Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting Out House

Options
  • 09-04-2016 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Just looking for a bit of advice here

In the process of buying a house, planning to rent it out for a few years as I am tied to my current job location for a while.

House will be bought straight ( no mortgage )

Say I rent it out for 700 a month, how much tax would I roughly pay on that?

Would I come out with 350 a month after tax?

I earn approx 45k, wife 30k, if that helps.

Tenants would pay for utilities themselves eg bins, electric, water, tv licence etc

I would pay prtb and house insurance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Location?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

vicwatson wrote: »
    Location?

Co. Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

You would be in the higher income tax bracket so 40%. Add in USC, and whatever other taxes are relevant. Probably around half if not more.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Insurance, tenant costs (advertising, credit checks etc) and maintenance can be claimed as expenses, though. So you'd probably end up with about half of the rent in your pocket at the end of the tax year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Make sure you do your research and are prepared for the possibility of the tenant not paying rent for 18+ months while you spend thousands in legal fees just to go back into a wrecked shell.

Ensure you're aware of the minimum standards required and make a decision on whether you're going to manage the property yourself or via an agent. Take their fee's into consideration, although bear in mind you can offset against tax. An hour spent with an accountant will be a wise investment in doing your research.

Remember a fool and their money are easily parted, it's well worth discussing this plan with a Financial advisor. Is there a better investment strategy that would yield higher returns/similar returns with lower risk. Are you doing this because you're worried about the house prices - what research have you done on that trend? What's the trend on rents in the area?

• Advertisement
Advertisement