Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Eir Rep telling me porkys to scaremonger me into getting Eir broadband?

Options
  • 09-04-2016 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

An Eir rep called to my door the other day to try get me to sign up for Eir's phone and broadband service.

I told him I was in a contract with Sky broadband for another 4 months but I decided to ask him a few questions about when I could expect to get fibre in my area. Here are all the things that he told me:
    Fibre will be available in the area soon but that fibre won't be enough connections for everyone in the area.
    He said that there will be X amount off connections and that Eir customers will get looked after first.
    Then they will give the remaining leftover connections to the likes of Sky, Vodafone, etc so that when the connections are shared out, there won't be enough left for everyone.
    He said that Eir give 1 connection per customer whereas Vodafone, Sky, etc share 1 connection between upwards of 40 people.

I understand that contention ratios exist but do Eir really give 1 connection per person?

He also said that because Eir give every customer their own connection, Eir can guarantee guarantee that they can provide their TV service steadily at 12mbps. And that Vodafone need a 40mbps connection to guarantee a steady TV service because they share their 1 connection with so many customers.

Is any of this true or is it it pure nonsense? I really do believe in paying for quality but if he's just trying to tell me lies to get me to pay MORE MONEY for the EXACT same service that I can get elsewhere cheaper he can head on with himself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

They will tell you anything at the door, so I would not believe any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

business-sales-door_to_door_salesman-door_to_door_sales-salespeople-salesman-29600933_low.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭woppers

eamonnq wrote: »
    They will tell you anything at the door, so I would not believe any of it.
    degsie wrote: »
    business-sales-door_to_door_salesman-door_to_door_sales-salespeople-salesman-29600933_low.jpg

Haha! :D That's a great cartoon!

Yes, I was thinking he was trying to fill me full of crap but the he was saying is ridiculous. Why would there be a national campaign to roll out fibre broadband and then not supply enough connections for the area?

If this is their approach to trying to sell me their products they can go and sh**e.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Fibre will be available in the area soon but that fibre won't be enough connections for everyone in the area.
    Rarely there are capacity issues, you arent the first one to be told this line
    He said that there will be X amount off connections and that Eir customers will get looked after first.

If you got his name email COMREG, what he's promising is illegal.
    Then they will give the remaining leftover connections to the likes of Sky, Vodafone, etc so that when the connections are shared out, there won't be enough left for everyone.
    More crap.
    He said that Eir give 1 connection per customer whereas Vodafone, Sky, etc share 1 connection between upwards of 40 people.

Total lies. NGA is uncontended for all.

I'd love it if we could legislate to ban door to door sales. It preys on the foolish and the uneducated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Also, for non commercial internet use those speeds upwards of 50Mbit are a bit useless IMO.

I'm an IT professional and I use the internet very heavily at home. Controlling remote servers, working from home, downloading stuff (legal of course ;)) all while the missus watches Netflix in HD. I've never found myself wishing it would be faster than the 70 Mbit I have. Most of the time I don't even reach the max.

I don't know how fast this fibre offer is but when I see UPC offering 320Mbit to pensioners claiming they'll get 'left behind' if they don't upgrade it makes me cringe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

It's been said on here many times - If an eir salesdrone is at your door, every single thing that spews forth from its main face hole is pure unadulterated lies.

The same is pretty much true of any door-to-door salesthing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭Nollog

"He said that there will be X amount off connections and that Eir customers will get looked after first."

this would be anti-competitive and likely illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

Absolute bull, I can promise you that, they literally say anything to get the sale, if you ever wanted to find out what's really available call them, calls are recorded and legally they can't provide that type of information

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭kirving

Basically all bull. The only situation where I can concieve it being an advantage to being on eir would be if there was say a lightning strike and the lines had to be repaired, and they fixed their own lines/equipment first, so basically not an issue

Other providers will have their own equipment in the exchanges too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Not for VDSL they don't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

woppers wrote: »
    An Eir rep called to my door the other day to try get me to sign up for Eir's phone and broadband service.

I understand that contention ratios exist but do Eir really give 1 connection per person?

Is any of this true or is it it pure nonsense? I really do believe in paying for quality but if he's just trying to tell me lies to get me to pay MORE MONEY for the EXACT same service that I can get elsewhere cheaper he can head on with himself.
    MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    It's been said on here many times - If an eir salesdrone is at your door, every single thing that spews forth from its main face hole is pure unadulterated lies.

The same is pretty much true of any door-to-door salesthing.
    Basically all bull. The only situation where I can concieve it being an advantage to being on eir would be if there was say a lightning strike and the lines had to be repaired, and they fixed their own lines/equipment first, so basically not an issue

Unfortunately some of that is true.
    Eir has free connections that they will keep for their customers, and only give limited connections to their competitors. And when they are gone, theyre gone...

One of their competitors told me this on a recorded phone call when explaining why they couldnt provide broadband for me.

I doubt that the competitors have to put lots of people on one connection though...

Eir has free connections that they will keep for their customers, and only give limited connections to their competitors. And when they are gone, theyre gone...

One of their competitors told me this on a recorded phone call when explaining why they couldnt provide broadband for me.

I doubt that the competitors have to put lots of people on one connection though...

That is more bull, they cannot do this, there is a regulator.

:D Really.. So who is telling the more bull? the competitor??? :rolleyes:

Maybe you know better than they do...:cool::rolleyes:

Not that it does make sense but i got the run around from them too so im not too bothered now. They are all as bad as each other id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

Really.. So who is telling the more bull? the competitor???

Sales people will talk ****e!

Do not believe a sales person, ever, especially the one that comes to your door, they are the worst kind. Take everything a telesales person says with a pinch of salt. Anyone that gets caught out buying from a salesman at their door deserve exactly what they get

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭guil

Maybe you know better than they do...:cool::rolleyes:

Not that it does make sense but i got the run around from them too so im not too bothered now. They are all as bad as each other id say.

I'll take a stab at it and guess that it was SKY that told you that?

I was told the very same by BT Ireland back in 2008 when a newly installed line failed a DSL test. And then the Eircom engineer made some smartarsed comment that if I were with Eircom they would have been able to fix the fault.

So while it may be unlawful, in practice I wouldn't be surprised if Eir are really giving priority to their own customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Karsini wrote: »
    I was told the very same by BT Ireland back in 2008 when a newly installed line failed a DSL test. And then the Eircom engineer made some smartarsed comment that if I were with Eircom they would have been able to fix the fault.

So while it may be unlawful, in practice I wouldn't be surprised if Eir are really giving priority to their own customers.

I wonder if there is a common fault logging system that Eir networks host for all operators, or does Vodafone (for example) have to log it on their system which then hands it over to an Eir system? This could account for non-Eir customers being further down the 'fault queue' than Eir customers at times.

jd wrote: »
    Sales people will talk ****e!
    Do not believe a sales person, ever, especially the one that comes to your door, they are the worst kind. Take everything a telesales person says with a pinch of salt. Anyone that gets caught out buying from a salesman at their door deserve exactly what they get

Wasnt sales on the door. This was on the phone, and Im pretty sure it was their technical support that told me that.

On one hand it MAY nearly make sense if Eir own all the infrastructure and need to share it with their competitors, but on the other hand its still a monopoly of sorts! Not competing by making sure the playing field is unfair.

guil wrote: »
    I'll take a stab at it and guess that it was SKY that told you that?

No, lol, not Sky...not many main competitors left! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Completely untrue. All orders come through the same interface into Open eir. Ports are assigned automatically by the management systems. KN don't even know which operator they are providing service for when they are doing the install.

• Advertisement

MBSnr wrote: »
    I wonder if there is a common fault logging system that Eir networks host for all operators, or does Vodafone (for example) have to log it on their system which then hands it over to an Eir system? This could account for non-Eir customers being further down the 'fault queue' than Eir customers at times.

Yes. All faults come through the same engine and are dealt with on a first come first served basis. The system is fully automated.Once logged all faults are treated the same regardless of Operator (e.g. eir, Voda, BT). This is all monitored extremely closely by ComReg.

joe_99 wrote: »
    KN don't even know which operator they are providing service for when they are doing the install.

That isnt true, they have to know as they use the retail operator as technical assistance for some install problems. And the CPE on site will make it obvious even if the work order didnt include it.

ED E wrote: »
    That isnt true, they have to know as they use the retail operator as technical assistance for some install problems. And the CPE on site will make it obvious even if the work order didnt include it.

The office know, the techs in the field don't get this info and need to ask if they have difficulty

KN techs are not aware of the operator and wouldn't call the Retail operator for technical assistance. I think you may be thinking of modem and TV installs which are not regulated by ComReg and purchased from open eir as a managed network service add on. Only some Operators avail of this service.

KN techs are not aware of the operator and wouldn't call the Retail operator for technical assistance. I think you may be thinking of modem and TV installs which are not regulated by ComReg and purchased from open eir as a managed network service add on. Only some Operators avail of this service.

Well true, but KNN techs are not mindless drones (well, mostly not).

Eir: Full install
    Vod: Full install
    Sky: Part install

Obviously that excludes Pure/Magnet/Gaelic(still going)/IFA etc but realistically share there is very low. So for Eir and Vod they know, and Sky it can be deduced.

I'm all for the RAPs being impartial and fair but when it comes to the access network there's a limit to how much the "double blind" method can come into it. OSS wise in the last few years its become very fair.

Well true, but KNN techs are not mindless drones (well, mostly not).

Eir: Full install
    Vod: Full install
    Sky: Part install

Obviously that excludes Pure/Magnet/Gaelic(still going)/IFA etc but realistically share there is very low. So for Eir and Vod they know, and Sky it can be deduced.

I'm all for the RAPs being impartial and fair but when it comes to the access network there's a limit to how much the "double blind" method can come into it. OSS wise in the last few years its become very fair.

You are correct of course but from a regulated perspective it is essential that no information related to the Operator name is on the RAP order and this is the case. Once the RAP order is complete the technician gets to view the MNS order and install the correct equipment.

Completely untrue. All orders come through the same interface into Open eir. Ports are assigned automatically by the management systems. KN don't even know which operator they are providing service for when they are doing the install.

So the tech support at the competitor to Eir told me a lie when they said there were no ports available, and that I would have to go through Eir???!!
    There actually was/is a port for me without going with Eir.?

Kinda makes one wonder why the competitor would tell such lies...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

So the tech support at the competitor to Eir told me a lie when they said there were no ports available, and that I would have to go through Eir???!!
    There actually was/is a port for me without going with Eir.?

Kinda makes one wonder why the competitor would tell such lies...:confused:

It's possible there were/are no ports available, but that would be to everyone, including eir. The competitor tech support probably said those things to make eir out to be a baddy! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

woppers wrote: »

I told him I was in a contract with Sky broadband for another 4 months but I decided to ask him a few questions about when I could expect to get fibre in my area. Here are all the things that he told me:

Hi woppers,

We noticed your thread and would like to offer you some clarity here.

It is possible that the local cabinet in your area is due to go live with efibre soon. However if you’re in an area of high demand cabinets can become full and we would have to wait for a port to become available before we can provide the service to someone else. Again this will only affect certain cabinets where there is a high demand for the service.

eir Retail is a direct customer of Open eir just like other provider’s and we receive no preferential treatment regarding the details or availability of new fibre cabinets.

I can also confirm that all efibre connections regardless of the provider are uncongested. You can view the most up to date information on the eFibre roll out here http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ or you can check your line number or address here https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/

I understand your frustrations and would like to apologise for the misinformation you were given. We would be more than happy to look into this and advise you further if you could PM us with your address.

Many thanks,

Pamela

• Advertisement
Advertisement