Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hyper Light Drifter

Options
  • 09-04-2016 7:50pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭

No thread on this, so here's one!

Surprised the response to this has been so muted (here anyway!), given it's actually quite a noteworthy piece of work. Indeed, if you'd like to see a great example of contemporary world building and how to subtly build an atmosphere, then Hyper Light Drifter is a good choice. With no dialogue, it's all communicated through the world & art design, the stunning visuals and nuanced soundtrack. I'm not always the biggest fan of Disasterpeace (his work was one of the things about the superb It Follows that left me a bit cold) but it fits perfectly here. It's understated, moody and - most importantly - goes silent or extremely minimalist when it has to. When it kicks into higher gear (which is rare) it is always motivated to do so.

The world is fascinating to explore - a post-apocalypse where there are remnants of a (recent?) catastrophe and perhaps another upcoming one. The environments are littered with history and amazing sights - fallen colossi dominate several landscapes - that tell stories without any written or spoken words to fall back on. It's worth exploring thoroughly too, as it's a game rich with secrets, mysteries and hidden passages.

As for the gameplay? Alongside the exploration, it's mostly easy to understand but deceptively deep combat. It works really well. It's punchy (literally in the case of its incredibly satisfying shotgun), visceral and requires constant care. A few neat bonuses - such as a healing mechanism reminiscent of Dark Soul's Estus flasks - keep things interesting. I've heard a few people complain of really tough bosses, but having tackled three of them now I would describe them as tough but absolutely fair and nowhere near as intimidating as some have suggested.

There's a few rough edges. One of the three areas I've finished felt a bit too labyrinthine for my liking, especially with a mostly unhelpful map (although, in contrast, the 'northern' region is a masterpiece of looping level design). A handful of encounters have a few too many grunts in too cramped spaces (and again, in contrast, some of the more epic brawls are seriously satisfying, especially with the glorious 'battle end' animation). And yeah, it runs at 30FPS (if one was to be really generous, it could be argued the restriction is in place to reflect the persistent, crippling plague afflicting the main character and pretty much everybody else he encounters - but that's a generous reading). Also, can't for the life of me get the timing of the chain dash down :(

None of that majorly detracts from what is an uncommonly confident and artful game. It could have easily just been another 16-bit throwback. Thankfully, it's anything but.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Absolutely enjoying the hell out of this game, and barely able to stop raving about it. It's even pretty rare for me to buy a game so close to release, but it just immediately appealed to me (and not only because I'm such a indie game hipster :p ) that I couldn't resist, and I'm damn glad of it.
    Indeed, if you'd like to see a great example of contemporary world building and how to subtly build an atmosphere, then Hyper Light Drifter is a good choice. With no dialogue, it's all communicated through the world & art design, the stunning visuals and nuanced soundtrack.

I think for a lot of the game, it helps somewhat, if not outright requires some degree of literacy in anime because there's a huge degree of influence there. The worldbuilding shows images that are a straight up analogue to many Miyazaki works such as Castle in the Sky, the giant warriors being one part Nausicaa, one part Evangelion, the Drifter reminds me a lot of A****aka what with their seeming struggle with whatever that mass of black tendrils is, the red waters being reference to some of Eva's more nightmare fuel ideas, there's even an enemy I've seen in screenshots that looks like a little Sachiel. Not saying that's a bad thing, drawing on some recognisable themes to build your own world is nothing new, and being honest, it was that influence that drew me to the game in a big way.

But yeah, I am adoring it.

Still no release date for this on consoles, though their site does list Xbox and PS4 so hopefully won't have to wait too long for it.

Difficulty wise how is it guys ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Difficulty wise how is it guys ?

It's a challenge for sure but I don't believe it's quite as punishing as some reviewers have suggested (yet, anyway, and I reckon I'm approaching the final level or close to it). It has taken me no more than two attempts to tackle the three bosses I've encountered. Using the upgrades sensibly levels the playing field too, although some of them are a bit useless. Honestly, it's almost harder to purge the meaning of the story than it is to tackle some of the tougher encounters - which I consider a good thing :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just finished it there. The final boss may have taken me a few more than two goes :pac:

But yes, can only reaffirm pretty much everything I said in the OP. Loved that it didn't overstay its welcome - a focused, pacy experience that nonetheless boasts plenty of bonuses and secrets if you want to spend more time with it. Beautiful final sequence as well, once you've made it through the bullet hell of the boss anyway!

One tip:
    upgrade the shotgun!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I've been at it about 6 hours, but just been wandering around for a lot of that uncovering as many secrets as I can in areas I've already visited. Its definitely a game that rewards you for searching.

• Advertisement

I didn't know chain dashing was a thing. I was wondering why the dashing seemed inconsistent and why I'd sometimes bounce off a wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,367 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I've been watching videos of this since i cant afford it till i get paid, and i love the game so far. Very Flashback meets Ninja Gaiden meets Dark Souls

PS4 and Xbox One release on July 26th , really looking forward to trying this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Currently 20% off (11.99) for PS4 preorders

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Doodleking

Can I buy it on Steam?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Doodleking wrote: »
    Can I buy it on Steam?

Yes, €19.99, http://store.steampowered.com/app/257850.
    Or €17.99 on the Humble Bundle store, https://www.humblebundle.com/store/hyper-light-drifter.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

10% more off the HB version if you are subscribed to Humble Monthly (€16.20)

Picked it up today, was going to wait as it was 19.99 on Xbox but then noticed today it was 25% off for this week.

Loving the atmosphere so far and that it pretty much left to the player to work things out at the moment. Didn't play much yet though. In the 1st town thinking I had to use that central diamond to open up those barriers but that didn't work, met a drunk who I assumed was either just telling a story through pictures or was showing a side quest maybe? I should look for his attackers?

There are more folks there but can't be interacted with.

Edit: Fast forward a few hours..... yeah theres going to be some swearing at this!!!!!!!

Finished it earlier , mixed thoughts on it as a whole now. The narrative wasn't nearly as clever as they wanted you to think it was I thought. It was pretty straight forward in the end. Needed more mini bosses and the whole southern section felt different and less well thought out than the other 3 areas, it felt unfinished or thrown together almost.

EDIT: Whole time I was playing this , I was reminded of 'a Link to the past' more than any other game, maybe because of the map screen??? I don't know but I would loved to see what this team could do with that kind of game. Make " A link to vania souls" or something lol

Oh the bosses, they were tough but fair. They all had a trick that wasn't too obscure but wasn't too easy to master either. So even after 5-10 deaths you never felt like you couldn't kill them with a few more tries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I downloaded this yesterday and played about 2 hours or so I'd say.

It's a strange one. I found myself frustrated at times yet I was enjoying it enough to keep playing and now I'm thinking about it which is a good sign for a games grip on me.

It's graphics and soundtrack are just amazing.

The combat is slick for the most part unless the small space gets over run with enemies which can be slightly irritating.

The combat reminds me a bit of dark souls. Learn an enemies movement and move in and out as necessary.

I'm beaten one boss and one to the second part of the map now.

The exploration I think is probably the most interesting part of this. Just feels nice to wander around.

Only negative I see so far is the map is brutal so thankfully it feels nice to explore!!

€14 well spent I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

What is is the best way to go with this PC or PS4, would using the controller be the better option or keyboard and mouse.

Xenji wrote: »
    What is is the best way to go with this PC or PS4, would using the controller be the better option or keyboard and mouse.

I played on xbox but when I was reading up on the chain dash many seemed to have to opinion that it was easier with kb+m. It's not a massive element of the game when you need to execute long chain dashes but there were a few parts I found it very frustrating with a controller. i gave up trying for the 800 combo to unlock a certain outfit which I believe is relatively easy with a mouse :(

Seems like an ideal game for controller. I played on PC with an xbox controller.

The chain dash I found pretty much impossible to pull off with a controller, just couldn't get the timing down. I didn't bother testing with KB&M but it's the only noteworthy point in a game that is otherwise pretty much ideal for a gamepad. Thankfully the dash is entirely redundant outside a handful of collectibles, and the game is easily completed without it.

• Advertisement

The chain dash I found pretty much impossible to pull off with a controller, just couldn't get the timing down. I didn't bother testing with KB&M but it's the only noteworthy point in a game that is otherwise pretty much ideal for a gamepad. Thankfully the dash is entirely redundant outside a handful of collectibles, and the game is easily completed without it.

I went to the trouble of trying to get the gear that allegedly increases the window per press of the button and got it after an hour of trying .... of course you had to chain dash to get it :mad:

To find that it f'd me up even more as I was so used to the old way. The trick to getting it going is to press A again at the end of the dash and it works every time but to get it to 800 without crashing or even close to 20 even is a bitch with a pad :(

Advertisement