Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Printer

• 10-04-2016 9:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭

I need a home printer that can give good quality results for photos and presentation materials...

What is generally percived as being the best brand of printer & what models do you recommend?

Here's my wishlist:
    • A3 format
    • Scanner (preferably with some level of professional control)
    • Wireless (for mobile phone & tablet)
    • Concealed paper tray
    • Border-less photo prints
    • Affordable...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have given up on home printing a long time ago.

Epson always seem to have a good name, but Canon and HP also have fine models.

Not sure what your quality expectations are if you are printing directly from Phone/Tablet. Usually the finer quality is only realised when you have your file well presented for printing. The output will also depend on the sort of things you are printing. Will they be colour files or mono? Many domestic printers will do OK for colour files but they struggle with mono images. They often have just 4 inks whereas the more expensive ones will have 7 or 8 inks.

As for affordable that will also depend on how you plan to use it. After the initial outlay there is the cost of Ink and Media. That is where the money is. Using non-genuine inks and mis-matched media is how some save money in the short term, but often at the cost of long term quality. Printers do not like to be idle and if left alone will clog and cost more than if they are working.

The good quality printers do not tend to have scanners incorporated just like the good quality scanners are also stand alone.

Unless you have a real need to have a printer it is often much better value to use the services of someone who knows how to print well and send files to them. That I have found is the best bang for your buck.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 LGD42

Thanks for that useful information CabanSail. I have a HP Printer/Scanner that's now reaching the end of it's useful life. I has served me well, but and I agree with you, it's been an expensive experience while all the time limited to A4.

I also found it to be a bit hit and miss with colour photo reproduction. What you see on the screen can be far from what you get from the printer.

Would you suggest some printing services you've found good? I believe it is the way to go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

It depends on your situation.

I have two places I go to locally. One is a Camera Shop that does printing. The staff there understand quality and if there is a problem they will fix the problem (eg. a cast in a mono print) I have negotiated a good price there and it represents good value. There are other places in town which are still slightly cheaper but they are not run by people who appreciate quality.

The other place I go is a guy who does Framing, Matting and Printing. I get him to print my high end work. He is more bespoke and the prices reflect that. His work is excellent and he offers more options than the retail store.

When in Ireland I use 360dpi for the same reasons as above. I have actually sent work there from Australia, had it printed and matted for use without being there. I just ask Steve to have a look at the files and print it as if it were his own work.

I have thought about a printer for home again to have the immediacy but then I get sensible again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 LGD42

Thank you Cabansail for that helpful reply. we have 360dpi in common, and I suspect I'll find a service locally with whom I can do business.

Liam.

Advertisement