Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monster Hunter Boardsie Caravan Ultimate Generations X G

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Can you add people to friends from G cards? I got his G card, but not in friends. :(

No idea man. I can't answer any questions about online. I didn't even know you couldn't type during quests until I hear other people moaning about it.
    Getting S.Zinogre GS is way faster and easier and it does have Dragon elemental.

As mentioned with the damage discussion, element is not super important on GS if you're primarily going for the Lv.3 charges. I think on my main file I just have the rusted/weathered upgraded GS (cos they look badass), the Diablos GS (needs Sharpness+1), Seregios GS (Doesn't use Sharpness+1, tiny purple), Nerscylla Subspecies (Decent Sleep amount when awakened) and Last Boss of G-Rank GS (Doesn't use Sharpness+1, decent white, tiny amount of sleep element).

I originally started listing GSes in my head because I was sure I only had like two, but it's closer to 8 or 9. Derp.
    But still my only elemental GSes are the dragon ones you make from plugging a thousand earth crystals into them, and I don't use those in combat, I just keep them because they're pretty.

My other ones are basically for using Shapness+1, Not using Sharpness+1 and/or going for a very particular break (Sleep).
    On other note: I did 10 star caravan quest of Frenzied S. Zinogre and Seregios. It was a bitch with two faints, but still one shoted it. What is more interesting, that I unlocked Molten Tigris. I need very generic parts to upgrade my my Seregios CB to rank 7! Problem is that I REALLY love my GS and its a lot more rewarding to play, even if it is harder ( we all know CB is OP as **** :) ). On top of that if I would go for CB again it would make my Handicraft and Attack XL Set useless. I put a lot of recourses and hardened armour spheres in to it, that cant be replaced before G rank.

Good job getting to Molten Tigrex. I think that only unlocks when you've basically beaten every possible caravan quest, so you're being excellently thorough.

I can't imagine you have Handicraft points on every part of your current set. If you're willing to drop in defense I'm sure you could easily make another set by just dropping some parts with handicraft and substituting in something else for another useful skill. When I made my ghetto HR Gunner gear on my main file, all the armourpieces were the same, but between the LBG, HBG and Bow sets, I'd just change the trousers and talisman. So for you then you could have one set for Handicraftable weapons, and another for Seregios/Nerscylla/Other weapons specifically. Keep your attack up XL, or L, but maybe drop down in attack power so you can add in something else useful

For example:
    For GS: Crit Draw, Focus
    For CB: Artillery Novice (Boost phial damage), Guard+ 1/2 (for guard pointing)

Or even defensively, if you're going to be farming Molten Tigrex (I needed a crap-load of his parts on my main file), just gem in Bio Researcher so he can't blastblight you, and you'll have a much easier time fighting him.

Hell, you could even just do what a friend of mine does, much to my annoyance, and use Sharpness+1 with Seregios weapons, while not caring you have a really expensive skill greyed out on your status screen :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

**** moten tigrex, that is all. Well maybe two more things:

1. I have never been carted so quick, like going in to arena and carted took about 10 seconds from full 140hp.
    2. I did not killed it. Will need to come back to it.

Played online all day. I hit hr7 and did good few hr6 quests helping others. Was fun. Now I got really comfortable with online. Loving it so far when got a good group. And when I mean good group I mean not just g rank over geared people, but people who really give it a good go.

I am really craving for a new armour set. I am between full A. Rathalos or full Lagiacrus.

Full A. Rathalos:
    expert
    Hearing
    Sharpness

Not ideal GS set, but good armour, ear plugsa sharpness. Expert better then nothing. Will have to use attack food then as I won't have attack skill. Good point is that it's easy for me to make, just need few more scales.

Full Lagiacrus :
    Free element
    Tenderizor
    Fastcharge

This set is more GS friendly and focus will be very handy. I just don't know how free element works. Will it give extra element if you got one already? Or is it useless if you got element on weapon already.
    Problem with this set: rathalos plate... I heard such item exist... I never sow it myself. Its lie a fecking unicorn!!! Will need some more a.rathalos parts and b.gravios, but those two are not issue.

Other then that, I decided to enjoy a bit more multiplayer. I it feels like cheating, but I like it now. I just what to see more content before generations out. One thing I know for sure. I'll be playing a lot of solo at start generations. Of anything to go by with mh4. Monster hunter online communities are very healthy even when title matures!

**** moten tigrex, that is all. Well maybe two more things:

1. I have never been carted so quick, like going in to arena and carted took about 10 seconds from full 140hp.
    2. I did not killed it. Will need to come back to it.

What did you use? Did you gem in Bio researcher etc etc
    I am really craving for a new armour set. I am between full A. Rathalos or full Lagiacrus.

Full A. Rathalos:
    expert
    Hearing
    Sharpness

Not ideal GS set, but good armour, ear plugsa sharpness. Expert better then nothing. Will have to use attack food then as I won't have attack skill. Good point is that it's easy for me to make, just need few more scales.

Full Lagiacrus :
    Free element
    Tenderizor
    Fastcharge

This set is more GS friendly and focus will be very handy. I just don't know how free element works. Will it give extra element if you got one already? Or is it useless if you got element on weapon already.
    Problem with this set: rathalos plate... I heard such item exist... I never sow it myself. Its lie a fecking unicorn!!! Will need some more a.rathalos parts and b.gravios, but those two are not issue.

Both of those are less than ideal. Also you didn't say how many points in each the full set gives you, so it's kinda hard to appraise how good the sets are without that. Still though I'm not convinced a full set is what you should be making at this point, are you using Athena's ass?

Free element just awakens the hidden element or status on a weapon, that is, anything already there that is greyed out. Simple as that.

If a weapon already has element available, or doesn't have hidden element, the skill does nothing.

Do you know though that the attack boost from armourskills is significantly higher than the attack boost from food, and that they stack right?

I made a chart about this way back in the MH Tri days that was so popular it's like properly internet famous.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjagoPlvYHNAhVCLMAKHSWAAhEQFggbMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gamefaqs.com%2Fwii%2F943655-monster-hunter-tri%2Ffaqs%2F62063&usg=AFQjCNGg2TJmaVOGAmtyVLN-sYKXL5S-qA&sig2=eWA4zA1-jBPI3LsC8yjisQ

It gets updated with every new game release by the faceless internet masses and shared on Imgur, but my name/credit has been taken off it for years :pac:

What did you use? Did you gem in Bio researcher etc etc

Both of those are less than ideal. Also you didn't say how many points in each the full set gives you, so it's kinda hard to appraise how good the sets are without that. Still though I'm not convinced a full set is what you should be making at this point, are you using Athena's ass?

Free element just awakens the hidden element or status on a weapon, that is, anything already there that is greyed out. Simple as that.

If a weapon already has element available, or doesn't have hidden element, the skill does nothing.

Do you know though that the attack boost from armourskills is significantly higher than the attack boost from food, and that they stack right?

I made a chart about this way back in the MH Tri days that was so popular it's like properly internet famous.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjagoPlvYHNAhVCLMAKHSWAAhEQFggbMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gamefaqs.com%2Fwii%2F943655-monster-hunter-tri%2Ffaqs%2F62063&usg=AFQjCNGg2TJmaVOGAmtyVLN-sYKXL5S-qA&sig2=eWA4zA1-jBPI3LsC8yjisQ

It gets updated with every new game release by the faceless internet masses and shared on Imgur, but my name/credit has been taken off it for years :pac:

No bioresearch. I just went in to see what it is as I always do. Pretty much pants down approach. :) So far it worked until M. Tigrex.

I know they are not ideal, but I want some shiny. More Def would be handy as I tried fighting with some other G rank hunter a G.h. hr7 monster ( some kind of flying lion with fire beam breath ) and we almost killed it, but clearly my gear is lacking behind.

I am still using my ghetto mix armour which gives: Attack (XL) and Sharpness +1, slotted in Half stun, but have negative paralysis, which does not bother me.

Where does this greyed out element appears? I never sow it. I presume its only good with weapons, which got only raw damage?

No bioresearch. I just went in to see what it is as I always do. Pretty much pants down approach. :) So far it worked until M. Tigrex.

Bio researcher would help a lot. Especially because if you have blast blight, AND then he hits you with a second attack which also afflicts blast blight, you will simultaneously take the full damage from the second attack, and the explosion from the first blight detonating. That's likely insta-death at your point in the game.
    I know they are not ideal, but I want some shiny. More Def would be handy as I tried fighting with some other G rank hunter a G.h. hr7 monster ( some kind of flying lion with fire beam breath ) and we almost killed it, but clearly my gear is lacking behind.

I am still using my ghetto mix armour which gives: Attack (XL) and Sharpness +1, slotted in Half stun, but have negative paralysis, which does not bother me.

That's Teostra, Elder Dragon (Manticore?) of Fire. Bio researcher would help a lot against this guy too.

Far be it from me to tell a man what to do with his carved monster parts. If you want a recommendation, of the two specific sets you suggested, based only on the information you've written here, I'd say that the Azure Rathalos is the better of the two for your purposes.
    Where does this greyed out element appears? I never sow it. I presume its only good with weapons, which got only raw damage?

Whether awakening a weapon is worth the effort of the very expensive awaken skill is a real case-by-case kinda thing.

In MH3U the Kelbi Bow was widely regarded as broken. Normally it was a crap 3 slot bow with mediocre raw. Awakened it got an obscene level of slime element added to it.

Slime was considerably nerfed when it became blastblight, so people aren't as bothered about it anymore.

If you want to see a weapon with greyed out element, the Kelbi bow is still in MH4U and has greyed out blast, go and look at the rare 3 bows the blacksmith can make.

• Advertisement

Oh, by the way. I though attack skill amd attack food does not stack. So it stacks after all?

Oh, by the way. I though attack skill amd attack food does not stack. So it stacks after all?

lol Jesus man, you're breaking my heart. My heart is figuratively breaking. It's broken.

Click on the link I posted a few posts up. It's a little out of date, but I literally lovingly crafted a (I hope) very clear graphical representation of this that should answer all your questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Wait... so the food you eat is important?

*waits for explosion*

Well, Fire Emblem has officially got it's hooks in me so I'll be bowing out of here for a while. If I don't see you all before Generations, have a good summer and thanks for all the info, hunter war stories and giggles :D

lol Jesus man, you're breaking my heart. My heart is figuratively breaking. It's broken.

Click on the link I posted a few posts up. It's a little out of date, but I literally lovingly crafted a (I hope) very clear graphical representation of this that should answer all your questions.

I didn't see it properly. Was not sure what I am looking at. Does it just shows how much multiplayer you get with specific setup. So attack food only gives multiplayer x5 but skill will give you x20? The max you can get is x25 with that pill? I don't see attack xl in there.

Anyway, played moe online. I am on hr7 urgent quest. 1 more q away from g rank. Unlocked a lot of rank 7 armour sets. Adamance plate from D.mohran looks interesting. Expert, crit draw, unshakable. Will be hard to farm it though...
    Actually I really don't enjoy all these boss type monsters with gimmicks. Urgent to go to g rank is bollox altogether.

Banjo wrote: »
    Wait... so the food you eat is important?

*waits for explosion*

Well, Fire Emblem has officially got it's hooks in me so I'll be bowing out of here for a while. If I don't see you all before Generations, have a good summer and thanks for all the info, hunter war stories and giggles :D

This is tragic. This represents a 25% loss of content to this thread.

Godspeed

*sniff*

Question for Starlord actually as a mod: When Generations comes out, will we need/want a new thread for that, or would it be better to rename this as a monster hunter general chat thread and keep stuff going?

4U and Generations is the closest two MH games have been release back to back in the West, and every game is basically infinitely replayable, I dunno what is a good precident for games like this.
    I didn't see it properly. Was not sure what I am looking at. Does it just shows how much multiplayer you get with specific setup. So attack food only gives multiplayer x5 but skill will give you x20? The max you can get is x25 with that pill? I don't see attack xl in there.

Anyway, played moe online. I am on hr7 urgent quest. 1 more q away from g rank. Unlocked a lot of rank 7 armour sets. Adamance plate from D.mohran looks interesting. Expert, crit draw, unshakable. Will be hard to farm it though...
    Actually I really don't enjoy all these boss type monsters with gimmicks. Urgent to go to g rank is bollox altogether.

Ironically, I can't look at the link I've linked you.

Look at the top half of the chart first, now I'm just speaking from memory, but it's easier to think of it not as a multiplier but as an addition(er?). These are just added to your attack power at the start of the damage formula, and everything is calculated from there.

So attack up large food gives +5, but attack up large armourskill gives +20. These are totally different bonuses so they stack and having both will give you +25.

The colours on the chart shows what does and doesn't stack together, for example Demondrug and Small Kitchen attack up give the same buff and don't stack, same with mega demondrug and large kitchen attack up.

The bottom half of the chart shows the actual multiplicative skills (Sharpness, Expert, Adrenaline, Heroics). These are the crazy big damage numbers that take your final damage number, and multiply them up by 20%/25%, which is crazy good.

Btw Attack up Xl gives +25 (it wasn't in the game when I made this).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Question for Starlord actually as a mod: When Generations comes out, will we need/want a new thread for that, or would it be better to rename this as a monster hunter general chat thread and keep stuff going?

Up to you guys really, either way could work!

Banjo,don't let me catch you, you little traitor!!! I'll skin you like Jaggi! You are hunter for life! Fire emblem is just a distraction!

Anyway, I am hr 39 and G1 now. :) The last monster we did two of us. Wasn't really hard fight, but monsters health pool is just freaking mad...
    Did 2 g rank quests before falling a sleep. Ash Kecha watcha and berserk tetsuchabra. Party of 3 and all freshly dinged g rank hunters. :) was fun! Not super hard yet.

I wonder if I even bother with hr armour sets now? Maybe I just skip them now and just work away with g rank?

My progress has been pretty slow over the last week, I've been outside enjoying this weird burning ball of gas in the sky.

I was frustrated that my "Bring a bow, sleep Gore Magala, Bomb his horns" trick hasn't resulted in me getting feelers since the first time I fought him, and the cutscene had him start with his feelers out that time.

So instead I just grabbed my highest attack power HBG which is good at firing Normal 2 (Rathian), popped a power barrel on there, ate for sharpshooter, and let Gore hit me with virus bombs before shooting him in the face an awful awful lot.

Can I just take this moment to moan more about how expensive gunning is? For every bowgun I am going to use on a quest, it would be stupid of me NOT to put a power barrel on every one. This usually costs a third of the price of forging the gun again. There might be some fringe cases at some point (it hasn't come up yet), where I might instead want a shield on a HBG to make reckless siege firing more viable, or where I might want a silencer on a LBG to counteract some recoil (multiplayer only), but even at that, no matter what attachment you add, it's going to cost the same. And god forbid you're going to swap back and forth between something like a shield and a power barrel and have to pay 33% of the forge cost every time.

Granted I could just NOT put power barrels on all the viable guns, but then I'm just leaving damage on the table. At that point I should just stop putting Attack Up on my armour and stop eating for Attack and extra bullet damage at the kitchen. The worst thing as well is that when you upgrade the gun, it loses whatever power barrel/shield/silencer you had on there. My only real money saving method is to not put enchancements on the guns that are very obviously piles of crap: For example, the Rare 1 Kut Ku LBG which doesn't rapid fire anything upgrades to ANOTHER Rare 1 Kut Ku LBG which doesn't rapid fire anything (you can make this upgrade right at the start of the game) and then to upgrade it further to Rare 3 you need Tigrex parts, which you won't come across for dozens of hours. That was a gun I was very confident not enchancing.

Anyway, done moaning, onto the Gore Magala fight: I wounded the feelers pretty quickly (Subquest complete), and broke them off entirely within 2 shoots of wounding them. I didn't actually know that was possible, I thought you needed him to go full virus mode twice for a full break.

Once that was done I murderised him pretty quickly, got my feelers, made the LBG, put some pictures on Miiverse because it looks very cool (I can't link to them unfortunately). This is all I plan to do with the LBG for now because it can't rapid fire anything, so I moved onto more quests.

The cowardly Palico asked me to fight double frenzied Khezu for him, so I brought the Rathalos bow and killed them in a little over 20 mins. That's a lot longer than I feel like it should have taken. The fight went fine, so I feel like it's just my lack of skill with bows dragging my time down combined with either my poor knowledge of khezu shot weakpoints or pierce bow optimal range.

After this quest I had enough bits to make the very creepy looking Khezu LBG which can rf thundershots AND be upgraded with Zinogre parts (who I already unlocked) so this seemed like a good weapon to pursue upgrading.

Because I still had the Rathalos pierce bow equipped, and I was too lazy to change gear, I fought Seltas Queen for the first time (Bigger monsters = easier to pierce). I actually found a bug (no pun intended) where the Seltas queen won't appear unless you walk into area 5, and the path I was taking around heaven's mount had me jump down from 4 to 5 a few times, which apparently doesn't activate the cutscene, and therefore doesn't spawn the monster, so I was knocking around the map for ages saying "Where the hell is she? Monsters don't roam the first time you fight them and I've been to every area twice!"

The fight was easy and fun. Pierce bow in the face is pretty effective against the Queen. She fell over a lot and dropped plenty of shinies.

After that quest I went back to check my weapons and upgraded my Nerscylla bow (which seems a bit crap tbh).

I also found I had unlocked two more quests: Fight a Tigrex (hey! Kut ku lbg upgrade!) or Fight a Frenzied Zamtrios and Lagombi (for the third Wycoon cart).

Whichever quest I do, and whatever weapon I do it with, I won't be using bow, because (another gunner class complaint) I ran out of power coatings and nitroshrooms to make more killing the Seltas queen. Going on a quest without them would be an unacceptable drop in damage. Power coating is a 50% damage boost, which is giant. It's basicially the purple sharpness of bows.

Power coatings aren't on sale in the shop, and even if they were I'm too poor to buy many. So it looks like I'm going to change back to LBG and HBG for the foreseeable future until I deplete my stockpile of those bullets, then I'll see how my economy does.

Star Lord wrote: »
    Up to you guys really, either way could work!

If this topic is still active when generations drops (and it seems like it will be), I don't see the harm in editing this one to be something like "Monster Hunter GENERATIONal Discussion" or something equally hilarious. It's easier for me personally to check 1 topic instead of 2, and all monster hunter advice applies equally across all games (10 points makes a skill, anything less does nothing etc etc).

The next time my other half gets the urge to play MH multiplayer, whether it's 3U or 4U, I'll probably post about it here anyway for the sake of keeping things neater.
    Banjo,don't let me catch you, you little traitor!!! I'll skin you like Jaggi! You are hunter for life! Fire emblem is just a distraction!

Anyway, I am hr 39 and G1 now. :) The last monster we did two of us. Wasn't really hard fight, but monsters health pool is just freaking mad...
    Did 2 g rank quests before falling a sleep. Ash Kecha watcha and berserk tetsuchabra. Party of 3 and all freshly dinged g rank hunters. :) was fun! Not super hard yet.

I wonder if I even bother with hr armour sets now? Maybe I just skip them now and just work away with g rank?

If you're in G, I wouldn't bother with HR gear. In other games it was totally viable to just keep low or high rank gear, and continue to armoursphere it up, but 4U's damage jump is too large between ranks, and the best armourspheres are too hard to get

Once you get to G3 you can make Star Knight, which for me immediately invalidated the need to have any other blademaster armour.

While you slog to G3, try to make as few new armours as you can manage with. Those monster parts are way better spent on weapons and decorations.

Of special mention as well is G-rank Seregios and Zinogre parts, which you will need a lot of to make Star Knight (including super-rare Lens and Skymeralds). If you have an opportunity to farm and hoard some parts before you get to G3, definitely hold onto them.

Are you slacking hunters?! Get back and kill some stuff!

Anyway, last few days did some relaxed online hunting. Just went to G1 hunt and chat rooms taking on all kind of quests. Got myself to hr41 amd just had fun. Its shocking how some monsters can go down with good group amd not over geared group. Had good few hunts with lads my gear and hr level.
    Still rocking same gear hehe. Nothing I kill in g rank makes gear I want. Going back to farm hr elder dragon's kind off meh. I will go back to it as I want to make weapons.
    So today will go hunt some more, but I am on babysitter sitting duties. So won't be much. On top of that I am working 6 days from tomorrow of 10-12h shifts so I'll be lucky to get even one hunt. :(

I love my GS switch and I don't want to go back to CB, but I really want to try out Lance or gun Lance. Me and some other lad were doing hr7 stuff amd he was sadomising elder dragon's with it amd barely getting hit. Would love to master something like this. Plus a change always fun. :)

lol Shadowhearth, I was holding out till someone else updated. I didn't want to be Billy No Mates doubleposting about my exploits.

Lance and Gunlance despite their names are very different weapons. The only common things about them is that they have good blocking, slow walkspeed, and can't roll (backhop and sidesteps only). Trust me, I'm really good with Lance, and poor to mediocre with Gunlance. Playstyles with one won't really carry over to the other, since they're good at different things. If I was you I'd try and get into one or the other, but doing both at once would be very confusing.

For my story: I decided to go fight a Tigrex rather than unlocking the third Wycoon cart (Frenzied Zamtrios and Lagombi), because I know from my gun upgrades that if I could get a Tigrex scalp, I could make a LBG to RF fire shots, which would make fighting all the ice monsters very easy.

Since I am completely out of power coatings for bows, I opted to bring my Rathian HBG and just pump Tigrex full of Normal 2 Shots. My gearset up at the moment is frustratingly slot dependant, and as follows:

If 0 weapon slots - Attack Up L
    If 1 weapon slot - Attack up XL
    If 2 weapon slots - Attack up XL, Half Stun

So I departed on that quest, not realising it was actually a Frenzied Tigrex. Kinda surprised the game makes you fight such a hard tigrex as your first exposure. Plotwise as well (based on NPC dialog) I think it's supposed to be the second Frenzied monster you fight, which is a big damn difficulty jump from that stupid Congalala.

Not much to report on. At one point I was sure I was going to die when he palmslapped some frenzy rocks at me while I was at low health. I tried to roll forward through them, but accidentally rolled sideways into them and...... didn't get hit? I dunno was it a weird thing about the rocks hitboxes, or is the sideways HBG roll more invunerable than I thought, but I definitely rolled sideways harmlessly through rocks flying straight at me.

It's worth mentioning as well that I'm thoroughly enjoying my 5 first stringer bomb cats, as they semi-regularly flinch monsters out of attacks, and annoy me way less than they did when I was a blademaster.

With Tigrex dead I was sad to see I didn't get that scalp for the fire LBG, and surprised to see that I had unlocked the Shaggy Magala urgent, and thought it would be fun to just jump straight into the quest without waiting to farm better weapons (he is weak to fire after all).

I guess that Yian Garuga urgent they gave me ages ago and I never bothered with wasn't that urgent after all?

I noticed as well once I spoke to all the village NPCs that there was a half price sale in the shop. "Please save my hometown and all my friends and family, I'll give you a ...... discount I regularly give you anyway", yeah thanks lady. So I posted my quest, ate at the kitchen, and spent the remainder of my money on 600 or so power coatings so that bows aren't left in the dust by better weapons. That might sound like a lot, but it would only really cover me for a dozen or so quests.

So I departed on the quest, and pretty quickly broke Shaggys horns. I guess that's the advantage of guns, you can really choose the order in which you break things. I mounted and toppled him twice, and he was dropping shinies like nobodies business.

I did die once, since he's pretty good at knocking you down, and setting up a load of virus explosions around your prone body to get back up into. I think I would have died a second time without half stun tbh, so I'm thankful for that.

I've only been bringing 10 Megapotions and 1 farcaster on all quests as means of recovery. No regular potions or honey or anything for my whole file, but I definitely hit a point against Shaggy where I thought "Damn, I am going to run out of Mega Potions, and out of Normal 2 bullets, this might be tight"

But then he died. So that was cool.
    Also carved a tail off his body. Didn't know that was possible.

So now my gun only solo only alt is high rank, which is pretty sweet.

As tempting as it is to barrel on ahead to collect some delicious high rank weapons and (maybe even) armours, I've decided I'm going to complete all the low rank quests and weapons before moving on.

The point of this character was to hamper my progress with the artificial difficulty of a gunner's life, so there's no point in making things easier for myself by bringing HR gear back into LR quests later.

Also I want that sweet equipment box miiverse screenshot of all the possible LR weapons.

So that'll be me for a while. Just gonna polish off all the LR stuff.

Also random funny trivia: I haven't fought Zinogre, but I've seen him in a cut-scene (Spoilers?) and now can send hunters for hire out to kill him. Maybe I'll make his gear without ever facing him. That'd be amusing.

Aye, I know both Lance and gun Lance play very different. I want to master more weapons for generations. I am not great, but decent at GS and CB, would love to add more to the roaster. At the same time I love idea of guns etc. Reading your progress looks very interesting amd it is more of a survival playthrough where every penny counts. I would love that. I might make a second playthrough just with guns like you baal, making guns now would feel like cheating. Though it will happen later on. Not much time left till generations and I want to see a lot more of mh4. Playing as gunner would be cool way of coming back to mh4 at some point.

Anyway, got few more random quests done. Kill Seregios for some other lad. We just destroyed the thing. It was alight of beauty! Funny enough i got my own urgent Seregios. I bet it will go sideways on me. :)

I killed Shaggy again, I forgot to mention my first killtime was around 10:30.

My second run felt like it was going way worse, I felt like I was getting hit way more. I brought combines for extra potions this time, and chugged them like a very thirsty man. I didn't get killed though, and my final time was around 09:30, so I guess I suck at measuring time.

I realised as well that it might be awkward as all hell to make all the low rank weapons, depending on how the guild quest system works out. I haven't fought Yian Garuga yet (I've had an "urgent" for quite a while), but once I beat that, I'll only be able to fight him on expeditions and guild quests. Virtually all of the guild quests I've unlocked (except for a Velocidrome/Kut ku one) are too high level for me to post. This seems crazy, especially since I've shredded multiple Mommy Gravios in the main story, but am too low level to fight a guild quest Baby Basarios. So if I can't go on Garuga guild quests, I'll just have to constantly cycle my town and hope he shows up in expeditions, then also hope he doesn't leave or I don't run out bullets before I get the kill.

I predict this being very annoying.
    Aye, I know both Lance and gun Lance play very different. I want to master more weapons for generations. I am not great, but decent at GS and CB, would love to add more to the roaster. At the same time I love idea of guns etc. Reading your progress looks very interesting amd it is more of a survival playthrough where every penny counts. I would love that. I might make a second playthrough just with guns like you baal, making guns now would feel like cheating. Though it will happen later on. Not much time left till generations and I want to see a lot more of mh4. Playing as gunner would be cool way of coming back to mh4 at some point.

Anyway, got few more random quests done. Kill Seregios for some other lad. We just destroyed the thing. It was alight of beauty! Funny enough i got my own urgent Seregios. I bet it will go sideways on me. :)

Completely co-incidentally, I happened to pop over to have look on the monster hunter reddit (which I haven't looked at in a very long time), and near the top there was a new gunlance guide, and inside the comments was linked an older gunlance guide. I think both are worth a read. Gunlance might be an interesting alt weapon for you, because it splits into three different playstyles of weapons based on the shelling type. Really on my file so far, it only feels like two different weapons types: Bowguns and Bows. In early game the LBG and HBG selection is so poor and limited they feel very much like the same weapon.

I've been trying to dissuade people from following my gun only example because I was very experienced with guns in Tri/3U/4U before deciding to slum it with gun-only-alt characters.

Playing a gunner from the start is almost an unrealistic representation of the class, because the core gunner skills basically break down as follows:

Bow: Focus, Load up, Rapid/Spread/Pierce Up

LBG: Element Up, {Element} Attack+, Bonus Shot

HBG: Normal/Pellet/Pierce Up, Recoil Down, Evade Extender

The only skills I've been running on my alt file so far are:
    Attack+, Stun, Psychic, Perception (Gathering+, Whim+, Speed Gathering)

So if you want to try some gunning now, you can steal my ghetto HR armour sets I posted screenshots of a few pages back. Especially if you're fighting Seregios, all his gunner weapons are more or less the best in their class and good against every monster. That way you can see if you like ACTUAL gunning. If you do, then it makes more sense to crucify yourself by enduring POVERTY gunning.

I really don't like how some monsters are behind that online only or guild quest only wall. It is a portable console game, not having Internet connection should be no brainer. Yes, you can solo it, but holy crap how much harder it is in higher levels hr and g rank.

Gun Lance would be ideal, if you manage gun Lance, you can manage pretty much any weapon. At least the way I see it.

As for my own progress: I am G rank 2 as of last night. Did killed good few Seregios with other people. Just going on your tip that I will need a lot of Seregios parts in the future.
    Other then that, I am still rocking my mix hr set lol. Its stats are just brilliant, but my defence really starts to show its weakness. :) as GS user I manage to avoid a lot of hits and play very carefully. One hit by some nastier monster can easily pit me from full hp to 1/4. Its kind of funny when I see people with g rank armour sets getting carted and there is me: a clown with skull head whaling at some monster. :)

I did found my dream armour set though! Some lad put up Diablos g rank and we did it. I checked its skills and it gave me a boner as GS user. From what I see SP far not hard to make at all, no rare parts, just lots of common ones. Problem is I don't have quests for it myself, so can't farm. Need to do a lot more g2 progress.

Edit:

Just to added " poverty gunner play" - I would fecking love it! I am a weird creature. I hate living In real life pay check to pay check and I hope I will never ever be at that position, but I'm games I ****ing love it! My most favourite part in all mmorpgs, racing games or rpg games in general when you start off and barely got enough recourses amd currency to keep you above the head. That's when games are most fun. As soon as I start over flowing and hoarding ( I do that too lol) I lose interest. Loved when started early forza or grand turismo games as a scrub driver with old car and credits were very hard to earn. Would drive some races for pure credit earning amd buying that one car I could afford. It would feel so special then. These days this whole richy rich and hand holding in games is annoying. It lost that "from worm to King" feeling.

Diablos seems to be the best GS armour in every game. I'd make it if I was you.

It's kinda funny Shadowhearth that you enjoy the poverty aspects of what I'm describing because I always generally hate the start of Monster Hunter games. Being crippled on resources and money is terrible. Having to collect honeys one by one is considerably inferior to plentifully growing them in your farm. But even considering all that, I'm kind of enjoying it. I'd have to be to have 30/40 hours on the alt.

I like the purity of it all. My equipment box is very sparse and organised. Aside from all the guns, I only have 11 pieces of armour (5 Vel, 5 Leather, 1 Kut Ku). I'm also being very strict about selling off inferior or blademaster-only talismans, rather than hoarding them for MaxiMelding. If I get an impossible Edgemaster +10, Crit Draw +10, Razor Sharp +10 talisman on this character, I'd just sell it for the 400 zenny.

If I to tier out my cashflow on this file, from biggest expenses, and to biggest savings, it'd go like this.

Gigantic cost: Making one of every gun/bow
    Very significant cost: Putting power attachment barrels on every viable bowgun
    Significant regular cost: Bullets & coatings

Neutral: Haven't bought any monster info books, (mostly) only sending one hunter for hire out per group, Not baiting the fishing machine

Small saving: Selling all nectars & most talismans
    Decent Savings: Sell all rusted, crystal and relic blademaster weapons
    Considerable saving: Not making/upgrading more than one combat armourset (I have one set with two different hats)

It cannot be over emphasised how much the bloody cost of making every gun and bow is. After beating Yian Garuga for example, I found that none of his weapons are craftable, they're all only upgradable from decently advanced Yian Kut Ku weapons, so I have to make and upgrade a bunch of those AGAIN, just to turn them into Garuga kit.

With regard to my own progress I went and fought a Frenzied Zamtrios and Lagombi to unlock that sweet sweet third Wycoon cart. There was two very surprising moments during this hunt. The first was when I was standing a little bit to Frenzied Zamtrios left and he looked like he was going to do his ice bream sweep attack.

"Hmm" I thought "If he does that now, he MIGHT hit me, but I have plenty of health."

*You have fainted*

Definitely wasn't expecting that. I checked my status to confirm my suspicions, and: Yes, Veliciprey armour is very weak to ice. It hasn't really come up previously, so I completely forgot. I suppose I should watch out for that more in the future.

The other surprising moment was also while fighting Zamtrios. I was using the Rathian HBG because it has good attack power, good clips sizes, but most importantly two slots. As mentioned previously, 2 slots lets me run AuXL and Half Stun, whereas 0 slots relegates me to AuL only.

I started off by poisoning him, because I've heard that Zamtrios have very high HP, and just fought him as normally by drilling him with normal2s. The fight transitioned to a second area and he inflated. Since this makes him a very easy target I decided to siege some fire shots (I think it's a nice touch that Rathian's guns are all good at shooting fire and poison, because she is too).

Then he flinched from being fully inflated to being half inflated and immobile. I kept firing for about 15 or 20 shots, in disbelieve at all this free damage that I was getting. After a while something felt a bit off, and I checked my target camera.

He was dead.

He had been for a while. I was just shooting his corpse because it didn't feel like I had done enough damage to kill him, I wasn't used to see a Zamtrios corpse half inflated and also since it was a double monster quest, I didn't get a dramatic camera angle to inform me about the monster's death.

I guess poison and fire bullets are incredibly effective on Zamtrios. That sharky boy shouldn't ever pick a fight with a Rathian.

Nothing notable happened when fighting Lagombi, other than the fact he was MOSTLY enraged. It didn't really click in my head before, but makes perfect sense that monsters who have sensitive hearing and are weak to sonic bombs/barrel bombs, are therefore also weak to Bombing Felynes carrying LBB+s.

So what would often happen is that he'd be enraged, go back to normal, a cat would bomb him, the sound of the explosion would stun him for a bit, then he'd enrage again out of anger of being stunned. Rinse and repeat. Bombing cats against sound sensitive monsters and a Challenger+2 armourset would be pretty sweet methinks.

After that I fought Shagura Magala AGAIN because I decided I'd be lazy and farm all the similarly elementally weak monsters in a row so I didn't have to change my gear, bullets or cats weapons much (cats are currently rocking double fire weapons in Qurupeco Axe and Agnaktor Lance).

This fight felt like it went worse than both of the other two, AND I got stunned. With half stun! Twice! In a row! Shockingly poor performance all around by me.

Final time? 8:30. A minute faster than my previous best. Time makes no sense anymore.

That fight got me enough parts to finish upgrading my Gore Magala weapons, so I don't need to fight Shaggy anymore.

Gore's LBG rapid fires pierce 2, so I wanted to try that out, and foolishly choose to do it on a new regular Tigrex quest (I didn't fancy fighting that frenzy lad again). I still need that Tigrex Scalp if I want a RF fire LBG.

This had a cut-scene to reveal the almighty Tigrex to me, so I assume I was supposed to have done this quest before the Frenzy one? I know I only unlocked it recently, so I'm a little puzzled there.

I got hit a lot. Very poor performance. Tigrex has a lot of opportunies where you can shoot him for a small to medium period of time, but the time it takes to fire and recover from a volley of Pierce 2 shots is just too damn long, and I paid the price for that. In blood.

Also, frustratingly, Tigrex Scalp is a Face break and capture only rare reward, and he limped away without a broken face, so I had to switch to Normal 2 and just aim for his face until that broke, and then cap. Still didn't get the stupid scalp though. I might be farming this one for a while :(

I think in general it might be a bad idea to bring a pierce gun to break a small extremity like a Tigrex face. Maybe it's fine for centre-mass breaks (Like Rath backs), but my issue came from the fact that even if Tigrex is facing me, a shot down his body length might do good damage in total, but only a small amount of that is in his face. Most of it is probably body, back and tail.

Also when he's perpendicular to me, I have to choose between doing the good damage by shooting him through his wings->back->wings and risk killing him early, or shooting him sideways in the face, which I can only imagine is pathetic damage.

Since my Palico house is full, I still don't have 5 of each type and still only two stealing :( I'm going to do a cowardly palico quest next to fight a frenzied tetsucabra and a zamtrios. Since the Rathian HBG is such a stone cold Zamtrios killer, I am absolutely bringing that, and this time I'll stop shooting when it dies :P

I see baal still holding the torch of mh4 with me. Other gave up. :)

Not much progress or play time, I am on day 6 of 11 day work marathon. All I do is work, drive amd sleep, though I stoll try to squeeze a hunt there and here.

I am rank G2 and just doing any random quests that come up with no real progress in mind. Just enjoying hunt itself. Few days ago I had my most embarrassing hunt of monster hunter career.
    Me and 2 randomers went hunting black Diablos. One lad was golden crown amd other one just boosted fella. They were Deffo friends. We went fighting with crown fella amd o was stoll managing well, until Diablos finally hit me. That's when I realised my armour defence is just way too outdated for this rank. I got carted just from 2 blows that I couldn't even dodge. The third nooby was just in other area hanging out and not going near Diablos. He sow me trying to give a hand and went to fight too, but got carted instantly. After that crown fella just told us to sit outside and wait, so he can kill B. Diablos without us carting amd failing. So here is me, full of beans and never taking any **** from any monster sitting outside embarrassed and waiting for someone else to do my job. I was sad. :( Surely your man killed the monster and I got my shame carves. Felt really Down that evening.
    At least next day I got my mojo back as I joined some random group and we went berserk on few monsters. I actually was tearing them apart amd contributing a lot! I will be back for that B. Diablos for revenge, even if I don't need his parts at all!

Other then that I got so many Seregios g rank parts that I can build a house out of them. It just became so easy with even half decent group! I can build full set of it, just need a few small monster parts that I can get in harvest tours. I am not sure if I should though. I really really need new set with better defence and g rank grade as it's getting very hard. I manage to fight well, but now amd then one attack slips in and I lose more then half hp.

Seregios set will give me :

Edge lore
    constitution
    Bleeding

Not great skills for GS user, but I could live with it until I get full Diablos. Plus I could get myself new Seregios weapon and use this sets sharpness skill. Seregios Lance or GS maybe? Problem is I could easily bump it up to rank 8 as I got plenty of Seregios parts, but from rank 6 to 7 I need M.tigrex parts. And you know how that ended up with me.ome way or another, my ghetto attack xl and handicraft hr set needs to go. Its great set and I had a lot of compliments from randomers, but it just does not cut it anymore. :(

• Advertisement

I did not give up. I just retreated to my camp for a little snooze. I may need a break from FE:F soon, it's very slow going - I'm playing the easy campaign on easy difficulty and still constantly restarting because I don't want to lose anyone but I'm terribly cavalier with their lives...

As I understand it, the only way to avoid "Shame Carves" (love the term, btw) is to avoid online, so chew it and swallow, son :D

If you know you're going to be sat in the corner twiddling your thumbs in advance, are there useful things you can bring / do to help the lead hunters?

I killed the Frenzied Zamtrios and Tetsucabra for the cowardly palico. Brought the Rathian HBG like I said I would and made hilarious short work of that poor shark again.

Siege Fire Pellet 2 also gave the Tetsucabra serious problems. I'd be firing away, he'd go to pick up a rock, have the rock in his mouth, flinch, lose the rock, drop a shiny, go to pick up another rock, have the rock in his mouth, flinch, lose the rock, drop a shiny, get enraged, prepare to roar, flinch, shake himself off, etc etc

He was only able to break the combo if he immediately charged forward at me, but the whole quest felt terribly unfair on the poor monsters.

Somehow as well, despite the fact I have killed 4 or more Zamtrios (2 of them Frenzied) and have never ever made any Zamtrios equipement, I STILL don't have enough parts to make his damn bow.

Then I went back to the Cowardly Palico at Cheeko Sands and I was like

"Hey man, come on, cut me a break here. I really want a bigger palico house so I can get back to weapon farming."

And he was like

"Buddy. You scratch my ear, I scratch yours. See I has this little problem. These two wise guys, Frenzied Iodrome and Gore Magala, they're hanging out down in the Primal Forest. They owe me some money see? I want you to go down there and shake 'em down. Capishe?"

"But I have so much blood on my hands already" I protest "Well... not literally my hands. Because I'm shoot everything from far away. But there's a lot of blood very proximate to me, and it's largely my fault. Besides I don't need anymore Iodrome or Gore Magala parts."

"Neither do they, if you know what I'm saying kid, heh heh heh."

So I went and killed them. Nothing interesting happened. Got my palico house upgraded to 40 afterwards and Don Cowardlioni had no more tasks for me.

I guess that Upgrade to 50 comes later in the game.

While I was checking over my upgradable weapons, one caught my eye that I'd been kind of ignoring because it needed D.Moran pieces to be upgraded. I'd stupidly dismissed that in my brain as a high rank monster, but there's a very famous LR DLC quest called Sand Blasted which I'd somehow forgotten about. It's notable because it's one of only like 2 quests in the whole game that give armorstones as rewards, which are items you can combine with various levels of ore to basically make every kind of armoursphere in the game below divine, most notably the Tru armourspheres, which you need to bridge the gap between (I think) heavy and strong. Heavy and strong are both minable, but you can only get Tru from guildquests or by combining armourstones with melspar ore and flutterflies. I obviously knew there was a LR D.Moran quest because I farmed it with the missus on my main file probably a dozen bloody times.

Anyway, I went and killed him in the gathering hall. Took 25 minutes, but it's hard to do such a heavily scripted fight quickly. There were moments on his back when I wished I had a blademaster weapon to swing and see which bits I bounced on, because I forgot which of his back spikes were breakable and was just firing around randomly.

In the end I'm pretty sure I broke everything, and killed him in the final showdown before he even got to the ship (I didn't get to use the dragonator), by firing pierce 2 through his cheek and into his delicate mouth.

It was an expensive fight too. I fired all my Normal 2s & Normal 3s, most of my Pierce 2s and a decent chunk of Pellet 1 & 2.

After getting my carves and going back to town I was a little disheartened to see that not only do his parts upgrade other weapons, but unlock whole new weapons which also use his parts. I'm gonna have to farm that tediously slow quest for quite a bit me thinks.
    Few days ago I had my most embarrassing hunt of monster hunter career.

Ah bless Shadowhearth, that's a heartbreaking story. Nobody wants to sit around and be carried.... well obviously a lot of people actually do, but nobody posting in this thread I think.

I don't know how to recommend you resolve your current issue. If your defense is too low and you need true armourspheres to enchance it, maybe try doing the LR DLC D.Moran Sand Blasted quest I was talking about. AuXL and Handicraft is a fantastic set to leave behind.

If you want to spend your monster parts on a stopgap armourset before you get to Star Knight, here are all the bits you need to make the full thing. If you can make yourself a full new armourset and still have these left over, why not?

Special Pass 5 (G3 USJ Colourful Beasts DLC quest)
    Immenseness Ticket S 5

Seregios Slavescale+ 11
    Seregios Airblade+ 4
    Seregios Breacher+ 3
    Seregios Carver+ 3
    Seregios Scraper+ 2
    Seregios Lens 1

Zinogre Cortex 11
    Zinogre Hardhorn 3
    Zinogre D-Shocker 3
    Zinogre Lash 3
    Zinogre Skymerald 1

I did not give up. I just retreated to my camp for a little snooze. I may need a break from FE:F soon, it's very slow going - I'm playing the easy campaign on easy difficulty and still constantly restarting because I don't want to lose anyone but I'm terribly cavalier with their lives...

As I understand it, the only way to avoid "Shame Carves" (love the term, btw) is to avoid online, so chew it and swallow, son :D

If you know you're going to be sat in the corner twiddling your thumbs in advance, are there useful things you can bring / do to help the lead hunters?

I am super against the idea of accepting that you're too crap and there's nothing you can do to contribute to a hunt, and basing your set around playing support to some G rank punk who thinks he's hot stuff because he got carried to rare 10 gear. I'd always just take my three faints and try harder next time.

Regarding Fire Emblem: As someone who played Fire Emblem 7 and 8 and CONSTANTLY restarted when I lost someone, I LOVED the feature in FE: Awakening where you could just disable permadeath.

My nephew had serious theological disagreement with me that I "wasn't playing the proper way", but I feel like you should go all in one way or the other if the game allows it. Either:

"My real life time is worth more to me than bits in a computer game, so I disable permadeath"

or

"I want death and loss to have meaning, so when a character dies, I will continue onwards despite this loss"

I think NOT disabling permadeath but still restarting when someone dies is just being indecisive and wasting your own damn time.

What with the strange occurrence of some bright object in the sky, and a few other things, I've not really had any monster hunting time lately. :( But I'm still enjoying reading these updates, so I can live vicariously through you guys! I think UPB has bypassed me now!!!

I think NOT disabling permadeath but still restarting when someone dies is just being indecisive and wasting your own damn time.

I can understand where you're coming from but I feel there's value in finishing the job without losing a man. It can be done. If I finish it, fat chance though there might be if that, I'll go back and iron-man/nuzlocke it...

God damn, but I want to cut something big and scaly....

I came back home very tired, but still decided to get the rest of bhamabra razorwings, hardened claws and pure crystals.
    Killing 30 of those flying little bastards with GS was not fun. :D
    important thing I ended up with full Seregios g rank set. I had 150k before making it - 3k after making it amd half way upgrading it. :)
    Had to sell some crap to make a little bit of money hehe.

So 600 defence withered lore, constitution and bleeding. Now good news is I got a ton of space for decorations. Like ridiculous number, 12 without talisman. I could put in some useful skill on top of it.
    I got r10 talisman with one slot, 7 stam drain amd 5 crit draw. Problem is I can't make for some reason stam drain gems amd to make crit draw decorations I need ruby Basarios who I never met or uraagan, who I never met... So that will go to back burner and o will see what talismans I have and then work away on what skills I'll pop in.
    I have fast charge talisman too, but decorations will negate constitution ffs..

As for "shame carves": it was first time for me amd God I don't want to do it ever again. Its not really online issue. You know me, I did a lot of progress solo and I know my way around now. Online is actually fun too when you get a swing of it. Specially when you get a decent group. Amd I mean decent who are normally geared and actually try, not crown fellas carry your arse. In generations I will be mixing it up now. Though I won't go online progress further then I am on solo.

Speaking of devil... Did anyone sow preorders for eu mhx 3ds xl? Looks like no one has it. America one already on amazon amd eu still dead. I am already putting away 30eu a week in a hope it will be my 3ds xl money. :)

On fire emblem: I played it when got it. Up to 12h in short time, but I got back to mh4 and never came back. 130h in mh4 so far and I am addicted like a junky. Not saying it's a bad game, but there are always better ones. :)

Ninja edit:

SP before work I just went through my talismans and decorations I can make. I must have been really really tired last night as I found stam drain deco I can make and turns out crit draw deco parts are from wyporium. I had all bits already ( the beauty of hoarding), So I just went mad. Now o got full Seregios grand with skills:

Constitution +2
    Bleeding
    Edge lore
    Crit draw
    Stam drain

On top of that with weapon included I still have 7 spaces for decorations. 3slot x2 and one single. I might put something in. Really haply with outcome so far.
    My nextstep solo caravan hr Seregios parts and making GS, then molten tigrex and finally rank 9 Seregios GS.

So after my last D.Moran run I DIDN'T have enough parts to make his Bow, but I DID have enough parts to both make his HBG, AND upgrade my Plesioth HBG into it's next form.

"Oh awesome" I thought "Now I have two different rare 4 HBGs. I hope they will have completely different clip sizes, effective element, and utility".

Then I checked, and they were both near equal power HBGs that can siege fire Pierce 2 and Water -__-*

I popped power barrels on them both, using up the last of my money, and decided to take them both out for test drives to see how I like them.

Since I haven't fought Zinogre yet, I brought the Plesioth HBG against him.
    The fight started by me sleeping him (something the Plessy HBG can do that the Moran one can not), and exploding 2 LBB+s by his head, then sieging water into him until he limped away.
    I capped him with a final quest time of a little over six minutes.

Back in town I checked to see if I had any other Zinogre quests, and there was one called "Uncorner the market" which unlocks tradable parts and also features a Rathalos, so I prepared to do that one next and brought the Moran HBG for comparative purposes.

Firstly though I went to my item box, and went to combine up some more LBB+s.

They failed and turned in garbage.

"What?" I thought "Did I lower the Success% by having the combo books in my pouch instead of my box?"

Nope. With the 4 combo books I have (the 5th isn't available), I only have an 85% chance to successfully make LBB+s in my box.

So I had a quick poke around the armoury (No Athena's Ass for this character yet) and despite my strong desire to not have redundant or excessive armour lying around; made a set out of rare 1 Hunter armour with a Gargwa(sp?) mask. I posted a screenshot of it to miiverse, then thought about it a little more, and added some trousers and decorations to it to come away with:

(1) Combinations +45%
    (2) Combo Pro
    (3) Outdoorsman

Although this has me looking like some kind of sexual deviant fetishist, this is intended to be my eveningwear or the set of armour I wear around the towns. Using the numbers I gave them above, the purposes of the skills are thus:

(1) No combines should ever fail, even if I have some combo books on me (thereby dropping the box success%)
    (2) For any item that can randomly give an amount per combine (Mostly bullets, usually between 1~3), I will always get the max amount (so 3).
    (3) Automap and easier steak cooking, but the important part of this for townwear is that it makes all fish bite your bait immediately, they don't mess around tapping it. In case anybody doesn't know, you can fish in Dundorma river, and the fish you get there are all fantastic for increasing money, cathengea and slickaxes. The added bonus is that you don't get a "Bag full" message in towns, any excess items are auto-sent to your box. On my main file I've often sat watching a film with a single headphone in my ear, and I'd just mash the A button every time I heard a splash, to flawlessly catch hundreds of fish. I haven't done this on this file yet, but I might now that I've got the set for it.

Anyway, tangent aside, once I made my LBB+s I went out with the Moran HBG to take down Rathalos and Zinogre. Because this HBG doesn't have any slots, rather than running AuXL, I rejigged my decorations so I could have AuL, Half stun and Detect to help me find the second monster.

Even though they siege fire the same things, the differences are interesting. The moran gun has super tiny clipsizes outside of siege mode, only 1 for Pierce 2, and 2 for Freeze and Thunder. But it CAN shoot Water, Freeze and Thunder, which ain't bad for a HBG, which are normally very elementally restrictive.

Even though Zinogre is weaker to ice, because of the small clip size I opted to just crouch fire water at it. The subquest was to cut his tail, but I wasn't gonna piss around with that, so I ignored it. It limped even faster than the solo one, and thanks to detect I didn't waste any unnecessary time waiting for it to fall asleep (because you can see when it turns blue) and then I went after Rathalos.

Thankfully, as soon as I went looking for him Detect activated it's random "Show me where everyone is on the map" ability and I was able to find Rath immediately.

I started off by thunder shotting him, but again, the restrictively small clip size had me switch to Pierce 2 instead, this was enough to have him limp away quickly, and I resolved to cap him, but still continued shooting him as he went to transition areas, and he died. Welp.

Total quest time was just about 10 mins. Ironically after all that, I forgot to use the LBB+s I spent so much effort making.

This got me enough Zin pieces to make his bow, and some much needed Rath bits for other upgrades. It also unlocked Narcuga and Uragaan tradable parts.

I figured at this point with my sweet Thunder bow, it might be a good idea to do another D.Moran run, but I couldn't remember what he was weakest to besides dragon, so I went to check his armour in the shop.

I do not remember at all what he was actually weak to, because when I saw his armour, my eyes grew wide with lust for their skills:

Constitution (who cares)
    Unscathed/Peak Performance (Attack Up Large at full HP)
    Pierce Up (10% damage boost on all shots)

Constitution might be a nice Bow Skill, maybe, but it's all about those second two skills.

Unscathed as a 10 point attack up large is amazing. You might think I'd be really good at staying at full HP as a ranged character, but you'ld be very very wrong. I get hit all the damn time, but maybe if I switch my bomb cats to healing and bring more herbs I can make this work.

Pierce Up is where it's at though. 10% damage might not seem like a lot, but when I was running the numbers on my MH3U gun alt, the % skills always outdamaged the "Attack Up" skills, even at the very start of the game when all I had were Qurupeco weapons. And this isn't even a choice of AuXL/L versus Pierce Up, if I have unscathed activated as well I get BOTH.

So much damage.... so much beautiful potential damage...

Also all the Dan/Jhen Moran armours since Gen 3 have always looked like badass feudal japanese warriors. This one is no different.

I'm not sure what to do. This would be a great armourset, but ONLY for pierce weapons, and only for a specific period of time before everything in the game completely outranks it.

On top of that I mentioned I only play this char on my lunch break. A D.Moran run takes me 25 minutes, which is a pretty solid chunk of time. I'm at a point now where I can do a single monster quest in 5 and a double monster quest in 10. One moran run costs me the opportunity cost of 3 to 5 other quest, depending on how I do on them.

This is the one point on my solo-only character that I've been tempted to go online, just to relieve and expedite the tedium of such a long boring scripted quest that I have no chance of failing anyway.
    What with the strange occurrence of some bright object in the sky, and a few other things, I've not really had any monster hunting time lately. :( But I'm still enjoying reading these updates, so I can live vicariously through you guys! I think UPB has bypassed me now!!!

I'm actually not. I'm just starting 6 star Caravan with some 4 and 5 star outstanding.

You're on 7 star caravan with everything else fully completed.

You'll definitely speed away from me while I waste time farming low rank monsters for all their weapons.

It wasn't until I saw your screenshot recently either that I realised that I was wrong about the gates between high and low rank. High rank doesn't start after killing Shaggy and setting up in Dundorma, I guess it doesn't start till 7*?

I had been avoiding my Hermitaur urgent because I thought it was the first high rank quest, not sure if I'm wrong there, but I'm pretty uncertain about the whole thing now.

My idea was to make all the weapons available from quests up to and including Shaggy. So I thought it would be a load of rare 2 and 3 things, with a rare 4 Shaggy bow and LBG; but now I have 4 Rare 4 weapons and I could I can definitely get at least one more. Not sure how far down this rabbit hole goes.

I'm glad you enjoy reading the updates, as I enjoy writing about them, so everyone's a winner. :D
    I can understand where you're coming from but I feel there's value in finishing the job without losing a man. It can be done. If I finish it, fat chance though there might be if that, I'll go back and iron-man/nuzlocke it...

God damn, but I want to cut something big and scaly....

It's all down to individual play preference in the end. My nephew's main argument was that he felt the point of Fire Emblem was to retry and retry the stage until you got a "Perfect Run" on the stage, only at that point did he feel like he won.

My counterpoint to that was "Nah, I don't care".

I endured permadeath on the GBA Fire Emblems, I'm not going to endure them again if I don't have to.

I had 150k before making it - 3k after making it amd half way upgrading it. :)
    Had to sell some crap to make a little bit of money hehe.

I need ruby Basarios who I never met or uraagan, who I never met... So that will go to back burner and o will see what talismans I have and then work away on what skills I'll pop in.
    I have fast charge talisman too, but decorations will negate constitution ffs..

In generations I will be mixing it up now. Though I won't go online progress further then I am on solo.

Speaking of devil... Did anyone sow preorders for eu mhx 3ds xl? Looks like no one has it. America one already on amazon amd eu still dead. I am already putting away 30eu a week in a hope it will be my 3ds xl money. :)

On fire emblem: I played it when got it. Up to 12h in short time, but I got back to mh4 and never came back. 130h in mh4 so far and I am addicted like a junky. Not saying it's a bad game, but there are always better ones. :)

Ninja edit:

SP before work I just went through my talismans and decorations I can make. I must have been really really tired last night as I found stam drain deco I can make and turns out crit draw deco parts are from wyporium. I had all bits already ( the beauty of hoarding), So I just went mad. Now o got full Seregios grand with skills:

Constitution +2
    Bleeding
    Edge lore
    Crit draw
    Stam drain

On top of that with weapon included I still have 7 spaces for decorations. 3slot x2 and one single. I might put something in. Really haply with outcome so far.
    My nextstep solo caravan hr Seregios parts and making GS, then molten tigrex and finally rank 9 Seregios GS.

I think you're gonna need like 100k for full starknight, so start putting spare zenny in your poogiebank ;)

Ruby Basarios is an expedition/Guild quest only monster, and the "Uncorner the Market" caravan 5 star quest I was talking about above with Zin and Rathalos is how you get tradable uragaan parts (LR at least).

Play however you like in generations, if you're digging the online aspect of it, rock that as much as you like. It's about having fun after all.

I definitely won't be getting a new machine with generations since I have the 4U special edition N3DSXL. I also will be buying all my copies of the game digitally, so thanksfully I won't be going near a gamestop anytime soon.

FE and Monster Hunter are both great, but scratch very different itches. FE is a better game to play if you're multitasking or need to look away from your screen a lot. Since MH requires basically 100% attention it's completely inappropriate for things like that.

Edge lore is a fantastic skill. I'm a big fan. You'll have it again on Star knight if you make that. The only downside is that Greatswords don't tend to bounce or need sharpening much, so it's kind of wasted potential with your new favourite weapon.

I haven't used a set with constition, but (if you read my own progress at the start) I might be soon. I think the main unique gimmick about it is the ability to do the invincible superman dive in any direction you want, not just AWAY from a monster.

Bleeding is obviously great if you're getting hit a lot by Seregios and useless all other times. I'm really against such specific skills on general use sets, but I know it comes free so whatever.

I'm not too familiar with Stamina drain, but I don't think it will do anything unless you very specifically hit the monster in the head with the greatsword slap. I know it was free on your talisman though.

Crit Draw is great on GS obviously.

The irony here is I think, that even though you've massively extended your survivability with that 600 defense, because you've basically swapped Handicraft and AuXL for only Crit Draw, I'm guessing your output damage is going to massively drop.

This might be great in multiplayer for reducing them shame carves, but if you ever have the urge for solo play, I'd be curious which set you kill a monster quicker with. My money would be on the older one.

Make sure to hang on to your current 3DS till after you get the new XL, so that you can do a system transfer, and can play away without losing your progress, and can then trade in/sell the old one!

I'm actually not. I'm just starting 6 star Caravan with some 4 and 5 star outstanding.

You're on 7 star caravan with everything else fully completed.

You'll definitely speed away from me while I waste time farming low rank monsters for all their weapons.

It wasn't until I saw your screenshot recently either that I realised that I was wrong about the gates between high and low rank. High rank doesn't start after killing Shaggy and setting up in Dundorma, I guess it doesn't start till 7*?

I had been avoiding my Hermitaur urgent because I thought it was the first high rank quest, not sure if I'm wrong there, but I'm pretty uncertain about the whole thing now.

My idea was to make all the weapons available from quests up to and including Shaggy. So I thought it would be a load of rare 2 and 3 things, with a rare 4 Shaggy bow and LBG; but now I have 4 Rare 4 weapons and I could I can definitely get at least one more. Not sure how far down this rabbit hole goes.

I'm glad you enjoy reading the updates, as I enjoy writing about them, so everyone's a winner. :D

I think the 6* quests are somewhat like Transition Year... You've done your first set of big tests, and have a while where you're not under too much pressure, but can face some pretty challenging things that take you out of your previous comfort level (I'm looking at you, Hermitaur!) and once it's over, you've got the sudden feeling that sh*t just got real... :D

I think I was just really badly equipped for the Hermitaur, or didn't know how to tackle it at all, as it worked in completely different ways to the previous monsters, with it's attacks from under the ground and it's horrible hot-spit attack.

I do wish that I was as verbose and as well... written(?)... as you guys! I'm generally too concise! Never been accused of being a writer! :D

Make sure to hang on to your current 3DS till after you get the new XL, so that you can do a system transfer, and can play away without losing your progress, and can then trade in/sell the old one!

I kind of want to keep my normal new 3ds and get new XL 3ds. I might try to get misses in to some 3ds gaming. :) I got her walking dead season 1 and she really loves it. She is not gamer at all.
    I just don't know what way to do it. Do I just get smyths normal xl with pokemon ( which will go in to pile ignored, but bought games of fire emblem, xenoblades, zelda) for 250eu or wait and hope for monster hunter generations xl. Drawback in last option, that it comes with digital version.

Baal: I know, this new set is not really an upgrade, but more off: I need something right now. It still gets good skills and hopefully I'll get better talisman so I can get something better then stam drain. Another thing that goes for that set, that I want to use it with Seregios weapons. Then it will benefit properly. As soon as I am done with this working bull**** aka " no life" I am going to farm g rank volcanic harvest tour for talismans and money, Seregios hr farm for starter weapons, hopefully Lance and GS first. When's that done I will get my balls to the wall and try to get that M. Tigrex to upgrade those weapons. G rank Seregios should not be issue, still got plenty parts left and can kill him few more times.

• Advertisement

I'm not trying to sway you one way or another, but there's a tool from the eShop that moves your cart save to the digital version of the game... I don't know if it lets you do the reverse.... but you could buy the MH:G n3DS XL, and then the Cart. And then use the cart to back up your save, while having the convenience of the digital copy always installed. Because a good hunter is ALWAYS prepared.

Advertisement