Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Warnings

Options
  • 10-04-2016 9:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭

Just a quick one.

Every time I see a mod warning of "given such and such is more suited to the ranting and raving forum", or "try the ranting and raving forum", I wonder to myself whether the mod realises how much of a smart ass they are?

It's also disrespectful to your fellow mods.

Modding is as hard as you make it. Attempts at being smart or oh so witty warnings just makes it unnecessarily harder.

Other than that, stellar job done by all at the expense of your own free time. I just find it hard to understand why some would spend that free time making like difficult for themselves.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thank you brand new user, you have changed my way of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

Or CT forum that way ---->

Another hilarious one .... not

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

There is legitimately a ranting and raving forum which is actually a pretty kickass forum.

I don't think a mod intends to denigrate the poster by saying that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

There is legitimately a ranting and raving forum which is actually a pretty kickass forum.

I don't think a mod intends to denigrate the poster by saying that.

I'm aware that there's an R&R forum, that was my point when saying that it's disrespectful to fellow mods. It's not denigrating the poster but the R&R Forum and its mods.

And it is kick ass, and ironically way more kick ass than the forums that the aforementioned mods with a smart mouth tend to moderate. :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    I'm aware that there's an R&R forum, that was my point when saying that it's disrespectful to fellow mods. It's not denigrating the poster but the R&R Forum and its mods.

How :confused:

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    How :confused:

When someone makes a post that contravenes a forum charter, why would you tell them to take their rule breaking to another forum?

Because it's called ranting and raving? How funny and witty someone must be to make that sh1t joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

When someone makes a post that contravenes a forum charter, why would you tell them to take their rule breaking to another forum?
    Because it doesn't contravene the charter of the other forum?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Because it's called ranting and raving? How funny and witty someone must be to make that sh1t joke.

The whole purpose of that forum is to give out about XYZ in there in a way that you can't in any other forum (generally). You aren't making a very convincing point.

Gordon wrote: »
    Because it doesn't contravene the charter of the other forum?

What if it's not a rant? What if it's personal abuse? Is it ok to tell that poster to take it to r&r? Nope.

Is it ok to direct tirades about race, religion and sexism to r&r? Nope.

The point is R&R is its own forum with its own rules. More importantly, and I think the posters and mods will probably agree, that R&R is more than just a forum for mindless tirades. Maybe some mods will keep that in mind the next time they're looking for those thanks.

And I'm speaking as a former mod of the forum, and on something that has always pissed me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

What if it's not a rant? What if it's personal abuse? Is it ok to tell that poster to take it to r&r? Nope.

Is it ok to direct tirades about race, religion and sexism to r&r? Nope.

The point is R&R is its own forum with its own rules. More importantly, and I think the posters and mods will probably agree, that R&R is more than just a forum for mindless tirades. Maybe some mods will keep that in mind the next time they're looking for those thanks.

And I'm speaking as a former mod of the forum, and on something that has always pissed me off.

Fire up a few examples of racist and/or personal abuse posts directing people to R&R. Seems to big quite a big issue going by the above, you should have no issue finding a few.

• Advertisement

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Fire up a few examples of racist and/or personal abuse posts directing people to R&R. Seems to big quite a big issue going by the above, you should have no issue finding a few.

It was a general point about R&R having a unique charter that goes beyond being home to mindless tirades that can be redirected there.

I'm getting away from the OP anyway, it wasn't the intention to focus on R&R. I've no problem with a bit of wit in a warning but a sneering tone I wouldn't have thought was ever welcome. It was certainly never a tone implemented by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Ok so you've given a clarification on what you mean, you mean when a response to a racist comment, for example, is directed at the ranting forum? A comment that wouldn't be acceptable in that forum either.

Advertisement