Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mushroom Question!

Options
  • 09-04-2016 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31,921 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

This may seem like a stupid question but I have to ask anyway.

In Super Valu there are "Large Flat Mushrooms". Are they Portobello mushrooms?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

The're from Kerry:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Nope, just flat mushrooms although they are similar. Think portobello is a particular strain.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,921 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

RasTa wrote: »
    Nope, just flat mushrooms although they are similar. Think portobello is a particular strain.

It's very hard to get them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Mars Bar wrote: »
    It's very hard to get them!

I was in Tesco in Clare Hall this morning and they had both flat and portobello mushrooms. I can't tell the difference once they've been cooked. Maybe it's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

RasTa wrote: »
    Think portobello is a particular strain.

seems it is a particular species and portobello is to do with maturity of that species.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agaricus_bisporus
    Among English speakers, A. bisporus is known by many names. A young specimen with a closed cap and either pale white or light brown flesh is known as a button mushroom or white mushroom. In strains with darker flesh, the immature mushroom is variously marketed as a cremini mushroom, baby portobello, baby bella, mini bella, portabellini, Roman mushroom, Italian mushroom, or brown mushroom. At this stage of maturation, the cap also may begin to open slightly. In maturity, the mushroom is called a portobello.[8] The French name is champignon de Paris ("Paris mushroom")

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 galanatalia

Portobello mushroom is only a big brown mushroom. It was named Portobello as an issue of a marketing brand. The variety is Agaricus bísporus, var. brunnescens, when the mushroom is little is called crimini. As rubadub said, there are many other names. It is a cultivate mushroom, so it should be easy to find them. I think I saw them at tesco.

Advertisement