Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shay Given

• 10-04-2016 11:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭

Maybe something about this somewhere else already im not sure.

But its been a big talking point the last while, but should he be part of the squad?

He'll be the third choice if he does go and will more than likely not play, but should he bethere for his experience?

His lack of game time at club level should be enough to see not included. I thank i seen that since the last Euros he only played five Premier League matches. His move to Stoke isn't going to help him either by the looks of it.

Should he have just stayed retired? Something that always got me, well not always byt you know what i mean, was insistence at getting every cap going even in meaningless friendlies resulted in no other keeper ever been given a go over the years. Meaning we've never really gotten away from him as an option.

At the moment Westwood and Randolph are the two best keepers we have that are fit to play. I cant understand why Westwood isn't in the running but thats another story.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

It was a joke that he was ever brought back in and made number 1. I think having him around for experience is a good idea, but there's absolutely no question that Elliot, Randolph and Westwood are far better goalkeepers. Shay has been past it for a couple of years at this stage and he really should retire.

I'm not having a go at him or anything, he is an Ireland legend, and obviously he feels he can still contribute, and if the manager is going to continue to select him, then he is obviously going to keep turning up and doing his best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Elliot is injured, and Westwood appears to be out of favour.
    So Given might well be in the squad for his experience.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Westwood should be in the squad ahead of him but clearly there is some bad blood between Westwood and O'Neill so Given is the only other viable option so he will be in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Whats going in with Westwood ? I thought he was called up to be part of the recent friendly squads ? Id have Given there as last last resort. Its a shame Stephen Henderson has been dropped recently at Charlton.. id have given him a look in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,053 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Should be nowhere near the squad IMHO.

He was a liability at last Euros, can't see how he'd be in the squad 4 years later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I like Shay Given but hes not even starting today.

Why did he bother going to Stoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I'd bring Randolfh, Westwood and then a young keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

We're talking about a guy who was on the bench for an Old Firm Derby in January 1994. Bags of experience, yes, but the term over the hill is appropriate. It's a long long time to be a pro and he's too far past his peak to be a part of the playing squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

He's our greatest ever goalkeeper and I would definitely have him in the squad. Elliot is out injured and Westwood, rightly or wrongly, is not in O'Neill's good books.

Considering Randolph has never been at a major tournament before, and he looks to have the jersey at the moment, I'd feel a lot better if he was able to work with a guy like Given who has been there more than once and can give him advice and help him. It would be a sensible decision imo.

• Advertisement

He's our greatest ever goalkeeper and I would definitely have him in the squad. Elliot is out injured and Westwood, rightly or wrongly, is not in O'Neill's good books.

Considering Randolph has never been at a major tournament before, and he looks to have the jersey at the moment, I'd feel a lot better if he was able to work with a guy like Given who has been there more than once and can give him advice and help him. It would be a sensible decision imo.

Completely agree that he's our greatest keeper. I'm perfectly happy for him to be there, I agree that it would be great to have him around. Doesn't mean he has to be in the playing squad though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

He should not be there ahead of Westwood though. If he's going, Forde should be canned. But I still don't expect that, so we got to hope that Randolph never gets an injury in this tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Randolph, Westwood and Given for me. Arguments could be made that Given offers experience. I don't see what arguments could be made for Forde offering something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

mikeym wrote: »
    I like Shay Given but hes not even starting today.

Why did he bother going to Stoke.

Too much of an ego to drop down to the Championship?

8-10 wrote: »
    Completely agree that he's our greatest keeper. I'm perfectly happy for him to be there, I agree that it would be great to have him around. Doesn't mean he has to be in the playing squad though...

Call up packie bonner too sure.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Call up packie bonner too sure.

I don't understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Randolph Forde and Westeood should be our keepers. Shay was a legend in his time but he should have bowed out before now

I don't understand?

Joke?

He's also past it.

Shay is a legend, and he's from my neck of the woods, so I'd usually defend him but sometimes you have to be fair and honest, Shay is well over the hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

CSF wrote: »
    Randolph, Westwood and Given for me. Arguments could be made that Given offers experience. I don't see what arguments could be made for Forde offering something.

I'd agree and for the same reasons. It's unlikely the third choice would see any action anyway but if there was a crisis and they were needed, I'd be more confident in Given stepping up than Forde. Westwood should be 2nd choice. If Forde can't get into a League One team it doesn't say a lot and they see him every day in training. He put in a couple of good performances in qualifying in fairness but they were a while ago now and he's 36 so it's probably a terminal decline.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I don't understand?

Joke?

He's also past it.

Shay is a legend, and he's from my neck of the woods, so I'd usually defend him but sometimes you have to be fair and honest, Shay is well over the hill.

That's exactly what I said!

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

sugarman wrote: »
    Well for a start Forde has offered more in last 4 years than Given did.

Zero is not more than zero. Given is a previously good goalkeeper with experience who is now no longer good. Fords is a keeper who was never good who is still no longer good.

One way another we are bringing a ****e 3rd keeper who we won't want near the pitch so it may aswell be one who can bring something else to the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

regardless of 'experience' or how likely a player is to play, in particular a third choice keeper... anyone selected for the Euros should be selected on their playing ability no matter what position, no matter who they are or what they have achieved in the past. Everyone picked should be picked on the basis that they will play minutes how likely or not is not the issue. No time for sentiment at this level of football. If Given himself had been serious about wanting to stay involved with Ireland he should have pushed for first team football and dropped down a division. Took the handy option and pulls the bigger check, ok good for the last hurrah as regards the finances... ok and did I fail to mention he is over the hill and over weight... a shadow of his former self to put it kindly... Stephen Henderson all the way over Given...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Strumms wrote: »
    regardless of 'experience' or how likely a player is to play, in particular a third choice keeper... anyone selected for the Euros should be selected on their playing ability no matter what position, no matter who they are or what they have achieved in the past. Everyone picked should be picked on the basis that they will play minutes how likely or not is not the issue. No time for sentiment at this level of football. If Given himself had been serious about wanting to stay involved with Ireland he should have pushed for first team football and dropped down a division. Took the handy option and pulls the bigger check, ok good for the last hurrah as regards the finances... ok and did I fail to mention he is over the hill and over weight... a shadow of his former self to put it kindly... Stephen Henderson all the way over Given...

Agreed. The only way Given should be going at all is if he had coaching qualifications. But would that be doing Mr Bonnar out out of a job?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I've no problem with Given going as 3rd choice once he's happy to go in that role. The fact he was put straight back into the team and it took injury to remove him makes me fear he won't be and may be a negative influence if he's not happy about sitting on the bench.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cms88

I've no problem with Given going as 3rd choice once he's happy to go in that role. The fact he was put straight back into the team and it took injury to remove him makes me fear he won't be and may be a negative influence if he's not happy about sitting on the bench.

This is true. If im not mistaken at one stage with Newcastle he got injured and when he was fit again he didn't go straight back into the team and he went off in a bit of a sulk and wanted a transfer. The same i think happened with Man City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Zero is not more than zero. Given is a previously good goalkeeper with experience who is now no longer good. Fords is a keeper who was never good who is still no longer good.

One way another we are bringing a ****e 3rd keeper who we won't want near the pitch so it may aswell be one who can bring something else to the table.

I dont see why we couldnt bring a young lad, bring him along for the experience. Shay can always come as a coach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

astonaidan wrote: »
    I dont see why we couldnt bring a young lad, bring him along for the experience. Shay can always come as a coach

My thoughts too, do we have a young keeper for the future? Ian Lawlor at city the only one i know of. Any others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

POKERKING wrote: »
    My thoughts too, do we have a young keeper for the future? Ian Lawlor at city the only one i know of. Any others?

Liam Bossin whos highly rated at Anderlecht or Ian Lawlor would be the lads Id take 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

That's not very fair.
    We had 7 points from the first 3 games of the qualifying campaign, with Forde in goals.

He was excellent out in Gelsenkirchen, and also made one great save out in Georgia I recall

When Given came back, they were surprised as Forde did not deserve to be dropped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭eamonpk

Shay Given was a legend and he is in danger of spoiling the legacy he left. He retired form international and should have left it at that but came back as he wasn't getting regular football. I was really amazed to see O'Neill putting him in the team against Germany

Four years ago in Euro 2012 was the first time I thought anything negative about him as he had been brilliant for Ireland. But he played in the 2012 finals and it was obvious he was injured. He should have declared this to Trap and let the No. 2 play but he didn't and since it has been a bit desperate to see him holding out. He should have retired after the last Euros and he is still in the reckoning for the squad when there are more than enough keepers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

sugarman wrote: »
    If he was serious about wanting to play. He'd have went to Middlesbrough to play first team football and help get them promoted.

But he took a pay cheque over playing.

That's says enough for me.

The lad is in the twilight of his career. Why wouldn't he take the dosh. He has the rest of his life when he is finished.

Given has been a great servant but his injury at City and a season on the bench probably put him in decline a little earlier than he would have if he was a starter.

The chap would have turned up to the opening of a letter for Ireland and that is the professionalism some players lack.

Met him one day and he is a gentleman. Told him I was a Villa fan and he introduced me to Clark and chatted for a while and was a genuinely nice guy. Let's hope we have another

Advertisement