Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for help with ride in lawnmower

Options
  • 09-04-2016 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi all,

We have a 13.5HP (Diamond IC Briggs & Stratton) powered Mountfield ride on. Out for first cut of the year last week and it has developed an issue between the engagement of the blades and the connection circled in the photo.

The connection shown is made up of a wire (on the left) running from the engine, presume it's the cut out, and the circled wire which runs to the PCB under the dash.

When these wires are connected as shown in photo, the engine labours and dies as soon as the blades are engaged. However, if we disconnect the circled wire and try to engage the blades, all runs fine and there is no problem. In order to turn off engine via key, we have to reattach connection as shown in photo. We have checked the grass box and blade lever sensors and both seem to be fine.

Does it seem like an earthing issue?

Thanks for any feedback. Much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Duckytech wrote: »
    Hi all,

We have a 13.5HP (Diamond IC Briggs & Stratton) powered Mountfield ride on. Out for first cut of the year last week and it has developed an issue between the engagement of the blades and the connection circled in the photo.

The connection shown is made up of a wire (on the left) running from the engine, presume it's the cut out, and the circled wire which runs to the PCB under the dash.

When these wires are connected as shown in photo, the engine labours and dies as soon as the blades are engaged. However, if we disconnect the circled wire and try to engage the blades, all runs fine and there is no problem. In order to turn off engine via key, we have to reattach connection as shown in photo. We have checked the grass box and blade lever sensors and both seem to be fine.

Does it seem like an earthing issue?

Thanks for any feedback. Much appreciated.

Possible faulty seat switch??

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Seat switch could be faulty. I assume blades engaged with a mechanical lever. Are you 100% sure grass box is making its sensor. I'm not really familiar with that mower but is there a sensor to stop you mowing in reverse ? Any chance that sensor or mechanism is incorrectly adjusted hence trying to cut engine ? I doubt its an earthing issue. The wire you are disconnecting is working correctly as it's the "kill" wire which will stop engine when grounded. By disconnecting it you are effectively bypassing all of the safety switches, one of which is gone rogue. Have you access to a multimeter ? Are you ok with electrics ?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Carrigogunnell

Is there a control panel behind the dash it sounds like there a safety switch problem and if switches are ok maybe it's a circuit break down

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duckytech

Possible faulty seat switch??

Hi tom, I checked this switch by simply sitting up and down on the seat. Engine cut out as expected with the handbrake deactivated. Would I need to test this switch some other way? Thanks.

Needles73 wrote: »
    Seat switch could be faulty. I assume blades engaged with a mechanical lever. Are you 100% sure grass box is making its sensor. I'm not really familiar with that mower but is there a sensor to stop you mowing in reverse ? Any chance that sensor or mechanism is incorrectly adjusted hence trying to cut engine ? I doubt its an earthing issue. The wire you are disconnecting is working correctly as it's the "kill" wire which will stop engine when grounded. By disconnecting it you are effectively bypassing all of the safety switches, one of which is gone rogue. Have you access to a multimeter ? Are you ok with electrics ?

Hi Needles,

I have checked the grass box switch and it works fine. I also checked the continuity of the switch with a DMM and switch looks sound.

I checked the blade lever sensor for continuity in the same fashion with a DMM. Blades are engaged with a mechanical lever. There is no sensor to prevent the mower mowing in reverse Needles.

Thanks Needles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Is there a seat sensor and have u checked it ? It could be a problem with wiring or pcb itself

Needles73 wrote: »
    Is there a seat sensor and have u checked it ? It could be a problem with wiring or pcb itself

Hi needles, yeah there is indeed a seat sensor and we checked this by running the mower with the cut out switch intact and handbrake off. When we got off the seat, the engine cut out and when we sat back down on the seat the engine runs normal.

Apart from testing in this way we not sure how else we can test the seat as the switch seems concealed within the seat itself.

By the looks of things it's a switch or pcb fault that has to be giving us this issue. I will look further and isolate all switches and wires back to pcb to trace for a faulty connection or damaged wire.

Thanks to all for their input!

Advertisement