Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexual Assualt Monasterevin

Options
  • 10-04-2016 12:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭

http://www.kildarenow.com/news/gardai-currently-investigating-the-assault-of-an-underage-girl-in-monasterevin-late-last-night/85297

Has anyone heard anything about this yet.

I have been trawling internet news sites for any kind of update and all I can find is location and the briefest of details, so sparse that it makes a father of two girls worry. It sems to be the same news release on the news sites I come across so far

The location (Skirteen) being where it is draws such inference that I hope it can't be, and I hope that some one knows more and can put any fears to rest.

I am loath to post this in After hours in case of malinformed/ racist/ hysterical comments that can show up there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭obnicc

Haven't heard any updates either I'm afraid, read a few articles but all have said that the gardai haven't released any information because the girl is a minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Is Kildare Now a bit like the most inappropriately, ironically named online news source of its time, the "Liberal"?

Already this story cropped up on a certain FB Page (not Kildare Now) & the inference made by the Admins. was that it was done by a Foreigner/Foreigners & esp. of a particular religion (due to the agenda of that page rather than actual fact).

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

Have heard it on kfm news and Facebook with no update or details. Am always a bit suspicious when the Garda issue a statement using the word"Alleged "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

always beware of any report that says "alleged" - It the media's cop-out word.

There was an alleged kidnapping in Athy a few weeks ago. The usual FB hysteria and then a few hour later gardai said there was no incident. - Basically an unruly kid was being admonished by their parent, some local eejit put one and one together, got 5,000 and starting say that they saw some kid being attacked.

If you have any concerns, call the gardai and ask if there anything to the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

macnug wrote: »
    The way I see it is there was an assault on a girl by one of the refugees housed in the town an the guards are keeping it quiet as to not incite any reprisals or someone with an agenda is trying to make it look like it is. Either way I'd like to know what's going on because I don't live to far from the town myself.

No one really cares "how you see it". The way people see things are what snowballs in word of mouth which grows into "fact" before you know it.

Don't make another factless speculatory post like that again if you want to keep posting here

Stick to actual facts, folks. You know the real, established ones.

• Advertisement

macnug wrote: »
    The way I see it is there was an assault on a girl by one of the refugees housed in the town an the guards are keeping it quiet as to not incite any reprisals or someone with an agenda is trying to make it look like it is. Either way I'd like to know what's going on because I don't live to far from the town myself.

It this type of racist sh1te that gets uneducated moronic effers causing trouble.

I can assue you Monaterevin has plenty of scum in it - if anythign those in the hazel hotel with make the town a lot better.

I'll have a wild guess that you have not an iota of a clue of who is in the hazel hotel!

FYI - all are very well educated, some are doctors and once they finish their induction, they will most likely get well paid jobs and contribute to the economy.

But facts rarely make a difference to racist people like yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

VincePP wrote: »
    always beware of any report that says "alleged" - It the media's cop-out word.

There was an alleged kidnapping in Athy a few weeks ago. The usual FB hysteria and then a few hour later gardai said there was no incident. - Basically an unruly kid was being admonished by their parent, some local eejit put one and one together, got 5,000 and starting say that they saw some kid being attacked.

If you have any concerns, call the gardai and ask if there anything to the report.

The report is a quote from the Garda Press office, the exact same wording is used in other media outlets, local and national. The word "Alleged" was used by the Gardaí.

The local station won't comment, except to say if you have any information please come forward.

No official update yet just hearing uninformed gossip.

The Athy incident was clarified in the media the next day.

I would like to think I wouldn't be called "some local eejit" if I saw an attempt to force a child in to what later turned out to be the parents vehicle, and called the Gardaí. Should the witness in that case have done nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Folks, start behaving, heed my earlier post or the thread will be shut.

Mod decisions are not for discussion on thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

It this type of racist sh1te that gets uneducated moronic effers causing trouble.

I can assue you Monaterevin has plenty of scum in it - if anythign those in the hazel hotel with make the town a lot better.

I'll have a wild guess that you have not an iota of a clue of who is in the hazel hotel!

FYI - all are very well educated, some are doctors and once they finish their induction, they will most likely get well paid jobs and contribute to the economy.

But facts rarely make a difference to racist people like yourself

And that Vince, it is exactly the kind of bigoted comment that can also cause trouble, and in a way is worse that the post you're commenting on.

There are many wonderful civic minded people in Monasterevin, many of whom welcome refugee's in to the town. And actively have gone out of their way to welcome them, myself included.

After reading and watching what most of these people have had to go through, the most negative comment I heard from others (up until this alleged incident) was "well, they have to live somewhere I suppose" I knew of no animosity towards any of the residents, (again up until this alleged incident).

And that is why I started this thread, to try find out whether if, or preferably not, any of the rumours are true, to which I have received no definitive answer.

And FYI, not being one of the "plenty of scum" but someone whose neighbours are scum according to you, I have tried engage and welcome the new arrivals to the town, in the playground and park with my kids. The families and individuals I have tried talk to so far have all claimed not to be able to speak English, that when I spoke to them I received back dismissive hand signals ,replies of "no English", explanations of "Hotel", "Syria". Hardly indicative of the well educated or doctor material.

Not that deserved people who are less educated are not welcome either.

Boater123 wrote: »
    And that Vince, it is exactly the kind of bigoted comment that can also cause trouble, and in a way is worse that the post you're commenting on.

There are many wonderful civic minded people in Monasterevin, many of whom welcome refugee's in to the town. And actively have gone out of their way to welcome them, myself included.

After reading and watching what most of these people have had to go through, the most negative comment I heard from others (up until this alleged incident) was "well, they have to live somewhere I suppose" I knew of no animosity towards any of the residents, (again up until this alleged incident).

And that is why I started this thread, to try find out whether if, or preferably not, any of the rumours are true, to which I have received no definitive answer.

And FYI, not being one of the "plenty of scum" but someone whose neighbours are scum according to you, I have tried engage and welcome the new arrivals to the town, in the playground and park with my kids. The families and individuals I have tried talk to so far have all claimed not to be able to speak English, that when I spoke to them I received back dismissive hand signals ,replies of "no English", explanations of "Hotel", "Syria". Hardly indicative of the well educated or doctor material.

Not that deserved people who are less educated are not welcome either.

I don't think you understand my post.

There are plenty of Irish people who cause no end of problems both form a social behaviour point of view, theft, scamming, assault etc.

In fact CSO figures show that non Irish people are substantially less likely to commit any offence. However when they do, it gets a much higher level of coverage due to the racist mindset of a small number of people who hate anythignthta does not conform tonthoer own little mindset

Monasterevin overall is quite a decent place and a lot less anti social behaviour and crime than many other towns of it size.

Those in the Hazel Hotel have been pre-screened. And rather than just let them find their own way, they are getting induction on to how life is lived in Ireland.

People could do worse that learn about Syria and what the general Syrian poplation is about - secular, well educated and in the main, non violent.

Similar to people from Northern Ireland in the eighties (I am one of them). And also similar to people from Northern Ireland who moved to London and other parts of UK, the uneducated types belived just one sterotype - "must be IRA". I had my house in london searched twice, my background checked several times and ended up personal friends with local Police sargeant. (Thankfully that stopped any further aggro)

The suspicion? - i worked alone for a USA multinational and had to work strange hours as they were based in Texas and I had "packages" delivered regularly.

Typical English neighbours - kept to themselves, but had no problem gossiping and jumping to conclusions. If they had asked, I would have told them.

So that's my angle. People assume the negative when there are people from a different background. Usually that assumption is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

...In fact CSO figures show that non Irish people are substantially less likely to commit any offence. However when they do, it gets a much higher level of coverage due to the racist mindset of a small number of people who hate anythignthta does not conform tonthoer own little mindset...

Would you give us a link to those statistics please.

I have seen stats that show the non national prison population at 30% of the total while non nationals make up about 12% of the population!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

It's worthwhile to check the Kilcock Court reports in the local newspapers, you may be surprised at the ratio of Irish name against non Irish names. Often about half and half but who's to say how long some people are living in Ireland with non Irish type names.
    I'll have to assume the court reports are correct and the newspapers are not biased on who they are more inclined to report on.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Joe Public wrote: »
    It's worthwhile to check the Kilcock Court reports in the local newspapers, you may be surprised at the ratio of Irish name against non Irish names. Often about half and half but who's to say how long some people are living in Ireland with non Irish type names.
    I'll have to assume the court reports are correct and the newspapers are not biased on who they are more inclined to report on.

biased towards those who give donations to keep names out of the press...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

lordgoat wrote: »
    biased towards those who give donations to keep names out of the press...

You'd do well to prove that allegation

Advertisement