Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monster Hunter Boardsie Caravan Ultimate Generations X G

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I kind of want to keep my normal new 3ds and get new XL 3ds. I might try to get misses in to some 3ds gaming. :) I got her walking dead season 1 and she really loves it. She is not gamer at all.
    I just don't know what way to do it. Do I just get smyths normal xl with pokemon ( which will go in to pile ignored, but bought games of fire emblem, xenoblades, zelda) for 250eu or wait and hope for monster hunter generations xl. Drawback in last option, that it comes with digital version.

As you have the physical version of MH4U, what I'd personally do is get the MH:G limited edition XL, and that way you can have both MH4U and MH:G in the console, to play whichever one takes your fancy at any time! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, I got back from work last night, made misses "happy", so it ment I could playsome MH before I pass out. :D
    So I started last night by taking my new set against caravan Seregios. It was unfair for poor Seregios, he got slept to high heaven and got his arse captured.
    Hood news were I got enough parts to make Seregios GS! After that I checked Lance and woop woop, I can make that too! But why is it still greyed out?! Crap..I got 6000 zenies to my name.... Fuuuuu!!
    Remember I said about farming g rank volcanic harvest tour for talismans and money? Well, I finally tried. Result: 140k zen in 4 runs with added extra talismans, some mats and few ancient shard weapons. Each run took only as long as it needs to mine all places.
    So made both GS and Lance with 100k spare in pocket. Before going to sleep I decided to go and give M.tigrex a wee dance. Just to see if last times colossal cart time can be improved.
    Fight started great, I mounted his arse, slaped his tail around and made him pissed off. He got pissed very fast! Like I did the whole " one in pinker and one in stinker" venture!!! Now my new armour set helps a lot and makes a massive difference, but even at that level if the bastards goes in to rage mode and does his sissy fit aka, non stop run thingy, then do what ever **** needs not to get hit even once!!! He touches you once and thats it's, stun lock game over.
    After one cart I got back in. Simple tactic: he is angry - go play game boy advance in a corner while palicios entertain the host. When he gets tired - go ghetto on his arse!!! Rinse and repeat. End result? The fecking bollox is dead!!!!!
    So satisfying to take my revenge on it! Was lovely to get his parts, but I did not even cared, I just loved go see that smug tigrex face in mud. :)
    Ended up day with 120k zen, both Seregios GS and Lance, and a few parts to upgrade those. Will need to kill good few times M. Tigrex, but at least now I know he is easy. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I know nothing (Jon Snow) about Monster Hunter, as far as I'm concerned you are all a bunch of weirdoes....

That being said....

These look pretty cool.

Monster Hunter Stories Amiibo: Male
    amiibo-one-eyed-rathalos-rider-male-ver-monster-hunter-stories-series-ver-wii-u-en.jpg

Monster Hunter Stories: Female
    amiibo-one-eyed-rathalos-rider-female-ver-monster-hunter-stories-series-ver-wii-u-en.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Is that a chibi Rathalos???? Sligeach tried to warn us that Amiibo were evil... why didn't we listen? WHY?

I wonder if they'll lock any Generations content behind those things?

Why do I want one so much?

• Advertisement

It's the style of the characters in Monster Hunter Stories!

367?cb=20160526103010

(And yeah, I kinda want one too... :o )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I haven't played, so I don't have any gossip. There's been an uncharacterisic high volume of posts in the meantime though.
    Star Lord wrote: »
    I think the 6* quests are somewhat like Transition Year... You've done your first set of big tests, and have a while where you're not under too much pressure, but can face some pretty challenging things that take you out of your previous comfort level (I'm looking at you, Hermitaur!) and once it's over, you've got the sudden feeling that sh*t just got real... :D

I think I was just really badly equipped for the Hermitaur, or didn't know how to tackle it at all, as it worked in completely different ways to the previous monsters, with it's attacks from under the ground and it's horrible hot-spit attack.

I do wish that I was as verbose and as well... written(?)... as you guys! I'm generally too concise! Never been accused of being a writer! :D

lol, love the transition year analogy. I do feel like I'm spinning my wheels in a boring unimportant part of the game due to unnecessarily restrictive rules (my own, but still).

I think in my main file the Hermitaur urgent was the first quest I triple carted on, because I went out massively underprepared (Not enough items, forgot to eat) and then was like "Eh, to hell with it, lets keep going."

There's no harm being less verbose than me. I could write a 40,000 word essay on a sandwich I once ate, I'm really glad that other people enjoy my walls of text, because otherwise I'd probably just write these on a local notepad file, start every entry with "Dear Diary" and seal them away to reread in a year or two at which point I'd get a proper "Oh yeah that did happen" kick out of them too.

Baal: I know, this new set is not really an upgrade, but more off: I need something right now. It still gets good skills and hopefully I'll get better talisman so I can get something better then stam drain. Another thing that goes for that set, that I want to use it with Seregios weapons. Then it will benefit properly. As soon as I am done with this working bull**** aka " no life" I am going to farm g rank volcanic harvest tour for talismans and money, Seregios hr farm for starter weapons, hopefully Lance and GS first. When's that done I will get my balls to the wall and try to get that M. Tigrex to upgrade those weapons. G rank Seregios should not be issue, still got plenty parts left and can kill him few more times.

No harm making stopgame armour if you can afford it. It will definitely help you get Star Knight as that quest involves fighting Seregios, and you have high defense and are immune to bleed.

On the other hand, you'll have to fight Zinogre too, and that armour makes you super weak to lighting. I imagine it will still balance out in the positive due to 600 defense.

Tip on charm farming: Because you can't start in secret areas on Harvest tours, it's more popular to pick a quest on G-rank Heaven's Mount, eat for explorer (Drink and fish), reap the rewards of the secret area, run around the map mining just the gold nodes (they're rarer), end via subquest, rinse and repeat.

Two popular quests are a Zinogre one where you have to kill Ioprey for the subquest (who infinitely respawn in area 9) and a Rathalos one where you have to break his back (one back break = two successful mounts). Most people just bring a gathering set and any random insect glaive to this one and spam mounts.
    Well, I got back from work last night, made misses "happy", so it ment I could playsome MH before I pass out. :D
    So I started last night by taking my new set against caravan Seregios. It was unfair for poor Seregios, he got slept to high heaven and got his arse captured.
    Hood news were I got enough parts to make Seregios GS! After that I checked Lance and woop woop, I can make that too! But why is it still greyed out?! Crap..I got 6000 zenies to my name.... Fuuuuu!!
    Remember I said about farming g rank volcanic harvest tour for talismans and money? Well, I finally tried. Result: 140k zen in 4 runs with added extra talismans, some mats and few ancient shard weapons. Each run took only as long as it needs to mine all places.
    So made both GS and Lance with 100k spare in pocket. Before going to sleep I decided to go and give M.tigrex a wee dance. Just to see if last times colossal cart time can be improved.
    Fight started great, I mounted his arse, slaped his tail around and made him pissed off. He got pissed very fast! Like I did the whole " one in pinker and one in stinker" venture!!! Now my new armour set helps a lot and makes a massive difference, but even at that level if the bastards goes in to rage mode and does his sissy fit aka, non stop run thingy, then do what ever **** needs not to get hit even once!!! He touches you once and thats it's, stun lock game over.
    After one cart I got back in. Simple tactic: he is angry - go play game boy advance in a corner while palicios entertain the host. When he gets tired - go ghetto on his arse!!! Rinse and repeat. End result? The fecking bollox is dead!!!!!
    So satisfying to take my revenge on it! Was lovely to get his parts, but I did not even cared, I just loved go see that smug tigrex face in mud. :)
    Ended up day with 120k zen, both Seregios GS and Lance, and a few parts to upgrade those. Will need to kill good few times M. Tigrex, but at least now I know he is easy. :)

This might be the first time I've ever seen someone on the internet say "Man, I was relieved to get that sex out of the way so I could focus on computer games."

Oh you have enough parts to make weapons but cannot because you're too poor? WELCOME TO MY WORLD SON. THE WORLD OF ZERO ZENNY!

They should just grey out the blacksmith NPC on my file, because there's so rarely any point in me talking to him.

Congrats on the M.Tigrex kill. Another tip for extra money is to check your monster parts, and if you have more than 30 of a particular part, sell the excess, you probably don't need it anyway. This is excluding stuff you need hundreds off, like Monster Fluid and Monster broth. Don't sell those.
    Free MH:G wallpapers!

Thank you, downloaded.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I know nothing (Jon Snow) about Monster Hunter, as far as I'm concerned you are all a bunch of weirdoes....

That being said....

These look pretty cool.

I have zero interest in Amiibos, but those look sweet.

I generally don't like tat that just hangs around my house and takes up space, but my copy of MH Tri came with a little Rathalos bust that I really like and actually held onto. Other such gaming freebies have long since gone in the bin.

Here's two of the three busts you could get in your "blind box" that came with the game. Rathalos and Lagiacrus. The third one was Qurupeco, but I never saw that in real life.

cfd8140feb0381aded98e7244ccb2041.jpg?w=590

We are not weirdos, just dedicated. :D

Funny enough there is just 4 of us and we got this thread up to 200 posts already. :)

I don't likewise amiibos or wtf they called. I would much more prefer just realistic monster models. If they would do it, I would be all over the place. There are those collector series of monster hunter that look pretty cool. I am really tempted to order a few from Amazon or see if anyone selling locally.

Baal:

I stoll don't know where those secret areas are or how to find them. Just never bothered with it. As for monkeying mh4, I don't have any issues as I said in previous post. :) I can pull from 30k to 70k in one fast harvest tour which takes up to 5 minutes. It just depends how greedy I am and how lucky with ancient shards. :)

In fairness, new gear helps a lot with M. Tigrex, but at the same time I fight him properly. I take my hits planed and I stay away from it when it's enraged.

Baal:

I stoll don't know where those secret areas are or how to find them. Just never bothered with it. As for monkeying mh4, I don't have any issues as I said in previous post. :) I can pull from 30k to 70k in one fast harvest tour which takes up to 5 minutes. It just depends how greedy I am and how lucky with ancient shards. :)

Yo man, this is super important, so I'm just going to address this point only.

In Low Rank, you always start in the starting area.

From High Rank onwards, you randomly start in a different area on the map. There a small % chance that this area you start in is "The Secret Area". I think every normal map except the Dunes has one, and they generally always have 1 rare bug point, 1 rare mining point and 1 rare bone gathering point. They basically have all the best stuff.

These areas only have one-way-exits as well: When you leave, you can never come back. That's why you have to start the quest there, because you can never GO there.

If you eat fish and drink in the kitchen, you get the food skill Felyne Explorer, which GUARANTEES you will start in the Secret Area, but gives you no combat skills.

Definitely try it. You're mad not to.

As mentioned though, this will not work on: Any Low Rank Quest or Any Harvey Tour quest.

I never knew there were secret areas! I've got to try that out!

• Advertisement

Had time for a quick mission, wasn't sure on the progress, so checked. I'm 8*, having fully finished 7*, but had a few 6* quests unfinished, so went in for the Zinogre with frenzy (after watching 28 days later, I might refer to it as Rage instead...) had him limping easily enough, and captured him. Might get another couple done over the weekend!

Armour/weapon wise, I currently have:
    Permanence CB (Rare 4 Dah'ren Mohran CB, Gemmed with psychic 1)
    Jaggi Helm S (Gemmed with and attack 2)
    Velociprey Mail
    Rathalos Vambraces (w Psychic 1)
    Velociprey Tassets S (w Psychic 1)
    Hunter's Greaves S (you guessed it, with Psychic 1)
    Bishop talisman that has attack +3 (with another attack 1 gem)

Gives me Attack Up L and Autotracker

Had time for a quick mission, wasn't sure on the progress, so checked. I'm 8*, having fully finished 7*, but had a few 6* quests unfinished, so went in for the Zinogre with frenzy (after watching 28 days later, I might refer to it as Rage instead...) had him limping easily enough, and captured him. Might get another couple done over the weekend!

Velociprey Mail

Actually zinogre is my favourite Monster of all. I just love it's looks, moves, sounds. Its definitely my pet monster. :) Never really have much issues fighting it, but I faced only one g rank zinogre solar.
    Hr set start wise is not great, but God does zinogre set looks sexy. Its a shame there is no transmog like in wow hehe.

My own progress:

Finished work earlier last night so mamaged to play a wee bit.
    Killed one more M. Tigrex and captured ( by some luck!) one more solo hr. That got me enough fangs to upgrade Seregios GS from r6 to r7. Then killed one more Seregios g rank as needed breacher. Needed to talk in a few G1 noobies. They were afraid to go as they said " it's hard" lol. Still managed to talk them in, give some confidence amd we downed Seregios as always. 90k bill amd I gotyself shiny r9 Seregios with purple sharpness. :D

So now my set is full r9 Seregios, r9 Seregios GS and r10 talisman.
    To say thank you I helped with a few key quests to that group and my new set work perfectly. Never went down below purple sharpness and never sharpened weapon myself.

I found two nice talismans last night too.

Fast charge +5 with ooo

And

Guard +8
    Evade +8 with ---

I think I will be able to use first talisman to make my Seregios with fast charge qnd critdraw by sacrificing constitution from +2 to +1.

The second talisman looks like a perfect starter for Seregios Lance.

Had little bit more time after work to play. Not much progress, but was working on my gear again. :)
    It involved some monster farming hehe.

So remember my charm +5 fast charge ooo? I got it to work!

I made myself ultimate Seregios GS set. Every single slot is used out and it's tight as a toooiga!!! ( golden member accent)

So here it is now:

Full r9 Seregios +r9 Seregios GS

Skills:
    Bleeding
    Fast charge
    Crit draw
    constitution +2 ( yes, +2, I manged to skill that back in!)

Still need to give this a good go in g rank, but I tried it on caravan M. Tigrex again and I made mince meat out of it. Broke his head and all, which I could never do with old set and weapon.

At the same time got enough mats to bump Seregios Lance to r7! I need 3 more Seregios bleachers and I will have r9 Seregios Lance too. Next side project will be to make that charm +8 Evade and +8 guard to work with Seregios Lance set. :)

I got only 2 more days of work. On my day off I plan to give MH a good wee go. :)

I played a little bit on Friday, but it is amazing how quickly my memory of things deteroriates only a couple of days later. I couldn't write an essay about it now if I wanted to (obviously I always DO want to :P).

Fought D. Mohran again to see how viable it is to get his gear. I brought the Gore bow to see if his incredible dragon weakness was more or less than his weakness to a pierce 2 LBG inna face.

The fight went noticably worse just due to my fault. I died once, and embarrasingly. The big sand narwhal hit me when I was below full health (silly I know) and flung me up into the air with only a sliver of health remaining. My prone body landed amid a sea of little nibbling delex who had popped onboard the ship.

"Oh my god. It will be really embarrasing if I stand up with a sliver of health, and get immediately killed by a goddamn Delex"

*You have fainted*

"Balls"

Other than that, I prolonged the quest further by sucking enough that on the final showdown he actually got to the boat and started pounding on it. I had an opportunity here to finally use the dragonator, but timed it wrong and actually managed to miss while he was doing a side to side sweep. Literally could not hit the broadside of something many times the size of a barn.

Final time for this dreadful bow run versus my pro MLG LBG RF Pierce 2 run? Exactly the same: 25 minutes. I don't even understand time anymore.

I had another look at my lovely D.Moran armourset in the shop to see if I was any closer to making ANY of the pieces, and it was only at this point I realised that in order to make the full set I need an Earth Dragongem from D.Moran, Rathian Plate AND Rathalos plate.

God damn, that's not a cheap armourset.

I had a Rathalos & Rathian quest outstanding in my quest log, so I went and gave that a go. Realised very quickly into it that I need to start putting Dung bombs in my item sets, because it was impossible to keep them seperated and I had to fight them 2 on 1 for the whole damn quest. That made it feel difficult but the Gore Bow goddamn SHREDS these Wyverns. It felt like every second shot I fired made them flinch

I beat them both in pretty short order, I think I capped them both. No plates though.

Then I noticed I had a "Capture Rathalos" kitchen quest, so I burned through that pretty fast. An Iodrome showed up part way through to join in on the fun, but I just ignored it and cracked on.

Still no plates though.

Adding together the points from this D.Moran armour, or the "Dayspring" set, as it's called on male gunners, if I make the whole thing I'll have 6 slots to play around on, but I forgot to add up the negatives. The entire thing will give me negative 15 points in reload, unlocking the negative skill Reload Speed -2.

On Bow this would actually be totally managable, but on Bowguns I think all of my slots and talisman space would probably need to go towards removing it.

Really I should just start an Athena's ass for this character and put together an uglier mix set without all the ridiculous drawbacks.
    I never knew there were secret areas! I've got to try that out!

How did you get on?

Velociprey Mail

Solid set! How do you like autotracker?

If you're using a slotless weapon do you drop to AuM or Detect?
    Actually zinogre is my favourite Monster of all. I just love it's looks, moves, sounds. Its definitely my pet monster. :) Never really have much issues fighting it, but I faced only one g rank zinogre solar.
    Hr set start wise is not great, but God does zinogre set looks sexy. Its a shame there is no transmog like in wow hehe.

My own progress:

Finished work earlier last night so mamaged to play a wee bit.
    Killed one more M. Tigrex and captured ( by some luck!) one more solo hr. That got me enough fangs to upgrade Seregios GS from r6 to r7. Then killed one more Seregios g rank as needed breacher. Needed to talk in a few G1 noobies. They were afraid to go as they said " it's hard" lol. Still managed to talk them in, give some confidence amd we downed Seregios as always. 90k bill amd I gotyself shiny r9 Seregios with purple sharpness. :D

So now my set is full r9 Seregios, r9 Seregios GS and r10 talisman.
    To say thank you I helped with a few key quests to that group and my new set work perfectly. Never went down below purple sharpness and never sharpened weapon myself.

I found two nice talismans last night too.

Fast charge +5 with ooo

And

Guard +8
    Evade +8 with ---

I think I will be able to use first talisman to make my Seregios with fast charge qnd critdraw by sacrificing constitution from +2 to +1.

The second talisman looks like a perfect starter for Seregios Lance.

Sounds like you're flying.

If you like sexy Zinogre, you should check out sexy Kirin.

Generally speaking people recommend against having evasion and guard on the same lance set, but the talisman is the perfect one to try both on.

That fastcharge talisman is excellent too.

Baal, How do you see gunners armour skills. When I play I see nothing on them. All blank.
    I sow a video of lads playing generations and onefella used HBG and it looked really really cool. The new move sets makes weapon look a lot more fun.
    I might go pure gunner for online play.

You sow my previous post? I manage to materially nice GS set With that fast charge talisman. I think I got the best I could out off Seregios GS.

Last night I managed to get in to really nice 3 man group to hunt with. We had quest rotation and they were very fair and good. Was funny to see some randomer join in, post or ask some quest and then lads go: no, wait for your turn, it's Shadowhearths turn.
    We killed good few monsters. Even tried rajang. First fight went well, but then it was just a mess and all died like flies. On second try we were worse. So it went unbeaten and we moved on to other quests.
    Did that B. Diablos and Diablos quest. Stupidly I still did not unlocked single Diablos quests. Looks like I need to do more key quests of g2, which I was pretty much ignoring. :)

Baal, How do you see gunners armour skills. When I play I see nothing on them. All blank.

I'm afraid I don't understand the question. Can you rephrase please?
    I sow a video of lads playing generations and onefella used HBG and it looked really really cool. The new move sets makes weapon look a lot more fun.
    I might go pure gunner for online play.

The shiny explosive hunter arts are a trick to distract you from the tedious and difficult resource management. Your true joy in online play will only be had by saying between quests "Hang on a second lads, I need to alphabetise my bullets first"
    You sow my previous post? I manage to materially nice GS set With that fast charge talisman. I think I got the best I could out off Seregios GS.

Yeah it's a very solid set.
    Last night I managed to get in to really nice 3 man group to hunt with. We had quest rotation and they were very fair and good. Was funny to see some randomer join in, post or ask some quest and then lads go: no, wait for your turn, it's Shadowhearths turn.
    We killed good few monsters. Even tried rajang. First fight went well, but then it was just a mess and all died like flies. On second try we were worse. So it went unbeaten and we moved on to other quests.
    Did that B. Diablos and Diablos quest. Stupidly I still did not unlocked single Diablos quests. Looks like I need to do more key quests of g2, which I was pretty much ignoring. :)

Turns is a great way to do online play. I wasn't introduced to it until I started rolling with the Capcom Unity Crew in late 3U.

I'm afraid I don't understand the question. Can you rephrase please?

The shiny explosive hunter arts are a trick to distract you from the tedious and difficult resource management. Your true joy in online play will only be had by saying between quests "Hang on a second lads, I need to alphabetise my bullets first"

Yeah it's a very solid set.

Turns is a great way to do online play. I wasn't introduced to it until I started rolling with the Capcom Unity Crew in late 3U.

Okay, sorry, might be a crappy way i explained it. :)

When I go make armour pieces, you get blade masters and gunners. When I go check Blade masters skills while scrolling through its discritption, I get all skills on piece of armour showed. If I do same thing fro gunners armour piece, it just shows that it has no skills at all. Its for every single gunners set for me. Do I need to equip bow or gun to see armour skills on pieces?

Anyway, I posted in "New ninty gets", that I got myself a New 3ds XL. Kept n3ds too. My misses playing professor Layton next to me, while I am swearing at my 3ds, while playing MH4. :P It was my little reward for 11 day work marathon.
    So First of all - I will never be able to go back no n3ds. N3ds XL is just so much better on all levels: screens, grip, 3d effect, touch screen easier to use, specially in mh4 shortcuts for items. Its just fantastic and I did mistake by going n3ds.

In other news: I made Seregios lance r9. Adopted my Seregios r9 set for Lance use. Its not perfect, but I just wanted to try out lance without much of investment. So here what was my "experimental" set:

R9 Seregios set and r9 Seregios Lance

Skills:

Bleeding
    Constitution +2
    Edge lore
    Guard up
    Evasion +3

Now I know its a mess and its not focus for evade or guard Lance. I Gemed this set this way, just because I had it on me. I could not get Guard skill on it self as I cant make decorations for it.
    So I tried out this set in HR monoblos. My very first Lance fight and it was funny. I had no clue what I am doing, trying to guard and evade. Mess - was the only way to discrabe it. I still killed it very easily, but its more about being out geared, then anything, but I already notices how much less damage I take.
    Second find was level 51 guild quest of Ruby Basarios. This time I was actually really on the ball. Using guard and evade very smart, in fact I was using that cheesy way of closing distance - Turning my back to monster and just hoping to it backwards. I was on fire!!! Basarios could not stand a Chance.
    For my third proper test I took it out for Brachidios Caravan 10 star quest in Arena. Now for those who know this monster - Its really nasty for anyone with very low mobility. Lance is not mobile weapon, but very evasive if it makes any sense. I tried to guard against it and it was raming me very badly. Then I just started doing evade Lancing... Let me say this now: this is just fecking OP as ****. Brach was the monster that ALWAYS! ALWAYS! Made mince meat of me, now I was just dancing like a fairy around it and poking it to death. It was hilarious to watch. I one shoted the poor bastard. Really felt good. :)

So yeah, big day today, tl:dr version of it:

Off day after 11d work marathon
    Got myself n3ds XL and game my n3ds to misses
    Finally got a proper Lance and LOVING IT!

I can across this random online newspaper article for monster hunter generations that is weirdly well written and researched.

Has a great overview of past games and what they brought to the series as well. I'd definitely encourage you guys to give it a read, just so we can reward good writing with 3 extra clicks of ad revenue (probably equally 1/1000000th of a cent lol).

I stopped reading when he started recommending gears, because I'm stubborn and don't like to be told how to play games, but the dude makes a crapton of recommendations for every level of play if that's your thing.

My progress in the last couple of days can be neatly summarised as "I fought two frenzied things".

I've mainly been looking at what parts I need to make various weapons and gear (Looking at you, D.Moran Dayspring armour), and seeing what quests are outstanding, and trying to maximise my chances of getting the parts I need (primarily rath plates).

First up was Frenzied Rathian and Kecha Wacha. I took the Grenade Launcher+ LBG and its RF Slicing Shots because it's my only reliable tail cutting weapon. I also wore my cap guru armour because the chance of plates is better via capping.

Popped Rathian's tail off. Got no plate.
    Died. Got no plate.
    Capped her. Got no plate.
    Killed Kecha Wacha. Got no plate.
    I realise my expectations might be a little high, but I'm frustrated at the lack of plates.

I had some difficulties on this quest relating to keeping the monsters seperate, so I resolved to add dung bombs to my item sets from now on.

This was apparently part of the Caravaneer's festival quest line, and unlocked the next "event" in the series: Double Frenzied Tigrex.

Normally I'd look at this as an incredibly unpleasant quest with two very difficult monsters, but in my brain I could only see this as a dinner menu listing of "Two potential Tigrex Scalps, sprinkled with frenzy crystals".

Mmmm, delicious.

I made sure to stop off at the item box on my way out to grab some nullberries and the much needed poop for this quest.

I took the Plesioth HBG for it's raw attack and sleep bombing ability, and immediately realised I'd made a bollocks of the quest. I had forgotten to eat, so I had low max hp, low stamina, no attack buff and no bullet buff. I prefer to go Bill O Reilly "F*ck it let's do it live" style rather than abandoning a quest because of imperfect starting conditions, so I just rolled with it.

Fired a load of sleeping shots at the first Tigrex, and was killed by it before I got my first sleep (damn low hp). Then after my kitty cart of shame I had to run back to it ASAP, because if I left it recover too much of the sleep status, it was totally plausable that I'd get zero successful sleep application out my 10 or so sleep bullets.

I still wasn't going to abandon though. I'm stubborn that way.

Thankfully I got back in time and slept him. There was no way I had enough bullets left to sleep the second one. I put away my gun, and as I was placing my first LBB+, the second Tigrex landed in the area practically on top of the first. Thankfully it didn't wake him. I placed the second bomb as he turned and saw me and got ready to roar.

"There is no way I can get to a safe distance to set these bombs off before that second Tigrex wakes the first and messes up my bonus sleep damage."

So I kicked the bombs with my foot.

The explosion hit both Tigrex, both of my cats, and damn near killed me.

The blast stunned everyone and threw my body near the area line, so I was able to pathetically slink away to lick my wounds.

"Right" I thought "Better dung bomb one of these guys so I can separate them out for easier scalping."

A quick scroll of my item bar revealed no dung bombs.

"Huh that's weird, did I scroll past them? I rememeber stopping at the box specifically to get dung bombs."

A slower more methodical scroll also turned up nothings.

"WTF?"

I checked my item list via the main menu and immediately saw the problem.

I hadn't brought dung bombs, I'd just brought dung.

So unless I was willing to wander around the map to find sap plants and iron/stones to make bomb casings, I had no way to separate the Frenzied Tigrex.

Since I obviously had no patience for that, I just went full hardcore mode and resolved myself to solo gunning two Tigrex at once in the same area.

Nothing else memorable happened on the road to me breaking both their faces and capping them both, but I did have to go and kill some Herbivores for raw meat to turn into steaks via the supply item BBQ spit, because I was badly running out of stamina (since I forgot to eat). I don't recall ever having to do that on a quest before.

Then I was very happy on the quest reward screen to see not one, but TWO Tigrex Scalps.

I immediately upgraded my Rare 1 Kut Ku LBG to a Rare 3 capable of rapid-firing fire shots. I also slapped a power barrel on there, because I hate having money. Based on the fact I've been waiting to upgrade that gun for basically my whole file (my Kut Ku/Velicidrome Guild Quest is the very first thing I did on this file), and I'm 50 hours into this alt character now, I think this is the longest it's ever taken me to upgrade a weapon in any Monster Hunter game ever.

I immediately took it out for a test drive on a Frenzied Khezu and Gendrome; and completely tore the quest apart. It was so quick and brutal I barely remember it. One thing of note is that the quest gives you 5 poison knives to start with, and 5 more when you break Gendromes face. That on top of some poison bullets courtesy of the Kut Ku LBG meant I was doing a lot of poison applications on top of my relentless flame spam.

After that I did the Kut Ku/Velicidrome guild quest again both for old times' sake and to get a Kut Ku ear to make the rare 1 Kut Ku LBG AGAIN which I will need to upgrade to a Yian Garuga gun at some point. Although I've never seen a Garuga pop up in an expedition forecast, so I'm not sure what to do about those parts I need.

Also, this one Guild quest is still the only Guild quest I am allowed go on on my file.

My Basarios GQ is HR2 only, which I think is crazy. I'd decimate Basarios in about a minute and a half if I could fight him.

The Caraveener had a speech bubble for me after all my double frenzy monster quests and was excited to announce I was to participate in the main even of his festival, to fight a monster I had seen in my early career but never fought since: Dah'ran Mohran!

"That's nice" I said. Hiding my freshly crafted Dah'ran Mohran bow behind my back.

Yeah the gathering hall quests really mess up the plot order for poor single player campaign >_<

With any luck though, the solo village one is weaker/shorter than the event dlc one, and I can just relentlessly grind on it till I get that Earth Dragongem.

That's it from me.

Okay, sorry, might be a crappy way i explained it. :)

When I go make armour pieces, you get blade masters and gunners. When I go check Blade masters skills while scrolling through its discritption, I get all skills on piece of armour showed. If I do same thing fro gunners armour piece, it just shows that it has no skills at all. Its for every single gunners set for me. Do I need to equip bow or gun to see armour skills on pieces?

I really have no idea why you're not seeing skills. I can only guess you're not pressing X, Y or R enough to adaquately scroll through all the different screens in the shop (to be fair there are a lot of them).

Do you mean no active skills (which would make sense) or no skill points at all of any kind?
    Anyway, I posted in "New ninty gets", that I got myself a New 3ds XL. Kept n3ds too. My misses playing professor Layton next to me, while I am swearing at my 3ds, while playing MH4. :P It was my little reward for 11 day work marathon.
    So First of all - I will never be able to go back no n3ds. N3ds XL is just so much better on all levels: screens, grip, 3d effect, touch screen easier to use, specially in mh4 shortcuts for items. Its just fantastic and I did mistake by going n3ds.

Yeah it's sweet. I went from an original model day 1 3DS to a MH4U N3DS XL and it was like the second coming of christ.

The only major downsides I've experienced are that the little crappy nub isn't a patch on the Circle Pad Pro, and also the stylus is situated on the bottom, and with remarkably little usage, just falls out during regular play. Other friends I have with other N3DSXLs have the same problem, it's not just me. I've nearly lost this thing a thousand times.
    In other news: I made Seregios lance r9. Adopted my Seregios r9 set for Lance use. Its not perfect, but I just wanted to try out lance without much of investment. So here what was my "experimental" set:

R9 Seregios set and r9 Seregios Lance

Skills:

Bleeding
    Constitution +2
    Edge lore
    Guard up
    Evasion +3

Now I know its a mess and its not focus for evade or guard Lance. I Gemed this set this way, just because I had it on me. I could not get Guard skill on it self as I cant make decorations for it.
    So I tried out this set in HR monoblos. My very first Lance fight and it was funny. I had no clue what I am doing, trying to guard and evade. Mess - was the only way to discrabe it. I still killed it very easily, but its more about being out geared, then anything, but I already notices how much less damage I take.
    Second find was level 51 guild quest of Ruby Basarios. This time I was actually really on the ball. Using guard and evade very smart, in fact I was using that cheesy way of closing distance - Turning my back to monster and just hoping to it backwards. I was on fire!!! Basarios could not stand a Chance.
    For my third proper test I took it out for Brachidios Caravan 10 star quest in Arena. Now for those who know this monster - Its really nasty for anyone with very low mobility. Lance is not mobile weapon, but very evasive if it makes any sense. I tried to guard against it and it was raming me very badly. Then I just started doing evade Lancing... Let me say this now: this is just fecking OP as ****. Brach was the monster that ALWAYS! ALWAYS! Made mince meat of me, now I was just dancing like a fairy around it and poking it to death. It was hilarious to watch. I one shoted the poor bastard. Really felt good. :)

So yeah, big day today, tl:dr version of it:

Off day after 11d work marathon
    Got myself n3ds XL and game my n3ds to misses
    Finally got a proper Lance and LOVING IT!

Glad to hear you're enjoying Lance. I'm a bit sad the Seregios Lance's self sharpening mechanic is so gimped compared to other weapons, or else I'd use it more. They made it take more evasions to sharpen than anything else (because Lances evade so much), but you attack so regularly with Lance that it doesn't balance out favourably at all.

Guard Up on it's own won't help you if you want to play serious Counter-Lancer; but it does let you block unblockable attacks, mainly farts and lasers, so it's an especially good skill against Gravios.

Why the MH designers thought that farts and lasers were unblockable, but bright flashes, earthquakes and sound-waves are fair game, I'll never know.

Yeah Evasion+3 is very popular in MH4U for basically making you invincible. I'm not a fan of it myself because it makes everything too easy, and I don't want to develop bad habits for other games where it doesn't exist (i.e. Every other MH).

In past games I'd generally run Evasion+1 on as many sets as I could, because the invincibility you got in the jump from 0 to +1 was significant, but from +1 to +2 was very small.

+2 to +3 in this game is obviously INFINITY INVINCIBILITY, which I'm honestly surprised the devs didn't take out.

As long as you're having fun though, that's all that matters.

Just got this in a mail from Nintendo:
    Hunters of all generations, unite!

The free Monster Hunter Generations Demo is available now for users with a Nintendo Account* to download from Nintendo eShop via the official Nintendo website!

From June 30th, the demo is regularly available from Nintendo eShop.

Demo now available through the Nintendo website

Hunt with your friends

Form a hunting party with up to three other players locally or online and start slaying monsters together!

How to download the demo

Simply visit our Monster Hunter Generations website and log-in using your Nintendo Account and Nintendo Network ID to start the download**.

Your Nintendo 3DS system has to be updated and connected to the internet with automatic downloads enabled, and it must have enough storage to complete the download.

And I forgot to bring my 3DS with me today!
    But at least the demo should be there waiting for me this evening!

Link for the page:
    http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-3DS/Monster-Hunter-Generations-1090846.html

Look for the "Free Download" link on the right of the page, below the box art!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Are you going to create a separate thread for X or keep with this one do you think?

• Advertisement

I guess a lot depends on whether people continue hunting in MH4 following X's release?

Seems odd that the Demo is free if you have an NNID, but it's also part of the current humble bundle's BTA tier. But who out there has a 3DS but not an NNID?

Have to say, I LOVE the eShop web-front that lets you schedule downloads to your sleeping 3DS and Wii U. I really can't understand why they still haven't got an actual shop front that lets you purchase titles and download them... Please understand, they say. And I try. But I can't.

We'd discussed that a few pages back, think it's probably best just to keep this one going! I'll give it a bit of a rename to make it more inclusive/less specific...

[edit]
    Done! :D

If anyone has any suggestions for a better name, let me know!

Add 3 to the title as well! And 2! This doesn't reference enough games!

Seriously though, I thought you were just going to rename the topic to something like "MH General Discussion" but the one you have is a lot more interesting/fun and stands out among the other Nintendo stuff (iirc some mod moved the 3 ultimate topic out of Nintendo to General gaming at some point because we were too active, lol).

Regarding the demo hype that has enveloped the MH community: I have decided that unless having the demo unlocks some bonus features in the main game, I will not download or play the demo.

I'll just slog away on my little MH4U gunner alt and wait for the fateful day of July 15th.

This might sounds mad to some of you, but let me explain. I really hate spoilers, I don't read the back of books, I don't watch trailers for movies I'm going to see, I don't like experiencing things seperated from the main experience of the actual thing. This is something that has solidified in my mind as I've gotten older.

I loved Tri so much as a game, and when the MH3U demo was announced, I went nuts for it. I had based my entire day one purchase of a 3DS on some COMPLETELY WRONG insider info that MH3U was going to be a surprise game in the launch window.

I even bought a circle pad pro I saw appear in a random Tescos a year after the 3DS launch, and left it sealed on faith that MH3U would be released eventually.

FYI, the 3DS launched March 25, 2011, and MH3U didn't come out till March 22, 2013. I was waiting for TWO years to play the damn game, so I devoured the demo like a man starved.

I think it had limited plays too, so the demo would delete itself once I'd opened and closed the software set number of times. My solution?

NEVER STOP PLAYING THE DEMO!!1

I just left my 3DS in standby mode, and did nothing but play over and over again. Relentlessly beating on Lagombi and Plesioth over and over and over.

At a certain point, I noticed that the game would give you a "15 minutes remaining" and "10 minutes remaining" warning on the time left, so I tried to beat both monsters with every weapon in under those times. I even made a spreadsheet to track my progress, and here's a screenshot of it:

MH3U%20Demo%20times_zpsjwcpaucn.jpg

My total playtime in the demo was 17 hours. SEVENTEEN! Across 6 play sessions with an average time of 2.5+ hours. That's more time than I spend playing most other actual full games. And what did I have to show for it? Functionally nothing.

At least if I had choosen to repeatedly fight them both in the main game or the arenas I'd have gotten some arena coins, money and day cycles on my farm.

In the main game, when I eventually did encounter Lagombi, I tore him to shreds because I'd put so much time into fighting him in the demo. I didn't really want to fight him in the main game anymore, because I was so overexposed to him. Plesioth too.

Skip ahead a few years, and the MH4U demo dropped. I tried Great Jaggi once in full newbie mode, I tried Tetsucabra once in full newbie mode, and then I tried Great Jaggi once more in regular mode with a Lance. Then I turned it off, deleted the demo and never played it again.

Total play time: 38 minutes, in three sessions of approx 12 minutes each.

I purposefully DIDN'T fight Gore Magala because I knew he was the main focus of the plot, and I'm glad I saved that for the main game, because the first few Gore fights are badass and hard.

So looking at this generations demo now, I don't want to spoil the Great Macau(sp?) or the Malfestio(sp?).

I've fought a thousand Nargacugas between 2nd and 3rd gen, so I'm not too bothered about that.

I don't know if it will ruin Prowler mode or the different hunter styles to experience them all in the demo immediately, rather than slowly over time in the main game.

So yeah, unless Capcom come back to me and tell me if the demo unlocks something extra (I've asked), I'm going to try to stay strong to my convictions and keep my first generations experience pure.

Soooooo... you're saying like the MH games, just a little? :pac:

To be honest I've stayed away from this thread for a while (lurking every now and then) as I didn't want to get pulled back in until X came out and some of your posts had me lost. :D Just don't have much time for 4U at the minute either.

There's very little in the demo other than tutorials and 3 boss fights, but you would spot at lot more in those fights than I would so probably best to stay away. At least you have too long to wait.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Soooooo... you're saying like the MH games, just a little? :pac:
    I feel like that is an appropriate understatement, yes.
    To be honest I've stayed away from this thread for a while (lurking every now and then) as I didn't want to get pulled back in until X came out and some of your posts had me lost. :D Just don't have much time for 4U at the minute either.

lol, that actually a little disappointing to be honest, I try my best to write my posts in a manner I hoped made sense to anyone at any level of familiarity with the game, clearly I have failed in this though, and was just aiming it at my target audience of Banjo, Star Lord and Shadowhearth.
    There's very little in the demo other than tutorials and 3 boss fights, but you would spot at lot more in those fights than I would so probably best to stay away. At least you have too long to wait.

2 of those 3 boss fights are new though, so that's my main reason for wanting to stay away.

lol, that actually a little disappointing to be honest, I try my best to write my posts in a manner I hoped made sense to anyone at any level of familiarity with the game, clearly I have failed in this though, and was just aiming it at my target audience of Banjo, Star Lord and Shadowhearth.

No not at all. It's more to do with the length of time I've been away from the game. I can't remember the last time I played 4U - it was probably just to log on to download some new quests from Capcom so I didn't miss out on them. Also, I think I only got as far as the Gore Magala fight so not that far into the game really. Don't remember there being much 4U discussion on boards at the time I was playing or maybe I was looking in the wrong place! :D

I won't be able to keep pace with you guys but I'll dip in and out anyway. :)

I want to give the demo a try just to give the hunter styles a try, see which one I like most before launching into the game proper in July!

If what, from my own experience: MH game demos are brutally bad showing off what game is actually about.
    For a lot of people MH will come up as clunky 3Rd person game. Just go and kill monster. Where is the real beauty of MH games is preparing, planing, organising your next hunt. Challenging harder and bigger monsters and see yourself grow as a hunter. Its a lot bigger game then some repetitive killing.
    I tried once Mh3 demo and I sow right away how badly it will market the game. Since. Then I never played demos and just buy MH games.
    So again, I will just suck it up and Wait for 15th. Will need to make sure I am off that day too.
    Already 146h in mh4 and I got game inky since March 22nd. I can't even imagine how much I will play generations with all the added styles for each weapon.

It's a shame Irish players are not in to it. Its kind of sad it's only 4 ( now only 3) in all boards.ie who play it. I am pretty sure this little thread of ours is a biggest MH thread on boards.ie. Hopefully generations will attract a lot more hunters.

I remember getting hyped as fudge about the MH3 demo. And then playing it and it was a huge pile of crap, mountainous turgid slop. And then UPB got up on a soap box and started to preach, and I swear on the key to Princess Peach's chastity belt that a light shone out of my monitor, reflected from my glasses and bathed my circle pad pro in a twinkling, ethereal glory. I had not just seen the light, I had become it's instrument. And so I played that demo again. And by god, I butchered that 8 foot tall rabbit good (sorry, Wizbit! he had it coming!)

I'm not sure I need a demo of MHX. I'm going to buy it anyway. I might just play a bit more MH4 instead :D

While I'm here, I know it's not your speed but... my Animal Crossing town got wiped out recently and my daughters have started playing again. I've got them access to Tortimer's island, a pink wetsuit and they don't live in tents any more but I'm only one non-mayor man.... Any chance anyone has perfect apples along with pears, cherries, coconuts, peaches or persimmons?

• Advertisement

Banjo wrote: »
    I remember getting hyped as fudge about the MH3 demo. And then playing it and it was a huge pile of crap, mountainous turgid slop. And then UPB got up on a soap box and started to preach, and I swear on the key to Princess Peach's chastity belt that a light shone out of my monitor, reflected from my glasses and bathed my circle pad pro in a twinkling, ethereal glory. I had not just seen the light, I had become it's instrument. And so I played that demo again. And by god, I butchered that 8 foot tall rabbit good (sorry, Wizbit! he had it coming!)

I'm not sure I need a demo of MHX. I'm going to buy it anyway. I might just play a bit more MH4 instead :D

I had forgotten that you were the guy I talked through the Lagombi hunt from atop my soap box lol. Good times.

The logic of "I'm buying it anyway, why get the demo" is totally sound, but the internet is completely losing it's mind over this demo and most people are buying a $4 humble bundle to guarantee a key.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted, but I feel like ultimately it's better to wait.
    Banjo wrote: »
    While I'm here, I know it's not your speed but... my Animal Crossing town got wiped out recently and my daughters have started playing again. I've got them access to Tortimer's island, a pink wetsuit and they don't live in tents any more but I'm only one non-mayor man.... Any chance anyone has perfect apples along with pears, cherries, coconuts, peaches or persimmons?

Dude I 100%'d Animal Cross on the regular DS. All bugs, all fish, all fossils and all golden tools.

Unfortunately I did this in the run up to AC: New Leaf being released, and kinda burned myself out on it, and ended up hardly playing New Leaf at all.

I'll check my file, which I have a note made has been left barren and deserted since August of 2014, and your kids are welcome to any and all perfect fruit I can pull from the decomposed hands of my long-dead village residents, which in all honesty is probably zero.

Advertisement