Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV just broke

Options
  • 09-04-2016 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

So my LED tv has decided to just produce sound and show a black screen.
    I seem to have no luck with tv's, this will be the 3rd that has gone within the last 6 years.
    I bought it about 28 months ago, would i have any chance of getting anything from argos where i purchased it despite the warranty being out ?
    Getting fed up paying for expensive items that don't last, i let the last two go but not this one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭sidcon

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    So my LED tv has decided to just produced sound and show a black screen.
    I seem to have no luck with tv's, this will be the 3rd that has gone within the last 6 years.
    I bought it about 28 months ago, would i have any chance of getting anything from argos where i purchased it despite the warranty being out ?
    Getting fed up paying for expensive items that don't last, i let the last two go but not this one.

No chance, has to be were your displaying it though, is it near a heat source - fire / radiator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Have you unplugged it and tried it from cold?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Have you moved it recently, this happened our set, something was knocked out of kilter; and with a bit of old fashioned tapping and banging on the back it was sorted. has been grand ever since. 18 months on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Cheap TV's are cheap for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is there some thing where appliances are reasonably expected to last a certain amount of time regardless of warranty? As in small claims court or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is there some thing where appliances are reasonably expected to last a certain amount of time regardless of warranty? As in small claims court or something?

AFAIK its 2 years for electronic goods

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭leonffrench

My TV from argos did the same after 13 months went through it all with argos they said once it's over 12 months they won't do anything

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Goods have to be of merchantable quality and fit for the purpose intended, as per consumer law. 28 months would not be long enough for a TV in my opinion, so I would definitely be back to Argos (with proof of purchase). You are entitled to a repair, replacement or refund. However, bear in mind that you've had over two years of use of the TV, so the value has depreciated.

The warranty may have expired, but your protection under consumer law is greater and cannot be replaced by a warranty.

All of the above assumes that you have not damaged or misused the TV in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

sidcon wrote: »
    No chance, has to be were your displaying it though, is it near a heat source - fire / radiator

No, it's in a room that is usually fairly cold
    Have you unplugged it and tried it from cold?

Yep tried that, turned it on to watch the grand national and the picture came on then just went blank.
    Have you moved it recently, this happened our set, something was knocked out of kilter; and with a bit of old fashioned tapping and banging on the back it was sorted. has been grand ever since. 18 months on

I've given it a few smacks already :D
    Cheap TV's are cheap for a reason.
    Cheap tv to one person could be expensive to another, if your shelling out over €500 you expect it to last a few years at least

dudara wrote: »
    Goods have to be of merchantable quality and fit for the purpose intended, as per consumer law. 28 months would not be long enough for a TV in my opinion, so I would definitely be back to Argos (with proof of purchase). You are entitled to a repair, replacement or refund. However, bear in mind that you've had over two years of use of the TV, so the value has depreciated.

The warranty may have expired, but your protection under consumer law is greater and cannot be replaced by a warranty.

All of the above assumes that you have not damaged or misused the TV in any way.

That's the route i was looking at

• Registered Users Posts: 69,033 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cheap tv to one person could be expensive to another, if your shelling out over €500 you expect it to last a few years at least

500 on a huge TV is cheap, 500 for a 32" isn't.

Theres also brands which are cheap by default, even if you get overcharged for them...

If its not Turkish crap you should look at Argos and small claims if required. If it is - don't buy Turkish crap.

Bush, Walker, Nordemende, Grundig - any brand that was respectable as a kid and vanished - are Turkish crap. Also the own brands of most retailers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

L1011 wrote:
    Bush, Walker, Nordemende, Grundig - any brand that was respectable as a kid and vanished - are Turkish crap. Also the own brands of most retailers.

Walker was never respectable. :)

L1011 wrote: »
    500 on a huge TV is cheap, 500 for a 32" isn't.

Theres also brands which are cheap by default, even if you get overcharged for them...

If its not Turkish crap you should look at Argos and small claims if required. If it is - don't buy Turkish crap.

It's a 40" Toshiba, have a toshiba laptop for a good few years which has been reliable(will probably break now) so thought i was going to get something reliable again.
    My old philips 40" tv that cost about €900 went after 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

3 in 6 years is crazy, have you got them running 24 hours a day or what? I've had one LED tv in the last 6 years and I would say it's on a good 10 hours a day every day, the CRT before that was around 8 years old and still running fine when I replaced it. I'd look at something where it's located causing the issue if it's not getting heavy use. Try Argos or contact Toshiba direct, perhaps Toshiba would give a discounted repair or might fix it free out of goodwill.

You could probably get a new similar spec for €350 or less, getting someone to repair yours is likely to be €100 at least no matter what small part is gone, probably not worth doing as it sounds like the LED screen is fecked.

3 in 6 years is crazy, have you got them running 24 hours a day or what? I've had one LED tv in the last 6 years and I would say it's on a good 10 hours a day every day, the CRT before that was around 8 years old and still running fine when I replaced it. I'd look at something where it's located causing the issue if it's not getting heavy use. Try Argos or contact Toshiba direct, perhaps Toshiba would give a discounted repair or might fix it free out of goodwill.

You could probably get a new similar spec for €350 or less, getting someone to repair yours is likely to be €100 at least no matter what small part is gone, probably not worth doing as it sounds like the LED screen is fecked.

The one that went is on max 4-5 hours per day, i have an ancient crt that still works.
    The other tv's that went were in a different room and were on a bit longer but not near any heat sources.
    I am going to contact them as after a bit of research it seems a common fault with the model which never showed when i was researching it before buying

• Registered Users Posts: 69,033 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's a 40" Toshiba, have a toshiba laptop for a good few years which has been reliable(will probably break now) so thought i was going to get something reliable again.
    My old philips 40" tv that cost about €900 went after 3 years.

Most Toshiba TVs, unfortunately, are Turkish crap. They don't make them - the rent the brand to Vestel.

You may, however, be very very unlucky instead of it being the kits fault!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The one that went is on max 4-5 hours per day, i have an ancient crt that still works.
    The other tv's that went were in a different room and were on a bit longer but not near any heat sources.
    I am going to contact them as after a bit of research it seems a common fault with the model which never showed when i was researching it before buying

Some brands like Sony give a 5 year gurantee, could be worth looking at one of those next. If the TV has a common fault they should have had to rectify it, try to look on electronics forums in the UK to see if any resolution was given to cover some or all of the repair costs.

Advertisement