 2 HBG, but on my file I was brandishing my Plesioth HBG, my best Normal 2 gun.

I checked my items to see if I had any DM carves on me, if perhaps I was incorrect in my stories. No no DM carves on me.

Maybe I was prepared to depart on a quest I had forgotten about?

Better talk to the Guildmarn and see what she has for me.

Ahhh, I understand now.

Kirin.

I had unlocked Kirin after the DM tradable parts quest but didn't have time for the quest on my lunch, so I just prepped my character to fight him with a more appropriate gun (Piercing Kirin would be a mad fool's errand). Then saved and quit.

This is a monster I've never liked fighting and always thought was lazy. From the days when Velicidromes were "bosses" that were just bigger Veliciprey models, and Bulldromes were "bosses" that were just bigger Bullfango models, here we have the Bossification of the goddamn Kelbi.

And then they pee on their own lore by calling it an Elder Dragon...

On my main file, if I ever have to fight this idiot, I actually try and gun him; so I was pretty comfortable.

It just makes it so much easier to always hit him in his stupid horn, which iirc is both his only weak point and his only breakable part.

Since he isn't really weak to any element, the raw power of normal 2 more than does the job.

During my attempt at him, I was sloppy enough to get hit by his rage AOE lighning attack while I was lightningblighted, which took 75% of my HP in a single hit AND dizzied me. While I was stunned and trying to mash our, he sauntered through me with his inoffensive kelbi prance and killed me.

That was my only death though, he died soon enough afterwards and his parts unlocked new things in the armoury. I'll get to that later.

Anyway the last quest I did was 4* double Gyperceros, which I'd been putting off until I could rapid fire fire shots, which I now can do.

So I brought the Kut Ku LBG and made hilariously short of the whole thing.

Then that's it as far as large boss monster kill quests on my file goes. Everthing that's left is to kill X amount of tiny monsters, deliver eggs, delivery fish, do harvest tours or collect herbs.

I'm gonna have to put away my combat armour, wear full leather, and chip away until all the boring quests are done.

But I am now faced with a logistical issue.

This character was supposed to be Low Rank Solo Only gunner, which has worked out so far, but I also had wanted to make all the low rank weapons IN low rank, without going back and cheesing it with HR weapons and gear.

But it seems like I can't make Yian Garuga nor Kirin weapons without increasing my multiplayer Hunter Rank, because I have to farm them in guild quests, and I can't join my own posted guild quests with my low multiplayer rank.

There's only really two solutions:

(1) Say "Fck it", and ignore these specific weapons. Then polish off the other LR rank weapons and quests, then move onto high rank

(2) Beat all the key and urgent multiplayer gathering hall quests until my rank is high enough to farm Kirin and Garuga.

What do you guys think?

---
    I miss my Mallow gamestop. :(

That is a pretty unfortunate customer experience. You're far enough down the MH rabbit hole now that your average member of shop staff are basically useless to you for info.

Did the Mallow gamestop close or did you move away from it?
    Feels a little strange how slow you move when in axe mode but it made short work of a Lagombi though (I was normally a sword & shield man).
    Star Lord wrote: »
    This never really made much sense to me! I mean it's not like it's a cumbersome weapon, or heavier than its sword and shield mode!

I feel like the in-universe explanation for the slower walk speeds isn't necessarily that the weapons are heavy (because our characters are clearly superhuman) but moreso that they're unbalanced.

Putting all the weight of a CB onto (functionally) the end of a pole is a lot more cumbersome than neatly spreading the weight across two hands in Sword mode.

I'm just on 50 hours played to date, not a patch on you chaps, but a lot for me. The misses was sitting beside and said 'I remember that sound' while I was mining. :pac:

Anyway, will continue with some more quests before going for Gore again. :)

Sounds like you're doing well. For reference the alt character I'm playing has hit 50 hours, so we're around the same point of invested time.

I'm not sure what Khezu tips to give without knowing what gave your problems.

IIRC he's pretty weak to fire, and you can block his body electricity attacks, but CANNOT block his projectile attacks. This is my memory from MH2, I don't think I've tried blocking his projectiles in 4U.
    Another thing about CB. Axe mode is not the mode to be in full time. Its situational. In fact, the way I play it, I use it only on downed monsters. So in nut shell my fighting with CB: Use sword mode all the fight until I got full phials. After that I try to get red shield charge and get full phials again. Whens that done I am looking for openings to mount monster and down it. Then its just about unloading super burst attacks. As soon as monster gets up, I got to sword and shield mode.

I really like CB's Sword mode, I'd stay it in all the time if I could; but I can't due to overcharging.

This is more aimed at Andrew than you SH, but just for an alternate weapon take: When I play CB, I tend to get the red shield charged as quick as possible (extra axe damage and better blocking), then I usually do CB Axe mode X->A->X->A etc.

This is a vertical axe swing, then a double horizontal axe swing plus phial discharge, then back into the vertical swing and so on.

I keep doing this until I run out of phials, then transition back to sword mode to build up more.

If it seems like I'm going to get a longer than usual damage opportunity, rather then pressing the A button once only I'll mash it to combo into the big discharge.

While it is fun to just sit on your full phials and wait for an opportunity to get that super mega ultra explosion elemental phial spirit bomb finisher; I prefer constant guaranteed damage over potential huge future damage.

Baal:

I moved to limerick over 3 months ago to live with misses. So Mallow is nit local anymore hehe. It was my to go place for last 10 years. Loved the lads in there.
    He really pissed me off. He just wanted me to pre book it. Claiming it will be 240eu. No way it's going to be 240eu and it will be with pre installed game. So knowing gamestop it will be priced at around 300eu. For God sake they got mhx in website already 69.99eu... God bless smyths and argos, which I bet will do it for around 45-50eu.
    Speaking of mhx - I am really starting to get an itch!!! Watching all those demo videos on reddit is not helping!!! It's still almost a month. :(
    Oh God, I will be playing the living Jesus out of it on 15th!!!

Oh yeah, forgot to say in last post: I got another Seregios lense and got zinogre skyemerald last night too. I guess it's true, when you don't need them anymore, they pop up like mushrooms. :)

Struggling with the Kezhu again myself too, I've always struggled with them! Hate the horrible, stretchy necked, leechy looking weirdos! Guess I am just terrible at reading their 'tells', constantly getting shocked or whipped. And it doesn't help that his scarlet sibling shows up to creep up on me when I finally get a chance to wail on him for a bit!

Speaking of mhx - I am really starting to get an itch!!! Watching all those demo videos on reddit is not helping!!! It's still almost a month. :(
    Oh God, I will be playing the living Jesus out of it on 15th!!!

Oh yeah, forgot to say in last post: I got another Seregios lense and got zinogre skyemerald last night too. I guess it's true, when you don't need them anymore, they pop up like mushrooms. :)

My mind is boggled as to why you would watch demo videos of Generations. At that point why not just download it and play instead?

Hurry up and get to G3 so you can make Star Knight lol
    Struggling with the Kezhu again myself too, I've always struggled with them! Hate the horrible, stretchy necked, leechy looking weirdos! Guess I am just terrible at reading their 'tells', constantly getting shocked or whipped. And it doesn't help that his scarlet sibling shows up to creep up on me when I finally get a chance to wail on him for a bit!

I can't really wrap my mind around the specific Khezu problems. The flowchart in my brain is like this:

If he has his tail in the ground, he's about to do an electric attack.
    Head back = Projectile
    Head down = Body shock

If it's a body shock: wait, block or if you're a fancy lad, counter/guard point. As previously discussed, once an attack is blocked it loses it's hitbox, and you can safely hit Khezu even if it LOOKS like he should be hurting you.

If it's a projectile, it's always in a predictable triple fan shape. Be to the side of him, or in front but far away. If he's frenzied, then it will be a double blast of alternating angles projectiles.

If he's flexing his knees, he's about to jump forward onto you, or up onto the ceiling.

If he's on the ceiling and you're a gunner, it causes very little inconvenience. If you're a blademaster you can really only spam bounce bombs or wait for him to get bored and come back down.

If he's walking forward while covered in electricity, he's about to do a brief homing charge at you. Just move sideways.

If he stands stock still like a statue, he's very tired. Go nuts with damage.

baal: I ruined it with one monster myself, but then o watched tue monsters which are already in mh4, like zinogre. Not much damage done. I just watch weapon video mostly. The Lance giving me a boner already. :)

And sorry, I ment to answer you before, but forgot, then got caught with busy time at work:
    What should you do is up to you completely. You made your own rules in this playthrough, so you cam bend those rules yourself too, specially when it's game that outs restrictions.
    I would personally would just continue as is and catch up with weapons when you can. I know, bringing hr gear to LR is something you don't want to do, but your get out of jail card is, that monster is behind the wall, that you can't do due to silly splitting up of monsters in to online and solo. As I mentioned already, I really don't like that about MH4. Maybe the only thing that I don't like about whole series. :) Ah nah, wait a second, under water in Mh3 can feck off, amd feck off fast. :)

Thanks for the input chaps, much appreciated.

My issue with Khezu was more to do with me trying to kill him in a rush rather than him being overly difficult. I didn't have much time to play the game so I got a bit annoyed looking at him hugging the ceiling so much. So when he did drop down I was just being careless with my timing.

Regarding the Charge Blade, I'm only in axe mode when I have phials to use up which is quite often as it only takes a few hits to get them glowing red and filled up. It's still a fun weapon though and tbh I'm still rusty with it. That and maybe Bloodborne had me spoiled being so nimble on my feet. :)

Perseverance is the key though. At least until MHX comes out.

I really hope they bring out a version for the NX next year sometime. Would be awesome to play Monster Hunter in 1080p on the big screen with a proper controller.

On the seaway, the frozen seaway, the khezu sleeps tonight...

• Advertisement

On the seaway, the frozen seaway, the khezu sleeps tonight...

Simba, is that you? :pac:

Nicely done.

Tackled the Pink Rathian last night, so that I could upgrade my Dear Lutemia into a Dear Hecatel.

I've hunted and taken down plenty Rathians, and have never struggled with one like I did with this! It really, really, really loves to spam it's poison tail whip (which seems to have got an exponential potency and damage increase, and in increased hit box for it too)! I got failed the mission and sent home with my tail between my legs twice before a successful hunt! For example one time, I was doing alright, then suddenly she took to the air, tried to have a swing at me with the poisonous tail swing (which I'd dodge), only to have her fly after me, nail me with a second swipe of the tail, land while I was getting up, and I get up dizzy, spamming the buttons to try to get out of it, but she finished me off while I was unable to do anything!

Third time was the charm, managed to send her limping back to her nest, planted my shock trap right by her ugly noggin... and while I was planting it, one of my palicos decided it'd be a good time to give her a smack! Thankfully the trap set in time, and two tranq bombs to the nostrils later, she was mine! I got enough P.Rathian carapaces to upgrade to Dear Hecatel, but just shy of the required number of P.Rathian scale+ and inferno sacs, so I'll have to go pink hunting again today!

Nice job on that Pinky kill Starlord. I always say that she's the biggest jump in difficulty from a regular to a subspecies monster, as regular Rathian is hilariously easy, but Pink is a right old bitch

I had a very enlightening moment where a rare expedition appeared with a Garuga in it (first time I'd ever seen him in a forecast). I went on the expedition and killed him, and afterwards got a guild quest for.... Kirin!

The bloody Garuga kill didn't net me enough parts to make either of his weapons either, ffs.

So it seems I can only fight Garuga when there's a rare expedition active AND can only guarantee he'll even show up where he's in the forecast, and it seems like Kirin won't ever be in expeditions. Guild Quests only.

It's annoying I can't just fight Kirin without advancing my multiplayer rank. I'm basically HR0 but his guild quests have a requirement of HR3.

I need to be bloody HR2 to fight Basarios. Yeah I'm still bitter about that.

I know you guys probably don't care about the weird little personal restrictions I put on myself, but rather than skipping out on the "All low rank weapons" challenge, I might just finish off all the caravan quests, then forge the Dah'ran Mohran dayspring armour set and finally start tearing through the multiplayer quests like an angry cat in a paper bag.

According to Athena's ASS, if I'm willing to not attempt gemming out Reload Speed-2, and just go with extra attacking jewels I should be able to get: Peak Performance (AuL at full healt), Pierce Up (+10% Damage), Marathon Runner and AuM. At low rank, that's pretty silly.

Plus since negative reload speed doesn't affect Bows, and Marathon runner benefits bows, this might be a nice set to just take a high raw pierce bow with to rip multiplayer apart by myself.

Anyway, onto my own actual progress.

I decided to next do the 4* caravan quest to obtain 3 Speartuna. The subquest was to kill a Zamtrios, and I do need Zamtrios parts. But I didn't want to do any fishing without "Outdoorsman" and I didn't want to do any fighting without my Attack Up sets. So I was kinda of two minds:

(1) Forget the subquest and farm Zamtrios later when he's the main AND subquest objective. Bring a non-combat set and focus on the fish

(2) Gem outdoorsman onto my Veliciprey set, quickly (but inefficiently) murder Zamtrios before focusing on the fishing.

In the end I decided I didn't want to faff around with gemming an armourset for this one very specific quest, so I just popped on my horrendous "Garwga mask + Hunter mail" armour with the Combination skills and Outdoorsman. I also grabbed a handful of smoke and dung bombs from the box.

I departed on the quest and did a quick lap of the frozen seaway for mining. The Veggie elder gave me some Psychoserums, so I popped one to see where the Zamtrios was.

Nowhere.

Ah right, that makes sense, I guess he spawns part way through. I better get to fishing as quickly as possible in case I can get this finished before he appears.

As I leapt off the edge of the high up area to land in the fishing area, my game froze a little to signify the spawning of a boss monster, and his little psychoserumed paintball symbol appeared in the area I was leaping into.

"Oh balls" I thought "Please don't see me as I fall in."

And he didn't.

Thankful to the gods of good fortune, I popped down a smoke bomb and starting fishing.

No sooner did my lure hit the water that Zamtrios decided to 180 degree no-scope "!" see me. Then I was annoyingly trying to fish while the giant shark attempted to eat me.

My solution was to just relentlessly pelt him with poo until he went away. I didn't realise until watching his little paintball travel around the map that he always goes area by area in a very rigid anti-clockwise pattern, until he loops back around to me again, to be triple coated in ****e again.

I was about 20 minutes into this damn quest before I caught ANY Speartuna at all, but when they started appearing, they came in bunches, so I walked away with four because I remembered from my main file you can make an amusing Greatsword (not applicable) and Bow out of them.

I finished this quest at the 28 minute mark, and it was probably the longest and definitely the most boring quest I have done on this file thusfar.

We're really scraping the bottom of the barrel now, as the next quest I departed on was "Slay 8 Zamite".

This quest was only a little curious as I went clockwise around the map from the start area to hit up all the mining spots, and didn't see any Zamites until the third-to-last area, where, hilariously, they had a cutscene showing me how threatening they as one grew to gigantic (relatively speaking) size and roared! I didn't even know they could roar. I didn't flinch though, so maybe they're only allowed roar in cutscenes.

My leather gathering armour comes with a 3 slot pellet rapid-firing LBG, and that made very short work of all the Zamites.

I still have some egg delivery quests in my future, but I'm procrasting on those as long as possible, because I'd rather be fighting gigantic elderdragons by the skin of my teeth.

Pinky... it's the perfect name for that angry ball of rage and flame and poison! :D

Tried to grab a few minutes at the end of lunch to at least start the quest again... but I forgot to dine at the cooks table beforehand... and got carted pretty quickly because of that. :( Closed the 3DS in annoyance at myself and will resume later!

Ah lads. Wait till you meet Azure rathalos and then the cute silver rathian and gold rathalos.

I had no time playing at all. I am on holidays from yesterday, so I just went back to Cork to meet with lads. Needless to say my health is not great after last night. :) Today I am at sisters, but 3ds with me. Might play a bit.

Finally, got back tomorrow home, had lovely gigidi and when misses was a sleep i could play some important stuff. :D
    Actually I got really lucky last night. Joined a 3 player group and they were doing some hr progress. One lad G2 hr50, the other gold crown hr700 and G3 hr100 lad. We did b. Tigrex and I asked if we can do desert Seltas as it Is last q for me. The G2 fella said only after his q, which was urgent chaos magala. Fair enough i sold, I'll help. After we killed it, your man just ****ed off. Usual MH online experience, the other two lads were clearly there for some hunts etc. So I out up d. Seltas and we went and sadomised poor creature.
    All good and I posted my urgent chaos magala, some random g2 lad joined. I said not to worry, I'll help with his progress after. He said grand. Again we off on adventure and killed c. Magala in few minutes. I am G3 after that with bog smile on my face.
    Guess what I did?! I stayed! We did few more qs for that fella, but he got died or something right in the middle of Q. So we just finished and waited for another one to join. Did not waited for long and got someone who joined amd asked of we cam do his urgent, we said: sure. Then he says: it's really hard guys, you sure? Our reply: we just killed few minutes it's ago, third one won't be an issue. :)
    So we killed another moggy and as always that fella who got his urgent done had to go lol. Meh, we still having fun and moggy parts are handy.
    At that point we just did some random qs from g2. I put up a quest to kill frenzied b. Tigrex and b. Basarios. Another crown joined in.
    The quest started horribly. We went in to area and both bastards were in same area and full of beans. We got just instantly carted. Stun locked by tigrex and lazored by b. Gravios. Back in camp we just laughed and had "rekt" posted. New plan: bring lots of dung bombs.
    Plan went okay.... Just one lad got carted instantly before dung kicked in, and when tigrex ****ed off, b. Gravios decided to move to the same area!!! Another dung bombard, the newest member of group carted and rage quited, before tigrex ****ed off. Our old little gang just went meh, let's see what can we do. Guess what, 3 of us nailed the quests like bosses. :)

So yeah, had fun last night. Killed 3 C. Maggies and got almost enough to make full set, which I don't really need, but God, it looks sexy. :) or I can make some of those weird weapons. Now I know my Smith told me how they work, but I just did not listen or understood properly. Will need to find out how that negative and positive afinity works. On top of that had great core hunting party. :)

Captured another Pinky yesterday evening, so have more than enough P.Rathian scale+, but still two shy of the Inferno Sacs. Need to bring another one down!!!

SH, congrats on G3. Now stop putting it off and make your Star Knight set lol!

Regarding Chaos Gore weapons. They're a fun gimmick. Less fun and less useful than the Seregios gimmick but whatever. I can get into the affinty aspect of them at another point if you want to know more, but my super summarised opinion of them is:

Even though they're dragon element weapons, you should treat them just as high pure raw, because their element is SO small it might as well not be there. So they're good to bring on any Frenzy/Apex quest where element isn't a big deal.

I also generally recommend people make the Charge Blade, Dual Blades and Hunting Horn, because only these three weapons can be made with regular common parts and don't need the rare Contrary scales. You might as well make them to have fun with because they are unbelievably badass looking.

Continuing my thread of not-at-all-badass but incredibly boring quests, I did the 6* Misentoe delivery quest, and nothing interesting happened.

During the quest I did however recruit my third (finally) stealing cat, meaning that I have enough to make my Ace Palico and sidekick both Stealing Forte (rather than running a bombing ace with a stealing sidekick). Looking forward to the extra carves from this very much, especially as I have a lot of Rath plate farming in my future.

Then with much resistance and hesitation on my part I posted an Egg delivery quest. Main quest was 2 eggs, subquest was to cut Rathian's tail. Even though I could theoretically get a plate from the tail, much like my Zamtrios fishing quest, I prefer to farm monster parts when the main AND subquests are both monster related; so I just grabbed my Gore Magala bow, my Autotracker set and some dash juices. Ate for Felyne lander, and with no intention to cut the tail, I headed out.

The quest was on the A.Steppes, and I could see that Rathian started in the nest, so I circled around and mined a bit to see if she'd leave.

She didn't.

"Fair enough" I thought "There's probably a cut-scene waiting for me then."

And there was. Jaggi's mess around with some eggs, Rathian scares them off. Rathian goes to sleep.

"Wait" I exclaim "They're surely not going to just giftwrap a sleeping Rathian for me are they? Good lord. Does my Gore Magala Bow Item Set have LBB+'s in it?"

It did.

So I applied Power coating to my bow, plonked those bombs down, set them off with a paintball and started shredding Rathian with Dragon Element arrows. She died almost immediately.

Quest time at this point was under 6 minutes, and I'd spent ages mining, so I have no idea how long killing the Rathian took.

I drank my first dash juice, picked up the first egg and set off.

At the speed of smell.

As much as I feel like all you REALLY need for an Egg Delivery quest is Autotracker, Dash Juice and Felyne Lander, I had clearly forgotten how slow the "Heavy carry" walkspeed is without the Transporter armourskill.

At one point while I was trying to pathetically baby-step away from danger, a regular jaggi sauntered slowly up behind me, did a little spin and knocked the egg clearn out of my arms.

At that point I resolved to make a transporter set as soon as I got back to town.

Once the quest was done, I had a look at some gear. With a +5 Transporter Talisman, I could make a set with either 3 Transport decorations on my regular set, OR swap out my trousers for the Loc Lac ones (which also give +5), but ultimately decided to keep the full Vel set so I wouldn't lose out on secondary skills and defense.

New set is (I think): Attack Up M, Transporter, Detect, Half Stun. This is with no item slots as I'm trying to inflate my bow usage numbers, and bows overwhelmingly seem to have no slots.

I was out of quests at this point, so I ran around to all the towns to look for NPC speech bubbles and got THREE new quests:

Kill a Frenzied Zinogre
    Kill a Frenzied Nerscylla and Gyperceros
    Deliver three Frenzied Wyvern eggs, while a Frenzied Rathalos Frenzies some Frenzy

I am okay with this, as I actually need parts from all four of those monsters. Hope to get nicely stuck into these on my next lunch break.

Deliver three Frenzied Wyvern eggs, while a Frenzied Rathalos Frenzies some Frenzy

There's a nice recipe for flambéed frenzied omlettes that could be satisfying ager such exertion! :D

Got about halfway through taking the Pink Rathalos down one more time on my morning break without any major problems. Hopefully meet my quota of Inferno sacs after this one!

[edit]
    Put her to sleep in a nice comfy shock trap, but only got one of the two Inferno sacs that I needed. :(

• Advertisement

There's a nice recipe for flambéed frenzied omlettes that could be satisfying ager such exertion! :D

I thought I had gotten lucky at the start of the quest and that the Rathalos hadn't even spawned yet because I wasn't seeing his little shape on my map. Then I realised that I actually DIDN'T have detect on this set. The choice was Detect and AuS or just AuM, and I guess I choose the damage.

I ran around happily mining until I got to area 4 and recruited my 4th stealing catch which unlocks "Stealth" which makes Monsters target my cats less. I actually DON'T want this as a gunner so I'm gonna keep running 3 stealing cats until I can run the full 5 for increased stealing chance.

In area 4 I also got some Psychoserum from the veggie elder. I took a little drink and saw a dot appear on my map. Along with a second dot in a different area.

Two dots....

I was wrong about the quest, it was not to "Deliver three Frenzied Wyvern eggs, while a Frenzied Rathalos Frenzies some Frenzy" it was infact "Deliver three Frenzied Wyvern eggs, while a Frenzied Rathalos and a Frenzied Rathian frenzily frenzy my face(y)"

Rathalos was the only thing in the subquest, but I was foolish to assume that meant he would be the only monster I'd fight.

I found Rathian first and got caught unluckily early by two tail flips in a row, leaving me dead.

At this point I realised I should really put Max Potions in my item set, because I woke up in base camp with pathetically low max HP.

I combined together more power coatings and set back out to find my Wyverns.

Even though Rathalos was the subquest reward and would provide valuable supply items upon his death, I stubbornly kept going after the Rathian.

They kept trying to pair up and fight me as a team, but I had fortunately solved my item set problem of bringing dung to a quest instead of dung bombs, and was able to keep them se-poo-rated.

Rathian limped away with a broken back (not face unfortunately) and I followed and capped her.

I had only brought one trap though, so Rathalos would have to die.

While fighting Rathalos I took a poison claw to the face and lost half my health.

I took an antidote, then took an immuniser to regen the red health faster.

"Rathalos is about to shoot a fireball to my left" I thought "As soon as he misses and I know it's safe, I'll take a potion".

Instead I took the fireball, died, and ended up back in base camp. On my final life.

"Well this is going unexpectedly badly"

I dusted myself off at basecamp, was a little disappointed to see there was still no extra supply items in the blue box, just the torch and mini-whetstones I almost never take (but sometimes accidentally do like an idiot ffs).

I battered Rathalos around a bit more and ran out of power coatings. At least he offset this and dropped some shinies. Actually, here's another grievence: I got these bastards to drop two shines each, and here were my rewards:

Shiny 1: Wyvern Tear
    Shiny 2: Wyvern Tear
    Shiny 3: Wyvern Tear
    Shiny 4: Rathalos Scale

Anyway, he limped off to his nest, and I, without any traps, scrolled through my inventory for any useful supply items, and found I had two Supply BBL.

Granted they weren't as powerful as my regular LBB+, but they were a lot more free, and I'm trying to save up money now that Powercharm and Armorcharm have randomly appeared in my shop (Priced at 36k and 24k respectively).

I felt a little like maybe I was taking an unnecessary risk by not going for the more damaging expensive bombs, especially with 2 carts under my belt but what the hell.

I dropped the supply bombs by his sleeping head, chucked a tranq bomb at them (because I wanted to quickly attempt a mount if it didn't kill), they exploded and he died.

Quest complete!

....or not...

...why isn't the quest complete....?

That's when I remembered that this whole bloody thing was an egg delivery quest, and I had delivered exactly zero eggs.

This is also when I realised that I had eaten for Felyne Temper. For damage.

Not Felyne Lander, for jumping safely around with eggs.

Goddamn it all.

So what followed was three fairly uneventful trips of me running back to basecamp with eggs, gingerly climbing down walls, weaving in and out of tiny monsters, and all the while wondering where these giant damn rocks are coming from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34-_IhDrnbE

Finishing the quest did net me upgraded dairy in the kitchen, giving blessed access to three star ingredients, which my health badly needed.

After that I did the Frenzied Nerscylla/Gypceros, where I opted for RF fire LBG to not run out of primary ammo, but still ran out of primary ammo anyway, and ended up finish the quest with Normal 2s. Luckily at the kitchen I got a rare felyne temper WITH sharpshooter, so my damage was fine.

Beating this quest unlocked caravan low rank Brachydios, which on the one hand is kind of exciting, on the other hand means I still have a lot of weapon farming in my future, cos brachy's stuff is always awesome.
    Got about halfway through taking the Pink Rathalos down one more time on my morning break without any major problems. Hopefully meet my quota of Inferno sacs after this one!

[edit]
    Put her to sleep in a nice comfy shock trap, but only got one of the two Inferno sacs that I needed. :(

Nice Star Lord. Kinda off topic, but isn't it great to be able to partially do long quests across multiple breaks due to the incredible convenience offered by the 3DS's sleep mode.

This is why I've been a giant fan of portable gaming since I got my first Gameboy as a young lad, and why I nowadays get virtually all of my gaming done portably.

...So what followed was three fairly uneventful trips of me running back to basecamp with eggs, gingerly climbing down walls, weaving in and out of tiny monsters, and all the while wondering where these giant damn rocks are coming from.
    I remember telling you guys while I was doing that quest! I thought "Right, I know the rocks are going to block the paths after I go through them, so I'll take the longest route first."

The b*****ds still blocked the shortest path first... :mad:

And I got sniped by a feckin remobras while mid-air with an egg!

[edit]Yup, was here! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99775222
    Nice Star Lord. Kinda off topic, but isn't it great to be able to partially do long quests across multiple breaks due to the incredible convenience offered by the 3DS's sleep mode.

This is why I've been a giant fan of portable gaming since I got my first Gameboy as a young lad, and why I nowadays get virtually all of my gaming done portably.
    Yeah, it's brilliant! Love it! Hate when you do that and it dies in your pocket before you can get home to charge it though!!!

So while misses at work i managed to play a bit.

Found a room with a few lads in they had colourful feast quest on. Well my luck. I bet we will cart like skittles left right amd centre.
    To my surprise we did amd on first run I got 2 Seregios lenses and 1 zinogre sky emerald. I think I used out all my good luck tokens for the year. :pac:
    Our party was really damn good. We did quest 7 times and actually completed it 5 times! Both wipes were instant and very funny. Amd when we on the ball we just steam rolled quest.
    It was enough for me to have all special tickets, all parts needed for full set to make star knight, the only thing that's left is 5 damn immemsiness tickets... After 5 apex Diablos I got only one ffs... Nerd rage intensifies!!!
    Looks like the hardest part only begins. :(

Played a bit more last night, would have played more, but got died from awesome group. :(
    They were Al very chatty and good crack. We killed chamelios ( I think it is called), then did one more apex Diablos and he droped two tickets! So 2 more left for full star knight. Did gogmio or what's it's called. And that mother fecker is damn damage sponge! Love it's design and looks, but God he has some one shot hits. Makes even harder when fight is so long.
    They wanted to do white fatalis, but I could not due to low g rank. :( So I said I will leave and they cam get someone else, I did not wanted to hold them back. Instead they just told me not to leave and stay, our team had great hunts. After that they just said that will do key quests for me, but I got dced for some reason. It was already late, I decided to go sleep. :(

Highlight is for me from last night ( outside of great friendly hunting party) was chamelios. I don't know why, but I just love the monster. It looks cool, it's mechanics cool. I kind of felt sad taking him down. :(

Going to party with misses tonight, so no hinting for most of weekend.

So I beat the Frenzied Zinogre which unlocked nothing, then beat the Brachydios which unlocked a Frenzied Brachydios Tradable parts quest.

Killing Brachy as expected made a bunch of fantastic armour and weapons appear in my shop. I'm going to be fighting this bollocks for a while to make his Bow, LBG and HBG. Not gonna mess around with multiple armoursets though.

I beat the tradable parts Frenzied Brachydios which unlocked LR Diablos gear in my shop.

Anybody who's played any MH game knows that Diablos gear is generally always the best for Greatswords and Pierce HBGing, and this stuff looks no different.

Pierce Up, Loading and Quick Sheath is really good, but I already had my heart set on the ridiculous gimmick of using the Dah'ran Mohran unscathed set, so I'm gonna stick with that and just make the Diablos HBG. But that means I need to kill EVEN MORE Brachydios.

This means I'll technically be making 4 weapons out of Brachydios parts. That's a record for this character.

From a quest perspective beating the Frenzied Brachydios unlocked........ NOTHING.

That's it. I did it. I beat all the LR caravan quests without touching high rank! :D

I put up a bucketload of Miiverse screenshots to mark the occasion (I might post some later), went and did a bunch of the other LR DLC Events for fun (Kill many Felynes, Kill Tiny Kut Ku etc etc) and then got back to the serious business of trying to farm Rathalos and Rathian plates.

I did "Two Live Crew" (Los and Ian together) a bunch of times with zero luck. In between I was obviously maintaining my Wycoon, Sunsnug Island, Maximeld talismans and Hunters for Hire.

Then to my surprise, my nephew's character returned from HIS hunter for hire mission to fight a Rathalos and Rathian, and just handed me a goddamn Rathian Plate.

Yo, thanks.

The student has become the master.

With Rathian down, I looked up what the best quest was for Rathalos-only plate farming, and Kironico pointed to the last LR DLC event quest, which looks like Double Frenzied Rathalos, but is actually one frenzied and one regular.

I beat this a bunch of times with various weapons and had no success.

Then I fell into the logic trap of blindly following %s without considering the other factors

"I'm only breaking these Rathaloses faces, backs, getting shines and capping. Every time I do this quest and don't bother to cut their tails I am LEAVING Rathalos plates on the table. I have no problems killing them with whatever weapon, I'll just bring the Grenade Launcher+ and cut their tales plus everything I've already been doing, that way I'm swimming in % chances."

What I failed to consider though, was that there's some maths behind the fact that if I can beat a quest repeatedly quickly and easily; I have a good chance of eventually getting a plate; rather than purposefully pursuing a slower course of action that extra 4% tail carve.

I was already slumming it damage wise by bringing an Autotracker, Capture Guru, Attack UP S set (courtesy of a Psychic +7 talisman I recently got from Maximeld).

That's a big damage drop from my AuXL set, but I felt like it was worth it, since I save time with Autotracker finding the monsters and not messing around with paintballs, and I want Cap Guru since you can't carve plates from dead bodies.

Worst again is the fact that this is a gathering hall quest, so I do less damage to the monsters anyway.

But then to make that worse again the Grenade Launcher+ is a pretty weak LBG that can ONLY rapid fire Slicing shots.

So I was missing out on second-to-second damage by taking my time lining up my shots and being careful to hit the tail, rather than just relentlessly attacking. And then when I got the tail off I had to switch to a different bullet, but that LBG doesn't rapid fire anything else, so nothing did good damage.

On this run it seemed to take me a ridiculously long time to cut the first Rathalos tail (had to combine extra slicing shots to even manage that), and even longer to kill him. Then when I engaged the second rathlos I saw a message pop up on my screen that I don't think I've ever seen on this character before.

"10 minute remaining"

I tried my best to cut his tail or break ANYTHING; but I didn't manage any of that, and pathetically slinked away via subquest when it got to the final minute of the quest.

It's a lesson learned though.

From now on, rather than trying to get every optimised part of the Rathalos, I'm just going to do what I SHOULD have done, and combine my Autotracker/Cap Guru set with my single most powerful weapon and go for the fastest kill I can.

If I can manage some face and back breaks along the way, great.

If not, it's no biggie, I'm putting my faith in speed and quest rewards.

Hopefully others can learn from my folly.

Didn't get any hunting time over the weekend, but gonna try for the last inferno sacs at lunch time.
    C'mere lil' pinky, you know you like the taste of my tranq bombs!!!

• Advertisement

Pinky didn't like my tranq bombs, let her rest up twice, and both times she awoke rather narked to see me approaching to lay my trap! Ended up just killing her instead, but I did get a carve of an inferno sac, and two more in the rewards, so now I'm looking pretty in pink Rathian charge blade!

Almost though it finally became my blog. :D

I had a good hangover bed time on Sunday with my 3ds. Managed to actually build a star knight set. Thing is, I don't really have much use for it yet and my Lance Seregios build is damn good.

I did a nice set off that star knight:

Evade +2 ( lost Evade 3 :( )
    Handicraft
    Edge lore
    Mounting
    spirit aka challenger +2

It's very decent Lance set, but I have no elemental Lances. Stupidly I finally discovered how the greyed out element looks like by making t. Zamtrios Lance and after first fight seeing that I don't do any paralysis damage. So paralysis was actually greyed out.
    So yeah, feel like a complete idiot after playing 170h and seeing that lol. Turns out there are so damn many weapon s with hidden element! Actually annoying! Free element skill is kind of important for some weapons builds.

I started from scratch dios Lance at lever 3, i got needed low rank qs amd mamaged to get it up to rank 7. I just need few non rare parts from g rank Brachydios and I will have rank 9 dios Lance! Can't wait!

With Nintendo online down all day, I could not hunt for Brachydios parts. :( ah maybe tonight.

Sorry I've been quiet, mostly just unsucessfully farming Rathalos plates, and when that's done I'll need to kill Dah'ran Mohran a few more times just for common parts. Not very exciting.

My missus has gotten back into Pokemon X, so that has inclinded me towards replaying my copy of Y.

There is a thing I like to do with completed Pokemon games I call "Planned Playthoughs", this is where I decide in advance who my 6 Pokemon will be, get them as eggs or below level 5, trade them over to a fresh file, and only use those for the run. I've done some brokenly fun runs in the past where I've used Legendaries like Lv.1 Manaphy (from Pokemon Ranger) or Lv.5 Jirachi (from Pokemon Channel) who I've had lying around for literally years.

One time I used a Poison Heal (recovers 1/8th max heal each turn while poisoned) Breloom who was mostly holding a Toxic Orb (to poison himself) but otherwise held a leftovers (more healing) who also knew Leech Seed (More healing), Giga Drain (More healing), Spore (100% Sleep chance) and Facade (140 base power if inflicted with a status, which he always was). He'd have been a completely unkillable monster if not from the fact he took quadruple damage from flying attacks, and everyone and his mother can learn Aerial Ace. Nonsense like that amuses me, so I've thrown together a team of 6 gimmicky pokemon to see how I get on. It's a little easier to play on my lunch than Monster Hunter, since it's turn based, but it's not even remotely as much fun.

Also Miiverse screenshots are disabled in Pokemon. That's really stupid.

I did however play my main Monster Hunter character briefly for the first time in months. I saw someone posting on Reddit saying that when capturing monsters you always need a trap, UNLESS you can put a monster into a "trap like state", like with when you Sonic Bomb a Diablos. In THOSE situations, they claim, you do not need a trap.

"WTF is this?" I said to myself "I've been hunting Diablos for literally 4 games now, and I never knew this. By god though, I am not taking some random's word for it on the internet."

Grabbed my cap set (Capture God, Partbreaker, Auto Tracker, Divine Blessing), ate for Felyne specialist and set out to Capture HR Caravan Monoblos.

4 minutes in he was flashing on the map, so I stopped attacking to wait for him to burrow while not enraged.

Three minute later, he did so, I threw a sonic bomb. He popped up flailing in a "trap-like-state". I threw two tranqs. Nothing.

Third Tranq. Nothing.

He left to the hole, I dropped a shock trap. He landed in it. Nothing.

Fourth tranq. Captured.

Final analysis: Capping Diablos and Monoblos with only Sonic Bombs is a big pile of crap, and don't believe anything anyone tells you about monster hunter unless you test it yourself.
    Unless that person is me. :P

I'd realized that I never got a non-urgent mission with Shagaru Magala, so I went looking, and found I'd never done the one open mission I had left on 6* caravan, which was to take down a Frenzied Zamtrios and a Frenzied Tetsucabra. Took them both out with ease, and went back to report in to the cowardly Felyne, who had another mission for me, Frenzied Iodrome and Gore Magala. The Iodrome was nuts, moving like it'd taken a load of red bull combined with application of deep heat to it's nether regions... I've never seen a monster move like it did! Took it down easily enough, and broke it's head with a nice shield shot (can't remember what you call that move...) and the Gore Magala took a little bit more effort, but also fell with ease (after I abandoned it half way through to go look for more whetstones!)

Still no shagaru, or other missions. I'll have to check what the triggers for those are!

Still no shagaru, or other missions. I'll have to check what the triggers for those are!

At my level, I think there was just one Shaggy mission. So I'm not sure what you would need for another to appear.

The urgent itself is called "Advanced: Heaven's Wheel" I think, and since it's Advanced it just cycles in and out randomly once you've completed it.

If you're just after LR Shaggy parts, quiting and reloading your file cycles advanced quests, so you can find it that way.

If you specifically want a different quest, I dunno what you need (other than being a higher HR than me).

• Advertisement

I wanted to try farm it for some of those tasty parts to upgrade my Gore weapon! :D

Didn't know that about the Advanced missions, so I'll have to check that, and on looking I remember the green lady mentioning the "Whole Lava Love" mission, but never did it, perhaps I just needed to check the Urgent missions!!!

I wanted to try farm it for some of those tasty parts to upgrade my Gore weapon! :D

Didn't know that about the Advanced missions, so I'll have to check that, and on looking I remember the green lady mentioning the "Whole Lava Love" mission, but never did it, perhaps I just needed to check the Urgent missions!!!

Since that was very recent in my file i can tell you that Whole Lava Love unlocks a Frenzied Brachydios tradable parts quest to get LR Diablos stuff. Nothing else.

Yeah, how advanced quests populate is truly random, you just need to load your file, check it's there, and if it's not, quit (whether you save or not doesn't matter), reload again, and different quests will be there.

This is distinct from kitchen food bonuses which are predetermined: If you are aiming for a specific fixed kitchen skill and don't get it, you will never get it no matter how many times you reload.

What you need to do in that situation is depart on a quest, complete or abandon it, then eat at the kitchen once you're back in town.

Since that was very recent in my file i can tell you that Whole Lava Love unlocks a Frenzied Brachydios tradable parts quest to get LR Diablos stuff. Nothing else.

Looking at the MH Wikia, looks like we've the following:
    Whole Lava Love - Brachydios
    -[HR4] Hammer it out (Tetsucabra)
    --
    [HR5] Hammer it home (Gravios)
    ---
    [HR6] Advanced: Tigrex Challenge (Brute Tigrex)
    ---[HR7] URGENT: Advanced: Deep Trouble (Teostra)
    -Advanced: Dragon's Din (Frenzied Brachydios)

Oh cool, I guess those middle quests will appear if/when I advance my multiplayer rank.

Doublepost because: Rebel.

Rathalos plate farming is getting me down. I had a bad run earlier where I grabbed what I thought was the correct itemset for the job, but then realised into the quest that it was one of my stupid old ones that had "Dung" instead of "Dung Bombs", as well as no antidotes or Herbal meds, which is frustrating on a double Rathalos quest.

After capping the first Rathalos, and making the second limp away, I had a very annoying moment where in the area right before the nest I was thinking

"Hmm, better make sure I have my shock trap selected and my tranq shots loaded in my gun ready to go"

Then I notice my character rummaging around on the ground instead of reloading his gun.

"Oh that's weird. Did I press a wrong button? What's my character doing? Is he gathering?"

*Character places shock trap*

"Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu"

What followed for the next 10 minutes was me gently kicking the sleeping Frenzied Rathalos awake and trying to get it to follow me back to the previous area for the cap. I even tried hitting it with paintballs to wake it and then furiously steal a Wyvern egg and try to run away with it before it roars and I drop the egg; so that it follows me out of area.

During all this nonsense I even got killed, and dropped to below 10 minute of quest time.

Eventually I did manage to coax it back to the same area with the shock trap, but it wasn't touching the ground.

Then right before it landed where I wanted it to, the trap self destructed.

"Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu"

I let it leave and sleep, and thought a volley of siege fired Pierce 2 would be enough to kill it, but it woke up, attacked and nearly killed me a second time.

Final quest time was something stupid like 46 minutes, and the quest rewards?

Not a single plate.

It's moments like these that make me want to stop playing this alt altogether and just relax with bloody Pokemon until Generations drops.

Doublepost because: Rebel.

Rathalos plate farming is getting me down. I had a bad run earlier where I grabbed what I thought was the correct itemset for the job, but then realised into the quest that it was one of my stupid old ones that had "Dung" instead of "Dung Bombs", as well as no antidotes or Herbal meds, which is frustrating on a double Rathalos quest.

After capping the first Rathalos, and making the second limp away, I had a very annoying moment where in the area right before the nest I was thinking

"Hmm, better make sure I have my shock trap selected and my tranq shots loaded in my gun ready to go"

Then I notice my character rummaging around on the ground instead of reloading his gun.

"Oh that's weird. Did I press a wrong button? What's my character doing? Is he gathering?"

*Character places shock trap*

"Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu"

What followed for the next 10 minutes was me gently kicking the sleeping Frenzied Rathalos awake and trying to get it to follow me back to the previous area for the cap. I even tried hitting it with paintballs to wake it and then furiously steal a Wyvern egg and try to run away with it before it roars and I drop the egg; so that it follows me out of area.

During all this nonsense I even got killed, and dropped to below 10 minute of quest time.

Eventually I did manage to coax it back to the same area with the shock trap, but it wasn't touching the ground.

Then right before it landed where I wanted it to, the trap self destructed.

"Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu"

I let it leave and sleep, and thought a volley of siege fired Pierce 2 would be enough to kill it, but it woke up, attacked and nearly killed me a second time.

Final quest time was something stupid like 46 minutes, and the quest rewards?

Not a single plate.

It's moments like these that make me want to stop playing this alt altogether and just relax with bloody Pokemon until Generations drops.

Oh the irony.i told you before: I don't even thing such thing as rathalos or rathian plate exist. I now just check upgrade paths of weapons and if I see it mentioned it just gets scrapped.
    I killed my share of those flying bastards in 3u and 4u. Its still a myth. I got like 5 Seregios lenses, 4 zinogre emeralds. I got even elder dragon gem already...

My story kind of similar to yours. I got pissed off with g rank Brachydios. Killed 3 and not a single one droped pounder+, which is 59% chance if you break front legs. Finding Brachydios groups is another **** story. Fighting it as lancers is hard too.
    I kind of got really pissed off with it so last night I took out pokemon ruby or wtf it's called and fired it up. Poked my pokemon virginity amd I have no clue wtf am I doing after 3 hours in. Checked noob guides online amd feck all. Only super duper competitive stuff. I Want to learn wall before run lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I....uh.... I got a Rathian plate off my first Rathian.....

Sorry...

:D

Oh the irony.i told you before: I don't even thing such thing as rathalos or rathian plate exist. I now just check upgrade paths of weapons and if I see it mentioned it just gets scrapped.
    I killed my share of those flying bastards in 3u and 4u. Its still a myth. I got like 5 Seregios lenses, 4 zinogre emeralds. I got even elder dragon gem already...

My story kind of similar to yours. I got pissed off with g rank Brachydios. Killed 3 and not a single one droped pounder+, which is 59% chance if you break front legs. Finding Brachydios groups is another **** story. Fighting it as lancers is hard too.
    I kind of got really pissed off with it so last night I took out pokemon ruby or wtf it's called and fired it up. Poked my pokemon virginity amd I have no clue wtf am I doing after 3 hours in. Checked noob guides online amd feck all. Only super duper competitive stuff. I Want to learn wall before run lol.

If I checked all the Rathalos and Rathian upgrades for gun weapons, I may have already used one or two. It's just this ONE I need to make the Dayspring armour is what's eluding me.

The one monster carve that haunted my dreams was the Gobul Latern+ in Tri. I needed two to finish an upgrade to a hammer, and I was only ever able to get one, despite doing the quest over and over and over.

It was a 14% drop chance if you broke his Latern (which wasn't easy in that game).

I farmed everything else in that game, but just eventually had to give up on this one. Then the servers went down, so I could never finish that weapon.

Banjo wrote: »
    I....uh.... I got a Rathian plate off my first Rathian.....

Sorry...

:D

I got a Rathian plate from hunters for hire :P

That's not the one I'm after now though.

So after work I haven't played MH4 and played a bit more pokemon, though I Already miss monster hunting. :D
    Might play a bit today after work and try Brachydios again. I need to get that star knight set to damn work! Grief elemental or status Lance!

In other news: monster hunter generations is on smyths website. 45eu! Won't be going to gamestop paying 70eu so. :)
    Problem is it works out Friday release date. I don't know if I can get day off. :( I need that day off!!!

I tried my first Brachydios fight the other day (Whole Lava Love)...

I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't to have such a difficult fight! Failed out fairly hard to be perfectly honest! I'll have to try a bit more over the weekend, gotta learn those movement/attack patterns, and learn to predict it a little better!

• Advertisement

More dead Los, not more plates. Ho-hum.

I thought this quest was best numerically because my chances for breaks worked out like this

Face Break 1
    Face Break 2
    Back Break 1
    Back Break 2
    Capture 1
    Capture 2
    Shiny 1
    Shiny 2
    Shiny 3
    Shiny 4
    Quest Reward 1
    Quest Reward 2
    Quest Reward 3 (Yeah three, that's why I picked this quest, these are the highest % in a quest too)

So ignoring percentages, that's 13 opportunities for me to get a plate per quest.

But it is a multiplayer quest. It's the most difficult special DLC quest I can do in the low rank gathering hall, and it takes me a solid 30 minutes to beat every time. So that is, if I am doing the maths correctly here and stop me if I'm not: 15 minutes per Los.

Maybe it's time for me to pick a super easy caravan quest with one only Los, where I can beat it in less than 15 minutes while ALSO getting the tail carve with a crappy gun. If I can get 7 or 8 plate opportunities in less than 15 minutes, then it makes more sense to do more quicker runs in lunch window.

Or I could fk it off and just play Pokemon.
    So after work I haven't played MH4 and played a bit more pokemon, though I Already miss monster hunting. :D
    Might play a bit today after work and try Brachydios again. I need to get that star knight set to damn work! Grief elemental or status Lance!

In other news: monster hunter generations is on smyths website. 45eu! Won't be going to gamestop paying 70eu so. :)
    Problem is it works out Friday release date. I don't know if I can get day off. :( I need that day off!!!

How are you liking the Star Knight so far? It's an obscenely versitale set imo. If you have a Handicraft +6 charm with slots you have a lot of freedom to add in 2 or 3 other skills of your choosing.

Or if you want to drop handicraft altogher and double-down on extra skills you can do that too.

The incredibly defense and all-around elemental resistance don't hurt either.
    I tried my first Brachydios fight the other day (Whole Lava Love)...

I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't to have such a difficult fight! Failed out fairly hard to be perfectly honest! I'll have to try a bit more over the weekend, gotta learn those movement/attack patterns, and learn to predict it a little better!

There's no shame in dying to Brachydios. My first time fighting him was my first triple cart in MH3U.

Also blocking/countering is really poor against him, so for the famous "Sticky Situation" urgent in MH3U where you had to fight two at once, I ended up just dropping my beloved Lance altogether to use the Water Longsword gifted to me by the Argosy Captain. I managed to overcome the quest that way, but it was the only time in my memory of any monster hunter games where I felt like I HAD to switch away from my best weapon.

One thing I used to do regularly in my early MH3U days was flash bomb him when he enrages, just to ease up the pressure on myself a little.

I haven't done that in 4U, so I'm uncertain of it would help much, but there's no harm in trying it.

Also roll three times or use a deoderant to get rid of the blastblight. Don't get hit by another blast enducing attack while you have the blight, or you'll take massive doubel damage.

Also roll three times or use a deoderant to get rid of the blastblight. Don't get hit by another blast enducing attack while you have the blight, or you'll take massive doubel damage.

Pretty sure that's what happened to me twice, and I was left totally dumbfounded at how I just took so much damage from an apparent single hit...
    :eek: :confused::o:(

Pretty sure that's what happened to me twice, and I was left totally dumbfounded at how I just took so much damage from an apparent single hit...
    :eek: :confused::o:(

Yeah that's it. I think he's even a little nerfed since 3U. I believe he used to be able to either inflict and/or detonate an existing blastblight THROUGH a blocking shield, so you can imagine my shock as a dedicated counter-lancer being functionally helpless and very very dead.

Best thing to get you through the hard times Star Lord: 1 Biology jewel = 2 points in the Bio skill.

10 points in the Bio skill = Immunity from blastblight (and 100% dung bomb combine rate and increased dung bomb effectiveness).

It's easy to gem into any set, and makes blast blighting monsters a lot less stressful to fight.

Finding my AUL and Autotracker too convenient I guess, may have to go without them for a while, and just bring some psychoserums and attack booster consumables instead!!!

Finding my AUL and Autotracker too convenient I guess, may have to go without them for a while, and just bring some psychoserums and attack booster consumables instead!!!

Maybe yeah, for just this quest you can priortising killing Brachydios and not being killed by Brachydios over FINDING Brachydios.

I don't want to seem like I am repeating myself thousands of times over, but the attack buffs of the drugs/kitchen are very inferior to the one you get from armourskills, but do stack with them. Ideally you should always have both.

So dropping an attack skill for a bio skill but supplementing them with attack booster consumables will still result in a considerable attack drop.

If you need to drop anything, leave off the points in Psychic and be liberal with throwing paintballs.

Maybe yeah, for just this quest you can priortising killing Brachydios and not being killed by Brachydios over FINDING Brachydios.

I don't want to seem like I am repeating myself thousands of times over, but the attack buffs of the drugs/kitchen are very inferior to the one you get from armourskills, but do stack with them. Ideally you should always have both.

So dropping an attack skill for a bio skill but supplementing them with attack booster consumables will still result in a considerable attack drop.

If you need to drop anything, leave off the points in Psychic and be liberal with throwing paintballs.

From good old wow days:

High dps is great, but no matter how much dps you can do, you **** all good dead.

If having issues with Brachydios, then sacrificing dps for bio is a must. What's the point of higher damage if you get one shoted.

Wait for g rank Brachydios guys, that's a shot storm all together.
    My very first meet with Brachydios was high rank frenzied caravan. I skipped low rank one. He just does not have any openings at all. Slow hitting weapons amd Lances are just useless. I was chipping away at him with sword mode CB and killed him only by luck with no potions left on me.

Looks like I booked off 15th now. Will have to do baby sit too, but I will bribe a child with lots of chocolate to leave me alone upstairs surrounded by red bulls, snacks and 3ds in my hand. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

Everything I lurk onto boards, I see this thread, and it makes me wanna play MH4U again >.> Only rank 3 though or something online, I best get playing before Generations comes out.. :L

Haven't played in few days and tried a bit last night after work, but it all ended without a single hunt.
    Spent a lot of time looking for Brachydios hunts, then gave up and just looked for anything to hunt before bed. It all ended up crapy as by the looks of it not many people playing right now so close to mhx and those who play are just pure elitist. I got kicked as soon as connected. My G3 72hr rank is not good enough. I gave up as I just was too tired and had to wake up for work in 4 hours again.

15th can't get any faster now. It really damn drags. :(

Here is the long promised picture spam of Miiverse screenshots from when I beat every LR quest on my gun alt.

Weapon use stats:
    WVW69jVV5lgh4dl90D

Palico usage screenshot:
    WVW69jVV6qURu9LLef

Award Stats:
    WVW69jVV8zYGsDoxCo

Quest stats:
    WVW69jVV4qchhPoCAa

LR quest screenshot:
    WVW69jVV1e4q5DzIzn

Urgent quest screenshot:
    WVW69jVV4eorF1h9G3

lol @ 1% G-Rank progress for some reason. I'll be sure to bombard you guys with words tomorrow when I have a bit more time :P

• Advertisement

LR quest screenshot:
    WVW69jVV1e4q5DzIzn

The grey tick on 6* really annoyed me, hate that they've quests hidden in there that only open up at specified HR levels!

Advertisement