Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitness Tracker

Options
  • 09-04-2016 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

I'm looking for recommendations on a fitness tracker - I've just started getting into running and the gym more so would like to get something that would track my steps and sleep! I'm not pushed at all about my phone notifications coming through on it but would like it to have a pretty decent app - my budget would be about 150ish max.

I've been looking at the Fitbit Charge/Charge HR and also the Garmin Vivofit, they're all on offer in Argos at the moment. I like the idea of the heartrate monitor with the Charge HR but just wondering if anyone has any opinions on either of these trackers or any recommendations for more suitable ones?

Ideally I'd like one with a screen to display the time as well. I see some cheaper ones in Argos like the Nuband but I've never heard of it before and don't really know what it's like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

I've the Charge HR and find it rubbish.
    It was mildly interesting at the start but I gave up wearing it after a month.
    It has a custom USB cable which is annoying. Battery doesn't last a week so I couldn't leave the cable at work as it often died at the weekend.
    The mobile app is the most annoying bit. Absolute pain in the ass that frequently struggles to sync.

You can buy mine if you like 😀

Best bet is to pay the extra and buy a Garmin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

The Fitbit Charge and ecosystem that goes with it (dashboard, scales, etc) is fine from a user experience perspective for most people. It's not rubbish. If firmware and app are kept up to date it syncs fine. It's reasonable accurate for running in terms of distance recording and HRM.

I've evaluated most popular devices. I've also used the Fitbit *Surge* worldwide - from Finland to China.

GPS drains the battery, but whatever.

if you want an entry level device that's a bit of fun then try the Xiaomi Mi Band (about 15 euros). It's similar to the Fitbit Flex. No built-in HRM.

If it's HRM for running you want (frankly I never use it and the focus on it by runners is completely overdone in terms of performance monitoring) and you're reasonably committed to running then consider pushing the boat out to the Garmin 235. The UX is good, HRM integrated, and it's Garmin. (It's 300 EUR plus however, and with the fall in price of the OG Fenix 3 the price point difference might encourage you to go to the Fenix 3, though it does not have integrated HRM like the the 235 and styling isn't as good as the 235 IMO). If you just want to explore device possibilities then pick a lower priced Garmin device.

If you want super HRM Big Data then the Basis (formerly Basis Peak) is the best data gatherer and visualizations par excellence of your personal data there is, but it's really for the Quantified Self fanboi.

Advertisement